As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So is the new recruit a friend thing actually active with 5.4.1?

Depending on requirements I might be interested in buying some black friday copies of the game since no one on earth doesn't have an account for WoW already.

No, the RAF program seems to be on hiatus. I'm waiting for it to open back up again as I have a pending mount reward to claim.. eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11275286

Jimbo on
    404 not found
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Warlords of draenor is a thing

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That possible Black Friday deal is good to know. I decided to pick this up again just started my ten day trial for Pandaria. It'll suck waiting but that'll definitely beat forty bucks.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    I...I had the worst Flex encounter last night. It might have just been the worst encounter I've ever had with other human beings in game. Went in as my tank who sits at 545 ilvl, was called a noob because I have two pieces of 543 timeless gear on my chest and ring. On Malkorok we wipe three times before I put my foot down and say that you're dying because no one is bothering to stand in purple zones, and not stacking up on us tanks during blood rage. I'm called an idiot for that. Figure I'll wait it out, after two more wipes most people leave-we reform, get a fairly decent group.

We get to spoils, to which I haven't done a whole lot on my tank except for in LFR and I'm still getting the box opening down, which I tell them and ask for a bit of help from one person in opening in the right order for me, to which no one helps and we wipe. I don't complain, admit my fault and get called...things I don't even want to repeat.

I zoned out, logged out and curled up in a fetal position on my couch and cried to sleep.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Sorry to hear that. People really do have a way of making MMOs terrible.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    As long as we don't have to deal with emo vampires in WoD

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    WoW themed mod for SC2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veyR3DsK98s

Then someone will turn it into a MOBA and the cycle will start anew.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Yup, WARLORDS OF DRAENOR is starting to look pretty solid. WOD, WoD, Wod.

Would be funny if it was another side project ala Hearthstone.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I have a question, as a prospective returning player.

What kind of duo content is there?
    Is raiding still a requirement for neat looking/good gear?
    Does PA have any guild representation these days?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

1) Duo? Well, anything out in the world, rares, achievements, etc; old dungeons, raids and so on. Solo or duo. But as far as current instanced content, the closest is scenarios but they're three people. People playing with spouses/so's/kids etc is pretty normal so you actually see a lot of people in pairs. If one person is a tank, the other is healer, instant queues for everything forever, pretty much. I don't know how many times I've seen that combo in LFD and such.

2) Eh, yes and no; there's LFR which isn't really raiding, but is raid content that has versions of gear raiders get. And there's a decade of old content that you can easily access (and usually solo, or at worst small group pug) that has a plethora of cool looking gear you can use to transmog and such. And if the rumors are true regarding the next xpack, this could be even easier and more appealing.

3) Not that I know of, at least not in G&T. I think Shambler's Milk over in SE++ is fairly active, you might check over there.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

New name for their DOTA due to the legal kerfuffle over Heroes of the Storm.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    As long as we don't have to deal with emo vampires in WoD
    so I'm not the only one that thinks of world of darkness first ^^

1) Duo? Well, anything out in the world, rares, achievements, etc; old dungeons, raids and so on. Solo or duo. But as far as current instanced content, the closest is scenarios but they're three people. People playing with spouses/so's/kids etc is pretty normal so you actually see a lot of people in pairs. If one person is a tank, the other is healer, instant queues for everything forever, pretty much. I don't know how many times I've seen that combo in LFD and such.

2) Eh, yes and no; there's LFR which isn't really raiding, but is raid content that has versions of gear raiders get. And there's a decade of old content that you can easily access (and usually solo, or at worst small group pug) that has a plethora of cool looking gear you can use to transmog and such. And if the rumors are true regarding the next xpack, this could be even easier and more appealing.

3) Not that I know of, at least not in G&T. I think Shambler's Milk over in SE++ is fairly active, you might check over there.

Thanks, man. This is pretty much what I was looking for, and had gleaned from elsewhere on the internet.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's pretty fun to run around timeless island with a duo/small group

aside from that though the game is probably pretty much what it was when you played before: you got your five mans, your raiding, your pvp. LFR and flex make it easier to raid than it has been before, though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    I do have to say I kind of regret not getting in to this sooner given how much I like Chinese.

