As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN NEW ONE!

19495969798100»

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    New Super Mario Bros. is the antithesis of innovative.

Ironically.

Thankfully, that's only one of two routes Mario is going for in terms of platforming these days.

On the subject of Zelda, they are trying to buck series standards this time around, if you believe the interviews. Whether ALBW delivers on that remains to be seen, I guess.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Two things:

I recall reading on Eurogamer that PS4 and XBone games had some lag when Vita/Smartglass were employed but it probably depends on the application. Either way the Wii U has hardware specifically to copy the framebuffer to the pad, and the GamePad is included with every console. So while it's a novelty on other consoles that you might throw in some support for for fun it's not something that developers can rely on.

I don't know about SmartGlass tech as that seems to be more of a ancillary function to games (maps, data, support functions, etc), but the Remote Play with Vita and VitaTV is built right into the hardware of the PS4. You're going to see people complaining why they can't play on the GamePad from more than 30 feet on WiiU in about 10 days.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Not to say Nintendo is as bad as, say , EA or Activision, but they're hardly bothering to experiment these days.

I'm not sure what sort of experiment they ought to be doing. They ought to continue using the same IP but with new gameplay concepts, as they have been doing to general success.

When they innovate on the IP side of things, people are hesitant to buy the game. Even if the new IP has groundbreaking new gameplay, sales are too low for it to take off. On the other side of things, when they use an old IP but don't innovate enough on the gameplay end, people get bored, as with New Super Mario Bros. 2.

The classic IP brings people in and gives them the familiarity they need, and the new gameplay keeps them interested.

Nintendo could've made a new IP racing game with unique characters, distinguished from the Mario Kart franchise by its vehicle customization and land/sea/air races, but it wouldn't have sold as much as a Mario Kart game. So we got MK7.

Nintendo could've made a new IP half-rail-shooter-half-third-person-action-game with bizarre locations and hilarious dialogue that has a lot of heart. Would it have sold as much without the Kid Icarus brand attached?

Nintendo could've made a new IP about a wandering swordsman where your movements translate to sword strikes in real time and you can collect monster parts to upgrade your equipment, and rather than having any sense of openness, the whole game feels like a set of dungeons with their own puzzles. Instead we got Skyward Sword.

I prefer them to innovate on the workings of the games themselves rather than on the IP. I mean, sure, both would be great. But when their platform's not selling too well, they need all the help they can get, and the IP sells the games.

Maybe this is just me, but I feel like any new IP these days has a tough uphill battle in order to not seem somewhat generic. Everything feels like a takeoff of something else. "Oh, that game looks like _____."

Heck, look at Wonderful 101! "That game looks like Pikmin. What's up with the random generic superheroes?" Kamiya approched Nintendo, wanting to incorporate their IP in the game, but Nintendo asked them to make it unique. So there it sits on the shelves, its uniqueness untouched.

It's sort of odd, saying Nintendo doesn't take enough risks or doesn't experiment enough. I think the implication is that a new experimental game would be laudable, that if they lose money on a game that is nonetheless a new IP with new gameplay, still, good for them for making that effort. But what about the Wii U, then? Good effort, including a touchscreen pad controller with every console? Good for them, trying to stay out of the technological arms race? You're losing money, but thanks for trying to do something a little different? Heck no, they're criticized to hell and back for experimenting, and they're also paying the price financially.

What incentive are they seeing for trying to be different? Do their experiments ever pay off? Best stick to tried-and-true IP, and trick people into buying your new gameplay, so they don't even realize why the game feels so fresh despite the old characters.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    In today's "Well That Makes Perfect Fucking Sense" category, we have a new marketing initiative from Nintendo. They are opening up a Wii U Lounge in several Pottery Barn Teen stores... because... I don't know.

http://www.pbteen.com/pages/wiiu/

Not a bad idea to have people able to sit on the couch and play it. Also it's not a one day event, it's all afternoon indefinitely starting Nov 4th.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Those cat goombas still freak me out, what other enemies will they cat-ify?

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    Two things:

I recall reading on Eurogamer that PS4 and XBone games had some lag when Vita/Smartglass were employed but it probably depends on the application. Either way the Wii U has hardware specifically to copy the framebuffer to the pad, and the GamePad is included with every console. So while it's a novelty on other consoles that you might throw in some support for for fun it's not something that developers can rely on.

