As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Unless you're talking specifically about the ability to soak huge, one-off hits without dying then Warlocks have MUCH better survivability. All that extra health and a neat buffer shield that scales with the damage you are doing goes a long way to making you less squishy.

Mages are better at avoiding huge one-hit popacooldownordie mechanics, since we have 2 (potentially 3) different spells to do it as opposed to just one.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'd like playing my mage more if it had a baseline heal and/or shield. I talent for the frost one, because it's pretty decent and has low cool down, but even an evocation heal that healed for 10% if you complete it would be pretty nice.

On happy news, I finally got my first rare gulp frog kill and got the gulp frog pet the first time. Had some good luck getting some pets today.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Glyph of Evocation gives it a nice heal; and Rune of Power gives you a HoT while you're standing in it (and you should be), alternately Incanter's Ward is nice for soloing and stuff you know you're gonna be taking damage for because it gives you that shield and keeps your mana topped off and gives you the buff when the bubble pops.

Between those, frost shield, blinking, snares, etc; I don't feel flimsy at all as a mage. The opposite actually.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Invisible wrote: »
    I'd like playing my mage more if it had a baseline heal and/or shield. I talent for the frost one, because it's pretty decent and has low cool down, but even an evocation heal that healed for 10% if you complete it would be pretty nice.

On happy news, I finally got my first rare gulp frog kill and got the gulp frog pet the first time. Had some good luck getting some pets today.

Like TDWH said, there's a glyph that adds a heal to Evocation. If you run Invocate, it literally does exactly what you said.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Wow, what a turnaround of luck. Bonus rolled a Heroic Warforged Multistrike trinket off of Heroic Dark Shaman tonight. Super happy about that, replacing my 530 Bad Juju with a 580 Haromm's Talisman is huge.

Christ, I just realized that's a 50 ilvl difference. Unreal. WTB Item Squish soon plz.

Edit: Wasn't able to get any REAL testing with it, but the Multistrike component was about 5% of my damage when I was fighting Chi-Ji in my Windwalker offspec. Not bad at all. The proc itself is amazing too, it's like 15k Agi. Can't wait to test it as Brewmaster.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Things that annoy me: not standing in the thing you're supposed to (ie- Malkorok's puddles) because you didn't "see it" because it was "behind" you. Two questions pop into my head when I hear this: Are you playing in 1st person? If so, stop playing this game. If you aren't playing in 1st person, are you blind? In Malkorok's particular case you can zoom out 2 feet behind your character and see the entire battlefield.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Tunnel vision. I know it definitely happens to me when I'm playing a class I'm not used to so I have to keep looking at my bars to see when stuff comes off cooldown. CLCRet spoiled me in that regard.

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Stonemaul-US just got merged with 4 other realms and holy crap, there's more than 20 people in Stormwind at 1 in the morning! This not deserted realm thing is going to take some getting used to.
    So apparently the banners for WoW popping up at blizzcon (and according to mmo-champ in your bnet account) are Thrall in Doomhammers armor.

So either he's putting that shit back on (yes please) or this really might be some silly alternate reality/time travel xpack as rumored. Which I'm not a fan of. At all.

EDIT: looking closer, actually, I think that's the same thrall image that was a wow wallpaper ages ago before he became jesus shaman thrall.

EDITx2: this one
    battlecry_std_1024x768.jpg

So nevermind. :rotate:
    I like how most of those are the same as in the EK/Kali loading screens.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Like I said I cannot wait for Windrunner to get whatever merged with as Org will no longer the ghost town
    I may even bother going back to Org

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    If we go back ot Outland they could just stick in more land and add some silly flying skill to get to it and around it to prevent lower classes from getting to it by accident or design
    They can stick in more land below or above or off to the side it's not that hard

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Definitely wasn't prepared for the massive inflation.

On the bright side, between my panda rest and enlightenment leveling is kinda ridiculous right now.

I'm just spending time between dungeons killing animals trying to keep my LW up.

• MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    So I hit 58 on my Hunter yesterday. Leveled the priest, but I really don't like shadow currently, and have no desire to heal right now. Don't want to level my pally or druid for the same reasons (don't want to tank/heal) so I started a hunter from scratch. Enjoying it so far, but I'll be happier once I get misdirection. Don't want to move on to outland until I have flying at 70, so I'm finishing up running a dungeon or two and knocking out the last of Silithus.

I did just find out that I could upgrade heirlooms so that they work through lvl 85. I'm a bit slow. Would have made leveling the priest easier...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Voluntarily sat last night on our first night of H Immersius attempts.

