As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steven Universe] 1. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY 2. SAY IT

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »
    When I first saw the commercials, I didn't think the show was going to be anything special.

Then I saw the pilot episode and I fell in love with the character designs. I hope the show does well.

The character designs seem to have changed in style quite a bit between pilot and actual show.

Apparently this was on purpose and meant to further drive home that tge gems are decidedly inhuman in comparison to Steven

That's... kind of a weird direction to go in.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think it looks perfectly well made but between Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors, Bee and Puppycat and, arguably, Regular Show I have kinda reached my fill on this subgenre of cartoons.

Because they are all made by the same people save for Regular Show. Its the same writers/storyboarders. If they aren't they are being asked to write in the style of their fellow writers.

If you think it reeks of 'internet' its because it is supposed to, its their job to make the show popular. If it isn't the writer's/boarder's intentions to make something memeful they've still probably been selected for having an aesthetic the higher ups knows will sell and that will be popular with their older demographic.

Steven Universe looks cute but I probably won't watch. I don't think anything the creative team has done is bad but I've never been particularly dazzled, at least nowhere near as many other people. Adventure Time is exactly enough and I think its an overrated, albeit good, cartoon. Sugar and Allegri could perhaps make their shows distinct enough now that they have creative reign so I'll check out both eventually, I'm just not hyped.

I'm going to be honest, I absolutely loved the pilot, but everything about the actual show I've seen in the advertising just doesn't really give me that vibe at all.

I'm hoping it's just the way they're plugging it, and the show itself is better than the impressions I'm getting.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    All the promo material so far is from the same episode and roughly two minutes of it at that.
    Presumably theyre going to have an origin story first and introduce everyone and go from there

I think the tone of the pilot was more heres an average SU episode that also showcases everyones personalities and some plot points

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    A friend of mine is a storyboard artist for this. It's great! And you're a jerk if you don't like it

l3icwZV.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    Bee and Puppycat still hasn't been funded!!!!

WHAT THE HELL, INTERNET

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    When I first saw the commercials, I didn't think the show was going to be anything special.

Then I saw the pilot episode and I fell in love with the character designs. I hope the show does well.

The character designs seem to have changed in style quite a bit between pilot and actual show.

Apparently this was on purpose and meant to further drive home that tge gems are decidedly inhuman in comparison to Steven

That's... kind of a weird direction to go in.

I'll admit that I like the original character designs moreso than the newer ones. But the newer ones aren't bad either!

Hopefully we'll get lots of character development from this show, on top of singing, fighting monsters, and eating hotdogs.

I think the tone of the pilot was more heres an average SU episode that also showcases everyones personalities and some plot points

That's what I'm hoping it ends up being in the long run.

Shabooty wrote: »
    Bee and Puppycat still hasn't been funded!!!!

WHAT THE HELL, INTERNET

Yeah I'm more interested in Bee and Puppycat than the other new stuff they've got going.

Sweet.

I liked it.

Damn Lickin lion

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

OH MY GOD WHY DID NO-ONE TELL ME TO WATCH THIS SOONER?

Oh, because that's all there is.

I see.

so Steven Universe debuted last night

the second story, "Laser Light Cannon" was pretty great

Steven has to retrieve a magical weapon from his mother's old storage unit

I liked it. The laser was so damn anime

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    That was adorable. I'm glad it's more about Steven and his family than about the Crystal Gems fighting evil forces.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    COOKIE-CAT! HE LEFT HIS FAMILY BEHIND!

• Coach_BrewCoach_Brew Registered User regular
    Well, I managed to be around for this show because my girlfriend was watching it and I gotta say, it does have appeal if you like wacky and random cartoons. I still don't believe the hype that its a feminist show because the three super powerful women get ordered around by some pudgy kid with tourettes. No idea what they were thinking there. Why not make the show about the trio instead of their pimp...I mean Steven.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Ignore him, he's brought this same attitude to every thread he's been in.

