As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I wonder if there will come a time in my life I don't get giddy like a kid on christmas eve before things like Blizzcon or E3 where news about things I love will be announced.

I see the counter on MMO-Champ for the start of blizzcon and it almost makes me want to take my ambien early so it comes sooner.

If being 33 and having 2 kids doesn't dampen the thrill, being 60 probably won't either. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    While I'm excited to hear the new WoW news, nothing can compare to my excitement over the Starcraft matches because holy fuck those are going to ROCK. I'd recommend anyone to watch them, because it's great fun and Blizzcon looks to be one of the best tournaments of the year.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Random insane speculation:

What if the expansion had a alternate leveling path for lower levels?

You know how there's been all this rumor-mongering about alternate timelines? What about if the new characters were from one of those alternate timelines, and by the end of it get pulled by Bronze muckery into the main one?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Random insane speculation:

What if the expansion had a alternate leveling path for lower levels?

You know how there's been all this rumor-mongering about alternate timelines? What about if the new characters were from one of those alternate timelines, and by the end of it get pulled by Bronze muckery into the main one?

"Garrosh?! You're supposed to be in Panda jail!"
    "No, I am from another timeline. That is the evil Garrosh. I am the good one, here to tell you about-"
    *A mustached Thrall walks through, and starts punching people.*
    "EVIL THRALL."

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    The fact that Thrall is apparently all over promotional stuff or something has me a little worried.

This should be Vol'jin's time to shine. Hopefully they didn't make him Warchief just to pull some alternate timeline crap where Thrall is the most important person ever all over again.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The images of Thrall are old, though. Like a year or two old. I think it's less "thrall's time to shine" and more "this is a high quality image we have, of one of the main warcraft characters, that does not reveal the plot or name of our next expansion"

liEt3nH.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Thrall is all over promotional stuff because everyone* loves him.

*Metzen

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I would have no problems if Thrall just didn't turn up for like a year. Anywhere. I'm sick of Green Jesus and his stupid gravel voice. I'd also appreciate if there were no gravel-voiced villains suddenly appearing (basically I'm saying I hate Metzen's voice work).

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man, the 50s are such a slog

I always forget how much I hate leveling through the 50s

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Namon wrote: »
    I am not opposed to the option to tailor it at all, but it should not be a damn near requirement to play the game correctly. At that point you are flat out in bad design territory. The default UI is terrible, but it has been covered up because people have retooled it to be usable (and very well I may add). Your average player does not know this and/or they don't want to have to be assed to wade through all the mods to find one they like, download it, and download another thing so the mod can stay up to date with little annoyance. Thus, this puts them behind before they even get out of the gates. That is pretty much my point in the first place.

I think it varies wildly by class. As a Rogue, the only things I used were DBM, threatmeter (really don't even need that anymore), DPS meter (dont even need that), and Elkano's buff bars to help track a few CDs. Even on my Brewmaster, the only thing above those that I use is Weakauras.

That's always served me adequately, even when I was in more hardcore raid guilds. (Killed KJ pre-nerf, Heroic Lich King, etc)

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    One thing I noticed on my druid as opposed to my mage is that a lot of abilities from other specs are just left there. Why does my Moonkin need to have all these Feral abilities? Is it a hybrid thing? I only really play a mage/druid with dabbles in Shaman/Monk so I have no idea if it's less of thing for pure classes.
    They're still there because not only do they reinforce the class's shapeshifting but they're super useful. Growl, Stampeding Roar (especially with Glyph), Might of Ursoc, Frenzied Regeneration, Feral Faerie Fire (only with Glyph), Dash, and Prowl are all valid for being used by a Resto or Balance druid based on the situation.

Edit: I totally meant to touch on the learning convo: I think at the very least Blizz needs to do two things:
    1) Do a quest at level 10 where you're exposed to all of your class's specs, get what each one does and how it's used explained to you, go through a basic example of what it's like, and then get to choose which you want.
    2) Do a quest at each 15 level point where you're exposed to all of your talent choices, get what each one does and how it's used explained to you, go through a basic example of using it, and then get to choose which you want.
    A bonus would be doing the same thing with the spec's core abilities.

