As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah, one of the 'problems' with LFR is that the more competent/raider set seem to tend to do them doing the week, and by the time the weekend rolls around there's a lot of chaff in there

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Tuesday right after the servers come up is probably the fastest I've ever gone through LFR. One shot everything but Garrosh and took him down on the second attempt.

• PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Hehe, no worries. I never felt insulted, I really do think this will be an easy macro to write. Just seemed like Blizz has been moving closer and closer to making this game easier and easier but then now and again you find something like this that just doesn't make any sense at all. I mean, it's like "what if the corehound's heroism-type ability required the hunter and the pet to be in melee range together." Not having a built-in pathing for the ability at the least (or not requiring it at all) seems equally unnecessary for the quillen's brez.

On a side note, I just want to give WOW a big sloppy kiss for making balance druids so much fun to play now. There's never not something I can be doing on that spec. Even spaming your two dots is actually a strategy for groups of mobs building a buff that....it's just awesome. You have at least a couple cooldowns to use for major deeps moments, there's ALWAYS a right and wrong spell to cast based on which eclipse you're currently working towards. I love the simplicity of my mage, don't get me wrong. But there's something about getting caught up in all the little things that just makes Balance a helluva lot of fun to play. might be my new favorite dps.

edited: for really, really bad writing. lol.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Papagander wrote: »
    I'm disappointed. I brought a Quilen to LFR for the battle rez because I wanted to be helpful in the 'oh shiz....' moments that inevitably happen in LFR. Come to learn not only is the Quilen brez based on the pet's location and not mine, but i have to use the move to command once I find the corpse. And, btw, there's no fading/lighting-up of the brez when the fallen party member is targeted so you literally have to scan for the corpse and....f'it. Its bad enough if the pet has to path to the party member anyway. you have to be beast master to use the pet, and the pet IS your dmg, so this seems like way too much of a dmg loss to me. Guess I'm back to the spirit beast for now. It might even be a thing if the pet would path itself once you clicked the brez on the downed pc, but I wonder if that's just too much dps loss too.

Meh. I'm at a loss as to what pet to bring to raids. LFR usually has a good mix of classes even if they aren't too bright, so pet choice seems largely unimportant so long as it's dps specced. I like the boar for the debuff, but i guess it doesn't stack with something two or three other classes already routinely do as a part of their rotation? Whatever. I went through the trouble of getting the bear spirit, guess I'll keep him on dps with me.

At the risk of sounding like a contrarian, I haven't encountered any issues with the Quilen's Battle Rez on my hunter yet. I typically use mine on the tank who dies next to the boss though, so since the pet is already near the boss, there isn't much of a range issue. I just target the downed tank, pop the rez and he's back up (though usually wondering who it was that rezzed him; it's amazing how few players actually know that we have access to a battle rez). I would love to see some better tracking and AI built in to that ability, though. Or if that's too much, just a wider range on the ability, so you can effectively use it nearly anywhere in an area without having to track down a body.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Is leather working worthwhile? I'm torn between actually making my own stuff for once or just having a couple gathering professions and making bank.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Leatherworking is pretty solid. It's as useful as the other crafting professions for making gear, and as of 5.4, it has a daily cooldown that creates a material that you can use to make some nice ilevel 553 BoE pants and belts (as do blacksmithing and tailoring). It takes 21 pieces for the belt and 28 for the pants, so every 3 to 4 weeks you can sell that gear for a nice bit of change for pretty much zero investment.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Leatherworking can make some pretty swanky-looking low level gear, to be sold on a premium for transmog purposes.

• PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    @Halfmex, sweet, at least there's that. I tried to used it on a healer and dps (once the fight mechanics competency of the groups was assured)--neither of which were close to the Iron Jugg. I eventually saw the dps' corpse halfway back to the docks. Never found out where the healer fell. This was probably the worst wing of LFR to test the ability on. I thought with the Iron Jugg at least since the tanks were keeping the box in the narrow entrance area everyone would be close enough it wouldnt matter but nope. And by Dark Shaman with all the crap on the ground and all the movement I just decided to swap out the Quillen for my icy corehound named Maxes. I'll work this out, or at least keep the pet in my mobile bank. I want this utility, I'm just unhappy with its current execution.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Is leather working worthwhile? I'm torn between actually making my own stuff for once or just having a couple gathering professions and making bank.

I'm LW, but much of the usefulness for me is free pants enchants and the bracer enchants. Almost never make anything as my research is always stupid pvp gear.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    If you can skip trash, skip it. Some of you are being silly geese for wanting to add more time when you don't have to. Shaman trash=necessary, other trash=wasting precious seconds of my life.

