As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    ohhhh

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Though most of that staff is freelance.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    He's saying per month, not per year, Centi
    ITT Centi is a secret Republican. ;)

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    "This feels like the comic I was born to make," says Scioli. "We're asking big questions. Is war an inevitable condition of life? What is free will? What is the future of man and machine as the line between them becomes increasingly blurred? The G.I. JOE team is trained to deal with dangerous situations and this is the ultimate test of their training. The TRANSFORMERS characters push the boundaries of what shapes life can take in this infinite universe of ours. Perhaps it will be a machine that teaches us what it is to be human."
    it's an ongoing coming out next summer
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48422

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Greg Pak is writing Turok (!!) for Dynamite: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48415

• Options
    Dynamite?!?

That'd have made a great addition to Valiant but that license is oooollllllldddddd. So I guess it's Dynamite's now.

• Options
    Speaking of Dynamite, anyone know where to find their long-term solicitations? I want to see if they're going to put out volume 2 of their Dreadstar Omnibus.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    It's so weird (and maybe a little worrying?) to see so many guys who were Marvel or DC-exclusive for so long, branching out into areas that once existed for up-and-comers to get their foot in the door.

I mean, you've got Mark Waid writing Archie comics, Jeff Parker and Greg Pak at Dynamite, Fred Van Lente writing a superhero/spy book at Dark Horse, Paul Jenkins and Mike Carey at BOOM, a host of talented men and women at Valiant, and more and more "name" creators filling out Image's roster of books.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great thing as a reader, but it does make me wonder if the time of creator-exclusives are pretty much over, and if work is so sparse at DC and Marvel, that these creators have all had to fan out to different areas of the comics publishing world, to make a living.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    1381592198.jpg
    CBR.com wrote:
    Today, at New York Comic Con 2013, Valiant announced a new series set in the world of the original "Quantum and Woody" and written by the pair's creators. Launching in 2014, "Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody" is a five-issue miniseries that takes place in real time, nearly twenty years after the ending of the original Acclaim series. The story picks up well after Quantum and Woody have managed to separate themselves from their wristbands and each other, but a significant event brings them back together. The title shares no ties to the current Valiant ongoing by Asmus and Ming Doyle.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    "This feels like the comic I was born to make," says Scioli. "We're asking big questions. Is war an inevitable condition of life? What is free will? What is the future of man and machine as the line between them becomes increasingly blurred? The G.I. JOE team is trained to deal with dangerous situations and this is the ultimate test of their training. The TRANSFORMERS characters push the boundaries of what shapes life can take in this infinite universe of ours. Perhaps it will be a machine that teaches us what it is to be human."
    it's an ongoing coming out next summer
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48422
    In a tweet, Tom Scioli adds to this by saying "This Transformers vs. Joe script is the closest I've come to attempting the scope of what Kirby was aiming at with New Gods."

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Okay, because I'm a huge nerd and because Gaiman v. McFarlane was in my reading for IP Law, I ended up making a list of all of the law review titles citing the case with puns in their titles. http://crimsondude.tumblr.com/private/63516582512/tumblr_mudnoe1A451qzzvpa

Oh, special note for CATWOMAN OR THE KINGPIN: POTENTIAL REASONS COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS DO NOT ENFORCE THEIR COPYRIGHTS AGAINST COMIC BOOK INFRINGERS. 33 Colum. J.L. & Arts 267 (2010). First of all, I learned that comics publishing accounted for only 14% of Marvel's gross profits in 2008, and their total gross profits in 2008 were $482,300,000 (almost entirely from licensing). It turns out that Iron Man didn't make Marvel a lot of money; it made them A SHITLOAD OF MONEY. But that article goes on the basically argue that Marvel and DC don't care because they are IP farms that just happen to publish comics. It also discusses Peter David's spat with S_D, which is fascinating to read from the POV of a disinterested party.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    CBR.com wrote:
    Today, at New York Comic Con 2013, Valiant announced a new series set in the world of the original "Quantum and Woody" and written by the pair's creators. Launching in 2014, "Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody" is a five-issue miniseries that takes place in real time, nearly twenty years after the ending of the original Acclaim series. The story picks up well after Quantum and Woody have managed to separate themselves from their wristbands and each other, but a significant event brings them back together. The title shares no ties to the current Valiant ongoing by Asmus and Ming Doyle.

Man, if it was this easy to get Priest back to writing comics, why didn't anyone do it sooner?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Oh shit I didn't realize A Wolf Among Us is coming out for the PS3 on Tuesday. I did a youtube search for the game and PewDiePie is doing gameplay vids on it already for the PC.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    PewDiePie is a horrible human being.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Who? And why is this not in the grievance thread?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I assume it's referring to something he did in his LP of the Fables game.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    He's a terrible rapejoke making overacting LPer with a million stupid fans. That's really neither here nor there but now you know why the reaction.

