As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 badges and hotels

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    msuroo wrote: »
    I feel like in the rush it probably went something like this "Raise the price 5 dollars on all badges this year"...

That's pretty clearly what happened - it's not like PA is running a full time FP&A department over there. Anyway, saying they fail at "basic econ" is sort of nonsensical in the first place, because they are clearly not pricing the badges for profit maximization in the first place.

Touche. I suppose I meant intermediate Econ. With event tickets, it's often not feasible to price for equilibrium, but you certainly don't want to create additional incentives to waste tickets by making three cheaper than two. Rational actors respond to incentives. ;)

Since it was fixed for Prime, I'll assume that it was a mistake, not intentional. That does make more sense.

• pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular
    cax20 wrote: »

I don't know why people hate talks about improvements. Wouldn't the idea about announcing a week time-frame after PAX prime help everyone? How much time did you waste checking every day several times a day because you needed to be sure?

Not sure how that would help. They could announce it ten years in advance, and people would still be camping the queue weeks in advance, and servers would still crash and scalpers would be still be prevalent. If anything, they would invest in server management/better ticket service, although that's a business decision on PA's end.

And if you're not willing to check for ticket availability, that's fine. Kotaku and Polygon both announced the ticket sale date prior to them going on sale, and obviously Twitter and the PA forums blew up with excited announcements and hashtags.

Perhaps PA could send out an email as well to those who subscribe to a mailing list, letting them know that tickets will be on sale in X amount of days/hours.

Barring that, if you want to ignore what is essentially all of social and news media, then good luck.

What's it to you if they would update my bill of my 15 one day passes to the cost of 5 three day passes? Are you worried the convention wouldnt have as much money/be as good without mine and my friend's ~250 dollars?

No one's arguing with you. If they update you from 15 one day badges to 5 three day badges, it's no skin off our backs. You have all the right in the world to attempt to purchase any badge from PA. However, if you missed out on a multi-day badge, whether it be from negligence or an error on PA's ticket service, it doesn't just grant you the right to a multi-day badge. It's unfortunate, but it's also fair to everyone trying to purchase a multi-day badge.

Why shouldn't 3 day passes cost more than 2 one day passes? Doesn't this seem like a big potential for waste? Or do you not care because you have your passes and wasted tickets is less people you have to contend with?

Once again, I don't think anyone really argues with you on this one. They could make 3-day passes to be more expensive than 2 single day badges, but cheaper than 3 day badges (something like $90). However, anyone who managed to buy a 3-day pass is certainly not complaining about saving money, and they obviously all sold out, so how can you call it a waste? Even if you bumped up the prices of 3-day badges, it's not going to drastically change the number of people who want 3-day badges. They'll still get sold out just as fast, or nearly as fast, and you'd still be without one.

You missed out, obviously you're not happy with it, but why should the people who managed to get a 3-day badge have to pay extra next year because you didn't get one?
    Why shouldn't they have a logical interface for relying on most up to date news? This could be something that stops you from going in the future.

You mean Twitter? Or the forums? Neither of which requires a username or login in order to access and search for up-to date news? Both of which don't lag? If you're unwilling to use either, I don't know what to say.

Updating a crashed/lagged out website to relay news is NOT the solution. By the time you find out, tickets will be even more limited, or possibly sold out.

If PA could also update an event page on Facebook, they could possibly reach even more people.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Two things:

Nobody, to this day, has posted any evidence that scalping of PAX badges is particularly prevalent. Or at least that it involves a non-marginal number of badges. A few hundred compared to tens of thousands isn't huge.

Second, the restricted number of discounted three day badges is a feature, not a bug. See my post last page. I do wish I could exchange single day badges for a weekend badge, but not for the discount. I'd actually pay a premium for the opportunity. I just line having a single badge as a keepsake, rather than multiple. But asking for the discount is missing the point entirely.