For that stuff I imagine them doing two things to make it cool:
    1) When you level up you get a courier who runs up to you with the quest and handles the teleporting you to the quest area (solo scenario).
    2) There's a storyline starring NPCs who are "levelling at the same time as you" who help teach the grouping aspects of the game.

Opty on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Been leveling a Rogue lately. Leveling as Assassination, all Heirloom'd out. I deleted my old 85 Alliance one cause I couldn't really be bothered to care about it. So I remade one as Horde, currently like 25-ish. Been mostly doing dungeons and BGs. Holy fuck low level BGs are SO fun. Yeah, they're stupid crazy imbalanced and not tuned at all... But it's just plain fun. You have such few abilities to worry about, there's hardly any CC. Everything is so simple.

Like, I have Mutilate, Slice and Dice, Envenom, Kick, Gouge, Recuperate... and Ambush/Sap. I think that's it? But it's great to not really have to THINK about anything and just DO it. Sneak around in Stealth, Sap a guy, Ambush another and go to town until he's dead (or runs away q_q). Keep up SnD, use Recup when I need to. I don't have to worry about CC-chaining or DRs or popping CDs or Defensives or... any of that. It's really refreshing.

I mean, of course, I'm playing a mid-20's Rogue. It certainly doesn't hurt that I can nearly one-shot people.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    You don't need to be writing your own lua strings or whatever to get all the information you need, you just need to be able to install and configure a few basic addons.

I don't really see the point of arguing that the default UI should be perfect right out of the box in a game that's this complex; I much prefer WoW's customization to the UIs in other MMOs that may be better at the default level but lack flexibility. Average players who want to be above average should be able to use addons to filter the information they receive without any trouble.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I just wish they'd cut down on some of the skill bloat. So many abilities that are only useful in very specific situations, but god help you if you don't have it on your bar when you need it.

Then talents just add more skills. Same with some glyphs and trinkets. And if you're an engineer you have another buff to add with your gloves.

You can macro a lot, but you have to know how to do that. I guess you don't need it to play, but making it easier to understand wouldn't hurt.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So ret pally 4pT16 + divine purpose is hilarious

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    While I'm excited to hear the new WoW news, nothing can compare to my excitement over the Starcraft matches because holy fuck those are going to ROCK. I'd recommend anyone to watch them, because it's great fun and Blizzcon looks to be one of the best tournaments of the year.

I'd agree if I knew whatever the fuck was going on in the matches. I have even watched a bunch of Day[9] vids and I'm just sitting there going "ok, cool" while everyone else is going, "OMGDIDYOUSEETHATICANTBELIEVEHEDIDTHATAMAZEBALLS"

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    You don't need to be writing your own lua strings or whatever to get all the information you need, you just need to be able to install and configure a few basic addons.

I don't really see the point of arguing that the default UI should be perfect right out of the box in a game that's this complex; I much prefer WoW's customization to the UIs in other MMOs that may be better at the default level but lack flexibility. Average players who want to be above average should be able to use addons to filter the information they receive without any trouble.

I think the biggest fault I have with the stock UI, given how much you can mod it, is that you can't move SHIT. If I could re-arrange my bars and player frames without needing a mod, I'd probably be largely content to run stock. The other mods I have are mostly quality of life/shiny type stuff (Prat, Raven, Acherus, etc), and I could play without them if needed. But holy fuck not letting me move things is so dated, even freaking EQ allows you to do this.

96058.png?1619393207
    I got a chuckle out of this from Twitter: "Those of you who complain about LFR have never talked their technologically challenged parent through setting up a Kindle."

If I'm reading this right, virtual pass gives you access to panel vids for two weeks after Blizzcon finishes. If this is true, it's likely the last thing to push me over the edge of buying a VP.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Insane speculation: there is no expansion.

