As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deadly Premonition: Twin Peaks + Open World + Zombies + Clunkiness - NOW ON XBOX LIVE

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Edit: BREAKING NEWS! Durante has found why it doesn't have controller support! It's because it's using an ancient input method used for JOYSTICKS. from WINDOWS 98!

Durante's response "Fixing that will take 30 minutes"

Thank fucking god. I'm not going to even bother booting it up until all this shit is fixed.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to try this game. But between not being able to find the 360 version, news of the PS3 version being buggy, and now this laughable news of graphics and controller support, these don't seem like the type of people I want to give my money to.

I mean... really? I can barely see the graphic point. You're lazy and don't want to put in a damn resolution option. I at least get that. But how do you not have basic fucking controller support? Did they honestly go "Only the B button works? Eh, good enough."?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    bleh, double post

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Steam Support: We don't give refunds on games, didn't you read the user agreement?
    Me: I wouldn't have purchased the game if I had known it was unplayable on my system despite meeting system requirements listed on the store page. Do you not understand the concept of good faith?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    When the graphics and engine are so bad they literally make me ill, there's a problem.

I made it through, but yeah, there are textures in Deadly Premonition that are so terrible on HD screens that they make the game actually difficult to view.

I mean, I have extremely forgiving standards for graphics if the game is right, and this is one of those games that gets that sort of break, but as bizarre and great as Deadly Premonition is, the rough textures are still really really rough. Especially the grass, which gives me a headache if I look at it too much while driving. Seriously looks like something straight out of the PS2 days.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Y'know, after hearing how bad the gameplay is, finally sitting down to this annnnnnd. It's not that bad. I mean, it's not particularly good, but I've probably built up a tolerance for games with lame mechanics but fun stories or worlds.

Playing with KBAM and controls seem fine for now.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I would cringe at the thought of playing this with KBAM simply because it's a game that's far more suited to lounging while playing, but I would call the controls "inoffensive", really. The terrible combat is pretty much trivialized completely when you one of the stronger infinite-ammo weapons, and the best parts of the game have no need for responsive, good controls.

The controls are, objectively, bad, but they don't actually harm the game, so oh well.

Oh yeah, and for anybody just getting the game, SPRINT INTO DOORS TO OPEN THEM. Aside from just being more amusing, you'll just kick them open immediately, instead of doing that useless, annoying, time-consuming look-both-ways-before entering animation.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Y'know, after hearing how bad the gameplay is, finally sitting down to this annnnnnd. It's not that bad. I mean, it's not particularly good, but I've probably built up a tolerance for games with lame mechanics but fun stories or worlds.

Playing with KBAM and controls seem fine for now.
    The thing about how "Bad" the gameplay is, is that it used to be much HARDER. Hard as in "Goddamn. These things won't FUCKING DIE" The director's cut removes all difficulty options and sets it to something that, I believe, is easier than the easy difficulty on the 360.

It does help with making the gameplay more tolerable. The horrible mouse acceleration does not.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Love Your Eyes Wa HaHa

wat1xa9m.jpg

Yes! Your Doctor Told Us

wat24ffz6.jpg

• Options
    What are you doing taking screenshots of THOSE and not of the directory with the dead house.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Not my screenshots, and I don't know what you're referring to.

• Options
    It's another sign in the hospital. The room directory to be precise.

It does great things such as label the morgue as "Dead house"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I guess not upgrading from the original 360 version worked out so far. I may eventually double-dip for the PC version, but not until someone hammers out some of the more obvious options. Also, it only makes sense to default the game to Easy. Even on Easy, the combat is a massive amount of padded filler.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Steam Support: We don't give refunds on games, didn't you read the user agreement?
    Me: I wouldn't have purchased the game if I had known it was unplayable on my system despite meeting system requirements listed on the store page. Do you not understand the concept of good faith?

STEAM is eventually going to get hit with a class action over this.

• Options
    Durante posted 0.3 which fixes the minimap issue. He also says the devs have contacted him and he may be working on something more "official."

• Options

I'm sure they've already updated their Terms of Service to include the non-arbitration clauses that everyone else has.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Chapter 2's great so far. This feels like Shenmue and Silent Hill rolled into one.

Also, Diane's a snappy dresser. Only real glitch I've encountered so far is that some items upon pickup rotate s l o w l y.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Going to guess this is a no but is there some setting to not get the "observe this item you've already found 30 of" screen?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Gyral wrote: »
    I guess not upgrading from the original 360 version worked out so far. I may eventually double-dip for the PC version, but not until someone hammers out some of the more obvious options. Also, it only makes sense to default the game to Easy. Even on Easy, the combat is a massive amount of padded filler.

It probably bears repeating that the combat was a last minute addition at the insistence of the original publisher. Enemy encounters were originally meant to use
    the 'hold your breath and they can't see you' mechanic that gets introduced at the start of the game then almost totally forgotten about.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

I'm sure they've already updated their Terms of Service to include the non-arbitration clauses that everyone else has.

I thought somebody ruled that those things are basically unenforceable? The "we put it in our rules that you can't sue us no matter what we do" clause.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

They did, but it doesn't matter, as the law overrides a terms of service agreement. You cant just hit a button to agree to give up your rights to a lawsuit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Also, Diane's a snappy dresser.