If it helps, think of three day badges as "limited edition." ;)

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Just rebooked my hotel since the Boston Marriott Long Wharf had an opening, Now I'm a happy panda

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    I think the crux of this boils down to a battle of will. There have been 3 PAXes now where registration has had problems and getting passes has been difficult. I will not miss any of them. If you really want to go be diligent and find a way to go. For Prime 2012 I checked the site frequently, and this one was the easiest but still I had to be diligent. For Prime 2013 I was one of the "unlucky" ones as I didn't catch the ticket sale announcement in time. So therefore I looked for an alternative approach and got legitimate badges from a 3rd party. For East 2013 I made sure to check the site every day and check twitter. If I had not known about twitter then I probably would have been out of a 3 day, but I would not have cared. I would immediately had been in queue to grab 3 1 days. If I missed Saturday then I would grab Fri/Sun and try to get Sat on a 3rd party.

• cax20cax20 Registered User regular

I don't know why people hate talks about improvements. Wouldn't the idea about announcing a week time-frame after PAX prime help everyone? How much time did you waste checking every day several times a day because you needed to be sure?

Not sure how that would help. They could announce it ten years in advance, and people would still be camping the queue weeks in advance, and servers would still crash and scalpers would be still be prevalent. If anything, they would invest in server management/better ticket service, although that's a business decision on PA's end.

And if you're not willing to check for ticket availability, that's fine. Kotaku and Polygon both announced the ticket sale date prior to them going on sale, and obviously Twitter and the PA forums blew up with excited announcements and hashtags.

Perhaps PA could send out an email as well to those who subscribe to a mailing list, letting them know that tickets will be on sale in X amount of days/hours.

Barring that, if you want to ignore what is essentially all of social and news media, then good luck.

The people who really want to go will tend to check the website every day, several times a day.

To not announce it until the day before, much time is wasted until that announcement is made. The earlier the announcement, the less checking. Understand?

Why shouldn't 3 day passes cost more than 2 one day passes? Doesn't this seem like a big potential for waste? Or do you not care because you have your passes and wasted tickets is less people you have to contend with?

Once again, I don't think anyone really argues with you on this one. They could make 3-day passes to be more expensive than 2 single day badges, but cheaper than 3 day badges (something like $90). However, anyone who managed to buy a 3-day pass is certainly not complaining about saving money, and they obviously all sold out, so how can you call it a waste? Even if you bumped up the prices of 3-day badges, it's not going to drastically change the number of people who want 3-day badges. They'll still get sold out just as fast, or nearly as fast, and you'd still be without one.

You missed out, obviously you're not happy with it, but why should the people who managed to get a 3-day badge have to pay extra next year because you didn't get one?
    I apologize if I am boring you. When I talk of waste, I am speaking of a person who is going for two of the days and not the third. They save five dollars. At the expense of a person not being able to purchase a three day pass. That to me is a waste.

It does not make sense to make 3 day badges cost less than two one days. Someone earlier called it wiggity-wack. That's why people should pay extra next year for a 3 day. Especially if the prices continue to go up on the one day passes.
    [
    Why shouldn't they have a logical interface for relying on most up to date news? This could be something that stops you from going in the future.

You mean Twitter? Or the forums? Neither of which requires a username or login in order to access and search for up-to date news? Both of which don't lag? If you're unwilling to use either, I don't know what to say.

Updating a crashed/lagged out website to relay news is NOT the solution. By the time you find out, tickets will be even more limited, or possibly sold out.

If PA could also update an event page on Facebook, they could possibly reach even more people.

If their website is not the place to get the information. The website should say so. It is amazing that people argue that the official pax east website is not the place to get accurate pax east information. 'Soon' was NOT accurate.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Nobody, to this day, has posted any evidence that scalping of PAX badges is particularly prevalent. Or at least that it involves a non-marginal number of badges. A few hundred compared to tens of thousands isn't huge.

Can't say I've seen any exact numbers. There's evidence of it happening, but like iPhone cables killing people, it's of course questionable how much. You see posts all over the place (ebay, craigslist, etc.) of people selling tickets with a min price of 2-4x the price of a 2-day ticket. When going to the con, I always see at least a few scalpers out front trying to sell tickets with large stacks of tickets in-hand. So the problem is there.

