As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita Games for PAX

gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
With the Vita being cheaper and having so many more games this year, especially indies, I expect to see many more of them this year. I'm wondering about the best Vita games to bring.

I think the obvious choices are Sonic Racing and Dive Kick, and I'll make sure to have those two. I might also get Injustice Gods Among Us for PAX. What Vita games are other folks bringing?

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I just got a vita. Wipeout seems like a natural fit. It's cheap...free if you have plus.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    i will be bringing uncharted,resistence,2k the show maybe a few others if I pick some more up

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Killzone, Injustice, DoA 5, Dragon's Crown

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    GausGaus Registered User regular
    All the games that are on Plus if you have a big enough memory card, but specifically I would say Ragnarok Odyssey Ace if it's out by then. Soul Sacrifice, Hot Shots Golf and Dragon's Crown would be my favorites.

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • Options
    randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    Definitely Killzone.
    The co-op in Guacamelee is a lot of fun, too.

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • Options
    I don't think Killzone has AdHoc play, and the wifi at the Con is kittens at best.

• Options
    randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    Never noticed that Killzone didn't support ad-hoc but I believe you're right. That stinks.

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    If I get around to picking up Killzone and Injustice I'll be bringing those :)

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    KomiKomi Registered User regular
    Planning to get a Vita around Black Friday time. I'm gonna be packing a whole lot of indies by PAX. Possibly Project DIVA F, Ragnarok Odyssey, Technika Tune if I can find a copy of it somewhere. I also might get a copy of whatever Monster Hunter version I can off PSN. From what I'm aware I should be able to get Freedom Unite or Portable 3rd.

... Other than that, I don't know! I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. O:

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    The only thing my Vita has been useful for at PAX is the Twitter app. And using the 3G on it as a backup when my cell phone quits out on me.

• Options
    RichSoCash wrote: »
    The only thing my Vita has been useful for at PAX is the Twitter app. And using the 3G on it as a backup when my cell phone quits out on me.

I think this might change with the price drop and the increase in games, especially indies. I'm surpised that nobody else mentioned Dive Kick? It was so popular last year. I watched it played and have wanted to get it ever since. It was on my "must-buy-before-pax" list, but if other Vita owners are not going to play it or have it, I might prioritize other games.

• Options
    The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    Komi wrote: »
    Planning to get a Vita around Black Friday time. I'm gonna be packing a whole lot of indies by PAX. Possibly Project DIVA F, Ragnarok Odyssey, Technika Tune if I can find a copy of it somewhere. I also might get a copy of whatever Monster Hunter version I can off PSN. From what I'm aware I should be able to get Freedom Unite or Portable 3rd.

... Other than that, I don't know! I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. O:

Highly recommend Project Diva F. I prefer the portable version to the PS3 version even though there isn't an English port. Other than that, I will have Hotshots and Sonic All Star Racing. I will also probably be playing the remastered Final Fantasy X.

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • Options

Highly recommend Project Diva F. I prefer the portable version to the PS3 version even though there isn't an English port. Other than that, I will have Hotshots and Sonic All Star Racing. I will also probably be playing the remastered Final Fantasy X.
    Komi and I are gonna Diva it up at East in console freeplay. You are welcome to join. It'll be cool to meet some other Diva fans.

• Options
    Komi and I are gonna Diva it up at East in console freeplay. You are welcome to join. It'll be cool to meet some other Diva fans.

Yea, that sounds like fun. I will definitely swing by to play some Diva with ya.

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • Options

Yea, that sounds like fun. I will definitely swing by to play some Diva with ya.

Sounds like a party! Considering Rich here has been taunting and tormenting me for the past two months on how he has DIVA and I... have no DIVA at all. ...and pizza rolls. But that's not really relevant.