Outside of mispronunciations Pandaria's starting zone and story is a lot of fun for me.

What's "flex"? I could probably Google this but...

I just like the way you talk to me.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

Raid between LFR and Normal difficulties (also in ilvl) that scales per play in the raid; it allows you to raid with odd numbers of players, so if you've got 14 people who want to raid you don't have to bench 4 anymore, you can just run with 14 and it will scale to that.

EDIT: it's apparently been really successful and popular, though I can't say I've done it myself. It's become the modern way of pugging raids without having to deal with LFR, but without quite as much difficulty as normal raiding.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular

There are four difficulties ranging from easiest to hardest: LFR, Flex, Normal, Heroic. Flex is a raid that has a group size between 10-25. The more you have the more HP the bosses/adds have and the more damage they do. The difficulty scales with the number of players in the group.

Well, that sounds just perfect.

Not that I actually plan on being an active raider (my wife has never been big on the social interaction in MMO's, she just likes to play with me in an endless game)... It's nice to know it's easier to get in to now. That was what drove me away previously. I just didn't have the desire, time, and friends to get into the raiding scene.

Maybe you should do LFR? That's what I do, besides the queue times it's very pick up and play when ever you like. Tanks have near instant queues. Healer queue times aren't too bad, dps have pretty bad queue times.

So is the monk good at tanking/healing? I'm sticking to DPS for now since I'm running around by myself but I do plan on switching over two one or both of those later down the line.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Monk is so good at tanking they're in the red.

Healing by punching dudes is the most fun.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Flex is basically the go-to puggable content these days. It's relatively easy and yet not completely braindead-faceroll like LFR is. It's essentially a "Lite" version of Raiding. Still have to pay attention to and follow mechanics, but things deal less damage/have less health. Insta-gib mechanics usually won't insta-gib you, but they will bring you to dangerously low health.

And, speaking of LFR, man is it miserable. I went in to ToT pt2 a few days ago on my Mage alt, trying to get Secrets of the Empire. Commence half hour plus wiping on goddamn Megaera trash because people kept facepulling the spiders. You know the ones, they glitch out and teleport people to them (even if they're out of range/combat). So all it takes is one person to aggro these fuckers, and it'll slowly wipe the whole raid. This happened like 3 goddamn times in a row. Would've made sense for the tanks to just clear that trash out but nooooo gotta skip trash! Gotta save time! Yeah, alright then.

It just wasn't fun. People act like jerks in LFR because there's no consequence, everyone's anonymous, and you'll never see each other again. The queue times are pretty ridiculous these days too (45 min+ queue for tanks/dps). You CAN queue for multiple LFRs, and your queue position will be saved when one pops... so by the time the first one finishes, your second one should pop immediately, etc. Problem is that LFR, which was originally billed as something for people that don't have time to commit to anything... has changed to being a HUGE time commitment. You have these really long queues, and then it takes forever to actually clear the instance. I haven't touched the Siege LFRs outside of Wing 1, but I've not heard good things about it.

I really really hope that for 6.0 they just make LFR ridiculously easy to get through. Offer shittier gear like we have now, but don't make it a pain to slog through. We have Normal/Heroic gear, which are really good, we have Flex gear which is not as good but also not that bad, and now LFR is just shitty. Which is a good thing! Keep it that way. LFR should not be a rung on the gearing ladder, have it offer shitty gear, but make it easy and painless to get through.
    Quid wrote: »
    So is the monk good at tanking/healing? I'm sticking to DPS for now since I'm running around by myself but I do plan on switching over two one or both of those later down the line.

