As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — The Most Horrible Place in the World

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2013 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — The Most Horrible Place in the World

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really want to know what that one kid is burying.

• Nuclear MosquitoNuclear Mosquito Lord of the Inner VoidRegistered User regular
    I once was a happy camper, but then I took an arrow to the knee. (More or less)

There is no such thing as can't: You're only experiencing difficulties while trying...
  • CinaferoCinafero Registered User new member
    Those panicky facial expressions of the camper with the arrow in his knee remind me so much of Skadi and Diseasoid.

• Justin138Justin138 HartsvilleRegistered User regular
    Yea I agree Would love to see what he is burying !

• SchnippshlySchnippshly Registered User new member
    That's cute and all, but Game of Thrones definitely isn't for kids...

• HeliolaterHeliolater Employ me! Connecticut, USARegistered User regular
    The way the foreground action slowly reveals the kid with the shovel, making you go back over the panels to see what he's been doing that time kind of reminds me of all the brilliance in The Watchmen.

Like 'Choose Your Own Adventure's? Play Chimerical, over at my humble webspace. Or, you know, read some of my serial stories.
    http://thedowncity.com/chimerical/
    Also... let me tell you about Homestuck...
  • mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    "That's cute and all, but Game of Thrones definitely isn't for kids..." Wrong, A Song of Ice And Fire should be taught along with Shakespeare

• KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    I definitely read some dark stuff that I wasn't supposed to as a little kid, so it doesn't seem as weird to me for Malachi to be a fan of the Song of Ice and Fire books. :]

• BlakXIIIBlakXIII Registered User new member
    I started reading the Dark Tower series when I was eight, this strip kinda hit home for me. I even remember being at summer camp and constantly rereading The Gunslinger because it was my only book.

• there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    Betcha wish you'd stayed at that camp forever, huh? Or are you one of those weirdos who actually like the ending of Dark Tower?

• 253Lboard253Lboard Registered User new member
    looking at the fifth panel, did that kid find a dead body and there is an unspoken rule that if you find a dead camper, you have to bury the body?

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    253Lboard wrote: »
    looking at the fifth panel, did that kid find a dead body and there is an unspoken rule that if you find a dead camper, you have to bury the body?

There's an unspoken rule that if you juggle knives, there will be casualties, and it's your job to clean up. :D

• ThesammichmasterThesammichmaster Registered User regular
    No hate towards Game of Thrones fans, but Game of Thrones SUCKS.

• RockXLightRockXLight Registered User new member
    edited August 2017
    The sudden mention of a popular real-world franchise not only dates the comic (until now I was thinking this could have been the 80's or90's), it takes me out of story. I've been really enjoying the comic so far, but I can't stand when writers do this, because... it's like, you're getting to know these characters and slowly becoming engrossed with their situation, then suddenly it's "Hey, readers, here's this media franchise I really like, and the main character likes it, too!".

RockXLight on
    RockXLight wrote: »
    The sudden mention of a popular real-world franchise not only dates the comic (until now I was thinking this could have been the 80's or90's), it takes me out of story. I've been really enjoying the comic so far, but I can't stand when writers do this, because... it's like, you're getting to know these characters and slowly becoming engrossed with their situation, then suddenly it's "Hey, readers, here's this media franchise I really like, and the main character likes it, too!".

How do you feel about Rick Springfield?

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    briguy wrote: »
    RockXLight wrote: »

How do you feel about Rick Springfield?

Rick Springfield is timeless, so RockXLight will be fine with it.

AdamRW on
  • NimskitNimskit Registered User new member
    Game of thrones was first written in 1996. It doesn't say he watches it- hello, terrible parents?- but if he had no access to the books he would also never know what happens at the end. I don't think it dates it all that badly. No less than someone mentioning Weird Al.

• Great UlcerGreat Ulcer Registered User regular
    He's a bit young to be reading A Song of Ice and Fire isn't he?

He's a bit young to be reading A Song of Ice and Fire isn't he?

I think initially he was conceived as older than he ended up being. Unless they changed it, he was listed as being 12 on the character page and he’s younger than that now because it worked better.

• GraemGraem Registered User regular
    At this rate, it's for the best, Malachi.