My cat's ears are bleeding

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
The spots in front of his ears, those little triangles of less hair, are scratched and bleeding a bit. He's not scratching constantly, in fact since I noticed it he's only scratched twice and then only gingerly. There's no flea gunk or mites that I can see and my other cat is fine.

So before he goes to the vet: any idea what this is? Could it just be dry skin? Can I put hand lotion on these spots or anti-bacterial ointment? Will that give him any relief and is it even safe to do?

Posts

  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I personally would put neosporin on it, I've put it on my brothers cat before when May got some scratches, and that seamed to help. There is a small risk of ingestion, but on the ears probably not.

    You should see a vet anyways though.

    zepherin on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I am seeing a vet, said so right up there.

    Also, I just called them (normally don't do that since they refuse to give any answers over the phone to pretty much anything; rightfully so) and they said no, don't put anything on them as cat skin is too different from people skin. They also had no idea what it could be since he's not scratching at it which is dang worrisome tho.

  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm guessing you aren't in the climate for sun burn?

    Sounds very odd to me but hopefully vet will sort it out.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Is it a white cat allowed outside or which spends a lot of time in the window? Sometimes they get skin cancer on the ears, which bleeds.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oh god no. Good thought tho. But hes an indoor cat 100% and we've had nothing but rain and fog for a week. The skin is hard there too, I've noticed. Normally I would just think he got it from playing with my other cat but it's in the same spot by both ears.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Is it a white cat allowed outside or which spends a lot of time in the window? Sometimes they get skin cancer on the ears, which bleeds.

    Nope. Oil-slick black and bleeding from the ears on Halloween.

    I'm in trouble.

  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh right. That would be demonic possession then. Just leave him in a circle of salt until you can call a Priest.

    Seriously, can you think of any kind of friction trauma he might have had recently? Like fallen down the stairs carpet burn such that his fur saved his skin where it was thick enough?

    I'm grasping at straws.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    It could be before you noticed the blood, he scratched himself too hard, or ducked under a piece of furniture with a sharp edge.

  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    It could potentially be ear mites. The symptoms seem to indicate the potential for it unless it's some sort of allergic reaction I would think. Has your cat scratched at them quite a bit more recently or have you seen the ears sort of flattened at times almost like it's angry?

    Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oh right. That would be demonic possession then. Just leave him in a circle of salt until you can call a Priest.

    Seriously, can you think of any kind of friction trauma he might have had recently? Like fallen down the stairs carpet burn such that his fur saved his skin where it was thick enough?

    I'm grasping at straws.

    No, nothing like that. Possession is more likely.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »
    It could be before you noticed the blood, he scratched himself too hard, or ducked under a piece of furniture with a sharp edge.

    No, it's the same areas in front of both ears. The chance he would have done that on both spots is really remote.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    It could potentially be ear mites. The symptoms seem to indicate the potential for it unless it's some sort of allergic reaction I would think. Has your cat scratched at them quite a bit more recently or have you seen the ears sort of flattened at times almost like it's angry?

    Like I said right in the OP, he ISN'T scratching, there's no flea gunk or mites and the other cat is fine.

  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    You kids and your damned devil music. See what it does to others? SEE?
    But really, turn your music down...

  • DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    I don't have any ideas as to what could be wrong (though I hope it's something minor), but I do know that you can use Neosporin (or a generic version) on cats as long as you make certain that it's just the plain type. Some of those types of products have a pain-relieving ingredient in them that can be very toxic for pets. Simply use it sparingly and watch to make sure they don't lick it too much, which obviously is unlikely to be a problem in this case. I have used it on my own indoor cats as well as the outdoor "neighborhood" cats when they'd get into fights without any ill effects.

    "I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

    Steam: delaney_a

  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I could still be some type of insect, them fuckers can be small and burrow through the skin.

    You should probably apply some holy water just to be on the safe side.

    Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I could still be some type of insect, them fuckers can be small and burrow through the skin.

    If it was at least the other cat would have it if not myself as well.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Delaney wrote: »
    I don't have any ideas as to what could be wrong (though I hope it's something minor), but I do know that you can use Neosporin (or a generic version) on cats as long as you make certain that it's just the plain type. Some of those types of products have a pain-relieving ingredient in them that can be very toxic for pets. Simply use it sparingly and watch to make sure they don't lick it too much, which obviously is unlikely to be a problem in this case. I have used it on my own indoor cats as well as the outdoor "neighborhood" cats when they'd get into fights without any ill effects.

