As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tony, Thor, Steve. Armors, Hammers, and Shield and etcSUPERHEROES

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i am not as impressed with this episode of SHIELD as I was hoping

way you guys were talking i thought it'd be a great episode

it is honestly super dumb
    people saying how they feel in lieu of acting! annoying characters still annoying! last minute save of simmons who legit cannot stand!
    coulson remains the only part of the show i somewhat even enjoy, and after the thor ep i'm checking out

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I haven't watched any of SHIELD but I can say that this is the only corner of the internet I've seen that isn't mostly full of people who hate it

they adore it over in D+D

think Fitz/Simmons are great characters and if you don't like them you're hitler

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I liked Fitz/Simmons just fine in the first two eps

They were shallow comic relief, which is all I needed them to be

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I don't think any of the SHIELD characters are that annoying. But I'm not really enthralled by the show either.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I really like agent coulson but that's less because of the character and more because of clark gregg, who I've adored since Iron Man (and the West Wing, for that matter)

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i would say the show is a pretty base line tv show. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

I watched elementary today, and i'm fairly sure that show only exists because Sherlock Holmes is big again and Lucy Liu is attractive.

Because that show is terrible.

Melding wrote: »
    i would say the show is a pretty base line tv show. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

I watched elementary today, and i'm fairly sure that show only exists because Sherlock Holmes is big again and Lucy Liu is attractive.

Bad opinions are bad.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't find Lucy Liu to be very attractive either.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I liked the most recent Shield ep, but I'm still here-and-there on it. If the Thor ep is good enough I'll stick around for a little bit longer, otherwise I might just end up forgetting its even on. I just hope the show continues to find its footing.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I watched a couple of eps of Elementary and I would say outside of the Sherlock Holmes shtick its your basic procedural. Except it puts a greater focus on the characters instead of the crime of the week.

Lucy Liu is a very pretty lady

Also I've heard good things about Elementary?

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

you are way out of line, sir

Elementary is far from perfect but it's better than it had any right to be.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was really impressed by how well theyhandled character development inThor 2:
    Thor has finally worked all of the brash young Viking out of his system (there was some left in Avengers, see: when he fights Tony), Jane has become more confident and prepared and Selvig has gone from a straight laced skeptic to a blissfully mind controlled drone to a loopy genius who has been changed by the shit he has gone through.

CYpGAPn.png
    Really curious to see how well Thor 2 does at the box office

Everything I've heard about it has me convinced I'll enjoy it

wirehead26 wrote: »

I will admit from what i have seen it is a lot better then the pitch i was given.

That said i still don't think it's very good.

But this is a world where CIS has been on the air longer than i can remember, so what do i know about good TV?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It already made 109 million overseas so unless it bombs astoundingly bad over here it is a success

CYpGAPn.png

I will admit from what i have seen it is a lot better then the pitch i was given.

But this is a world where CIS has been on the air longer than i can remember, so what do i know about good TV?

Die CSI Scum

Blankzilla wrote: »
    It already made 109 million overseas so unless it bombs astoundingly bad over here it is a success

I just meant overall, and in comparison to other franchises in the MCU

And how up it is from the original Thor

I'm sure it will be a success, but just how much of one

Antimatter wrote: »

Die CSI Scum

i had originally typed NCIS and then went back and half fixed it.

This has been, Melding explains her tired posts.

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    So, the final battle...
    I was cracking the hell up through a good bit of it. This movie knows how to have some damn fun. Mjolnir shooting off into space and the creature from the Frost Giant's realm being portal'd in... Almost as great as the Battle of New York.

Take lessons, DC. Have some fun with your movies.

And I was delighted with
    Loki's "ta-da!" as they enter the Dark Elves' world.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So, the final battle...
    I was cracking the hell up through a good bit of it. This movie knows how to have some damn fun. Mjolnir shooting off into space and the creature from the Frost Giant's realm being portal'd in... Almost as great as the Battle of New York.

Take lessons, DC. Have some fun with your movies.

And I was delighted with
    Loki's "ta-da!" as they enter the Dark Elves' world.
    Mjolnir trying to keep up with Thor was anice touch and Loki really had so many good lines (including the Cap cameo)

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Thor 2
    I enjoyed it, especially after I rationalized that redemption for Loki just isn't a THING because not having a backup self-serving plan is not in his nature.

I think I loved Mjolnir flying aroun getting confused entirely too much. Have that hammer some personality.

Also Kat Dennings calling it "myur myur" again was fantastic. I know she is only there for comic relief but she is so delightful in this movie.

And yes Frigga kicking ass was great. I REALLY enjoyed that

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    @Hullis

Big E Langston for Luke Cage.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Thor was so great you guys
    I laughed a lot!
    I also openly wept at one point, so
    Was it because of Frigga? Such a great badass mom.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Thor 2:
    Frigga died to motivate Thor and Loki to work together, but she went out like a boss so I didn't mind as much.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, one of Mr Dapper's blogs just revealed this amazing photo from the filming of Iron Man 3 to me
    tumblr_mvsz6xdm5f1r3rloeo1_500.jpg

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I would have words with thee

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Thor 2
    I think the reason that Frigga didn't come off as fridged for me was that looking back, it seems that she was really aware of what was going to happen and making a concious choice to go through with any consequences. She wasn't surprised or taken down by an offhand blow, but went in there with her head held high. Coupled with the funeral, there is a real sense of weight, rather than coming off as just a bridging scene like so many other films.

Also, Thor's exit to go put down the prison break is probably one of my favourite bits in the film, just for the contrast of chatting in civvies -> up up and away!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Thor 2
    I think the reason that Frigga didn't come off as fridged for me was that looking back, it seems that she was really aware of what was going to happen and making a concious choice to go through with any consequences. She wasn't surprised or taken down by an offhand blow, but went in there with her head held high. Coupled with the funeral, there is a real sense of weight, rather than coming off as just a bridging scene like so many other films.

Also, Thor's exit to go put down the prison break is probably one of my favourite bits in the film, just for the contrast of chatting in civvies -> up up and away!

Yeah
    Its become something of a buzz word lately but both Frigga and Sif have a real sense of agency about them. Yes both characters have motives relating to the male protagonist but they never seem defined solely by that relation.

Quire.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

Elementary is great

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who thought anthony hopkins phoned it in at times in Thor 2?

I thought he was great in the original, but this time, especially in the first half, he almost sounded bored.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Elementary is a nice, entertaining show. It isn't amazing but it isn't terrible either. It probably gets shit on a lot because people think it is coping Sherlock, which is crazy.

Because besides the shows featuring Sherlock and company in the 21st century they are radically different.

Elementary does a lot of interesting things with the Sherlock mythology, is really character focused, and is primarily a show about Watson's transformation through Sherlock.

Also its portrayal of minorities is pretty good too!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Watson fucks mycroft what more do you want

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Haha what

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Watson fucks mycroft what more do you want

What?

I don't remember this happening.

I remember Sherlock saying he was okay with it and Watson saying she was attracted to him.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought anthony hopkins phoned it in at times in Thor 2?

I thought he was great in the original, but this time, especially in the first half, he almost sounded bored.

see that's how I thought he was in the first one

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like sherlock better as a show.

I like Elementary for their interpretation of Sherlock. (Although I like both of their interpretation of watson)

I'd just wish there would be less episodes of, someone is murdered, better solve it, as that is not just what Sherlock was about.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I kinda assumed they were using a female Watson so they could do a multi-season will they - wont they romance thing but it sounds like they're not doing that so the show's already a lot better than I was expecting.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.