As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

teh Gubbermint is spying on you!! [Government]

DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear!Registered User regular
edited October 2013 in Social Entropy++
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-infiltrates-links-to-yahoo-google-data-centers-worldwide-snowden-documents-say/2013/10/30/e51d661e-4166-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html?hpid=z1

So the latest news to come out of the Snowden document dump was that Google and Yahoo don't keep your data secure once they get it. Apparently teh Gubbermint just waltzed in a while back using a program called MUSCULAR and took a looksy at everyones data without a warrant or even permission from the service providers.

GOOGLE-CLOUD-EXPLOITATION1383148810.jpg

Um... hm.. that's interesting.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
DisruptedCapitalist on

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    God bless them and God save the Queen.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm more worried about their more advanced follow-up program, SWOLE

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    no, sir, i don't like it.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear.

Except for us planting information that makes it look like you were hiding something allowing us to send you to GITMO for an indeterminate amount of time.

Freedom yaaaay

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Except for us planting information that makes it look like you were hiding something allowing us to send you to GITMO for an indeterminate amount of time.

Freedom yaaaay

Was really unnerving is the fact that the NSA and the FBI don't want to answer inquiries from Congress and they feel it's not necessary to report to the president. Who the hell is in charge then? I can't even fathom why Obama hasn't fired the lot of them yet.

Like the Tsarnayev brothers and Todashev who seem like they were informants for the government. Yet, Todashev was killed under murky pretenses and the FBI still hasn't given any answers to the government about that.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    To keep you safe, citizen.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    also exactly how does the "we need to do this to catch terrorists" angle hold up when they're being caught hacking Angela Merkel's phone? Is the president of Germany a suspected terrorist now?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Freedom yaaaay

Was really unnerving is the fact that the NSA and the FBI don't want to answer inquiries from Congress and they feel it's not necessary to report to the president. Who the hell is in charge then? I can't even fathom why Obama hasn't fired the lot of them yet.

Like the Tsarnayev brothers and Todashev who seem like they were informants for the government. Yet, Todashev was killed under murky pretenses and the FBI still hasn't given any answers to the government about that.

Wait what?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Something I heard on NPR last week, but I guess it's untrue...
    Questions about whether or not the Tsarnaev brothers were FBI informants were also raised this week—something the Joint Terrorism Task force and other top cops adamantly deny. “The Tsarnaev brothers were never sources for the FBI nor did the FBI attempt to recruit them as sources,” they said. “To be absolutely clear: No one was surveilling [sic] the Tsarnaevs and they were not identified until after the shootout. Any claims to the contrary are false.”

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    also exactly how does the "we need to do this to catch terrorists" angle hold up when they're being caught hacking Angela Merkel's phone? Is the president of Germany a suspected terrorist now?

A lot of this is stuff we were doing in the Cold War that we never stopped doing because we hadn't gotten caught. It's just that we used to do it with operatives, and now we do it with software.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I kind of feel like spying on governments/politicians (at least within their professional lives) is more understandable and potentially acceptable than on the average person who wields no particular influence or power over their nation's legislative, military, etc?

• Options
    Butters wrote: »

Freedom yaaaay

Wait what?

Here we are: it was Massachusetts Congressman Bill Keating who says he wanted answers from the FBI and never got them (they refused to attend hearings or reply to letters). So he didn't directly say that they were informants but just that he wanted answers and he wasn't getting any:

http://wgbhnews.org/post/rep-keating-boston-marathon-bombing-i-got-more-info-russia-fbi

Apparently the FBI were investigating the elder brother Tsarnaev in the process of some murder investigation, but then the FBI closed the case. Then it seems Tsarnaev went to Russia during that meantime and that didn't raise any red flags because the case was closed.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    If the Tsarnaev's we're informants they'd be pretty fucking shitty ones. Hell before the attacks in Boston all anyone knew about the younger one was he loved to smoke weed. I don't think the FBI cares if his quad-mate Trevor had the dankest nugs at Dartmouth.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hey remember that time that the Mayor of Toronto was alleged to have been filmed smoking what appeared to be crack with a group of known drug dealers, and one person who had been killed as a result of drug violence? The video that Gawker tried to raise money to buy, but the person selling it disappeared before they could?

There's been a lot of small developments since then, someone found the house where the video was shot and it belonged to friends of the Fords, his brother (now a city councillor) was alleged to have been a hash dealer in his younger days, a friend and occasional driver of the mayor was arrested for selling pot, conspiracy to benefit from the proceeds of a crime, and extortion.

Today though. Today shit got real, and things are headed for some sort of endgame in a hurry. The police have the video.

• Options
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edward snowden got a job working tech support for a russian website

i would say his debt to society is repaid

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    that is pretty funny

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    hey remember that time that the Mayor of Toronto was alleged to have been filmed smoking what appeared to be crack with a group of known drug dealers, and one person who had been killed as a result of drug violence? The video that Gawker tried to raise money to buy, but the person selling it disappeared before they could?

There's been a lot of small developments since then, someone found the house where the video was shot and it belonged to friends of the Fords, his brother (now a city councillor) was alleged to have been a hash dealer in his younger days, a friend and occasional driver of the mayor was arrested for selling pot, conspiracy to benefit from the proceeds of a crime, and extortion.

Today though. Today shit got real, and things are headed for some sort of endgame in a hurry. The police have the video.

The real question is how much did the Mayor use his influence to try and suppress the video.

Like to have the Chief of Police to go after a sitting Mayor means shit has gone super bad.

I really wonder how much information the police have to make this kind of announcement.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    apparently not much since they announced they aren't pressing charges

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    We've just had two, so we're going back to taking a break from Politics threads.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.