As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, that explains the lack of an anniversary post...

YL9WnCY.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    One of the things I feel that MMO's need to get over and is one of the failures of this game and SWToR is the holy trinity {Tank, Healer, DPS}
    Really I never understood how some of these classes were doomed to be a healer {yes they were a decent well thought out class unlike some other ones}
    In Swtor I really cannot figure out how does one "tank" a gunfight and with a lore of Bacta Tanks and other med kits they have a healer class?

Yeah went I got really upset but continued to play was when I made a Magus and really felt let down. They felt broken and half assed

I did pvp a few times most of the time the 'tank" would sit in the door way or make a wall with a few of them while the casters behind them pew pew'd everyone it was not fun

If anything my experiences have taught me the opposite. The further divorced from the holy trinity a game is, the more likely it is to fail. Without the trinity it is much harder to give people a reason to cooperate. end game balancing becomes a daunting proposition. I too used to call for the death of the trinity but it works for a reason.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    Apparently a lot of projects got blocked by EA. There was an expansion planned, based on the Vampire Counts, although I have no idea if this was a real expansion or more like the shitty Skaven "expansion" that was basically making you pay for various cap increases and little meaningful content. They were also trying to get free to play going in at least the Asian market, but that got nixed.

I imagine half of what got these projects axed was Games Workshop being Games Workshop and the other half is EA taking the money for the projects and burning it on that stupid Wrath of Heroes game. Now, a proper Warhammer MOBA would be slick as shit. Base it on Dogs of War to give you a somewhat diverse army or whatever, but it could be cool. Wrath of Heroes was basically scenarios with shallow character kits and all of the WAR assets but none of the depth. Wrath of Heroes would have been a better game if it was literally just pre-made WAR characters in scenarios. The fact they made three team versus shows how fucking clueless they were.

YL9WnCY.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Yeah, after saying that the thought train went, "Oh, right. GW. They're so anal-retentive about how their brand looks they'll totally shit things up just so they won't 'tarnish their image.' "

Going "free to play" would be like admitting failure. And yet, somehow closing the game down isn't.

So glad I don't give GW any of my money.

I'm absolutely certain that GW required they personally approve any content updates for WHO, and then probably refused to, or demanded £LONDON for any such approvals. This would lead quickly into 2 years of no updates and kill the project -- but that's Mythic's failure, not GW's, right? Meanwhile, WHO probably introduced quite a few people to the Warhammer storyverse and lead to increased model sales -- a win win for GW. Oh, and now they get to go farm out Warhammer Fantasy Battle for another, more modern, WOW clone with some other sucker. Er, Developer.

Hell, if GW was a video game company, they'd give Electronic Arts a run for their money in the evil department.

Since it's both GW and EA involved on this project, well, this was kinda doomed at the start. I'm just amazed the install DVDs didn't accidentally spawn gateways to the warp or something.
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Apparently a lot of projects got blocked by EA. There was an expansion planned, based on the Vampire Counts, although I have no idea if this was a real expansion or more like the shitty Skaven "expansion" that was basically making you pay for various cap increases and little meaningful content. They were also trying to get free to play going in at least the Asian market, but that got nixed.

I can tell you this -- a VC or Skaven expansion, either one, would have brought me back for a good long while. Blood Dragon Warrior or Rat Ninja, either one, I wouldn't care, both would have been fun as hell to play I imagine.

It's a damn shame GW has all this great fluff they just shit all over. =/

KiTA on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah. But I'd still buy whatever WH video game comes out most likely :|
    I think that it should make me angry, but I just can't feel angry at the IP.

"WELP DIDN'T WORK OUT THIS TIME, WHAT'S NEXT"

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    Sad to see this happen, even if I haven't played in years. It was a rickety ride from the start, but I have some great memories resulting from it.

My favorite moment came from one of the Battlegrounds (is that what they were called? The instanced PvP things? It's been a while...), the one where you fight over the point-awarding Magic MacGuffin that tries to kill you when you hold it. My friend and I were playing a Disciple and Sorcerer, respectively, at the time, enjoying the PvP since the PvE was, to put it delicately, underwhelming.

Anyway, a skirmish for the MacGuffin ends with it on the ground, and me the only soul in sight. And while I was not the best carry for the ball, leaving it for the other team would have been folly, so I snagged it and began firing off spells.