I don't know about SmartGlass tech as that seems to be more of a ancillary function to games (maps, data, support functions, etc), but the Remote Play with Vita and VitaTV is built right into the hardware of the PS4. You're going to see people complaining why they can't play on the GamePad from more than 30 feet on WiiU in about 10 days.

Does it set up an ad-hoc network to cut down latency at least? The Wii U GamePad has only about 33ms, about the same as most high quality televisions.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Those cat goombas still freak me out, what other enemies will they cat-ify?
    600px-Cat_Bullet_Bill_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

Mblackwell on

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    No, the question is if.

Ironically I just saw the commercial a minute ago while watching Adventure Time.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kamiya approched Nintendo, wanting to incorporate their IP in the game, but Nintendo asked them to make it unique.

Preeeetty sure it was the other way 'round?

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Enlong wrote: »
    Kamiya approched Nintendo, wanting to incorporate their IP in the game, but Nintendo asked them to make it unique.

Preeeetty sure it was the other way 'round?

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/02/how-the-wonderful-101-became-the-game-it-is-today/
    Initially, the idea was proposed by [Platinum boss] Mr. Minami, to create a game featuring Nintendo characters or other popular characters together in one game. With the idea of putting characters like Mario and Link into the same game, you end up with a situation where fans of Mario are forced to play as Link.

It’s hard for all fans to enjoy all parts of the game evenly. So [the question was], how can I create a game where there’s an even enough emphasis to put on all the different characters? And the answer was that I could put all the different characters on the screen at the same time. That was the key thought that led to what The Wonderful 101 turned out to be.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

The NSMB series was never meant to have any type of innovation. That's what the 3D Mario series is for.

This makes me a sad panda. Just because it's 2D doesn't mean you can't innovate. I really hope this isn't the way Nintendo thinks of the NSMB series.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

The NSMB series was never meant to have any type of innovation. That's what the 3D Mario series is for.

This makes me a sad panda. Just because it's 2D doesn't mean you can't innovate. I really hope this isn't the way Nintendo thinks of the NSMB series.

I will say that I thought the gamepad usage in NSMBU was pretty fun and a bit innovative.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Two things:

Does it set up an ad-hoc network to cut down latency at least? The Wii U GamePad has only about 33ms, about the same as most high quality televisions.

I usually hear that the gamepad is actually faster than many TVs but really have nothing to back that up. I think it's artificially limited a bit to make up for that. One thing the gamepad has going for it is dedicated hardware to do it's thing. I think the other solutions are just using wi-fi?

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    NSMB as a series has some absolutely fantastic level designs. It's also come up with a few really neat things that other platformers never thought of like the super guide/failure block of doom and the bubble system for the multiplayer versions. Also making the star coins skill challenges while keeping the base game easy enough to complete without them.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    I usually hear that the gamepad is actually faster than many TVs but really have nothing to back that up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM_jlMy3F3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhXq8mOPzY

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I know someone brought it up a few pages back and was wrongfully scoffed at, but

If you want a new Wind Waker, a cooler Wind Waker, you should definitely check out Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. It's amazing

And given Ubisoft's past treatment of the console, I bet the Wii U version is pretty good

• Options
    I know someone brought it up a few pages back and was wrongfully scoffed at, but

If you want a new Wind Waker, a cooler Wind Waker, you should definitely check out Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. It's amazing

And given Ubisoft's past treatment of the console, I bet the Wii U version is pretty good

500px-Objection.png

Nothing's a cooler Wind Waker than Wind Waker.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Dude listen

I fucking love Wind Waker

It is easily my favorite Zelda, and might even be my favorite game of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen (the only thing in contention with it is Sands of Time)

Everything I love about Wind Waker that makes it unique from other Zelda games, Black Flag does better

No, it doesn't have dungeons or puzzle-solving

But the overworld open sea aspect of the game is done so much better. They take the cue of having every little island you find having something worth discovering on it, and naval combat is actually a high point instead of the low that it is in WW

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

This link leads to the same thread. Threadsception

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.