• Coach_BrewCoach_Brew Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

I don't get it. I always post on topic, I share my opinion and I add in a bit of humor. What more do you want from me? Do I need to lie about my opinions because you don't like them?

I like Steven Universe; I just wish the show focused more on the diverse, multi-ethnic cast of ladies rather than the title character. Who knows maybe they will focus more on the backrounds of Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl and if so, I look forward to it.

The show just needs to forge its on path rather than taking the well charted roads of Adventure Time and Regular Show. I hope it does because SU shows promise. Just more girls, less Steven.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I'm sure it will branch out eventually, your concerns aren't unfounded. Give it a few episodes to stretch out

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin

He's actually been pretty civil. You don't have to like him, his comic, his views or anything else about him, but as long as he's following the rules of this forum he's a member just as much as you are.

His comments about Steven being his 3 friends' pimp is clearly an attempt to bait negative reaction as was his dig at whoever is dubbing the show feminist.

But yes, the show is establishing the title character and premise. I think it's fun that the Crystal Gems are saving the world and doing their thing and Steven's story is separate from that but they still all love and support each-other. That's what this show is actually about, it's just using the established themes of magical girl shows as backdrop.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    it was a bit exaggerated but i think your taking it harder than what was intended

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

He's actually been pretty civil. You don't have to like him, his comic, his views or anything else about him, but as long as he's following the rules of this forum he's a member just as much as you are.

Fair enough, my apologies.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to have to give this a shot but my expectations are super low.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I love Steven's dad.

YL9WnCY.png
    Steven's dad makes me sad.
    The way he tears up when he sees Ruby's image in the laser light cannon blast...

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    TankHammer wrote: »
    His comments about Steven being his 3 friends' pimp is clearly an attempt to bait negative reaction as was his dig at whoever is dubbing the show feminist.

Yeah well we have a pretty decently sized staff here to determine who's baiting and who isn't so why don't you let us handle that.

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    I liked the episode, but I wasn't in love with it. The biggest problem I have with the show, and others like it, are the 15 minute formats. 30 minutes sometimes feels too short for a complete story. 15 minutes feels rushed. Both stories were good, but I just wish we had more time to focus on each one.

[
    I liked the episode, but I wasn't in love with it. The biggest problem I have with the show, and others like it, are the 15 minute formats. 30 minutes sometimes feels too short for a complete story. 15 minutes feels rushed. Both stories were good, but I just wish we had more time to focus on each one.

Thats a new standard for cn. It allows a quicker production cycle and a higher episode count for dvd.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Yeah well we have a pretty decently sized staff

Wheres that smiley with the risque raising eyebrows

Bucketman wrote: »

:winky: ?

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

they're name is winky, sir

• SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Second episode was super good, I liked it way more than the first (although the "He left his family behind" bit killed me).

The interactions with Stephen's dad sold the second one for me. I think I'll like this show.

• Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    I was incredibly worried after the first episode, but the second one turned me around some.

Is anybody else noticing the over-emphasis on Steven loving shitty food, though?

Like, ice cream in E1; yes, ce cream specifically doesn't give him power, but the happiness gained from eating ice cream clearly does... and now the fry bits in E2.

Dunno. I'm not digging that angle.

In the pilot be was tempted by getting his three donuts connected by a hot dog.

Steven (and Amethyst) like junky food!

• FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    I was incredibly worried after the first episode, but the second one turned me around some.

Is anybody else noticing the over-emphasis on Steven loving shitty food, though?

Like, ice cream in E1; yes, ce cream specifically doesn't give him power, but the happiness gained from eating ice cream clearly does... and now the fry bits in E2.

Dunno. I'm not digging that angle.

I haven't seen the second episode/part yet, but he's a pudgy kid because he overeats. I dunno if they're gonna turn that into a character development thing or if it's just for whatever. I don't know what angle you mean, though.

This discussion has been closed.