As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GIANT BOMB Has Been Rated

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This Xbox One showcase video has pretty much guaranteed if they drop the Kinect and cut the price I'll get one

i mean maybe I haven't heard something on the rumor stream but the way that thing is being used they will never drop the kinect. they might cut the price after 18 months but it will come with kinect in the box.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So you know how people have been talking about not needing to get a new console because they can get an equal or better experience on PC?

That is technically true for the most part, but what people never mention is how much of a pain in the ass it is to set up said games.

Almost every single game I add to Steam requires some sort of computer wizardry in order to receive the equivalent of a console experience. The controller might not work, the resolution may not match your TV's, there are unpatched bugs, my saves didn't sync...the list goes on and on.

I honestly can't recall a PC game I could just install and have all the settings work right off the bat without any ini configuring or fan made mods.

Point being, if the new consoles like the PS4 can deliver games that more or less match the quality of PC ports while also allowing me to just start the same without any bullshit, then you can certainly bet I'll be going console for the sake of convenience.

That's why I'm looking at AC Black Flag as a launch game instead of a Steam sale.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So you know how people have been talking about not needing to get a new console because they can get an equal or better experience on PC?

That is technically true for the most part, but what people never mention is how much of a pain in the ass it is to set up said games.

Almost every single game I add to Steam requires some sort of computer wizardry in order to receive the equivalent of a console experience. The controller might not work, the resolution may not match your TV's, there are unpatched bugs, my saves didn't sync...the list goes on and on.

I honestly can't recall a PC game I could just install and have all the settings work right off the bat without any ini configuring or fan made mods.

Point being, if the new consoles like the PS4 can deliver games that more or less match the quality of PC ports while also allowing me to just start the same without any bullshit, then you can certainly bet I'll be going console for the sake of convenience.

That's why I'm looking at AC Black Flag as a launch game instead of a Steam sale.

I

What?

Ok, lets start from the top

What game have you played on PC that doesn't have controller support?

There is a dropdown box for resolution. This takes approximately 10 seconds. That is not "Computer Wizardry"

Are you saying that bugs don't happen on consoles? They both receive patches at about the same time, and steam auto-updates.

I haven't played a game that needed .ini configuring in like... 6 years? At least?

Like are you talking about small project games? Cause big retail games have been receiving extremely good PC ports on the regular for years.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    90% of PC games work for me without any fiddling with the actual config files.

I typically have to go into the options menu to adjust the resolution, yeah, but that's so quick and easy it hardly seems worth mentioning.

IKknkhU.gif
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I typically have to go into the options menu to adjust the resolution, yeah, but that's so quick and easy it hardly seems worth mentioning.

It is weird that a handful of games seem to detect my native resolution automatically and run at it, but most don't. I wish they all would. But it's not a big deal.

edited November 2013
    captaink wrote: »

It is weird that a handful of games seem to detect my native resolution automatically and run at it, but most don't. I wish they all would. But it's not a big deal.

TV's are weird, their pixel structure isn't the same as monitors so my guess is its sometimes tougher to detect.

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

TV's are weird, their pixel structure isn't the same as monitors so my guess is its sometimes tougher to detect.

Yeah I just have a regular monitor though.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Apparently I'm in the minority when it comes to Wolf Among Us choices
    I gave Faith my money

I took the blame for Snow White with Crane

I went and saw Prince Lawrence before I helped Toad, and I prevented Lawrence's death

I panicked and grabbed the Woodsman and I kinda regret it

6F32U1X.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have an issue with my PC where semi-regularly something will pop up and disappear again too fast for me to see what the hell it is, but if I'm playing a game at the time, it'll remove focus and minimize the game. It's a right pain, especially since just reinstalling Windows isn't an option for me.

If the PS4 can avoid doing that...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There are just very few games that try to figure out what resolution it should be at on its own. But like Stilts said, it doesn't exactly take long to change.

Bioshock is the only game I can clearly remember requiring edits to a config file to work right in a long time.

I

What?

Deadly Premonition, for one thing. Modern Warfare for another.

But if you want to get more technical, even games with controller support may not register all the normal functions. For instance, some games won't read the triggers, which means I have to set up an Xpadder profile for those buttons. There are also games that force a launcher on you, meaning I have to get up to mouse over to the play button or use Hipporemote on my phone. And then there are a couple of games where I don't know what the fuck is going on, like the reversed analog controls in Binary Domain.

Now granted, a lot of the fixes can take but a few minutes to edit with the right guides. But if you're managing hundreds of games (and if you're on Steam, you most likely are), then you're constantly fixing every little technical issue on every game that those minutes just add up.

