As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Thursday, September 1, 2011 - Extra Credits Season 3, Ep. 4: Game Addiction pt.1

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Thursday, September 1, 2011 - Extra Credits Season 3, Ep. 4: Game Addiction pt.1

This week, we begin a two-part series on the much-debated topic of "Game Addiction."

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    hokieneerhokieneer Registered User new member
    I have enjoyed this series so far, and esp this video. You are right about the bonding experience games can create between parent/child. I can still remember playing the old atari 7800 with my mom and dad. I also remember playing quite a few board games with them The newer family oriented games can easily replace the old Life and Monopoly and give a more interactive, and enjoyable experience for the entire family.

• Options
    fatguy925fatguy925 Registered User new member
    I am a fan of this series, but once moved from escapist, i found it hard to keep track of when is what, a date and time would be lovely o have, and the videos are always exceptionally
    enjoyable to watch
    OT:Game being addicted is officially an addiction likegambling and shopping, where it is an inducedeuphoria where it can change a mental stae of people (the nerdrage!) but it comes with underlining conditions, and some behaviors that need changed too. I have read stories of them.

• Options
    VonrielVonriel Registered User new member
    To start with, a link: http://www.cracked.com/article_18819_the-4-most-important-things-to-know-as-gamer-parent_p2.html

I know, it's a cracked article, but it makes some very good points, and touches on the subject of being the parent of a video game player. It's one I stumbled on a while back, and that particular author tends to actually get me to think about things, rather than just mindlessly enjoy the entertainment they bring.

It is interesting to think that, right now, the news media is alienating its future viewers. I suppose we're just supposed to ignore what they're doing right now, or possibly go the route you mentioned a few videos back. Ban the next thing to come along that's "evil" just to make our children suffer the way we did.

• Options
    kingcethkingceth Registered User regular
    My mom has played 2 of the Zelda's, every LEGO Harry Potter and Star Wars, World of Warcraft, 100% beat Animal Crossing on each respective console, and is massively into Minecraft now with my Dad. Oh and she sucks, but CoD. All of the newer ones.

People are always really shocked when they hear either of my parents play video games, especially my mom, but it's actually pretty common. They might not be hardcore gamers, and are not part of the heavy duty circles many of us are in, but they are there, and I feel as though they are a market that is too often ignored.

• Options
    lordhobanlordhoban Registered User regular
    Actually, no... games are not a compulsion. Maybe in certain cases, but from the definitions I've gone through, they point out compulsion as being driven to perform actions and (this is key why I feel you completely got this wrong) do so against his or her own will. Now, there may be some aspects of that with going another level or just playing a bit longer (especially exploited in mmorpgs), but the primary driving force of playing is in my experience, of our own will, not against it.

Addiction is a dependance on a behavior or substance. Or, the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming.

That is gaming in a nutshell for too many people. I know, for myself, I try to restrict myself on game playing, because I will get wrapped up into it and want to play it until completion (I want to see it through to the finish. This is not something against my will). It's a drug with effects that last 30-40 hours of gameplay and the high is the experience.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but like anything that is addictive, even if it is otherwise harmless, people need to relegate themselves based on how much they get drawn in, lest they find themselves with no life. That's what I try to do and for the most part, I'm successful. I go into my gaming session for awhile and then I stop for awhile.

Addiction is not inherently bad nor harmful. That's the knee jerk reaction people have, because of the association with addiction to harmful substances. I know a few people who are very much addicted to a good book. They start a book and find themselves whittling away their time until they finish it, completely drawn in. They need to see where it goes, they become dependent on it. And they'll seek out the next 'high', another good book, the next chance they get.

The good news is that these kinds of addictions have no real physical effects, so if you stop them for awhile, you won't suffer from things like withdrawel. But they can be every bit as addictive as anything else.

• Options
    ZombieAladdinZombieAladdin Registered User regular
    I see so much irresponsible parenting around where I live. Of course, much of the time, I see babysitters being toy stores, department stores, public libraries, and malls, but...that's a different issue.

Sitting down with the kids to talk about video games sounds easy and intuitive, but there are just so many parents out there who are either totally disinterested in communicating with their kids or are actually afraid to, especially when they hit their teenage years, as the kids become so aloof and disdainful of their parents. There are also a lot of parents around here who seem to be terrified that their kids can have any negative emotions at all and will spoil them silly. These parents seem to be apprehensive about offending their kids, so they just buy everything the kid wants as long as they're left alone.

• Options
    CecilyBugCecilyBug Registered User new member
    One of my friends' favorite childhood memories is finishing the original Zelda with the help of his mom - she kept a notebook and made quick sketches of every square of the map, and helped him navigate through the game. I've heard -both- of them talk happily about the accomplishment of my friend finally beating it. This is, in my opinion, a great example of that topic of being an involved parent of a gaming child.

• Options
    PiggiePiggie Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD THIS ART IS SO ADORABLE

• Options
    TherandusTherandus Registered User new member
    Yeah... You kind of messed up the definition of addiction there... There are physical addictions and there are behavioral addictions.

Not only that but gaming has been shown to alter brain chemistry. Claiming that it doesn't is just ludicrous. Even a simple google search shows a study where in fact it did alter brain chemistry.

• Options
    KingStarscrea,KingStarscrea, Registered User new member
    @Terandus: I don't count NBC News and LiveScience as legitimate sources of scientific inquiry. They're sensationalist news media outlets trying to get readers.