Just got out of a 2 hour flex garrosh where the dps don't understand the meaning of peeling off garrosh for minions of YSAARJRJAJAJ. Yeah, I admit...I had nothing better to do on this Sunday.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I always liked watching groups skip trash only to have people get picked off while running back from wipes.

See also: Baine trash in the time travel heroic.

In other news managed to complete my mage's cloak, and get to the point where he needs to get the branch for the legendary staff, and tonight gonna see exactly how much of ICC 25can be soloed for shards (I know Festergut and Gunship cannot, but everything else appears to be).

Nobody on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    If you can skip trash, skip it. Some of you are being silly geese for wanting to add more time when you don't have to. Shaman trash=necessary, other trash=wasting precious seconds of my life.

Just got out of a 2 hour flex garrosh where the dps don't understand the meaning of peeling off garrosh for minions of YSAARJRJAJAJ. Yeah, I admit...I had nothing better to do on this Sunday.

Yeah, skipping trash going to megera=being a silly goose. EVERYONE always pulls something extra. mounting and trying to avoid one or two fungals never works.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Question!

Leveling with someone... Is there any kind of level scaling? Or is it still "just don't ever not play together."?

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

Yeah, skipping trash going to megera=being a silly goose. EVERYONE always pulls something extra. mounting and trying to avoid one or two fungals never works.

This is why I'm so glad my main is a tank. And partially is why I play a tank. I have SO much control as to what happens. I get to (for the most part) dictate the flow of a boss fight. It's great. Like I'm a super control-freak, everything has to be JUST right. And Tanking lets me do that. I get to move the boss where I want. I get to pull trash the way I want.

Granted, I don't run LFR on my main because I don't even need to. My guild is 8/14 Heroic, we clear these heroic bosses each and every week, there's no reason at all. It drives me up the wall though, when I'm playing an alt that can't tank, because of people screwing shit up. Like trying to skip trash and facepulling the glitchy teleporting-insta-gib-spiders.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Question!

Leveling with someone... Is there any kind of level scaling? Or is it still "just don't ever not play together."?

Unfortunately, there is no level scaling at the moment. It's something I think they are working on, but as of right now it does not exist.

The final answer as to what I can solo in ICC 25: everything but Festergut, Gunship, BQL, and Dreamwalker.

BQL I can get to about 35% before I run out of time on the bite, and Dreamwalker I can heal up to around 85% before the soft enrage becomes overwhelming.

Which sucks because its 4 potential bosses I'm missing out on shards from.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    Question!

Unfortunately, there is no level scaling at the moment. It's something I think they are working on, but as of right now it does not exist.

It's sort of there, you just need to bug out to see it. I will be shocked if we don't hear something out of Blizzcon regarding scaling.

http://youtu.be/7YBc7pcqSZA

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Assuran wrote: »
    Question!

Apparently the preliminary code is in the game as of 5.4 per a prior post on mmo champion, but if I was a betting man I'd take odds on it not going in until the next expac when they do the stat squish.

edited November 2013

Which is why I said IF YOU CAN. But I guess that's certainly a reply, not a reply to my statement...but definitely words in the wheelhouse.

Also, I've gotten by that trash just fine more than I haven't. I'd call that a net positive.

Crayon on
    But Cray, that's exactly the point. YOU can avoid trash. You can, I can, hell, everyone in this thread can. But in a PuG, which accounts for a huge number of experiences in this game, you're dependent on the lowest common denominator to be exactly that skilled, and they're not. Ever.

So taking the thirty to sixty extra seconds to burn down those couple of packs of trash is vastly more logical than just hoping that the rest of the team is aware enough to follow the leader without incident.

Now, if you're strictly talking guild groups, friends, people you're incredibly familiar with, then sure, skip a pack or three.

Have people had nothing but bad experiences in LFR? I've tanked all wings of SoO for three weeks and have had smooth sailing 95% of the time. I've had worse experiences in flex.

This is, of course, anecdotal and using that as my opinion here so I see the fault.

Thanks guys. I thought of another question: is there a server I should look at? Like, is anyone here in a guild which is welcoming to new players? Or should we just strike out on our own?

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I love how my LFR 2H Sha-Touched weapon is still useful than a LFR spell sword I found in SoO. Still waiting for that weapon to replace my legendary gemmed beauty. (I haven't even upgraded it yet)

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have never seen an LFR not accidentaly pull trash that was being skipped. It takes longer to have to backtrack, kill the trash anyway, then rez everyone that died than it does to just kill the shit in the first place.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    If you don't mind PVP servers, Shambler Milk is a pretty friendly guild. Except for that Pip guy, he's horrible.