Monk tanks are arguably one of the best tanks in the game right now, alongside Prot Pallies. Ridiculous survival/self-healing, tons of raid utility, great DPS (still, even despite the nerfs). Not super familiar with Monk healers, but they're also doing pretty good right now. They're solid, for sure.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Would've made sense for the tanks to just clear that trash out but nooooo gotta skip trash! Gotta save time! Yeah, alright then.
    Of all the things that I've endured while playing this game over the past nine or whatever years it's been, this particular line of thinking from every PuG in the world is the one thing that fills me with homicidal rage the fastest. It never pans out. Never. Ever. Never ever. Whether it's a five man dungeon or a raid full of "pro's", in-motherfucking-variably there's a person(or people) who manage to bumble into the trash and fuck the group eight ways from Sunday. It never, never fails. And yet, after ALL these years, it's the one thing I can always count on to happen if I'm in a PuG of any sort.

The only thing that surprises me at all about the trend is that it is still a constant thing this far into the life of this bloody game. It boggles the mind, it really does.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    I've been kicked from groups for intentionally pulling trash groups that the tank was trying to skip. Fuck YOU, killing them now is faster than wiping later.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I play tanks and I like to clear out trash. People yell at me. DPS leave.

Okay, DPS, you really showed me with how it took a fraction of a second to find your replacement.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • EnialisEnialis Registered User regular
    In 5 mans it's kinda annoying, because the odds of you ever running back is pretty low and they aren't a lot of people. It also takes all of 10 seconds so no big deal. I think the only time I ever got annoyed at a tank for clearing out trash was some dude in Mogushan Palace who insisted on clearing the entire first room for "more world drop epics."

In LFR it's almost a guarantee you're pulling extra mobs on the run back. Hell, guild would do it every once in a while during progression. I've always viewed clearing everything as a good filter because anyone who is mad enough to leave raid due to the extra 2 minutes is probably going to blow up the raid during the fight anyway.

It's Blizzard related, but holy shit go check the bottom of your Battle.net downloads page. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
    Enialis wrote: »
    In 5 mans it's kinda annoying, because the odds of you ever running back is pretty low and they aren't a lot of people. It also takes all of 10 seconds so no big deal. I think the only time I ever got annoyed at a tank for clearing out trash was some dude in Mogushan Palace who insisted on clearing the entire first room for "more world drop epics."

In LFR it's almost a guarantee you're pulling extra mobs on the run back. Hell, guild would do it every once in a while during progression. I've always viewed clearing everything as a good filter because anyone who is mad enough to leave raid due to the extra 2 minutes is probably going to blow up the raid during the fight anyway.

The thing with 5 mans is that for the first tier of the expansion, especially in the first couple months of 'gearing' for most folks, even the easiest trash pack can often be lethal. But honestly, I don't even necessarily mean "let's clear everything that walks, crawls or swims from the instance". I mean if it's some pack off in the corner somewhere, whatever, leave it be. But in every new bit of content Blizzard puts out there always seems to be one or two instances that are -packed- with trash mobs that some jerkoff thinks will totally be faster if we just do this little skirt-breathlessly-around-the-corners and play Red Light:Green Light with the patrols, and it's stupid. Someone always fucks it up, which in turn always results in a wipe and inevitably takes twice as long to dick with as it would have just burning the initial pack(s) down in the first place.

In short, PuGs are AIDS-filled buckets of sadness and people in general are a blight on this fine planet.

Alright I may have overshot that one just a tad.

Wow I'm pissed. I want to get 1 month play time but I don't have a credit card and for reasons I can't get one any time soon. I used to buy 60 day subscriptions but I don't like doing that I just want one month. Just recently I subscribed for one month non reoccurring with my Blizzbucks and it ended and despite what I said about not wanting to play 2 months straight I want to subscribe again but it won't let me without a credit card:( or going to a store and getting a time card. I guess they only let you use blizzbucks for wow time for a short period of time, ugh:(.

Guess I'll have to buy a 60 day time card if I want to come back.