I look at it like the war on drugs. Would everyone be happy if there were no deaths due to illegal drugs, trafficking, street crimes related to drugs, etc.? Sure. Is there a way to completely stop that short of making them all legal? As long as people want to get high, stopping completely would end up causing more damage than it's worth (GREATLY reduced freedoms, GREATLY increased penalties, etc.).

So in this case, are you ever going to REALLY stop scalpers? Well, if you tied every ticket to a person's ID, you could stop it.....but then you need people all over the place checking IDs vs badges, which is not reasonable given the amount of people involved. So the only solution to actually stop scalpers? Make it "legal" by becoming scalpers yourself (aka: auction off all the tickets over a long period of time). Don't like that answer? Sorry, that's the only way you're cutting out scalpers, because then all tickets are sold at the price the market demands, and there's no longer a real profit margin for scalpers to make off of tickets.

• RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    I agree that Penny Arcade and their contractors have much to learn from some issues that were within their control. If those issues were not obvious enough at the start, I think that this thread has made them clear, and I believe the improvements will be made for next time.

I hope that as a community we are also learning from it, and the big lesson is this: PAX Prime-caliber demand has come to PAX East. Even if the blunders from last Wednesday are never repeated, the expectations of getting 3-day passes and a preferred hotel are probably not healthy for us to hang onto.

Next time, I'll define success as getting three singles and a bed in the city, and I'll even be prepared to accept getting only two days. If I end up with something better, I'll think of it as a bonus.

• mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    I do wish I could exchange single day badges for a weekend badge, but not for the discount. I'd actually pay a premium for the opportunity. I just line having a single badge as a keepsake, rather than multiple.

Yes please! If I could come up with my 3 1-day passes to an Enforcer and exchange them for a single badge (even if that badge said something like '3-Day Pass of Sorry You Were Late for the Queue'), I'd totally do it, just for convenience... I'd rather not pay extra though :P

In a sense, this would be much nicer:

Have Special Edition 3-Day Passes (cheap, small amount), Regular Edition 3-Day Passes (cost the same as 3x1-day passes, bigger amount) and then 1-day passes in whatever pricing scheme and amount they want.

If making a 3-day pass is more expensive than making a 1-day pass, then they could have just the special editions look all shiny and run the regular 3-day edition the same as a 1-day one. I'm not 100% sure but I think the numbers would come out to it being a money saver for them.

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Raughn wrote: »
    Next time, I'll define success as getting three singles and a bed in the city, and I'll even be prepared to accept getting only two days. If I end up with something better, I'll think of it as a bonus.

More power to you, but if the new standard is that I should probably be happy just to have a place to sleep at all and at least one or two days to go, its probably time for me to move on. Not that that is a criticism btw, I just don't think the aggravation is worth it for me at that point, but I'm totally aware that someone else would gladly take my place.

havok978 on
    XyqJPIp.png
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    I like the idea of 3 day passes full price after the discount badges are sold out. More convenient, regardless of what it says on the pass.

• GausGaus Registered User regular
    They keep the number of 3-Day passes low, so more people have to buy 3 1-Day passes. It's the artificial way of raising the price. If the actually raised the price, just as many people would be complaining the other way.

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Gaus wrote: »
    They keep the number of 3-Day passes low, so more people have to buy 3 1-Day passes. It's the artificial way of raising the price. If the actually raised the price, just as many people would be complaining the other way.

There may be some amount of truth behind that statement, but it's also important to keep in mind that at least part of the goal in the raise in price attained by doing so is that some number of people will decide that one or two days is enough for them which, in turn, allows another one or two people attend for at least a day. I have seen posts on the forums and have some friends who prove that this certainly happens. Of course there are a number of people to whom the price increase makes no difference and they'll buy the three single days (I'd be in that camp). Whether it's because they're in a financial position to just do so or they love PAX so much they'll make sacrifices to make it happen, they'll do what it takes. The rest of the crowd says "You know, I'm not into PAX enough to spend $120 for the weekend, I'll just go one or two days instead" and THAT means more people get to go and enjoy PAX.
    Offering 3-days @ full-price or giving people an option at checkout to convert 1xFri, 1xSat, and 1xSun pass into 1x3-day so they don't have to juggle badges all weekend seems like a perfectly reasonable option and would likely save some printing costs. I can see such a system moving into place at some point, especially if a decision is made to nix any 3-day discounts somewhere down the line.
    To those that didn't get a 3-day or to whom making the trip to Boston doesn't seem worth it with only 2 days of PAX to get passes for... I know it sucks and I truly hope you don't give up on PAX as a whole because of the experience. The passionate community is what leads to the immense aggravation and hostility, but it's the same passion that makes it so awesome.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    Undercharging for three day badges is an issue though. That has to change; if any discount is offered, they absolutely should cost more than two one day passes. That's basic Econ.