Man, listening to mumble they weren't able to get past the first submerge, kinda glad I missed it.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Things that annoy me: not standing in the thing you're supposed to (ie- Malkorok's puddles) because you didn't "see it" because it was "behind" you. Two questions pop into my head when I hear this: Are you playing in 1st person? If so, stop playing this game. If you aren't playing in 1st person, are you blind? In Malkorok's particular case you can zoom out 2 feet behind your character and see the entire battlefield.

I'm still trying to figure out how we managed to 1-shot everything including Dark Shaman; then proceed to take 4 attempts on Nazgrim. Did everyone blow their wad of focus on Shamans?

Also, I don't care how "not that bad" later fights are if we can't get through apparent roadblocks to our raid like Spoils and Thok (normal). We should have been working on Heroic modes for at least two weeks now.

• AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Man, listening to mumble they weren't able to get past the first submerge, kinda glad I missed it.

Yep this was my night as well.

Worst of all the other tank and I get yelled at because we can't follow the raid leader's initial strategy and when I try to devise an alternate it just gets refuted with "Your just trying to make it easier for yourself!" I kind of felt like the employee who's always on time and gets reprimanded extra hard the one time he's late.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    we farmed all the way to malkorak entirely without trouble last night, which was nice

then of course we wiped 15 useless times on it before calling it a night

god I hate that fight

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out how we managed to 1-shot everything including Dark Shaman; then proceed to take 4 attempts on Nazgrim. Did everyone blow their wad of focus on Shamans?

Nazgrim was really weird. I mean, lots of people (of which I'm defining 'lots' as 'more than zero') were getting hit by his ground stomp flames, causing us to get blades. But hearing our tank talk about Berseker->Defensive, it sounded like the tank swaps were going far too late, causing his rage bar to fill up far too much and spawn Blades.

This kind of fits with what Dizzle was telling me in PMs regarding the adds beating on him far more than usual, so it could have been tank management issues. Which is weird since this is like the first week that I haven't had to manage tanking adds for a few seconds on that fight, so from my perspective everything was going really smooth...and then we'd all die.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Yay, got tier chest last night. Good thing for bosses where I can set my loot spec such that the only possible drop is a tier piece. One more tier piece (helm or shoulders) and I can use my Garrosh wildcard token!

@Aegis: clearly, we need a video.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So, last night I discovered that Part 1 Siege of Ogrimmar LFR is largely single tankable. Other tank was a paper DK who would get killed in 2-3 hits by most raid bosses. Norushen might cause issues if the tank gets sent to the test realm, but luckily one of the DK dps had swapped to tank spec as backup after the other DK tank died 3 times on Immerseus from regular melee hits.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Thank god for the LFR nerfs. It's no longer a horrible slog to endure through, now some of the fights are actually pretty fun.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    reVerse wrote: »
    Thank god for the LFR nerfs. It's no longer a horrible slog to endure through, now some of the fights are actually pretty fun.

I healed it post nerf last night, wing one through three...I, literally, threw on hots and put down a totem and all tabbed. A lot. Yeah, no one ever died.

You have a weird definition of fun.

Crayon on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    In LFR, 'fun' is more often defined by not dealing with wipes caused by 24 people not following directions or gross underperformance. In Normal (and I would assume Heroic), fun is defined differently. If I can get through an entire wing of LFR without dealing with the usual wipe/bail/repop dance, that's a success.

My DK just hit i496 and I know how to use Death Strike. Maybe I'll give Wings 1-2 a shot as tank(?)

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Heroic Immersius is a weird fight. We got him last week and probably only had 5-6 attempts after we got through p1 transition clean. Took 20+ to get to that point however. The fight gets far easier as you progress, which is really backwards to most encounters.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I guess my fun derives from the challenge, and being heals in old lfr was a bit of a challenge. Now...people can literally ignore every mechanic, stand in shaman aoe, run through the wall, anything and still survive. I'm pretty sure that last night not one single mechanic was followed in any of my lfrs and we were fine.

I don't expect a puzzle with no box here, but it could at least encourage me to pay attention.

Knight_ wrote: »

Heroic Immersius is a weird fight. We got him last week and probably only had 5-6 attempts after we got through p1 transition clean. Took 20+ to get to that point however. The fight gets far easier as you progress, which is really backwards to most encounters.

Not only that, but the fight is hilariously stupid easy if you get a swirl that hits nobody and actually kinda hard if you get a swirl that hits everybody.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My DK just hit i496 and I know how to use Death Strike. Maybe I'll give Wings 1-2 a shot as tank(?)

