As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Who is this Thrall character everyone keeps talking about? Don't you mean Go'el? (trollface.jpg)

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I dunno, as someone who raided up through KT in vanilla, the dark days where we had a guy with a stopwatch monitoring boss abilities and calling them out pre-dbm style addons were not particularly great. There was no wonder, was just dying to timers until we found out what the timers were via dying and stopwatches, and then keeping track with said stopwatches.

I was one of the Stopwatch guys, too.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I want Titan to be a new IP, like it's been said to be. It's been a while since Blizzard made one of those.
    Yup, almost 16 years.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    About 1 hour from Opening Ceremonies!

Impressive that they managed to keep a lid on the xpack news; I wonder if they don't even have things up in the halls hinting, for folks probably in line and such right now.

We'll see how much of those supposed leaks are true; I'm hoping not much, but the transmog thing was mighty nice sounding; despite all the lore stuff sounding incredibly bad.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• EnialisEnialis Registered User regular
    The lag problems are unrelated to graphics as long as you have a card that was made in the past few years. The performance problems are almost completely related to poor CPU utilization and combat log spam. Magera doesn't lag you out during the rampage because of the particle effects, it's be because of the torrent of damage/heal/buff messages being sent to you.

The game is 9 years old, they probably started working on the engine 12 years ago, and 12 years ago multicore wasn't even a dream. They've added some multiprocessor support into the game but its still largely a single thread doing most of the work, and processors have hit the wall of what you can do with q single core. They'd basically have to rebuild the engine from to ground up to completely resolve the lag issues, which at this point in the games life is a pretty silly waste of resources unfortunately.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there's barely any stutter though, unless maybe you have an old quad core with a really low clock speed or one of the early bulldozers or something. It's only happened on a couple specific situations this expansion (megara, the start of malkorak), and a lot of the time the slowdown is actually the result of meters adding a ton of calculations onto what the combat log is doing.

and if you're actually lagging out during those situations, your processor isn't really what the problem is anyway.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Impressive that they managed to keep a lid on the xpack news; I wonder if they don't even have things up in the halls hinting, for folks probably in line and such right now.

We'll see how much of those supposed leaks are true; I'm hoping not much, but the transmog thing was mighty nice sounding; despite all the lore stuff sounding incredibly bad.

What 'leaks' are these? I've missed out.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Garrosh escapes, time travels to Draenor past, starts up The Iron Horde, we go after him.

Garrosh escapes, time travels to Draenor past, starts up The Iron Horde, we go after him.

Yeah, basically this-ish. Grom is supposedly the big-bad or something.

Because, you know, one xpack with a Hellscream going pants-on-head evil inexplicably wasn't enough, we need another with the same baddie and his daddy who has been dead for over a decade (yes, wc3 was a long long time ago)!

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm one of those with an i7, and there is problems in 25 man lfr for me. The only other background processes running is Spotify and chrome. I check for malware/viruses weekly and even manually check processes. There ARE problems in this game that no top end computer can fix. I'm not running into any gates on the pc end.

Anywho, someone earlier said games don't go and rewrite from the ground up or do major overhauls graphically. Hi, have you met Eve Online and Final Fantasy?

As to the leaks, man I just came back and would really like to not leave, but the leaks sound terrible.

Well, it's for sure Warlords of Draenor:
    WoDLogoPreivew.jpg

• dylmandylman Registered User regular
    The Warlords of Draenor logo just popped up in the background on the Blizzcon feed:

WoDLogoPreivew.jpg

I'm now really worried that we are indeed going to see another entirely Horde focused expansion. It's getting silly now.

I struggle to think that there was a group of people at Blizzard who all agreed that another xpack that focused on horde baddies and horde storylines was the best course of action going forward.

I mean...really?

/sigh

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Time Traveling back to kill our fathers (well, not mine since I'm a troll).

And more Hellscreams. I guess.

• Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    dylman wrote: »
    The Warlords of Draenor logo just popped up in the background on the Blizzcon feed:
    I'm now really worried that we are indeed going to see another entirely Horde focused expansion. It's getting silly now.
    maybe the space goats will play a b...
    yeah i can't say it with a straight face either

http://i.imgur.com/z84vN07.jpg

New class? Timewalker.

Don't worry, there'll be a badly written book coming out that introduces Anduin's first love interest, or something. That'll keep the Alliance players happy, right?

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »

New class? Timewalker.

Pretty sure that was debunked on MMO Champions. The artwork at least isn't new, it was on a card.

dylman wrote: »
    Don't worry, there'll be a badly written book coming out that introduces Anduin's first love interest, or something. That'll keep the Alliance players happy, right?

Nah, movie. That the movie supposedly won't have any warcraft lore characters we know really is starting to make more sense.

New class? Timewalker.

Hmm...not sure if I buy that one. Isn't that Warrior T8 shoulders?

Or maybe that's the point, with time...and new transmog stuff.

Man I don't even know anymore.

I wouldn't mind a new class, as long as they can be played by undead, that's the last horde race I don't have a 90 of.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    We'll probably get to meet pre-exodar draenei too, right? Guess it depends how far back in the past garrosh goes.

