As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't shop at Payless, you might get the cops called on you.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    okay so I only just read and caught up with this thread

but from what I've read about the OP's story thus far surely, given that he has a self-reported anxiety problem, it is a better idea to drop it like it's hot and reconcile it as something beyond your scope of control, rather than ruminating on it and causing further anxiety

I mean I know dropping it isn't easy, but surely fixating on it is going to be worse in the long run from an anxiety standpoint

in fact, one could argue that fixating on it is what is causing the anxiety or is even symptomatic of anxiety

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    but from what I've read about the OP's story thus far surely, given that he has a self-reported anxiety problem, it is a better idea to drop it like it's hot and reconcile it as something beyond your scope of control, rather than ruminating on it and causing further anxiety

Yeah, he's never going to cobble together a story that pleases him or tie up any loose ends. Only going to leave him in knots, and it won't be his sole regret so no sense digging in his heels over the incident. Better he just wags his tongue here about the insolent employees.

• Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    This reminds me of that story a few days back about a kid getting arrested for buying a $350 belt. I believe the police found him guilty of shopping while black.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    has the OP considered flying me in to mediate

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone tipping cashiers ever

A couple of pages late, but I once got drunk during a bachelor party and tipped the cashier of this fast food burger joint $11 for my $9 meal.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    it happens, Kap.

also holy shit it is raining pretty hard i love this shit

i don't wanna go to bed

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Belruel wrote: »
    The money should arrive tucked into a pair of semi-stylish, but shoddily made sensible ladies' flats.

Delivered in a box with

Holy shit, where have you been?

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    @Metalbourne hiding from all known mortals. (mostly playing pathfinder and mindlessly scrolling through tumblr)

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Bel!!!!!

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the Tumblr pit. You were lucky to get out alive.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Sup dude!

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the Tumblr pit. You were lucky to get out alive.
    The scrolling... it goes on forever.... oh look a kitty cat with a crocheted hat!

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    This reminds me of that story a few days back about a kid getting arrested for buying a $350 belt. I believe the police found him guilty of shopping while black.

Yeah, that's what I thought this thread was about at first. http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/us/new-york-profiling-claims/index.html

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I only tip in situations that are inappropriate. I tipped an ER doctor who took care of me, a police officer who I thought was doing a great job patrolling, and my bank teller who's always pleasant.

Also I always wink when I tip.

Er... I hope you were joking. Tipping a cop is generally considered bribery (same thing with tipping postal workers.)

I read advice for giving Christmas gifts to postal workers, one should give them cookies or something since cash gifts are illegal.

EDIT: Duhh, of course you were joking.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    My parents used to leave our post man a bottle of liquor the day before Christmas

Sheri on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

We were talking about that several pages back but while it's a shitty story the guy will for sure be getting a hefty settlement so at least nowadays it's almost impossible to get away with blatant (and completely baseless in that case) profiling.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    grizzlyaddamsgrizzlyaddams Registered User regular

I mean I know dropping it isn't easy, but surely fixating on it is going to be worse in the long run from an anxiety standpoint

in fact, one could argue that fixating on it is what is causing the anxiety or is even symptomatic of anxiety

I'm about 80 to 85% over it now.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Payless is having an 80-85% off sale. Might want to check it out.

• Options

I'm about 80 to 85% over it now.

IM ALLERGIC TO BEES I HAVE TO GET TO THAT BEE HIVE!

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Payless is having an 80-85% off sale. Might want to check it out.

Remember that you should always do the sniff test on children's shoes before buying them. To see how odor resistant the shoes are.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

We were talking about that several pages back but while it's a shitty story the guy will for sure be getting a hefty settlement so at least nowadays it's almost impossible to get away with blatant (and completely baseless in that case) profiling.

Nah it kinda happens all the time

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone tipping cashiers ever

It is a rare and glorious event, but it happens.

If I ever get proper wealthy, I'd really like to just start tipping everyone

Anyone whose job demands them doing something for me, they get a tip

I'd have to develop my own percentage rules or whatever, but man, I've worked a lot of shitty jobs (most of them faceless, so I wouldn't even be effected by this, but), and I think people deserve a tip sometimes

When someone gave me a tip for helping them find their seat in the movie theater, literally the only tip I have ever gotten in my life, I was ecstatic

• Options
    edited November 2013
    So I got an email on Wednesday from the customer service director that I would be receiving a letter in the mail (I did not ask for a gift card, although she did mention it on the phone last week)

This arrived today.

