As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!! [Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney]

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    just finished

this game was really good

although either it's easier or I've gotten really good at picking out their logic

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I feel like I need to replay the old games to get a feel for that, but yeah, even if it is easier I'm not sure that's entirely bad?

Like, you always know where to go in this game, but man, sometimes in the old games it got really frustrating trying to figure out what I was missing in the investigation phase. But on occasion in this game I felt like I was getting railoroaded through the investigations. So... I can see it both ways, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    finished this earlier

it is easily my most favorite since the first
    I was really hoping for a Maya or Franziska cameo but Pearl and Edgeworth were great

Shorty on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Case 4 spoilers
    I figured out the launch pad/museum switch as soon as they hinted at it (quite a clever twist), but I didn't notice the obscured '2' in the surveillance footage until they asked for it. Bravo, Capcom.

• Options
    if they do AA6 and Maya doesn't show up I am going to weep like a fucking child

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I have no idea who the culprit is in Case 5 so now I'm running through the scenarios with literally every character in the profiles section except Phoenix

Right now I'm leaning towards the longshots of
    One of the robots or somehow Detective Fulbright

It's crazy enough to work

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Before I finish the game, I'm doubling down on my guess of the Case 5 culprit
    It was Bobby Fulbright

He's the only person that is connected to all aspects of this case that isn't one of the three attorneys or Clay Terran, and he certainly didn't kill himself

He expresses a very deep interest in the Space Center, so he could have had the knowledge of the way the robots operated

He was there on the morning of the murder

He was at the courthouse on the day of the bombing

He knows Blackquill is innocent because he himself is the guilty party

He's the phantom that has been torturing Blackquill, literally, with electric shocks

He's been pushing everyone to seek out the truth and uncover his guilt because he truly does believe that justice needs to be served without exception

If I'm wrong about this then I have absolutely no goddamn idea

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Case 1-3:
    It's a pain in the ass moving from one end of the studio to the other. The game could do with a fast travel system.

Mia seems a lot more unflappable than in the first case. I guess being dead helps you keep perspective.

Tee hee, Edgeworth being very much flappable is highly amusing!

• Options
    HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    CASE 4 ENDING
    WHAAAAAAAAATTTT? My head is buzzing with possible culprits, now.

• Options
    Like seriously I don't care how "easy" the rest of the game was

You didn't fucking see that coming, there is no way you (general you) saw that coming!

I FUCKIN' CALLED THAT

I HAVE EVIDENCE

AND AS WE ALL KNOW

EVIDENCE IS EVERYTHING IN A COURT OF LAW!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'm going to have to put some thought into if this is my new favorite game in the franchise

(overall spoilers)
    Phoenix Wright 3 was kind of a masterpiece, but this was also excellent

The Phantom was a phenomenal villain, but Godot had that turnaround of being a guy you kinda didn't want to actually catch

He was essentially a tragic hero who fell from grace, and you really felt bad for the guy

The Phantom was a total monster who when you total it up has caused pain and suffering far beyond Kristoph Gavin or even Dahlia Hawthorne, and it was so satisfying figuring him out and nailing him to the wall

After I finish these games, I like to take the time to think about the thematic consistencies that link all the cases together, and I think this is the strongest game thematically since PW3

They really make you feel the Dark Age of the Law, in that all the victims are genuinely good people who were helping their communities and were generally beloved, but were cruelly taken away by evil people

The writing and characterization is as on point as ever, with you really feeling the weight of the near-decade Phoenix has been away and his status as a wise master attorney and mentor to his junior partners

Apollo gets tons of development in his character, becoming not just a rookie attorney stand-in for the Phoenix of old, but his own man whose passion for pursuit of the truth surpasses all else, even if it means having to turn on a friend if said friend has gone outside the law and all the facts seem to point to that truth

It's now hard to imagine this series without Athena, who easily slid into the Wright Anything Agency as a woman whose incredible inner strength overcame her crippling fears in order to save the man who sacrificed everything for her sake

I'm a sucker for a story that starts you off absolutely hating a character, but manages to sway you on them by the end, and Blackquill was no different

You loved to hate that guy at the start of the game, by over the course of it you see his true nature as one of the most loyal people you'll ever meet, who in his own way was essentially the best kind of prosecutor: one who isn't about winning or losing, but about the ultimate truth