Also it seems like anduin is involved with garrosh in some way, so that might be the way the alliance side of things hooks in.

Anyway I generally enjoy fucking-up-time storylines, and there's no way this expansion can sound any more ridiculous than pandaria did when they announced it, and pandaria turned out to be pretty neat.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I'd rather not have another expansion where we have to kill more Horde lore figures.

Though there's going to have to be something to repair the brutal beating with the villain bat that the orcs got last two expacs at some point.

Well...they have been known to reuse graphics. Hah.

For what it's worth, I'd love to be a warden more than anything in this game.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno if scantily clad characters count as NSFW so I'm linking this just in case, but this cracked me the fuck up.
    http://i.imgur.com/xwmJWDX.jpg

I didn't buy a livestream for this; I was just assuming mmo-champ would keep an updated blog like he has for past blizzcons.
    That's safe, right?

Though I am seeing people in-game with the new murlok pet.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    You can watch the opening ceremony for free with no virtual ticket.

Pre-show is on now. Opening ceremony in like two minutes.

... I dunno if I like this or not.

edited November 2013
    I didn't buy a livestream for this; I was just assuming mmo-champ would keep an updated blog like he has for past blizzcons.
    That's safe, right?

You can watch the opening ceremony for free on blizzards website.

Edit: beated

Crayon on
    The opening ceremony is being streamed for free on http://www.blizzcon.com, the rest is virtual ticket only though.

edited November 2013
    That's safe, right?

You can watch the opening ceremony for free on blizzards website.

Edit: beated

Ah thanks folks

http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/live-stream/

It's starting.

The Dude With Herpes on

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Insane speculation:

Both Warlords of Draenor and The Dark Below are WoW expansions, both are coming out at the same time.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Yeah, I'm one of those with an i7, and there is problems in 25 man lfr for me. The only other background processes running is Spotify and chrome. I check for malware/viruses weekly and even manually check processes. There ARE problems in this game that no top end computer can fix. I'm not running into any gates on the pc end.

Anywho, someone earlier said games don't go and rewrite from the ground up or do major overhauls graphically. Hi, have you met Eve Online and Final Fantasy?

the final fantasy thing was pretty much a disaster, wasn't it? I'm not sure why we'd look to that as a good example for anything. I'm not really familiar with EVE's development history but okay, there's one game out there that rebuilt it's engine.

I mean, I have an i5 2500k and run 25s at ~60 fps most of the time. Yes, there's some momentary slowdown on megara rampages and at the start of malkorak and maybe one or two other times I'm forgetting, but only for a second or two. If those situations are actually causing you to lag out, the problem isn't with your processor.

NREqxl5.jpg
    What upsets me is that in a smartphone forward world I can't watch the stream on my phone. Thanks!

edited November 2013

the final fantasy thing was pretty much a disaster, wasn't it? I'm not sure why we'd look to that as a good example for anything. I'm not really familiar with EVE's development history but okay, there's one game out there that rebuilt it's engine.

I mean, I have an i5 2500k and run 25s at ~60 fps most of the time. Yes, there's some momentary slowdown on megara rampages and at the start of malkorak and maybe one or two other times I'm forgetting, but only for a second or two. If those situations are actually causing you to lag out, the problem isn't with your processor.

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying; XIV ARR has been a resounding success, really good reviews, both from players and critics, and seems to be doing quite well with a healthy playerbase.

It did get a graphical overhaul, but it was mainly the engine, visually the game looks much better but that's from a design perspective, the actual visual features of ARR are slightly below 1.0

EDIT: Oh, ar eyou saying that 1.0 was so bad that revamping it isn't comparable to doing it in WoW, an already still wildly popular game?

If so, nevermind this post. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    WarlordsOfDraenor.com now links to a 404 page on battle.net.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Watching the stream via app on my phone while I have my Twitter stream up.

I'm not working, so much as "working".

I love that http://us.battle.net/wow/en/warlords-of-draenor has a Simpson's reference going on.

I wonder if Sony paid cashmoney to have just their console have reaper of souls playable there.

edited November 2013

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying; XIV ARR has been a resounding success, really good reviews, both from players and critics, and seems to be doing quite well with a healthy playerbase.

It did get a graphical overhaul, but it was mainly the engine, visually the game looks much better but that's from a design perspective, the actual visual features of ARR are slightly below 1.0

EDIT: Oh, ar eyou saying that 1.0 was so bad that revamping it isn't comparable to doing it in WoW, an already still wildly popular game?

If so, nevermind this post. :P

yeah, that. Like, didn't everybody get to play for free for like six months or something like that? I'm glad it all worked out but it seemed like the first iteration was such a mess that there was no choice but to rebuild it. Compared to WoW, which has a functional, reasonably efficient, hilariously stable game client that has some problems around the edges.

Plus FFXIV was a new game; WoW is a dying one (not dying in the sense of "dooooommmmmm" and shit, it's just on the back end of its run.) It makes a lot more sense to dump resources into a newer property.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    Alright, I'm not a moba dude, but that little mashup video was pretty awesome.

This discussion has been closed.