Ooh, random Warlords idea:

It's a new RTS set in the Warcraft universe, made with the SC2 engine. Since we're never going to get a new Warcraft strategy game due to WoW, they went back in time a bit and decided to tell stories/set the games there.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • EnialisEnialis Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Enialis wrote: »

The thing with 5 mans is that for the first tier of the expansion, especially in the first couple months of 'gearing' for most folks, even the easiest trash pack can often be lethal. But honestly, I don't even necessarily mean "let's clear everything that walks, crawls or swims from the instance". I mean if it's some pack off in the corner somewhere, whatever, leave it be. But in every new bit of content Blizzard puts out there always seems to be one or two instances that are -packed- with trash mobs that some jerkoff thinks will totally be faster if we just do this little skirt-breathlessly-around-the-corners and play Red Light:Green Light with the patrols, and it's stupid. Someone always fucks it up, which in turn always results in a wipe and inevitably takes twice as long to dick with as it would have just burning the initial pack(s) down in the first place.

In short, PuGs are AIDS-filled buckets of sadness and people in general are a blight on this fine planet.

Alright I may have overshot that one just a tad.

Oh I totally agree with you. I think there's a lot of "common knowledge" in the game that is espoused by players who aren't really skilled or knowledgeable enough to fully evaluate it, and "skip the trash" is one of them. In theory it's faster, in practice people are bad and it takes longer. But the reinforcement I feel like a lot of people use is "player X was stupid, skipping trash is still a good idea." Kinda like how obviously doomed to fail BG strategies become How This Battleground Is Done. The outcomes are either 1) strategy X worked or 2) everyone who isn't me in this pug is bad, never the actual outcome 3) strategy X is terrible.

Probably should also have clarified the example that it was after my guild had Ra-Den on farm, at which point pulling trash mobs which will never ever pat close to the run back path is a complete waste of time and much better loot is available for less effort in LFR.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you can just get a prepaid credit card and pay with that if you just want one month

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed. I brought a Quilen to LFR for the battle rez because I wanted to be helpful in the 'oh shiz....' moments that inevitably happen in LFR. Come to learn not only is the Quilen brez based on the pet's location and not mine, but i have to use the move to command once I find the corpse. And, btw, there's no fading/lighting-up of the brez when the fallen party member is targeted so you literally have to scan for the corpse and....f'it. Its bad enough if the pet has to path to the party member anyway. you have to be beast master to use the pet, and the pet IS your dmg, so this seems like way too much of a dmg loss to me. Guess I'm back to the spirit beast for now. It might even be a thing if the pet would path itself once you clicked the brez on the downed pc, but I wonder if that's just too much dps loss too.

Meh. I'm at a loss as to what pet to bring to raids. LFR usually has a good mix of classes even if they aren't too bright, so pet choice seems largely unimportant so long as it's dps specced. I like the boar for the debuff, but i guess it doesn't stack with something two or three other classes already routinely do as a part of their rotation? Whatever. I went through the trouble of getting the bear spirit, guess I'll keep him on dps with me.

And @Dibby, hells yes. If the gear in LFR were slightly more in line with Flex/Normal/Heroic, then I wouldnt care about the time involved. It would be lengthy raiding, just the game-provided pug one. As it is, it really shouldn't take even reprobates more than 30 minutes to complete. Because you can count on those brainless jerks to show up and make themselves known. But as things are, the length of time undermines the purpose. I'm doing LFR because I'd kind of like to do a legendary questline, at least semi-such while its current. never done that. With how long queues plus clears are taking in LFR at the moment (my average ranges 2 to 3 hrs), I probably won't complete the damn cape before the next expansion. I just don't have the availability to gamble on the time more than once or twice a week (well, without sacrificing school time I really should be using properly....)

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Wait, you couldn't click on their raid bar to rez them and have the pet automatically run in range and then rez them? How terrible.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Papagander wrote: »
    I'm disappointed. I brought a Quilen to LFR for the battle rez because I wanted to be helpful in the 'oh shiz....' moments that inevitably happen in LFR. Come to learn not only is the Quilen brez based on the pet's location and not mine, but i have to use the move to command once I find the corpse. And, btw, there's no fading/lighting-up of the brez when the fallen party member is targeted so you literally have to scan for the corpse and....f'it. Its bad enough if the pet has to path to the party member anyway. you have to be beast master to use the pet, and the pet IS your dmg, so this seems like way too much of a dmg loss to me. Guess I'm back to the spirit beast for now. It might even be a thing if the pet would path itself once you clicked the brez on the downed pc, but I wonder if that's just too much dps loss too.

