As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NaNoWriMo is over, but the writing don't stop

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just settled for A Tale of One (1) City

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm calling mine Shadow's Edge. On account of the ship is called Penumbra. Which is probably symbolic, or something, I don't know.

Metaphor.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I also need a title. Going to go generate some random ones until something clicks.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    okay, my makeshift Scriptfrenzy will be starting on the 1st as well

today I finalize my structure, tomorrow is all character work

and then we will see how much chunks of greatness come out of my vomit draft

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Oct 31.

Deep Breath.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm not a writer and every time I've done this in the past I've stopped after only a couple thousand words. I'm going to attempt it again this year but this time I'll use Google docs to write it. I do fuckall at work every day so instead of reading a book for 5-7 hours a day I'll see about trying to write for that much time.

I've done no planning at all, just gonna make shit up as I go. I sat down twice to at least come up with a general idea but I couldn't even concentrate for long enough to do that. Oh well! :bz

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    okay I've got my high level structure done, gotta make a lot of scene summaries for each sequence and then character trees goooooooooooooo

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've been sitting on this story here for a...couple of years now. I think I'm ready to just say fuck it and at least try to write it down.

Even though in my head, it's a tv show. Which is only really a problem if I let it be.

• Options
    winderwinder Registered User regular
    So I signed up to do this yesterday and have not done much planning, my housemates are both doing it though so I should be suitably motivated. Getting a little nervous!

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Been thinking of giving this a shot, at least unofficially. I even have an idea I liked up until today when I started seeing striking similarities between key elements and Pullman's Dark Materials.
    Hopefully it won't end up so similar that I'm put off of it. It's really just the classic Stranger in a Strange Land, Girl tries to find Missing Family Member type of thing.

• Options
    I haven't actually even looked at the half of a novel I did last year

it was your standard interstellar commando badass tries to save world while husband develops art career type thing

you know

standard shit

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I got my barebones outline done for the first book of the Sci-Fi Fantasy Epic I've had in my head for years now. I'm hoping to flesh it out a bit more with the time I have until the 1st.

I am so excited and soooo nervous to actually get the story down for it. Tentatively titled: The Watchers.

I am a notorious perfectionist and its the reason I haven't gotten more than three chapters into it before. This time though, I haven't told my wife or friends that I am doing this so they won't ask to read it. And knowing that no one is going to read this is just what I need to not care about the eventual crappy quality.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Finally nailed down my story

well, the basics of it. I still need a few more details.

The gist of it is:
    Late-20s early-30s assistant Professor of ______ History with a kid on the way is dragged on an adventure by his, mostly absentee but still loving father, who has been basically Indiana Jones his entirely life which is why he was never home. Nothing super fancy or intricate, just a fun adventure story about a son and a father and finding time for what is important in your life.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Finally nailed down my story

well, the basics of it. I still need a few more details.

The gist of it is:
    Late-20s early-30s assistant Professor of ______ History with a kid on the way is dragged on an adventure by his, mostly absentee but still loving father, who has been basically Indiana Jones his entirely life which is why he was never home. Nothing super fancy or intricate, just a fun adventure story about a son and a father and finding time for what is important in your life.

obviously the answer to your fill in the blank is 'eldritch'

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    what's the adventure about

surely that will influence the kind of history whatshisname is a professor of

also where am i supposed to find time to do this in between all my breeding pokemon and creeding assassins

• Options
    That's pretty much where I am stuck.

I know the ending, I know the kind of beats I want them to go through, but I don't know what to make the actual adventure about.

I don't want it to be straight up "Yo this is Raiders of the Lost Ark" but I want a similar tone

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I know the ending, I know the kind of beats I want them to go through, but I don't know what to make the actual adventure about.

I don't want it to be straight up "Yo this is Raiders of the Lost Ark" but I want a similar tone

eldritch horrors

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

eldritch horrors
    Man I dunno if I want it to have magic at all!

I was thinking more of a grounded race for a precious artifact to keep it from going on the black market.

My dad's been going through some hardcore medical stuff this year so I really want the focus to be on the father/son relationship and I feel like throwing in some magic and stuff could detract from it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »

eldritch horrors
    Man I dunno if I want it to have magic at all!

I was thinking more of a grounded race for a precious artifact to keep it from going on the black market.

My dad's been going through some hardcore medical stuff this year so I really want the focus to be on the father/son relationship and I feel like throwing in some magic and stuff could detract from it.

eldritch father/relationship

nah man I'm just playin' do what you feel

your dad doing okay?

• Options
    Kinda!

He's getting treatment for his cancer but it is kind of a lot of cancer

He's 68 and has smoked since he was a kid and is a functioning alcoholic who owns bars so it ain't really surprising in the least but it still sucks.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Can I just write 50,000 words worth of short stories instead of a novel?