    I mentioned Neosporin specifically and the vet said absolutely not.

  • DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Delaney wrote: »
    I don't have any ideas as to what could be wrong (though I hope it's something minor), but I do know that you can use Neosporin (or a generic version) on cats as long as you make certain that it's just the plain type. Some of those types of products have a pain-relieving ingredient in them that can be very toxic for pets. Simply use it sparingly and watch to make sure they don't lick it too much, which obviously is unlikely to be a problem in this case. I have used it on my own indoor cats as well as the outdoor "neighborhood" cats when they'd get into fights without any ill effects.

    I mentioned Neosporin specifically and the vet said absolutely not.

    Then certainly follow your vet of course. I definitely wasn't trying to steer you wrong, so I am sorry for giving contradictory advice. I am curious if the vet may have said that for a diagnostic reason, though, and not a safety one. The use of an antibiotic cream may make it more difficult for them to determine what's ailing your cat. I really have used Neosporin on my cats, have read articles saying it is safe, and wouldn't hesitate to dab a bit on any of them now if they were scratched. (I had to check... I have a pet first aid kit called "Me-Ow" from Creative Pet Products that includes triple antibiotic ointment, so... hrm.)

    At any rate, I do hope it turns out to be something minor and easily cured.

    Delaney on
    "I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

    Steam: delaney_a

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Turns out it was a condition with a ridiculously long name that basically amounts to a mystery allergy that hardens and breaks the skin. It can happen suddenly anywhere on a cat. So he's on Prednazone for a few weeks.

  • CogCog Registered User regular
    I just wanted to say that you're a good person for taking your cat to the vet. Too many people get pets and can't or won't take on the expenses that sometimes come along with the responsibility of pet ownership.

    Mego ThorShadowfire
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Hope Kitty gets better, MP.

    kyrcl.png
    DelaneyVirgil_Leads_You
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The skin isn't flaming red anymore and there's no more bleeding (although there's still scabs) so I'm guessing the Prednazone is working. He's not in any discomfort; if anything he's getting extra luvin' after he gets his pills.

    Plus the little blubberpot weighed in at SEVENTEEN FUCKING POUNDS. And he still sleeps on my face. Some day they're just going to find me in my bed with my skull crushed.

    Mego Thor
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    @MagicPink, just letting you know that I Awesome'd your kitty getting better; not you getting your skull crushed.

    Or did I?

    kyrcl.png
  • DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The skin isn't flaming red anymore and there's no more bleeding (although there's still scabs) so I'm guessing the Prednazone is working. He's not in any discomfort; if anything he's getting extra luvin' after he gets his pills.

    Plus the little blubberpot weighed in at SEVENTEEN FUCKING POUNDS. And he still sleeps on my face. Some day they're just going to find me in my bed with my skull crushed.

    I do not envy you having to give him pills. That's always so much fun with cats, especially when they don't like the Greenies pill pockets and can otherwise always ferret out where you've hidden the pill in food, eat *around* it, and leave the now soggy pill. Glad he's doing better!

    "I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

    Steam: delaney_a

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I've never had a problem pilling cats or clipping their nails. I guess it's my super power!

  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    Delaney wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The skin isn't flaming red anymore and there's no more bleeding (although there's still scabs) so I'm guessing the Prednazone is working. He's not in any discomfort; if anything he's getting extra luvin' after he gets his pills.

    Plus the little blubberpot weighed in at SEVENTEEN FUCKING POUNDS. And he still sleeps on my face. Some day they're just going to find me in my bed with my skull crushed.

    I do not envy you having to give him pills. That's always so much fun with cats, especially when they don't like the Greenies pill pockets and can otherwise always ferret out where you've hidden the pill in food, eat *around* it, and leave the now soggy pill. Glad he's doing better!

    For cats that don't like taking pills, there's this little pill syringe you can get that really helps. You load the pill in the end, stick it in their mouth, and then it pops out the pill in the back of their throat. Generally swallow it right down and very little worries about them spitting it back out.

Sign In or Register to comment.