It's unfortunate because while she seemed sincere on the phone, she went to great lengths in this letter to appear in stark contrast to that. The insinuation that the experienced "as I explained it" is anything other than factual, as is the insistence on further requesting in writing that I don't visit their store, is insulting. Frankly, so is the dollar amount of the gift card, which would not even pay for one pair of shoes. I will likely donate it to charity.

I asked my wife if I should respond to her email and let her know my feelings, or if I should just let it go. At first she said just to let it go, but after reading the letter she is not so sure...

grizzlyaddams on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    30 bucks?

sue them

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    No one at Payless is going to take your side

The language in that letter is clearly designed to be as neutral as possible because while they want to be courteous to you they are not going to throw themselves under the bus

You are reading a malice into those words that does not exist

You got thirty dollars towards a new pair of shoes for doing literally nothing, use it and let it go

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Thirty bucks and a "hey, how about you and that store just not hang out?"

Doesn't exactly sound like a slap in the face to me...

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Bring it to the same store.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ah, I think that letter is fine. I'd just not go to that store anymore anyhow.
    This director probably is just trying to make everyone happy. You get a gift card and an honest talk. The nerds who kicked you out, get a suggestion put in, of ya not coming back to that location.
    If it was me, at this point, I'd probably just wear the story as a badge of honor or whatever.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    re: tipping, I always pay with a debit card and I always make my tip an amount that brings the bill to a round dollar figure because I am weird like that

like if I get a meal that is 12.75, I'll tip 2.25 so it's an even 15.00

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Bring it to the same store.
    do not do this

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    while you're telling darlene about how horribly you were mistreated at one of her stores, she's hearing from her employees about how you're a shoplifter that's throwing a tantrum over getting caught and you're just trying to make trouble in retaliation

darlene can't assume that either one of you is telling the truth because she wasn't there

so even though you know that you're right, she lacks the perspective necessary to take your word for it, and the best she can do is offer a small gesture of apology

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    "How many of you cats have been banned from PAYLESS?"
    "Let me tell you 'bout October 24"

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So I got an email on Wednesday from the customer service director that I would be receiving a letter in the mail (I did not ask for a gift card, although she did mention it on the phone last week)

This arrived today.

It's unfortunate because while she seemed sincere on the phone, she went to great lengths in this letter to appear in stark contrast to that. The insinuation that the experienced "as I explained it" is anything other than factual, as is the insistence on further requesting in writing that I don't visit their store, is insulting. Frankly, so is the dollar amount of the gift card, which would not even pay for one pair of shoes. I will likely donate it to charity.

I asked my wife if I should respond to her email and let her know my feelings, or if I should just let it go. At first she said just to let it go, but after reading the letter she is not so sure...

AAHHH BEES! IM ALLERGIC AND IVE BEEN STUNG BY A BEE

HEY THERES A HIVE LETS STOP HERE FOR A MINUTE

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    I won't get a pair of shoes for that much money and I'm not giving them any of mine. I think I'm just going to donate the gift card, and burn the letter so I can't re-read it a thousand times.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    that is your Payless, it was made for you

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Think of it this way, now you have an interesting story to tell people. I'm banned from Payless is a sure conversation starter.

I was innocently sniffing children's shoes while sensually rubbing myself when...

And be sure to include writing directly to the CEO.

• Options
    I won't get a pair of shoes for that much money and I'm not giving them any of mine. I think I'm just going to donate the gift card, and burn the letter so I can't re-read it a thousand times.

Sounds like Shoes at Payless are too expensive anyhow.
    You can get good shoes for about that much in most department stores- if you wait for a sale.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

This arrived today.

I've had some fun here but in seriousness, that letter, and more so the GC, is kind of an insult. It's just like "here's some money, go away." But whatever, let it go. Use the card or give it away.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    It's not an insult. Stop calling it that. The people making the decision have no way of verifying whose story is true, so they have to make a gesture that the dude has been heard but not outright say YUP YOU'RE RIGHT WE ARE WRONG GONNA FIRE THEM KIDS.

If you are interpreting it as an insult or a slap in the face I strongly encourage you to take some time and reflect on that.

Vivixenne on
  • Options

Good. Do this.