I guess that kind of goes against it being National Novel Writing Month, huh?

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Can I just write 50,000 words worth of short stories instead of a novel?

I guess that kind of goes against it being National Novel Writing Month, huh?

dog I'm using it to write a script

the way I see it if you're writing every day for a month then you're doing the work

@Blankzilla glad he's doing okayish, really pulling for you

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I was kind of being glib, but yeah, as long as you are writing for the month you are following it in spirit, at least.

I have a couple friends in the area who are wanting to do this. On the fence about participating myself. But best of luck to those who do.

• Options
    Yeah I am thinking of doing a script myself since, y'know, that is what I want to do with my writing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

is it like a lara croft style history adventure

are they uncovering terrible secrets from the past

because i mean, there's a lot of history you could choose from, just veer away from the crusades and you're fine

• Options
    here is my pitch

The Basilisk Merchants

prague, 1601. the holy roman emperor Rudolf II is the wealthiest and most credulous man in christendom. an irish mercenary, James Talbot, and a polish mystic, Boleslaus Czernichóvus, come up with an elaborate and fraudulent scheme to set themselves up as court magicians. everything goes flawlessly, their deception is not discovered and nobody gets burnt at the stake. also there is a cassowary

• Options
    VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    in 2011 I tried doing this; got to about 35k words with The Book Suppository, a sordid science fiction tale about the ability to absorb the knowledge contained in books instantaneously through a moderately-sized suppository.

this year, I'll be doing Man Digs Hole

it's going to be about a man who digs a hole

• Options
    KiraKiraKiraKiraKiraKira Fishwife Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    My wife has talked me into trying this this year, mostly because last year she had no peers to share her travails with while she tried it. So we're both going to attempt this together.
    That wife person he is referring to is me. Hello!
    I attempted nano2011, wrote 6,500 words in the first week and then stopped. I had super fun though and really wanted to try it again. But last year I happened to give birth on October 26 so I thought that maybe I should just pay attention to, you know, raising my progeny and whatnot.
    I have written a PhD which was about 200,000 words, so I know what it is to sit down and just write every day even if you are not feeling it. And I have about two thirds of an outline for this year, which is pretty great compared to the first time I tried nano. So why do I still feel this intense dread?

condiemint,pc,days.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Because 50,000 words ain't nuthing ta fuck wit

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I was really, really disciplined, and often exceeded my daily goal by a few hundred words, and I still barely scraped 50k by the deadline

it's rough, make no mistake

but you can do it

also I think I'm probably going to be spending most of my day at work tomorrow writing character trees and scene outlines before actually starting my script, although I have enough to do the first 25 pages or so without much issue

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I have 13.5 hours to think of a badass opening line.

I am going to go mad.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    smof wrote: »
    I have 13.5 hours to think of a badass opening line.

I am going to go mad.

allow me to share the best anti-procrastination tool I have ever been given

ahem

write badly, smof

write as badly as you can

you better make that line the worst line you can think of, dammit

• Options
    never write good opening lines, that way lies madness

on no account should you attempt to make your first sentence pleasing in and of itself

just think of the first thing your audience is going to need to know and set it down on paper

• Options
    All right. I have 13.5 hours to think of an opening line that is an entire paragraph long, contains no less than 5 unpronouncable fantasy words, and has three adverbs or adjectives for every word or noun.

• Options
    smof wrote: »
    All right. I have 13.5 hours to think of an opening line that is an entire paragraph long, contains no less than 5 unpronouncable fantasy words, and has three adverbs or adjectives for every word or noun.

perfect

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The weather beaten trail wound ahead into the dust racked climes of the baren land which dominates large portions of the Norgolian empire. Age worn hoof prints smothered by the sifting sands of time shone dully against the dust splattered crust of earth. The tireless sun cast its parching rays of incandescense from overhead, half way through its daily revolution. Small rodents scampered about, occupying themselves in the daily accomplishments of their dismal lives. Dust sprayed over three heaving mounts in blinding clouds, while they bore the burdonsome cargoes of their struggling overseers.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    (Not mine, I can only dream of being that bad.)

• Options
    Oh wow. Where is that from?

• Options
    The Eye of Argon
    "Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

A sweeping blade of flashing steel riveted from the massive barbarians hide enameled shield as his rippling right arm thrust forth, sending a steel shod blade to the hilt into the soldiers vital organs. The disemboweled mercenary crumpled from his saddle and sank to the clouded sward, sprinkling the parched dust with crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.

The enthused barbarian swilveled about, his shock of fiery red hair tossing robustly in the humid air currents as he faced the attack of the defeated soldier's fellow in arms.

"Damn you, barbarian" Shrieked the soldier as he observed his comrade in death.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    God above