I don't think they need to be MORE than, but I think they should be "at least equivalent to".

Because if a 3 day is equivalent to 2 single days (this year, for example, $80 vs $80)...there's no real impetus to buy the 3 day instead of the 2 day..unless you can attend the 3rd day. There's no hinderance to doing so, either..but the built in hinderance is "I don't need it, can't use it, so why buy it".

Last year I think they hit it dead on: $35 for single days, $70 for the whole con.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So after I got my passes, my girlfriend asked "When is it?" "April 11th - 14th" "Remember anything special about those days?" "Fuck, it's your birthday."

I'm still going. Not selling my passes.

But man am I in the dog house.

edited October 2013
    My brothers birthday fell on those days. He said, "so your not coming to my birthday?" I said "nope wanna go to pax?" He said no. So I just respond" ok, see you after your birthday."

I'm sorry but pax comes first.

cardkid123 on
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    So after I got my passes, my girlfriend asked "When is it?" "April 11th - 14th" "Remember anything special about those days?" "Fuck, it's your birthday."

This trip was initially supposed to be a bucket list thing with all the parties etc. However, my daughter's birthday falls on the 14th (also discovered during planning), my solution ... I am bringing her with me as a birthday present limits me a bit as she is not old enough to attend the adult events but we will still have a blast.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    Originally I bought 3 passes, one for me, one for a friend, and one for her. But she's not big into this scene, and was just going to go cause I was paying. But now she explicitly does not want to do PAX for her birthday.

But hey, found a 2nd friend who wanted the pass!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

I went to my first PAX Prime over my wife's birthday, without her. I didn't forget though, it was planned out that way ahead of time.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    My brothers birthday fell on those days. He said, "so your not coming to my birthday?" I said "nope wanna go to pax?" He said no. So I just respond" ok, see you after your birthday."

Well yeah, your brother's birthday happens every year, but PAX East only happens...shit, nevermind.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    whypick1 wrote: »

Well yeah, your brother's birthday happens every year, but PAX East only happens...shit, nevermind.

My thinking is that the day is coming, and soon I imagine, when it will become impossible for me to reliably obtain tickets to PAX. Plus kids are probably happening some day. I want to enjoy PAX while I have the means to.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Yeah but east moves around.

edited October 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »

Yeah but east moves around.

In all fairness, I wasn't thinking about his birthday being during those days until after I bought the tix.

But... I probably would have bought them anyways.

cardkid123 on
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular

My thinking is that the day is coming, and soon I imagine, when it will become impossible for me to reliably obtain tickets to PAX. Plus kids are probably happening some day. I want to enjoy PAX while I have the means to.

Kids do not stop you from going to PAX. They make it more of an adventure. Plus you can clean up on free stuff on Sunday if you have a kid with you.

• LevelUpLadyLevelUpLady Registered User regular
    This will be my first pax. It's the first year it fell on my birthday (big 30!) and realized it was a sign :) got tickets and the hotel I wanted so I'm pretty excited. Now I just need to work on my cosplay and meeting some new friends!

• GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    This will be my first pax. It's the first year it fell on my birthday (big 30!) and realized it was a sign :) got tickets and the hotel I wanted so I'm pretty excited. Now I just need to work on my cosplay and meeting some new friends!

Hope you have a great experience at PAX then!

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    pureval wrote: »

Kids do not stop you from going to PAX. They make it more of an adventure. Plus you can clean up on free stuff on Sunday if you have a kid with you.

Now you have me curious (why is Sunday a good day for that for kids?) ... I am bringing my daughter to Pax for her birthday (could not justify not taking her as I would have been away for her special day and her Mom and sis are going to NYC two weekends later).