It's unfortunate to see some beloved characters like Maya, Trucy, Gumshoe, Klavier, Ema, and Franziska either sidelined or not even mentioned, but the series may have moved past them and onto bigger things

I'm praying above all else that we'll be able to see where they go from here

If it weren't for huge achievements in games this year like The Last of Us or Gone Home I might call this my Game of the Year just for how well-made it was

despite all the typos

There's something to be said for a just plain rock-solid entry in a 10-year running franchise

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    General AA5 spoilers
    Money was the motivation for every murder.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    case 5 ending
    I think everyone being all OH MY GOD YOU WILL *NEVER* GUESS THE CULPRIT ends up being kind of a quasi-spoiler

because it makes people stop and think "huh, who is a character that i would never ever suspect to be the culprit" and fulbright's about the only one that works

• Options
    edited November 2013
    case 5 ending
    I think everyone being all OH MY GOD YOU WILL *NEVER* GUESS THE CULPRIT ends up being kind of a quasi-spoiler

because it makes people stop and think "huh, who is a character that i would never ever suspect to be the culprit" and fulbright's about the only one that works
    Kinda, but I was also doing that same thing for every case in the game, suspecting everyone when they don't flat-out tell you who did it

Also they threw me off the Fulbright trail for a while and I was pretty sure Aura did it until Athena said it was a man

Oh yeah, and about your thing with Professor Means

Him showing up with his staff at the beginning of the case is actually a bug

In the Japanese version of the game, he greets you without his staff

For some reason in the English version he still has it

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    re: that spoiler

Are there any other differences/bugs like that?

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh yeah, they also break the formula again in a way you don't notice until you've finished the game
    At the beginning of every PW game, they show you the culprit behind every case

They trick you in AA5

They make you think Ted Tonate blew up the courthouse, but he didn't do it, it was the Phantom

They don't make any hints at all towards Tonate's real crime, and it's actually a pretty big twist when you uncover how Detective Arme really died

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    My theory very early into Case 5 (don't tell me if I'm right or wrong, this is more for posterity's sake)
    The Phantom theory I can't get out of my head is Fulbright, he was in a position to frame Athena with the lighter and he was at the Space Centre at the time + he's Blackquill's handler. God I hope I'm wrong though, I love Fulbright and want him in the next game, too.

• Options
    Late Case 5 spoilers
    I

FUCKING

CALLED IT!

Looking back over other people's spoilers, it looks like I wasn't the only one, but man, that was an excellent twist. I'm at the recess now, time to see if this can get any crazier.

• Options
    Apollo Justice came out in 2008

i swear to god if there's another 5 year break between games

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Don't forget AAI and Ghost Trick (although I don't know if all the same people were involved in that).

God, this game was really damn good, that last case was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Ending spoilers
    They really did a good job of making the Wright Anything Agency feel like a team, they managed to outdo the Wright/Mia finger-point from T&T. When The Phantom revealed his Starbuck mask that was so stupid/great.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    just gimme an all Athena game thanks

gimme Athena starring in LA Noire

• Options
    Shu Takumi, the creator of Ace Attorney, created Ghost Trick, but I dunno if that was the Ace Attorney team

Also turns out he's not essential to creating a great Ace Attorney game

He skipped AA5 to work on Layton vs. Wright, and this still turned out great

He didn't work on Apollo Justice, either

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Kinda less interested in Layton vs. Wright because it resets all the way back to the Phoenix and Maya days of old

Wright & Co Law Offices are dead

Give me the Wright Anything Agency or nothing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I'm totally okay with going back in time

give me more ace attorney investigations, bridging the gap from AJ to AA5, starring Klavier

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    I'm totally okay with going back in time

give me more ace attorney investigations, bridging the gap from AJ to AA5, starring Klavier

LOGIC RIFF

• Options
    Question about Apollo Justice (the game) relating to the end of this game
    So what were Kristoph's black psyche locks about, again? Since we learn here that black means they are subconscious, I'm wondering what implications it has for his character.

• Options
    Question about Apollo Justice (the game) relating to the end of this game
    So what were Kristoph's black psyche locks about, again? Since we learn here that black means they are subconscious, I'm wondering what implications it has for his character.