SOON. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

also I didn't know DiveKick was on Vita, I think I'll have to jump on that too then. That could be pretty awesome.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    Planning to pick up a Vita either Black Friday or soon after, going to bring Killzone.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    you will not be able to play PS+ games without wifi. BCC wifi is terrible I wouldn't rely on it

• Options
    Technika Tune if I can find a copy of it somewhere.

I actually got my copy of Technika Tune at PAX last year. Video Games New York always has a good supply of imports.

• Options
    you will not be able to play PS+ games without wifi. BCC wifi is terrible I wouldn't rely on it

That's incorrect. As long as you have time left, [ Hold down the screen until you can select the information on the game bubble > Information > Remaining Time ] you'll be fine. The only thing that sometimes gives you trouble is, Playstation Mobile games try to log on to check if they have the correct runtime package, and if it doesn't, it asks you to update it. You can skip this by putting the Vita in Airplane Mode ( no wifi ) and it'll skip that check.

• Options
    Gaus wrote: »

I actually got my copy of Technika Tune at PAX last year. Video Games New York always has a good supply of imports.

That's absolutely awesome info to hear, I completely forgot those vendors existed. That also means imported versions of Project DIVA might be within grasp... oooh.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    Fingers crossed that this will be released in the US by PAX East 2014:

Final Fantasy X HD.

• Options
    upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    I will definitely be bringing mine as a way to take a break. I am crossing my fingers sony gets remote play via internet working (is 4g in the center? I can hotspot). At NYCC service was the worst. Who decided convention centers should be black holes for all wireless signals lol.

Anyway will also be bringing:
    NFS Most Wanted
    Dynasty Warriors (mindless hack/slash always a time passer)
    Zen Pinball
    Plus a bunch of downloaded stuff

• Options
    Don't count on any cell phone data working well at the BCEC. All of the major carriers end up with too many smart phones in one area during the event so even if you can get a connection, it'll be slow and unreliable.

• Options
    Yeah, as soon as you walk into the BCEC it might as well be the dead center of a black hole for wireless signals. Depending on where you are you -might- be able to get a spot of slow wifi but otherwise it's pretty bad. This year I think I'm just gonna switch off all types of data aside from adhoc/local stuff so I can save battery on everything. Outside of the BCEC it's okay though.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    Yeah, I could hardly receive texts/get phone calls out at the BCEC.

Back on topic of games:

Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (includes all the previously released DLC) is now out on Vita today. Might be something worth picking up for PAX.

• Options
    Gaus wrote: »

That's absolutely awesome info to hear, I completely forgot those vendors existed. That also means imported versions of Project DIVA might be within grasp... oooh.
    Project Diva F is coming to Vita in north america next year as a digital download. F2 on the other hand, we'll probably have to import that one if we want it the same time as Japan.

• Options
    Many fighting games are sale this week in the PSN store, including Dive Kick. I think I will pick it up before the sale ends on Tuesday. I might also get some of the others--All Stars Battle Royale is on deep discount, as well as Streetfighter X Tekken X and Ultimate Marvel vs. Campcom 3. However, I am not that into fighting games, so I will probably stick with Dive Kick--it's a cross-buy and that game just seems fun to have on hand when guests are over.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    for those that have both ... would you recommend a Vita or 3DS ...? Graphically I assume the Vita is superior whereas the 3DS has more games ... anyone with views one way or another? Thinking about picking up a handheld prior to PAX

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    for those that have both ... would you recommend a Vita or 3DS ...? Graphically I assume the Vita is superior whereas the 3DS has more games ... anyone with views one way or another? Thinking about picking up a handheld prior to PAX

This is probably a question worthy of its own thread. It really depends on what you want. More people at Pax with have 3DSes, so there will be more opportunity for social multi-play, as well as street pass. Both have awesome games, but I got a Vita because the games on it tend to skew a little more mature and it is definitely the one with the most indies. I also plan to get a PS4 at some point, so that makes a huge difference (There is a lot of integration with the Vita and the PS4). The 3DS is great and I will probably get one also, maybe even before PAX.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    if you want to know about them, as devices, there's probably lots of info in the Games and Technology section (or you could make a thread in the Help and Advice section) but if you want to know about PAX, you're way way more likely to have 3DS interaction at PAX than Vita.