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Booths are generally looking to give away whatever promotional items they have left on Sunday (so that they don't have to ship them back), and I'm assuming that pureval was suggesting that they're more likely to give them to kids.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    pureval wrote: »

Now you have me curious (why is Sunday a good day for that for kids?) ... I am bringing my daughter to Pax for her birthday (could not justify not taking her as I would have been away for her special day and her Mom and sis are going to NYC two weekends later).

Yes, @koalaBro2 is correct. Plus Sunday tends to be more of a low key day anyway. We have taken my son for the last 2 years and he loves it, looks forward to it all year long.

• melzwaymelzway Registered User regular

My Mother's 85th birthday is the 14th........

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular

If she can't get over you missing her birthday one year find a new girlfriend. My boyfriend completely forgot about my birthday the second year we were together and I still ended up marrying him!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • mochibunnymochibunny Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind if my boyfriend went to PAX on my birthday, I'd actually encourage it!! PAX IS A BIGGER DEAL YEEE. no sarcasm here, i'm completely serious o_o

• The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    My wife's birthday is also during PAX this year. As soon as we realized it, we both said it looks like we have the birthday plans figured out. Nothing like spending your birthday having fun and playing games :-)

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • EradiKateEradiKate Registered User regular
    A few years ago, my birthday fell on the Saturday of GenCon. I was pretty excited to spend my whole day gaming, but the best part came after dinner in the Rio Grande Games demo room. As we were setting up a game of Dominion, I mentioned that the only thing that could make my day better was ice cream.

Less than five minutes later, some guys walked in wheeling carts full of ice cream and toppings and handed out free sundaes to everyone in the room.

Nothing quite that awesome has happened to me at PAX, but I've got a good feeling about this year.

PAX East Attendee. Professional Tabletop Gamer. Donut Enthusiast.
    And Friday badges are now sold out. Only Sunday available.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    And Friday badges are now sold out. Only Sunday available.

Interestingly enough, the showclix site says Fridays are still readily available (5+, at least).

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Temig wrote: »
    Offering 3-days @ full-price or giving people an option at checkout to convert 1xFri, 1xSat, and 1xSun pass into 1x3-day so they don't have to juggle badges all weekend seems like a perfectly reasonable option and would likely save some printing costs. I can see such a system moving into place at some point, especially if a decision is made to nix any 3-day discounts somewhere down the line.

A part of the job of Info Booth is to tell people that lost their badge somewhere (often they say it fell off their lanyard in Expo Hall) that it can not be replaced (usually). When someone loses a multi-day badge on Friday, they can't come back for the whole con. If they have single day badges, losing a Friday badge on Friday means they can still come on Saturday and Sunday with those badges (assuming they left those badges somewhere safe like in the safe in their hotel room and not on their lanyard where they can get dropped/lost before they are usable). I hope it's never possible to convert single day badges into one multi-day badge for this reason.

Regarding overall fairness of pricing, my opinion is that multi-day badges and discounts should be removed entirely; just single day badges should be sold.

What the future holds is unknown to all of us.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    eh I don't mind wearing 3 single day badges on my lanyard, I did it last year it was fine. I'm wondering if I should have a separate lanyard for my BYOC pass though.

I wouldn't mind if it was single day passes exclusively, however I think it saves some resources to allow one badge for the whole weekend instead of 3.

I guess its smarter to wear only the single day badge each day, in case my lanyard fails or I make a mistake.

FireWater on
  • caerulean_bluecaerulean_blue Registered User regular
    Hopefully this is the right thread to ask this. I've been going to East since 2010 at the Hynes convention center and lurking on the board since then and finally decided to join the forums this year.

In a past year I saw a discussion where someone talked about a cool lanyard that maybe was chainmail or something similar. Anyone heard of these or maybe recommend something cool like that? I'm open to suggestions and would like to find something different than the normal lanyard that you get for free in the queue room. I searched on the forums and couldn't find the thread. I found some interesting options searching with Google, but was hoping for some suggestions that people might already own and could recommend.

This discussion has been closed.