For someone who likes to just sit back and launch games with a controller, the new generation of consoles is looking particularly enticing. It's still in its infancy on PC, and things will continue to improve, but as far as the ease of convenience goes it's still a long ways away.

David_T wrote: »
    I have an issue with my PC where semi-regularly something will pop up and disappear again too fast for me to see what the hell it is, but if I'm playing a game at the time, it'll remove focus and minimize the game. It's a right pain, especially since just reinstalling Windows isn't an option for me.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/stealingfocus02.htm

Originally Posted by Eric Lempel
    A Threefold Surprise for PS4 Owners

After months of anticipation, we’re just a week away from the launch of PlayStation 4 in the United States and Canada. Starting at midnight on November 15th, you’ll be able to see for yourself what the future of gaming and entertainment looks like.

The network now expands across a wide array of digital entertainment including incredible multi-player gameplay, availability of full games day and date, streaming movies and TV shows, and a premium cloud-based music service. We are excited to provide those of you in the US and Canada with a special promotional voucher in every PS4 box* that includes:
    $10 Sony Entertainment Network wallet credit for PlayStation Store
    30-day free PlayStation Plus membership trial
    30-day free Music Unlimited service trial**
    Out of the box, you can immediately experience everything PlayStation Plus for PS4 has to offer and have access to millions and millions of songs through Music Unlimited. The $10 credit can be used towards anything in the store including new PS4 launch titles, such as Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Killzone Shadow Fall.

Look for the voucher when you open your PS4 box and let us know what you’re excited about playing, listening, or watching by using #PS4 on Twitter.

* Available for a limited time only
    ** Only for new subscribers to the Premium Plan

Holy shit.

I

What?

Deadly Premonition, for one thing. Modern Warfare for another.

But if you want to get more technical, even games with controller support may not register all the normal functions. For instance, some games won't read the triggers, which means I have to set up an Xpadder profile for those buttons. There are also games that force a launcher on you, meaning I have to get up to mouse over to the play button or use Hipporemote on my phone. And then there are a couple of games where I don't know what the fuck is going on, like the reversed analog controls in Binary Domain.

Now granted, a lot of the fixes can take but a few minutes to edit with the right guides. But if you're managing hundreds of games (and if you're on Steam, you most likely are), then you're constantly fixing every little technical issue on every game that those minutes just add up.

For someone who likes to just sit back and launch games with a controller, the new generation of consoles is looking particularly enticing. It's still in its infancy on PC, and things will continue to improve, but as far as the ease of convenience goes it's still a long ways away.

The new modern warfares support controllers.

What games don't register triggers? Like apparently you are constantly running across issues I've never seen and I play a TON of PC games

If you want to spend 400 bucks so you don't have to change a drop down box though more power to you

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    There are some games that omit controller support for whatever reason. The Infinity Ward CoD games and Mass Effect are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited November 2013

If you want to spend 400 bucks so you don't have to change a drop down box though more power to you

It's not like I'm going to chuck my PC tower out the window...

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I had the top score on Audiosurf on some random-ass ska song by a band nobody knew
    And I got an email like, 3 years later and someone had finally played that same song and beat my score

I was like, finally, I can rest
    Thank you for setting me free

This happened to me just a few days ago with a Wire song.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    My thing with upgrading my PC is that my ass is broke, and if something I buy doesn't work or play nice with the rest of the components, well there's all my game money for the next 4-5 months down the toilet.

With consoles, I know everything in it works together.

X22wmuF.jpg
    I dunno man I think there are plenty of reasons for wanting a console but the PC being some kind of usability black hole isn't one of them

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    the anime of the year is samurai flamenco, by the way

link for size

basically, if kickass had been written by someone with a scrap of faith in humanity

This is the second time I've been sold on a show based on one gif.

The other was Hanamaru Kindergarten.

Which I swear to god is actually heartwarmingly cute and not at all creepy.

anime nerds say that about every creepy anime

To be fair, Hanamaru Kindergarten IS incredibly cute and not creepy. It's hard to tell people "It's about a kindergartener who has a crush on her male teacher" without people going straight to Kodomo No Jikan which is just straight pedo fiction.

Ronnie what is your avatar from?

X22wmuF.jpg
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Hullis wrote: »
    the anime of the year is samurai flamenco, by the way

link for size

basically, if kickass had been written by someone with a scrap of faith in humanity

This is the second time I've been sold on a show based on one gif.

The other was Hanamaru Kindergarten.

Which I swear to god is actually heartwarmingly cute and not at all creepy.

anime nerds say that about every creepy anime

To be fair, Hanamaru Kindergarten IS incredibly cute and not creepy. It's hard to tell people "It's about a kindergartener who has a crush on her male teacher" without people going straight to Kodomo No Jikan which is just straight pedo fiction.