Well to be clear, I'm not even referring solely to LFR, because 5-man PuGs are just as bad with this pack-skipping stuff. It's just worse when it happens in LFR because then you have to wait for everyone to get back, deal with the inevitable dropping/refilling of the group, then get rebuffed and prepped again for the pull. Dealing with that once is frustrating, dealing with it multiple times just destroys a person's patience, especially when it could have been completely avoided with just a bit of forethought and a modicum of additional effort.

I have never been through the sewers before Ji Kun where people have not pulled every single living thing in that area. So many are completely avoidable, but every time I've been there (which is a huge number at this point), people always manage to aggro everything and we lose a chunk of the group to snails, spiders, worms and flies. I'll always advocate just burning trash down if there's even the faintest possibility that a person can bumble into it.

Thanks guys. I thought of another question: is there a server I should look at? Like, is anyone here in a guild which is welcoming to new players? Or should we just strike out on our own?

You will be spammed incessantly by level 25 guilds almost as soon as you log in. There's addons or something that people use to just blindly send out invites to unguilded people. You can jump in if you want just to soak up their nice bonuses while you shop around.

Have people had nothing but bad experiences in LFR? I've tanked all wings of SoO for three weeks and have had smooth sailing 95% of the time. I've had worse experiences in flex.

This is, of course, anecdotal and using that as my opinion here so I see the fault.

The question I have to ask is...when are you doing the LFRs? Typically Tuesday-Thursday LFRs are generally okay, with the worst ones being Sunday/Monday.

I mean, an experienced tank helps mitigate some of the problems of a bad LFR (see also: Spoils), but doesn't remove them all. Megeara trash was a good example of a problem point, and currently Garrosh is a good example (where there have been reported experiences of multiple wipes that happen so quickly they don't even get determination stacks from them.)

You will be spammed incessantly by level 25 guilds almost as soon as you log in. There's addons or something that people use to just blindly send out invites to unguilded people. You can jump in if you want just to soak up their nice bonuses while you shop around.

I kind of figured this would be the case.

Anyone have any server recommendations? Places where the cesspool is slightly more shallow?

I'm working on getting all my characters to Emerald Dream, eventually. It's high population RPPVP.

• dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    I like icecrown, but I guess it's a dead server? But I like my guild on it and can use oqueue for any pug stuff I want to do

steam_sig.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Heh, just a week after my RAF friend (like, an actual other person I was leveling up a character with) and I hit 85, then Blizzard changes it so the RAF bonuses work from 80 to 85. After all this time. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Also, over the weekend I noticed a useful ninja fix in 5.4.1. The Timeless Isle teleport trinket no longer gets a 30-second cooldown when you equip it, so you can put it on and port right away instead of having to wait.

forty on
    Yeah it really doesn't matter these days unless you want to do normal & heroic current raids. For anything else you can just party up with people using the battle.net ID or realID system. I think it works for flex but I could be mistaken.

The only caveat is that the person needs to be on a character of the same faction as you.

Nobody wrote: »
    The final answer as to what I can solo in ICC 25: everything but Festergut, Gunship, BQL, and Dreamwalker.

BQL I can get to about 35% before I run out of time on the bite, and Dreamwalker I can heal up to around 85% before the soft enrage becomes overwhelming.

Out of curiosity how are you healing Dreamwalker?

forty wrote: »

Ret paladin. Speccing into eternal flame and ES. Starting fight using LOH on Dreamwalker, then using hopo on eternal flames as much as possible. Blowing wings for when I get the + healing proc when I kill aboms.

On 10 man it's pretty fast, I can't use the portals though since that resets the fight

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Can you just switch to holy for that single fight? Can holy deal with the adds long enough to heal her given how much higher healing would be?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I spent 2.5 hours on Friday killing two bosses in Downfall LFR (Paragons and Garrosh). That was a miserable experience. Multiple wipes to the trash before Garrosh (where the slimes and the patrols that spam stuns on the tanks are). Garrosh took at least an hour. Ugh. If this becomes the normal experience, I'll probably just stop doing Downfall. Doesn't seem worth it.

forty wrote: »

Ret paladin. Speccing into eternal flame and ES. Starting fight using LOH on Dreamwalker, then using hopo on eternal flames as much as possible. Blowing wings for when I get the + healing proc when I kill aboms.

On 10 man it's pretty fast, I can't use the portals though since that resets the fight
    Whoops, I thought you were talking about doing it on a mage.

edited November 2013
    Oops sorry shoulda clarified, going for shadowmourne on my pally so hunting shards

And re going holy, don't really have the gear for it and not sure how it'd handle dealing with the large waves of suppressors

Nobody on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Crayon if that Flex was in-guild, I want to know about it via forum PM here.

@Halfmex (LW) lolopportunitycost

This discussion has been closed.