Meh. I'm at a loss as to what pet to bring to raids. LFR usually has a good mix of classes even if they aren't too bright, so pet choice seems largely unimportant so long as it's dps specced. I like the boar for the debuff, but i guess it doesn't stack with something two or three other classes already routinely do as a part of their rotation? Whatever. I went through the trouble of getting the bear spirit, guess I'll keep him on dps with me.

And @Dibby, hells yes. If the gear in LFR were slightly more in line with Flex/Normal/Heroic, then I wouldnt care about the time involved. It would be lengthy raiding, just the game-provided pug one. As it is, it really shouldn't take even reprobates more than 30 minutes to complete. Because you can count on those brainless jerks to show up and make themselves known. But as things are, the length of time undermines the purpose. I'm doing LFR because I'd kind of like to do a legendary questline, at least semi-such while its current. never done that. With how long queues plus clears are taking in LFR at the moment (my average ranges 2 to 3 hrs), I probably won't complete the damn cape before the next expansion. I just don't have the availability to gamble on the time more than once or twice a week (well, without sacrificing school time I really should be using properly....)

If you can make time on Tuesdays/Wednesdays, LFR is immensely more proficient, and thus muuuuuuuuuuch faster overall.

• PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    @Opty, no, no you can't. I can't tell if you're being cheeky or not, but I do feel lazy for complaining about it. It's just that in times where I might need to use the brez as a hunter, I'm likely far away from whomever I need to use it on. I don't have the best graphic card either, so without the visual clue on the hotkey to assist me, it can be very hard to figure out where the hell the person is. Between that, manually having to direct the pet, and the off chance that the person died because they're an idiot and they'll be dead a second later as well.... it just doesn't seem like Blizz actually wants me to have battle rezzes on my hunter. I might try making a macro on it, as the macro for pet heals on the spirit beast will actually display shaded/highlighted for outside/within range. But even with that as finding aid, I wonder if I'm just losing too much time on the boss to make up for it. I'd really like it for when a tank or heals is down, but as it stands I don't think I'd be quick enough with the skill to use it in time to matter.

I do try to game on Tuesdays as much as I can, but its not always a sure thing Tuesday is faster. With class on Wednesday nights that's usually out for me. I have to say, I've gotten some surprisingly good runs on Mondays though. Not sure why, as most people warn against it.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

New name for their DOTA due to the legal kerfuffle over Heroes of the Storm.

... SON OF A BITCH.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Papagander wrote: »
    @Opty, no, no you can't. I can't tell if you're being cheeky or not, but I do feel lazy for complaining about it. It's just that in times where I might need to use the brez as a hunter, I'm likely far away from whomever I need to use it on. I don't have the best graphic card either, so without the visual clue on the hotkey to assist me, it can be very hard to figure out where the hell the person is. Between that, manually having to direct the pet, and the off chance that the person died because they're an idiot and they'll be dead a second later as well.... it just doesn't seem like Blizz actually wants me to have battle rezzes on my hunter. I might try making a macro on it, as the macro for pet heals on the spirit beast will actually display shaded/highlighted for outside/within range. But even with that as finding aid, I wonder if I'm just losing too much time on the boss to make up for it. I'd really like it for when a tank or heals is down, but as it stands I don't think I'd be quick enough with the skill to use it in time to matter.

I do try to game on Tuesdays as much as I can, but its not always a sure thing Tuesday is faster. With class on Wednesday nights that's usually out for me. I have to say, I've gotten some surprisingly good runs on Mondays though. Not sure why, as most people warn against it.

No, I apologize if it seemed like I was insulting you; I was insulting Blizzard for putting something that broken in the game.

This discussion has been closed.