Don't forget the tank swap time.

edited November 2013
    Crayon wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

I healed it post nerf last night, wing one through three...I, literally, threw on hots and put down a totem and all tabbed. A lot. Yeah, no one ever died.

You have a weird definition of fun.
    And I healed the first wing last night and was having to heal my ass off with squishy tanks and crappy healers; I was literally doing 25-30% of a 25-man raid's healing on everything after Immerseus (and it's not like I'm rocking great gear; my healing set is something like 510-515 ilvl). If I had just been half-assing it, we would have wiped at least once on each fight until either determination made up for the collective shittiness or the others got their ass in gear.

Maybe instead of talking down to people, you could spend your time being thankful that your anecdotal LFR experience hasn't left you with raids that take 2+ hours for you to be rewarded with 90 VPs.

forty on
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    No offense @Crayon, but I assume from your posts you're largely doing LFR on off nights to cap valor or something? I really don't know why you're in LFR, the way you look at challenges ;P The 'real' challenge of LFR is getting through a wing without a wipe--or failing that, trying to finish a wing in less time than it takes a dps to queue for it :D

I like a good challenge too, don't get me wrong. I tend to look at LFR as how can I do the best dps I can to make up for those who don't know what they're doing and don't care (1), for those who know what they're doing but have shitty gear (2), or those who view LFR as a joke, but still show up and dick around with people (my most hated 3). LFR really attracts all the worst, which makes the good groups just feel all the most satisfying and miraculous. But this, I think, is why you can't make the content the biggest challenge 'hurdle' for the LFR progression. You've already got shitty people to give everyone headaches. Flex can be for the challenging non-hardcore raider content. LFR is the catch-all, and it needs all the fucking help it can get.

Edit: I mean this all to be lighthearted teasing btw. Just for a second you reminded me a little of those jerky healers complaining about how easy LFR is that badger the tank into pulling too much or too soon and wipe the raid (or pull themselves, and bitch at the raid for not having enough skill to save their dumbasses). I know this isn't you, just thinking of these clowns makes me mad tho lol.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
    edited November 2013
    Oh no, if you've seen previous posts, I've had a rather rare lfr experience since coming back. It's been good. Just about every lfr I've been in went off without a hitch.

And I'm insanely helpful in lfr. I've always explained things, told everyone to just have fun, etc etc.

My newest post comes from the anecdotal experience of feeling it didn't need to be nerfed further.

Crayon on
    My newest post comes from the anecdotal experience of feeling it didn't need to be nerfed further.
    It's safe to assume that Blizzard has all sorts of non-anecdotal data (# of 2+-hour clears; amount of deaths to various bosses, mechanics, trash mobs; determination stacks and /leaveraid rates; etc.) telling them that it did need it.

• PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I have been watching your posts, and am insanely jealous. I mean, it's like you're getting the creme de la creme my friend. Have you even been in an LFR since coming back that had anyone drop midway just because they'd done the next couple bosses? let alone had a tank drop after a fight (or during, just after calling everyone names?)?? Have you not had dps stay the entire LFR two-hour marathon of wing 2, calling the tanks all number of insults, despite multiple wipes and re-queues? Good people dropping raid for the very legitimate reason of coming halfway into the same wing previously is bad enough--you're almost guaranteed to get someone worse to replace them. Furthermore, bad people leaving doesn't necessarily mean a better or status quo replacement either.

On a side note, I don't think it needed to be nerfed either. But nerfing is certainly a welcome addition as the majority--I think--of LFR experiences can use one less challenge towards an overall pleasant gaming experience. As has been stated, LFR is a lowest common denominator kind of thing. With the current pool of LFR applicants, I'm not sure the bar can be set low enough.

One final aside--I wouldn't mind increased difficulty if LFR queues and repair costs weren't so bad. Make it a little more like PVP in both regards and I might not feel like I'm being severely punished all the time for others' sins. o.0

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I've been learning more about these world first guilds and one thing they do which is FUCKING INSANE is maintaining many geared alts. After 2-3 weeks after heroic raids are released they finish the content and it becomes farmed content. Oh but it's not over you see next raid maybe stacking eight druids on boss seven will make the encounter much easier so we're gonna need to do five heroic runs a week to have four fully decked out alts in heroic warforged gear just incase. The fuck? No way I'd wanna deal with that shit no way in hell.