Now, as I said earlier, the ball did bursts of damage to whoever held it. On top of this, Sorcerers have a mechanic wherein the more spells you cast, the more powerful they become, with the downside that they begin blowing up in your face. So, this magical backlash, combined with the ball trying to kill me, meant that I wasn't going to last long.

Cue half a dozen healers suddenly appearing next to me, dumping every ounce of healing they have into me in a desperate attempt to keep me alive while I bombard the enemy with Dark Magic, obliterating all comers. My life meter was bouncing between EMPTY and FULL every second. It was madness, and absolutely thrilling.

We won that match, and it felt glorious.

Then I exited the map and fell through the world. :P

Steam: arsenic_canary
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Then I exited the map and fell through the world. :P

this was actually my favorite part of that story, and right about in line with the dev quality that was pushed out the poop-chute to release.

that map was fun though.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I will agree with the dev from his final blog post: Warhammer introduced some fantastic MMO ideas that are basically treated as obvious industry standards now.

What is this I don't even.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Sadface

Also I wonder if I'm still the default guild leader of both Candymancers and T6M

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    If the game wasn't ugly, and didn't play like it was based on a decade old DAoC Engine (Which it was), then a lot of the other problems could have been overcome in time. If you dislike how the game looks and plays 5 minutes out of character creation, all the content in the world isn't going to save it.

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Will they please let this game be free to play for even a MONTH. I want to run around the Order city for the first time before its too late ... but its not worth 15 bucks. And yeah I could youtube it but its not the same.

I could very well be wrong on this because it's been ages since I've looked into it but if you do the free trial level 1-10 thing I would think you'd be able to access the cities?

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The worst part of this announcement is that I will never level my Magus up to max level.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I could very well be wrong on this because it's been ages since I've looked into it but if you do the free trial level 1-10 thing I would think you'd be able to access the cities?

Unless its changed then yes it's wrong. You do get level 1-10 but they block access to the capital city without a sub.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The chaos capital was the fucking tits, let me tell you.

I never really saw the other side's capital city, but it can't compare.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    They both were pretty cool, the Empire capital had all sorts of hidden nooks and crannies. Skaven in places you don't expect and such. ALSO! There was sometimes an event where a boss Great Unclean One would just be roaming through the damned alleys in the slums.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    There were tons of hidden little bits in the Chaos capital, too.

Like that big portal that would deposit you into a random dimension for a while, before spitting you back out into reality.

It wasn't tied to a quest or anything. It was just there, if you found it.

And sometimes said portal would spit you out into an area from DAOC.

Man, I'm actually considering reinstalling and walking around for awhile just for shits and grins.

Yeah it's money but considering the amount of time I put into this game?

Hmm.

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Man, do you remember the launch? No other MMO or game for that matter has ever filled me with such hope and excitement - it was the exhiliration of the first kiss with your new girlfriend, and now you have to sit here and watch it waste away.

But we'll remember the good times, won't we?

http://gifsound.com/?gif=http://todofondosdejuegos.com/wp-content/uploads/images/00/warhammer-online.jpg&sound=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa-ae6_okmg&start=0

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I remember when I got to play this before launch and spent those early days playing the shit out of this. An MMO based heavily around just beating people's faces in with copious amounts of waaaaaagh? I was so god damn hype. Then launch came and that hype train kept right on running until I got into the tier three battles and really started feeling things fall apart on the PVP front. I could feel the game starting to kinda fall apart around me the further up I went and eventually just lost interest. I kept an eye on the the game waiting for things to turn around but it never managed to.

This was the first MMO launch I was ever truly hyped up for. So much promise and potential now riding off into the sunset never to be seen again.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    I loved my Dark Eldar characters, still had to control the nerdrage when people said warhammer ripped off warcraft.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    God I loved this game in beta and then at launch with the Six Mouths. Exploration was great and PvP at the time was fantastic.

I miss both my Chosen and my Healing Gobbo :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    White Lion
    WITCH HUNTER
    Warrior Priest
    Slayer
    Black Orc
    CHOPPA

You can say anything you want about Warhammer. But those classes? And the execution of said classes? Presentation? Thematics? Feel? JUST HAVING A GAME WHERE HUNTING WITCHES CAN BE YOUR CHARACTER?