I don't even want to know what that other thing is.

Won't even Google it.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm gonna guess Rune Factory 4

IKknkhU.gif
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

Rune Factory 4, it's Dylas, the horse bachelor.

When you defeat this:
    rf4_dylas_thumb.jpg

He becomes this:
    Dylas-3.jpg
    aFHHIsr.gif

Ooof course he does

Why wouldn't he

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    What games don't register triggers? Like apparently you are constantly running across issues I've never seen and I play a TON of PC games

The triggers on the 360 controller don't work right with any game that doesn't specifically support the 360 controller.

So any game released before 2006.

Not that controller support in PC games was great before the 360 controller became a thing.

rfilyaw wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

Rune Factory 4, it's Dylas, the horse bachelor.

When you defeat this:
    rf4_dylas_thumb.jpg

He becomes this:
    Dylas-3.jpg
    aFHHIsr.gif
    That is wonderful.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I had the top score on Audiosurf on some random-ass ska song by a band nobody knew
    And I got an email like, 3 years later and someone had finally played that same song and beat my score

I am the uncontested champion of every Superchunk song on Audiosurf because I'm the only person that plays any Superchunk on Audiosurf

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I am the uncontested champion of every Superchunk song on Audiosurf because I'm the only person that plays any Superchunk on Audiosurf

Until now

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I was considering not buying physical copies of any games I'm getting at launch with my PS4 but I'm still a bit nervous that the PS Store is going to be borked for the first several days.

That deal up there is pretty sweet though, so hopefully I'm wrong.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I have 100 games in my Steam library and only one of them has caused me any technical difficulty. That was Metro 2033.

90% of games automatically detect you have a controller plugged in and it works immediately, without any fussing. Occasionally you may have to use the mouse to select the controller option. The other thing you'll probably have to do is change your resolution. If you want to delve into individual settings, you certainly can, but most games these days have blanket settings like "Low" to "Very High" or "Ultra" (which is maxed out). I tend to pick the highest one and move down if necessary until I have the framerate I want, however the 770 I just bought was $70 cheaper than a PS4 and runs everything at max.

Deadly Premonition was the same kind of hackjob PC port as Dark Souls, because Japanese developers seem to be bewildered by doing anything on a PC. Infinity Ward was very purposefully leaving out controller support on the PC version of their games (until the original team left) because people playing with controllers wouldn't be able to keep up with mouse aiming.

I have never ever touched a .ini file.

Basically, in short, it's not 2001 anymore. PC games run extraordinarily well. Even installing a new video card is essentially like plugging in a NES cartridge. And one of the best things about Steam and DLC is that it's all tied to your copy, so it will automatically reinstall all DLC when you reinstall your game. Patching is automatic.

I guess if you are trying to play very old games, like PS1 games that got PC ports, yeah, you're going to have to futz around with it pretty extensively to get a controller working. But to be fair, we're fast approaching a point where if you want to play old games like that, you're pretty much going to only find them on a PC, unless you've managed to hang on to all your old consoles and games.

Ceno on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Dead Rising 3 looks amazing

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yeah pcs are mostly pretty intuitive to use now

while consoles if anything are getting more and more like them with all these updates and shit

the main reason to get a console over a pc is that you are not going to be able to build a pc for $400 that will run games as well as the ps4

not from scratch, anyway, if all you need to do is upgrade your gpu or something then you can get a fantastic one for $400

PNk1Ml4.png
    Even if PC versions have problems, the best part of PC versions is that they can all be fixed

I ran into a bunch of quest-breaking bugs on the 360 version of Skyrim

If I was playing the PC version, I could've skipped past those in about 5 minutes and kept on going unabated

6F32U1X.png
    Xehalus wrote: »

I've been trying to avoid watching anything since I plan on buying it anyway. Have they mentioned whether or not they're using a timer, like in the previous games?

Maximum wrote: »

I've been trying to avoid watching anything since I plan on buying it anyway. Have they mentioned whether or not they're using a timer, like in the previous games?

There is no timer in normal mode

There is a timer in "Nightmare" mode, but that also ups enemy difficulty. You cannot play "normal" difficulty with a timer.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Would have been nice if that worked, but sadly no.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Maximum wrote: »

There is no timer in normal mode

There is a timer in "Nightmare" mode, but that also ups enemy difficulty. You cannot play "normal" difficulty with a timer.

That's disappointing. I was probably one of the few people that actually liked it though, so I understand why they took it out.

Would have been nice if that worked, but sadly no.

Huh

Weird, sorry man it worked for me, I can't think what would be causing it

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So uh

Did the You Don't Know Jack guys make this NETFLIX MAX thing cause it is pretty much YDKJ

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.