There's another character who's an even snappier dresser. Lol

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    New version of DPfix out.
    Changelog:
    ■Fixed additional map locations/sizes for main menu map and large overlay map
    ■Fixed positioning and size in scenes with 2 viewpoints being shown (also fixed size of their storage buffers)
    ■Fixed enemy shadow trails on the world map at night
    ■Added anti-aliasing support (FXAA and SMAA1x supported, see DPfix.ini to enable)
    ■Added texture dumping and overriding functionality (works as it did in DSfix)

Also, Durante's suggested fix for crashing issues is... Brace yourself... reboot and set the game executable to Windows 98 compatibility mode.

x1qxbt4.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This was my favorite XBox360 game.

Knowing the story, knowing it's impact on me, knowing how remarkably well each character was written...

Seeing Emily dressed as a cat just kills me. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Japan, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    When the graphics and engine are so bad they literally make me ill, there's a problem.

I made it through, but yeah, there are textures in Deadly Premonition that are so terrible on HD screens that they make the game actually difficult to view.

I mean, I have extremely forgiving standards for graphics if the game is right, and this is one of those games that gets that sort of break, but as bizarre and great as Deadly Premonition is, the rough textures are still really really rough. Especially the grass, which gives me a headache if I look at it too much while driving. Seriously looks like something straight out of the PS2 days.
    It's funny you say this, because apparently the game was meant to be a PS2 title at first.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    mxmarks wrote: »

Knowing the story, knowing it's impact on me, knowing how remarkably well each character was written...

Seeing Emily dressed as a cat just kills me. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Japan, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    Not only that, but imagine her, in the catsuit, riding in a car that I have nicknamed The animemobile.

Yes, that is comic sans.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Here's that other hospital sign, by the way:

MBZruAz.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh man. I forgot all about Hickey storage.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

It's funny you say this, because apparently the game was meant to be a PS2 title at first.

That does not surprise me at all.

To be honest, this is one of those rare games where the writing is everything, but everything else is so bad that it severely hampers enjoyment of the game. Vehicle degradation, low vehicle speed, incredibly clumsy physics, the weird combination of open-world town with very narrow-pathed wooded areas, the rough edges, the crappy combat, and the awful, awful textures make it genuinely tough to enjoy the game.

I know it would never happen, but if they got to do a Deadly Premonition Redux where they lifted the story right out of the original and put it in a proper modern game environment with improvement to make all that other stuff at least slightly enjoyable, I would buy that so, so, so hard. Not even anything crazy, either; if the game was only brought as far along as, say, Alan Wake in the visuals department, geez, that would be such a huge improvement.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

I dunno, I mean, she's supposed to be Naomi Watts, right?

I've seen parts of Mulholland Drive.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88574807&postcount=961

New version of DPFix + controller profiles & graphics to replace all the prompts in-game w/ xbox buttons:
    screenshot_2013-11-04ixozk.jpg

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The button prompts weren't already Xbox icons if you had an Xbox controller plugged in? Dare I ask what they were before?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The answer is there was no controller support at all because Rising star games used drivers from windows 98, used for one button joysticks.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ................................................Oh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Somehow, it is perversely fitting that the PC version of the game has such bizarre and archaic issues.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

Grecotch.

• Options
    Yeah, with the latest DPFix and like, Pinnacle controller mappings the game is almost playable. I got as far as getting the police car last night until I got in and it was making horrible break screeching noises the entire time. I don't even fucking know... I hear the solution to this is to apparently downgrade your sound to 2.1 stereo, which has to be the most retarded solution ever.

Also those controller profiles are a little messed up. For the whole 2 seconds of the game that uses it, he had "Hold your breath" mapped wrong. I had to quit out of the game (because I didn't know what the keyboard mapping was and ALT-TAB breaks the game), then edit the profile (it was mapped to CTRL, he had it mapped to right mouse click *shrug*). And the car controls seem wonky - there is no mapping for, say, the siren. Which seems wrong. Also the blinkers, which, ok, they are not necessary but still! You should be able to map it like the 360 version, no?

Maybe I will just wait for them to patch in official controller support. I'm not super happy with the button graphics he used either, but I can't find decent alternatives to replace them with. A lot of them are REALLY hard to read when shrunk down though (anything with arrows, plus the bumpers and triggers look weird).

• Options
    Somehow, it is perversely fitting that the PC version of the game has such bizarre and archaic issues.

Yeah, it's like, I know I should be angry, but Deadly Premonition, I can't stay mad at you!

sp4uAhm.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    New DPFix.
    Changes:
    ■Fixed an issue that could happen when reloading and encountering a dual-perspective scene twice (0.7.1)
    ■Fixed crash when accessing the Add-ons menu (might also fix other crashes)
    ■Added the ability to improve shadow rendering: shadow map resolution and precision settings
    ■Added reflection resolution setting (affects e.g. mirrors)

tPHw1Ju.jpg

UaEFVJq.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    On the "do the publishers give a shit" side, I emailed the publisher via Steam Support... seven days ago. Haven't heard anything back yet. How long before I am allowed to tell Steam Support that I am not being Supported?