Unrivaled.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    The black orc CHARACTER was pretty awesome, but their mechanic was broke as hell. I had control of the Candymancers when I got an invite and no one else ever logged in again. But then they merged the servers into one and my main was destro, so I think my brothers alt got control. This is, and will always be the only game I ever put up with the PVP in, simply because it made sense to me thematically being a huge Warhammer nerd. The fact that it never gets credit for some ideas, that are almost funamental now (PUBLIC QUESTS) bothers me. I don't know if I'll ever really dedicate the same amount of time to another MMO in a dedicated fashion like I did with this game. I'll piddle around, but nothing will bring me back to mmo's as hardcore. Altoholics Anonymous for ever.

akirasig.jpg
    edited October 2013
    I had a 40 White Lion, Shadow Warrior, Swordmaster, Shaman and Marauder and then a Chosen, Rune Priest, Choppa and Zealot all closing in on 40.

Altoholics Anonymous represent :lol:

*edit*
    ...and now having double checked that on the site I signed up for the 14 day reactivation trial and am downloading the client >_<

HappylilElf on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I never made it to high level myself. Got bored with Magus since it sucked, and never really got better through the game's lifespan. Took a break until they introduced Blackguards, and rolled one of those. Ironbreakers were pretty ridiculous for awhile, and I was expecting something similar. As it turns out, they decided to give the Blackguard an inverse version of the Ironbreaker's mechanic and... that turned out to kind of suck. Tried playing Blackguard for awhile, and I looked incredibly badass... but it just seemed to be resoundingly "meh" while Knights of the Blazing Sun were hilariously overpowered (I think due to a bug, but it was known before release, so...). I ended up quitting the game again, until Choppas and Troll Slayers were released. Choppa was pretty fun, and fairly effective from what I recall, but by that point the game had kind of lost a lot of the magic for me. So I ended up quitting and never really coming back.

...Well, that's not entirely true. I did return for one day with the endless trial to show a friend the game. I can't remember when exactly, but it was quite awhile into the game's lifespan. After talking about how much fun the game is early on, I was a bit embarrassed by how generally shitty the PvE was. Apparently my original excitement of the game made that seem a lot more fun. Think we did the first public quest, then never logged back in again.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So it's free until the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Tons of free leveling and perks too.

It's sad when freaking EA gives WAR a better send-off than NCSoft for CoX.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I wonder if it's possible to turn keep sieges back on for the final weeks.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    i wonder if it's possible to remember what my goddamn account name was

e: nope that's one of my free trial ones gotta keep trying

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    You know, this would make me so excited.

If going through the trouble of resetting my password through EA/Origin didn't make them then laugh in my face and go "HAHA! This is tied to a SWTOR account, you gotta use THAT!" And then I go to the website for it and... "Oh yeah about that, you've got a security tied to it which was on a phone you've not had access to for over a year in a half!"

Fuck it.

So it's free until the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

I should download this hot mess and take some screenshots...

edited November 2013
    Man, it feels weird running around Altdorf again. Especially when you generally remember where things are, but not quite.

Also apparently at some point Happucial got promoted to guild leader of the Candymancers.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Don't know if I can actually do this, because I have to link my account to my origin/ea account. Which I have. But then when I try to recover the password, because it doesn't take my password, it tells me I have to update my account - only my username is already taken because I already have an account. What the hell EA.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Don't know if I can actually do this, because I have to link my account to my origin/ea account. Which I have. But then when I try to recover the password, because it doesn't take my password, it tells me I have to update my account - only my username is already taken because I already have an account. What the hell EA.

I don't know whats up with the account system. All I know is, I can't remember which account to use, or what my password was.

I can't download the game unless I log in. Thanks EA.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    I know I had to use my Origin stuff to log into the specific WAR account website, but had to use/update the Mythic account name/password via there to log into the client.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited November 2013
    I updated my account, but now it's not taking any of the passwords. Oh, and I asked for a password reset email like six hours ago. Still nothing! In this day and age!

DarkPrimus on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I am giving this game the sendoff this game deserves, despite it being overrun with flaws.

I will see the gates of the Inevitable City open once more before me.

AND I WILL ENJOY HER BOUNTIFUL RICHES.