Of course right now they're not doing multiple runs in heroic raids because of the gear reset next expansion. Also I don't think I could be good at 5 different classes at one time.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I find as someone who has some normal mode raid gear and drops from the celestials + Ordos, it is best to treat LFR as a training exercise. It will give you an approximate idea of how the fight will work, though with most damage mechanics lowered so you can get through the fight despite failing the mechanics. It also provides lots of room to experiment and see what you can do when everything goes wrong. Basically, a crash course in crisis management. The other thing it is good at, is allowing someone who might do some raid leading to figure out a way to explain what people need to do in a fight in as little words as possible. Treat them as a Proving Grounds for raiding and they aren't too bad. The side effect of this, though, is like Proving Grounds, you probably won't want to run LFR weekly unless there is some other carrot pulling you in. In previous tiers it was the legendary quest. This tier, if you have your cloak already there isn't much to them that will make you want to re-run them.

forty wrote: »
    It's safe to assume that Blizzard has all sorts of non-anecdotal data (# of 2+-hour clears; amount of deaths to various bosses, mechanics, trash mobs; determination stacks and /leaveraid rates; etc.) telling them that it did need it.

It's like you responded to my anecdotal statement as if you don't know what anecdotal means. That's why I used the word anecdotal, and specifically said my personal experience, but hey-good to know! Thanks.

Papagander wrote: »
    I have been watching your posts, and am insanely jealous. I mean, it's like you're getting the creme de la creme my friend. Have you even been in an LFR since coming back that had anyone drop midway just because they'd done the next couple bosses? let alone had a tank drop after a fight (or during, just after calling everyone names?)?? Have you not had dps stay the entire LFR two-hour marathon of wing 2, calling the tanks all number of insults, despite multiple wipes and re-queues? Good people dropping raid for the very legitimate reason of coming halfway into the same wing previously is bad enough--you're almost guaranteed to get someone worse to replace them. Furthermore, bad people leaving doesn't necessarily mean a better or status quo replacement either.

On a side note, I don't think it needed to be nerfed either. But nerfing is certainly a welcome addition as the majority--I think--of LFR experiences can use one less challenge towards an overall pleasant gaming experience. As has been stated, LFR is a lowest common denominator kind of thing. With the current pool of LFR applicants, I'm not sure the bar can be set low enough.

One final aside--I wouldn't mind increased difficulty if LFR queues and repair costs weren't so bad. Make it a little more like PVP in both regards and I might not feel like I'm being severely punished all the time for others' sins. o.0

Oh, for sure-there's people always coming and going after they down a boss that they needed, but I guess because of my server any role is replaced almost immediately. I guess as a healer I don't see the long queues, and I surely feel sorry for anyone that has to go through them. To be honest, I've experienced almost no name calling/L2Play NOOB/etc at all in LFR. However, where I have experienced it on both my healer and tank is in flex being filled by Oqueue. I've seen some horrid things being said to other players in there. I tend to just be quiet, explain the fights, say try to have a good time and that we'll make it through.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Alrighty y'all, I need some help --

I've been away from WoW for a while. (About 5 months). I had previously been playing an Alliance Druid, and he's pretty decently geared with LFR gear. There's a long story about why I had been playing him, which isn't really relevant here. Needless to say, my main characters are all Horde, and I've got the most nostalgic connection with my Horde characters.

I've got an Orc Rogue, who is level 71. He's a Miner/Engineer, and he's currently wearing a healthy mix of T4/T5 gear from Kara/SSC/TK. He was my raid character during the height of Burning Crusade. I retired him when Lich King released in favor of switching to a DK.

I'm thinking of taking my rogue out of retirement and playing him for a while, getting him up to 90, and perhaps maining him during the unannounced expansion.

That brings me to why I need your help:

I don't know how to rogue anymore. I haven't played a rogue since I retired my Orc at the end of BC, and things have changed so dramatically since then that I really don't know anything about the class anymore. I'm looking for some very basic, almost newbie level advice on how to start playing this character again.

When I retired him, he was Combat spec, because that was the top raid spec in BC. Here's an armory link:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/earthen-ring/Kragos/simple

Anyway, what is the best leveling spec these days? I'm planning on taking him to 90 and will most likely be doing each dungeon exactly one time, and the rest of my XP will come from questing.

And after I hit 90, what is the best dungeon spec to begin gearing up in heroics? And finally, after I get into some heroic gear, what is the best spec to begin farming LFR with?

If there's any other relevant or noteworthy information, please feel free to share. Even though I have a TON of experience on this character, it is all very old experience and the game has changed a lot since then. At this point I feel almost like a new character with my complete lack of knowledge of how to play this guy.

Lucascraft on
    forty wrote: »

It's like you responded to my anecdotal statement as if you don't know what anecdotal means. That's why I used the word anecdotal, and specifically said my personal experience, but hey-good to know! Thanks.
    I know full well what it means. I am posting to let you know that you are being a huge goose in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.