Crayon wrote: »

An expansion is a good time to fill the coffers with millions of players buying the 39/49£ however much expansion, set everyone on equal footing gear and progression-wise, as well as revitalize interest in the game and get a bunch of press attention and publicity.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Moddable UI is one of the best and worst aspects of WoW. Things such as threat meters need to be baked into the default UI in an unobtrusive way, such as the FFXIV interface.

Things like heal assist, one-click cleansing, deadly boss mods, and other mods of that nature are a blight on the game. In the case of things like heal assist and one-click cleanse, that is not how the game was designed to be played. Spells like Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Remove Poison were put in the game for a reason. They want you to put that spell on your hotbar and make a conscious decision to cast it. Mindlessly clicking someone's name when a red box lights up removes any challenge at all from the existence of negative effects.

And in the case of deadly boss mods -- audible chimes, on-screen alerts, and timers on boss cooldowns completely defeat the purpose of learning a boss and remove any of the mystery and wonder from the encounter. Those mods strip encounters of their personality and reduce them to a set of predictable mechanical cogs.

It's called "pay attention." That's literally all a person has to do to be successful in a raid.

I feel like you're complaining about Vanilla here. The threat meter is baked into the UI, not that you really need it since tanks don't lose aggro anymore. Decursive is long broken and one-click cleanse is just the result of letting people cast spells with a mouse click instead of having to mash a key every time. And if you get rid of the mods you're back to either mobs doing anime-style called attacks or requiring everyone to remember how long they have to do X before they need to Y, i.e. simpler fights.

edited November 2013
    reVerse wrote: »

An expansion is a good time to fill the coffers with millions of players buying the 39/49£ however much expansion, set everyone on equal footing gear and progression-wise, as well as revitalize interest in the game and get a bunch of press attention and publicity.

I didn't say logical speculation, I said iiiiiinsane!

Nothing has leaked aside from a trademark. I get that the financial and logical thing to do is an expansion, and that it's the time frame - but what if titan wasn't canceled? Wow 2. Bam!

In other news, I never played Diablo 3. Seeing the crusader stuff, I really want to play. I suppose I should just wait until then?

Crayon on
    edited November 2013

Nothing has leaked aside from a trademark. I get that the financial and logical thing to do is an expansion, and that it's the time frame - but what if titan wasn't canceled? Wow 2. Bam!

Titan wasn't cancelled, it's going through the "redesigned two, three, four times" design phase that all Blizzard games go through. As a result, they've reduced the amount of people on their Titan team and significantly bolstered their WoW team, so I don't think we'll be getting WoW2 quite yet.

reVerse on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

I think the biggest fault I have with the stock UI, given how much you can mod it, is that you can't move SHIT. If I could re-arrange my bars and player frames without needing a mod, I'd probably be largely content to run stock. The other mods I have are mostly quality of life/shiny type stuff (Prat, Raven, Acherus, etc), and I could play without them if needed. But holy fuck not letting me move things is so dated, even freaking EQ allows you to do this.

you can move everything in the default hi except the hotbar.

See, titan is WoW 2. Confirmed by reVerse.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular

In other news, I never played Diablo 3. Seeing the crusader stuff, I really want to play. I suppose I should just wait until then?

I'd love to see WoW 2 happen, and I've often wondered if Titan - now that the team has been 'refocused' and the game is currently in limbo - will become that game. Time will tell, I s'pose.

And yeah, D3 (at least on PC) is not at all worth it until the Loot 2.0 patch which is apparently being deployed at or around the time of the expansion.

edited November 2013
    Truthfully, WoW doesn't need character reskins, it needs an entirely new engine. I mean, I've got a fairly low/mid in the high end rig department and this game stutters in the strangest of places and still doesn't seem optimized in my non-programming skill opinion. With Guild Wars 2 and even the updated FF mmo, this game is just really showing age, especially in armor textures. It's time to alienate part of the player base and upgrade!

