As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NatCoWriMo: You Know You Want To!

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Got anything to post before November people? If you're looking for crits or need help ironing out any details, your best bet is to post this weekend if you want some good feedback in time for NatCoWriMo to start.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I did not make a pledge then forget it! I started really working this week. My plan is to sketch the page layouts first, then do ink and color digitally. I'm doing little thumbnails to figure out the layout, then doing the page, with lots of character sketching and looking up ref in between. So far it's been what I expected, frustrating and rewarding! Haha.

I am using scrap paper because the environment yo, so your ability to see my progress suffers. I threw some fast colors on the first page to make it easier to see the idea, it wasn't really visible in the plain scan.
    tumblr_mvainh7AEI1s9cildo3_1280.jpg

page 2 (colored the top quick to help it make sense, original sketch panel 2 and 3 are swapped)
    tumblr_mvainh7AEI1s9cildo5_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mvainh7AEI1s9cildo4_1280.jpg

And some sketching
    tumblr_mvainh7AEI1s9cildo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mvainh7AEI1s9cildo2_1280.jpg

Though my major goal for this is to just do it even if I'm not happy with every drawing, any feedback is more than welcome!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Ok I want to do this.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before. But I mean it this time! I think.

Starting from scratch tonight.

• Options
    Mister KentMister Kent PixburghRegistered User regular
    I'll have lines to post Monday or Tuesday! :D

• Options
    I laid out the important parts of the 30 pages. Just need to refine and flesh some things out.

image_zps7a586f69.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2013
    PHEW

Did two pretty big pages of reference doodles, since I need to learn how to draw cockroaches and centipedes for this story. I HATE CENTIPEDES...ACK I hope that I don't have nightmares.

(edit) Oh, and I'm gonna need to post some stuff for feedback soon.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    image_zpsb2bbb926.jpg

Character designs and reference doodles. Still trying to figure out what I like or dislike.

• Options
    @earthwormadam I love Dongle, especially his "face." I wonder though if there's something you can do to give him just a little more emotion, even though his eyes seem like they're supposed to be kind of blank and static. I think the centipede's antennae could be a little thinner, they kind of look like horns right now(although maybe that's the point?).

@Red_Raevyn I dig that dragon-thing's face, always-open mouths are always kind of eerie and off-putting. In a good way.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    Thanks sieg. Yeah I'll prob end up going for thinner antennae in the end. GIS yielded a wide variety of different creepy crawlers, so I ended up drawing a few of the more interesting ones.

I def want dongle to be pretty stoic in general but I want the eyes to show some emotion though.

Right now I'm kind of torn between the rigid sharp corners of the ones in the upper left, or the more rounded edges of the ones more to the right...thoughts?

• Options
    Curved. His face/mouth/eyes are all sharp and rigid so making his limbs and body curved gives a nice contrast.

And curved at the bottom makes it look like he's got a lil' butt.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2013
    I am slightly behind, but not as bad as my lack of posting may indicate. I'm on page 17, and got through some of the hazy middle part that was mostly unwritten in the script. The later half of the comic is easier for me to see, now.
    layouts_8.png
    layouts_9.png
    layouts_10.png
    layouts_11.png
    layouts_12.png
    layouts_13.png
    layouts_14.png
    layouts_15.png
    layouts_16.png
    layouts_17.png

Iruka on
  • Options
    Love the throwback sketchbook

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You could do with some thicker borders certain places. Take the two rows of panels in the middle of this page for example
    layouts_14.png
    Carter's ears in the bottom panels align with his foot(or bottle or what it is?) in the upper panels and the same goes for his dad's ear/leg, and it makes them all seem like one single unit/pattern. Thin borders can look really cool sometimes but most of the time they don't end up looking like borders at all, creating some tangency issues between various panels.

m3nace on
  • Options
    Good call, @menace, Nice to know that ahead of time. I'll make sure that those panels have enough space to breathe and I'm sure the pose will change up a bit, which may help. Some of those gutters will maybe be a solid color, so it may not be as pencil thin as my sketch makes it out to be.

@Siegfried I spent so long trying to make that panel look right.

• Options
    Good luck to everyone! Pro tip: wake up early and work on it for at least an hour before you start your day. It's all too easy to decide to sleep in, but it's even easier to get tired/burnt-out/distracted in the evening.

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    This is quite hard I wish Iruka had encouraged us to start sooner.

• Options
    I am silently judging you all.

• Options
    I... uh. Yeah.

HnHx8kE.jpg

I'll try to do something everyday. Probably though Noah's course will ruin me.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Sigh....so rushed. ugh
    comicpage2_zps67a3442d.jpg

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    yikes...it looks grainy and crappy on here! The font is all jacked up. Hmmm...dunno what happened here..

• Options
    My word.

P9Dfco5.jpg

• Options
    New colour coding system in place in the library.

PjpB4yf.jpg

If anyone else fancies posting some comics that would be nice. I really should have come up with a plot before starting this! I want to make panel 1 look better but I want to sleep more. Work in the morning.