• Options
    Okay. Thanks for the clarification (I think).

• Options
    Furu wrote: »
    He's a terrible rapejoke making overacting LPer with a million stupid fans. That's really neither here nor there but now you know why the reaction.

Yeah he uses too many rape "jokes" on occasion but otherwise he's harmless. The guy was instrumental in the early success of Amnesia.

• Options
    he normallizes rape jokes thanks to his popularity but this isnt the venue for an LPer discussion

• Options
    Yes. This is definitely not the place.

• Options
    DC Entertainment is moving to beautiful downtown Burbank, California.

Tom Spurgeon retweeted some interesting speculation that jibes with everything I know about copyright law that they've decided that they want to be in the safest possible federal district and circuit possible--and that would be the Central District of California and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Huh, why is the Ninth Circuit so safe?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    They are very restrictive in their interpretations of copyright ownership, shared or other joint authorship, and basically makes it the toughest place to bring a claim against the existing copyright of, say, Superman. Yet at the same time the standard for creating a copyrightable character, especially in a visual medium (including comics) is easier here so long as they exhibit "consistent, widely identifiable traits." Rice v. Fox Broad. Co., 330 F.3d 1170, 1175 (9th Cir. 2003).

They also have the broadest definition of derivative work so that if your work infringes on an existing copyright in the slightest bit, well ...

http://youtu.be/M5QGkOGZubQ

In other circuits, including the Second (which includes New York), there is at least a chance to salvage protection of your original content under the standard copyrightability analysis. Here on the west coast, you're SOL. Not only do you get nothing, but they can apparently then take your idea without compensation or credit. The best part of this whole deal is that it arises out of a dispute over whether Sylvester Stallone infringed on a guy's treatment for what became Rocky IV. Goddamn commies strike again!

This is why comics creators won't listen to your pitches for existing properties. In theory if I made a face to face pitch to, say, Chris Roberson about Edison Rex now at least everything is contained to one jurisdiction and I'm clearly on notice to this fact (Plus Dennis Culver is in California) and he's 99% safe. But if it crosses lines or God forbid you do it online it's like handing them a bomb. This is why I can't pitch Captain Marvel ideas at KSD when I see her in-person and try not to even discuss her in detail. :(

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    just for the record, WB and the DC offices aren't in the downtown area of Burbank at all

• Options
    That was a joke, but fair enough.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Fables is finally ending with issue #150: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48879

• Options
    Huh, kinda crazy it's ending what with the video game series just coming out. Go go artistic integrity, I guess.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That's surprising, but I understand. And when you factor in Jack of Fables and Fairest and the Cindy minis, there's going to be over 250 issues. Not to mention the prose book, the OGNs, the game.

And I know this is probably not a popular opinion but I think Fables is way better than Sandman and Hellblazer and replaced them as the definitive Vertigo book.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I think it's fair to say the series lost a lot of it's steam after issue 75 but I still enjoyed it. Fairest was good as well but I still need to read volume 2. Pretty sure the only other Fables stuff I haven't checked out yet is the more recent works like the Bigby Wolf OGN which I read was pretty bad and unnecessary along with the encyclopedia and online game. Isn't there another OGN coming out this month?

Oh yeah I never read the Great Fables Crossover either due to poor reviews.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    The last Fables I read besides the novel was ... I think it was that crossover. :(

I do want the encyclopedia though. If for no other reason than that Jess Nevins wrote it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I've liked it throughout, because when you look at the past decade of stories there's been so much change, and the book moves at such a nice pace that I think it's almost a shock to people. Like they expect the Mr. Dark story to go on twenty more issues because every other comic has this decompressed story and boom, Willingham wraps it up in a logical way that just blindsides you.

• Options
    so according to a podcast interview with James Roberts, author of More Than Meets the Eye and other IDW TF comics, before he got brought on board he used to work in the UK welfare system. It's why his works are typically very politically minded.

That is suuuuuuuuuuper great.

• Options
    holy shit
    i had to google that, because bleeding cool

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    holy shit
    i had to google that, because bleeding cool

It's right on Marvel's front page, so it's as legit as it gets. :)

• Options
    On this thread, BC must be independently verified.

• Options
    the only site i trust less than bleeding cool when it comes to comics/comics related movie news is latino review.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    When I start the new thread I need to remember to add Comics Alliance back.

Actually, @The Geebs That Got Bigtimed, does this need to hit 100 or can we just shut this down and restart it sooner?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Um...wow. So Brian Wood is being called out as a pretty scummy dude: http://comicsbeat.com/comics-have-hit-puberty-and-its-not-pretty/

This discussion has been closed.