I think they were about this mystical idea called a 'retcon'

• Options
    is the dlc case out yet

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You know what I want to see for a case? The Judge being the witness/suspect so we can defend him/talk outside the court. This would also allow them to have a case with a lady Judge.

• Options
    Also @Speed Racer apparently in case 3
    In the Japanese version, Means doesn't have his staff when you first meet him, him having it in the English version is a bug.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    this game does way way way more to flesh out apollo than the one with his name on it did

Yes, and I really appreciated the back-story!
    YaYa wrote: »
    just finished

this game was really good

although either it's easier or I've gotten really good at picking out their logic

Although the game was easier, I did not anticipate a couple of the plot twists, whereas I saw the rest coming a mile off in the previous games. I liked it; I didn't get frustrated, but I was always surprised.
    Stilts wrote: »
    The secret best thing about this game is the Notes system.

No more running around trying to figure out what piece of evidence the game wants you to present to someone to actually move the investigation forward.

YES! I never really got stuck - scored a couple of penalty points, but wasn't going through myriad possibilities for hours.
    Shorty wrote: »
    I just started case 2

and so far my favorite thing is how they've mixed together phoenix's haplessness from the first three games with the air of obi-wan-ish wisdom he had in apollo justice

Definitely! It was nicely written.
    I'm glad Apollo wasn't just swept under a rug after the reception to his game.

Aaaaaah, me too. I felt the focus on all three main characters, and their development, was just perfect. I really, really love Apollo as a character and I was so fearful they'd end the series altogether after game 4.
    Shorty wrote: »
    I liked Apollo

both game and character

I don't get why people have a problem with him

There's a number of reasons, some I can accept more than others. I know other people took the character development of Phoenix and Ema pretty hard, and they didn't like that Klavier helps you (because heaven forbid the sixth attorney you face in these games mixes things up). Also a general apathy for the cases and the 'tell' mechanic (although I loved the latter). This isn't a complete list of people's issues, mind, and I liked the game more than most.

e: As for Apollo himself I remember some people feeling like he was just a stand-in for Phoenix.

While I understand all those reasons, I disagree with them. And to be honest I think Apollo's tell mechanism makes more sense than Phoenix's magatama or Athena's Widget.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I kinda liked that Apollo was a way to hit the reset button without actually hitting the reset button

By the end of PW3, Phoenix is kind of a master attorney

And even when they strip his badge away from him in AA4 he's even more of a genius, he's basically become Batman, Attorney at Law, with his big master plan

I'd never looked at it that way before, but you are absolutely correct!

Anyway, sorry for the multi-quotes, I just didn't wish to post in this thread before I finished the game. Looooove it. I don't think I can choose a favourite in this series. I appreciated the cameos and actually didn't mind Ema or Gumshoe's absence. Blackquill was the perfect prosecutor, too. Not unnecessarily evil (was not a Franziska fan myself), but also not *too* friendly (I agree that having Klavier as a prosecutor sometimes made AJ's cases feel too 'safe').

• Options
    I like Apollo's Percieve ability in spite its hokey explanation, although it was smart to curb its use here - keeping it to specific lines of dialogue. I never liked the Magatama that much but its easier now and doesn't result in any penalties. And I liked the Mood Matrix because it mixed things up.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    ARGH ARGH ARGH accidentally clicked on a case five spoiler in this thread and read a certain name and damn it all to hell.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    ARGH ARGH ARGH accidentally clicked on a case five spoiler in this thread and read a certain name and damn it all to hell.

Oh no! That's why I avoided all mention of it online.
    I like Apollo's Percieve ability in spite its hokey explanation, although it was smart to curb its use here - keeping it to specific lines of dialogue. I never liked the Magatama that much but its easier now and doesn't result in any penalties. And I liked the Mood Matrix because it mixed things up.

True, a mix of all three kept things nicely balanced!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    The DLC case, TURNABOUT RECLAIMED, is coming November 21st for $5.99

In it, Phoenix returns to the courtroom for the first time since reclaiming his badge and defends a very interesting client

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Do we know how many blocks it is? This is important because I am close to having to delete stuff.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Finished Case 1-3
    Again, Phoenix going into an isolated place without backup to talk to the suspected murderer. Good thing Gumshoe was there.

Edgeworth making the save and letting you get to the truth! Neato!

And then he doesn't want to see you again because you cause "feelings". I can see where the fanfiction comes from.