Crayon on
    Thanks to last year's Annual Pass, I have my "free" D3 and I haven't played it yet either. I'm actually debating setting up the game now and buying gear for a Crusader via RMAH or Gold lent from others.

It'll never happen, but I'd sacrifice a living creature to make Titan be Starcraft: Ghost.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yeah people have been saying that to GC pretty heavily of late, at least on Twitter. He continues to deflect with statements like "we upgrade the engine all the time, just in more incremental ways" and "we've already upgraded the visuals drastically since Vanilla, what specifically are you looking to see changed?". I'm sure he knows full well what people want, but it's a case of, as you said, alienating a (perhaps significant) portion of the playerbase, and given their precipitous drop in subscriptions over the past couple of years, I doubt they're in a hurry to do that.

Still, their artists are amazingly talented; I'd really love to see what they could produce if they were allowed to go wild with a new, more robust engine.

I want Titan to be a new IP, like it's been said to be. It's been a while since Blizzard made one of those.

Oh yeah, to do what they've done artistically with that engine? They're miracle workers. Every last one of them. But, putting lipstick on a pig can only last so long. I love the aesthetics, I just wish the game looked more like the in-game asset cinematics and less like vanilla with max bloom.

Mugsley wrote: »
    Thanks to last year's Annual Pass, I have my "free" D3 and I haven't played it yet either. I'm actually debating setting up the game now and buying gear for a Crusader via RMAH or Gold lent from others.

It'll never happen, but I'd sacrifice a living creature to make Titan be Starcraft: Ghost.

Wasn't the RMAH killed when they did the whole loot redesign thing recently?

I mean, I played D3 for a bit, but I got tired of getting gibbed by the 4 prefix frog platoons that'd show up in narrow areas with nowhere to dodge.

Nobody wrote: »

I mean, I played D3 for a bit, but I got tired of getting gibbed by the 4 prefix frog platoons that'd show up in narrow areas with nowhere to dodge.

Will be killed when they do.

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Truthfully, WoW doesn't need character reskins, it needs an entirely new engine. I mean, I've got a fairly low/mid in the high end rig department and this game stutters in the strangest of places and still doesn't seem optimized in my non-programming skill opinion. With Guild Wars 2 and even the updated FF mmo, this game is just really showing age, especially in armor textures. It's time to alienate part of the player base and upgrade!

I completely agree about the new engine part. 25 man raiding results in a lot of lag when the graphics of the game make me think "how the fuck am I lagging?" and it's not just me I heard of people with intel i7's top of the line computers having trouble with this game. I'm no computer programmer but it doesn't make sense that top of the line computers struggle with not so high quality graphics.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that the graphics are only a part of what causes lag in 25man settings - I mean, they're not changing the rate at which abilities tick because of graphical constraints. At a certain point there's just more going on in the engine than was ever initially conceived as a need.

liEt3nH.png
    there is no way that any i7 should be having any trouble with WoW. There just isn't, and if an i7 machine is having trouble then something else is going on. There's much more stress on the processor than on the graphics card, but still.

a whole new engine is almost certainly not coming; even games with legitimate problems don't just blow it up and start over. They made the decision to ride with the outdated-but-stylistic format long ago and they'll probably continue to do so and just add new models and other stuff around the edges.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah my PC is like 5 years old (i5, Radeon 6850) and I run maxed out in 25man with no issues. My framerate never dips below 30 and seldom dips below 60.

I don't understand what some people's PC must be doing in the background. Are you like trying to encode an HD video on the fly or something? Even still, an i7 chip should actually be able to handle doing that too.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Nobody wrote: »

Will be killed when they do.

Ahh thanks, I thought it had already happened, my bad.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I dunno, as someone who raided up through KT in vanilla, the dark days where we had a guy with a stopwatch monitoring boss abilities and calling them out pre-dbm style addons were not particularly great. There was no wonder, was just dying to timers until we found out what the timers were via dying and stopwatches, and then keeping track with said stopwatches.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    When are they?

This discussion has been closed.