• Options
    obtained vita. step one COMPLETE.

...now to obtain games. I got PS+ to go with it and have tried some demos too. Ragnarok Odyssey is fun, and do want Technika Tune/DJMAX Portable 3.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    I have both. 3DS is more prevalent. You will see a lot of Mario Kart, Pokemon, Tetris multiplayer going on. Lots of good RPG's on that system. Vita's graphics are way more powerful, but the library is smaller, but the Indie Devs are just starting to drop really good games on Vita. It was a similar scenario on the DS/PSP days. I remember having way more DS games, but PSP would have something like Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony that just couldn't happen on DS. I'm going to bring my Vita, but if I'm looking for multiplayer it'll probably be in the handheld lounge. I'll carry 3DS for line games and Pokemon League, but Vita for playing on the plane and at the airport.

Be on the lookout for new Vita games in the Indie Megabooth this year. That's where I first saw Guacamelee! last year. Great game BTW.

• Options
    I'm a die hard Vita fan ( I don't even own a 3DS ) but I would have to say, all things being equal, bring the 3DS. There's probably a 15 to 1 ( 20 to 1 ? ) ratio of people playing the 3DS to the Vita. They usually run multiple 3DS tournaments too, while they might run 1 or 2 Vita tournies. I would imagine you bring both if you have both though.. I usually have about 4 handhelds on me for PAX.

• Options
    Looks like FFX remaster will be a reality before pax, so definitely playing that on my vita.

• Options
    I bought Dive Kick for Vita over the weekend. Not only is it a cross-buy, but there is a mode where you can play a vs game with one Vita, where each person uses two of the buttons on one side of the Vita. This is perfect at Pax, where I may or may not find someone else with a Vita outside of the handheld lounge.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Got me a Vita as a self-gift for my birthday ... now to game up ... got Walking Dead, Gravity Rush and PS Allstars ... will have to build on this before April.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Sonic and Sega Racing is free on PS plus in December, hopefully they keep that tournament for East.

• Options
    Project Diva F2 will be released on March 6 for Vita and PS3, unknown if it will be in USA yet

• Options
    Project Diva F2 will be released on March 6 for Vita and PS3, unknown if it will be in USA yet

and yet still we lack an NA date for diva F vita. fff. I guess if worse comes to worse I can buy it from one of the vendors that sells imports at PAX.

I've bumped up my game library. So much PS+ games, I also got Spelunky, Tearaway, Persona 4 Golden, and DJMAX Technika Tune. Only one of those is multiplayer, but y'know. Feels good to have games.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    satyr16satyr16 Registered User regular
    Just picked up a PS Vita on the Amazon.com Black Friday deal. The 3G/wifi model with a 4 gb memory card. Included The Walking Dead Complete First Season, Retro City Rampage, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and Uncharted Golden Abyss all for $175. I couldn't pass it up. Used to own a Vita when it came out in NA but it got stolen a few months later by a coworker. I loved the thing. Even took it to PAX East to take pics and record video.

So I'll be packaging the Vita as my Christmas gift for myself (along with the Samurai Edge pistol replica). The games I'm looking at are pretty much all $15-25 on Amazon. How's this for the list:

Persona 4 Golden
    Assassins Creed: Liberation (or wait for the HD version on consoles?)
    Need for Speed:Most Wanted
    Rayman Legends
    LEGO: Marvel
    God of War Collection (which I just found out is a thing)
    Touch My Katamari
    Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (I also have the download code for MGS1)
    LEGO Harry Potter

And I have PS+ and have games like Wipeout and Hotline Miami for the Vita, as well as PS1 classics.
    Man, I really love the Vita.