• Options
    image_zpscab9bad2.jpg

Got the first 20 pages thumbnailed! Yay!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can finish the story without doing prob around 30 more pages. So not feeling good about having this completely finished in a month. Maybe 2 months though!

Once I get some rough pages, I'll post them ASAP to get some feedback. At this point, I think it would be better to just hammer out more thumbnails.

• Options
    @earthwormadam just make it a two-parter, end this month with a cliffhanger and finish it up next month

@sampangolin props for "super jet flight academy" and "I made him promise."

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    Thanks @siegfried! Glad it is somewhat appreciated.

Getting pretty intense today.

FfqfzXr.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Blindddd, AND no stache!?! Clearly this top gun has a tough fight ahead of him! I laughed!!

20 more pages thumbnailed. These ones didn't come out as easily as the past ones...hrrrm hopefully this doesn't spell trouble for the ending 20. time will tell!

image_zps58ca4d3e.jpg

Oh and thanks for the thought about the rounded bottom Sieg, I'm gonna roll with that!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Cheers earthwormadam! I am aware there are lots of problems with it but it's a fun exercise none the less. Good work on the thumbs! Looking good. Is it 60 in total you reckon then?

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to see these all finished @earthwormadam I really miss seeing comics from you.

• Options
    Thnx peeps, I miss making comics. I'm excited to potentially have a finished thing, that I could print out and hold in my hands.

I'm thinking around 60, but it could be slightly more I think. Some of the things in my thumbnails are happening too fast, pacing wise.

There's not a ton of action in this comic, it's more about discovery, and reading between the lines. I think getting the pacing right is key, there's a few spurts of action though.

• Options
    Looks like they're in for a... Ruff landing.

qaRAEXS.jpg

Ungh. That is the end of this short story! Art camp begins tomorrow. I'll try to tidy up a few things and post the 5 together in the next couple of days.

• Options
    Preeetty cooool! Though I'd love to see something like that, but longer, and maybe a tad more varying angles and layouts! Cheers for producing what you did in such quick turnaround though.

Last 20 pages rough thumbnails. Now I can start final concept designs, and then do some larger rough layouts.

image_zps9e74176f.jpg

• Options
    Thanks! Yeah looking back there are a lot of talking heads. Learned quite a bit doing it for the first time though.

Your thumbs look really good, I'm looking forward to seeing some finished.

@iruka? 1 week in today! Post some stuff!

• Options
    Busy week, I'm almost done with the layouts (im on page 24.) I'll post some shit Friday night.

• Options
    Note to self. do not drink heavily on weekends. Not only did I loose 2 days of progress, but I lost 2 more after that for rest and recovery....

First nine pages in more refined form. Sorry for crappy Iphone pics, threw out my scanner last time I moved. Feeback appreciated.

image_zps9b294fb4.jpg
    image_zps4b0e6f89.jpg
    image_zps4b1591ab.jpg
    image_zps79251ef2.jpg
    image_zpsfc97ab49.jpg
    image_zpsab3cb74e.jpg
    image_zpsecb5ce9d.jpg
    image_zpsdd5f8531.jpg
    image_zpsec875e08.jpg

Anyone know a good template to use for a regular 8.5 by 11 layout?

• Options
    Alright,

I got my 30 pages laid out, finally. My Job really got in the way this month, but I got a new job! So hopefully I can finish this comic up through December, yeah? Never say die.

Good news is I actually still like this comic, after powering through. Its missing a sequence (carter is supposed to have a dream sequence) but I'm not sure its needed to get the point across.

Here it all is.

layouts_1.png
    layouts_2.png
    layouts_3.png
    layouts_4.png
    layouts_5.png
    layouts_6.png
    layouts_7.png
    layouts_8.png
    layouts_9.png
    layouts_10.png
    layouts_11.png
    layouts_12.png
    layouts_13.png
    layouts_14.png
    layouts_15.png
    layouts_16.png
    layouts_17.png
    layouts_18.png
    layouts_19.png
    layouts_20.png
    layouts_21.png
    layouts_22.png
    layouts_23.png
    layouts_24.png
    layouts_25.png
    layouts_26.png
    layouts_28.png
    layouts_29.png
    layouts_30.png
    layouts_31.png

Now to color.

• Options
    Keep it up Iruka.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Nice! "This will BE a truck" may be a coincidence of what got caps'ed, but I like to think of it as a statement forcing it to be true.

• Options
    So, I guess after tomorrow I may as well just use my thread for my pages, but I wanted to post in here one last time with these:
    Page_1.jpg
    Page_2.jpg

All in all, I did get further than last Natco. I made all my layouts, and they are all coherent (well, to the degree that I need for painting). And then, with these two pages, I feel like I know how to execute the rest of the comic, which is a cool step forward. So now my goal is to try and get it done for the new year.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Keep it up. I BELIEVE IN YOU

• Options
    Thanks nibcrom! I'm going to try and rope you into this shit next year.