As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Time To Get Your Game On!

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
Figured I'd set up the thread for this particular card game. Created as a throw-away plot device for a story in the same-named manga by Kazuki Takahashi, the card game would end up becoming the central focus of action thanks to the fans demanding more of it. It didn't take long for Takahashi, Bandai and finally Konami to flesh the game out into something that's still in demand in both it's native home of Japan and here in the U.S. as well.

For more info on the game, it's history and what sets have been released for it so far, check out these links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh%21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh%21_Trading_Card_Game

9/20 Edit: Tossing in the link for the ban-lists depending if you go for the Advanced format (A.K.A. tournament play-style) or Traditional (casual play-style). Updated on September 1st, so they're quite up to date.

http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/forbidden/default.aspx

Owenashi on

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As I said, I see youngsters playing Yu-Gi-Oh at my local shop, and hang my head in shame from the elitism.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This is one of the only card games from my youth that I still keep in touch with. I find the strategy and cards to be interesting enough to warrent my attention.

Oh, and for those that need some good links:

http://www.metagame.com/yugioh/
    http://www.netrep.net/
    http://www.dmcomet.net/

And for fans of the anime:
    http://www.janime.info/Genex/index.html
    http://www.janime.eu/

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fuck let's get some YVD up in this bitch.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

Que?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

Que?

Yugioh Virtual Desktop. Back when I actually played, it was the premier YGO program. Pretty much the only one out there.

I'll dig up the site tomorrow after work..

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    it's www.xerocreative.com
    Go to the download section.
    I can't play anymore because I'm on a mac, but I also haven't played since Cybernetic Revolution came out. I've no idea if my Reasoning deck is any good anymore. It used to hand people quite the ass-kicking.

I just loved pulling out my Eight and Nine stars, then raping them with Thousand Eyes and...well that's the only fusion I remember having in my deck.
    I had about two level fours, three level fives, and only Magician of Faith for lowest level.

Unless you count scapegoat.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

Que?

Yugioh Virtual Desktop. Back when I actually played, it was the premier YGO program. Pretty much the only one out there.

I'll dig up the site tomorrow after work..

YVD's not the only way to play YGO! online anymore. Konami's set up a online version of the game. Gotta pay to play, but it's probably the most stable way to play online without having to worry about any cheating (not that YVD allows cheating as far as I know, mind you).

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm actually afraid to play on there, because I may have to wade though the elitism.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I'm actually afraid to play on there, because I may have to wade though the elitism.

Heh, you really like that word, don'tcha? Maybe we oughta make it the secret word of the day. :)

And yes, I do understand the trepidation. Pain in the butt to get into a cool game like this only to deal with players who believe Seto Kaiba wasn't smug enough. Even worse when they act all high and mighty and yet have no idea how to play a card or two in one way or the other.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Eh, Elitism though either retarded Meta's in CCG's and Metagaming/minmax/"Red Magery" in P+P RPG's, pet peeve of mine, I might as well try for the hell of it.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hey, I wouldn't mind playing some YVD. I love me some Yu-gi-oh.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    so what are the big card combos these days?
    Last I played everyone had Cyber End Dragon

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    so what are the big card combos these days?
    Last I played everyone had Cyber End Dragon

::nods::Not too surprising. I haven't played too much of the game lately but concidering that Cyber End Dragon is a Monster card played by one of the more elite (AHHHHHHHH!!) characters from the new GX anime, it oughta be used and looked for a lot, just like old Blue-Eyes.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yes, but this was about two or three card sets ago. Now I think it would be whatever the new card sets have come out with.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Owenashi wrote:

Heh, you really like that word, don'tcha? Maybe we oughta make it the secret word of the day. :)

And yes, I do understand the trepidation. Pain in the butt to get into a cool game like this only to deal with players who believe Seto Kaiba wasn't smug enough. Even worse when they act all high and mighty and yet have no idea how to play a card or two in one way or the other.

"lol noob u play Cats Ear Tribe?"
    "...*Plays Invigorate*I'm sorry, I didn't hear you over your 300 attack monster being forced to slam into a 900 attack monster."

I loved that combo. Force your opponent to attack a monster who became out of its' league(Cats Ear Tribe makes them attack you, and lowers their attack to 300 - Same as CET. Add an Attack booster to CET, like Invigorate or Gaia Power, and the opponents still 300 attack)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    With the new ban list having just come out, there isn't a whole lot that is huge yet. THe Monarchs from AST. RDS, and SOD all see a lot of play, along with warriors and Cyber Dragons. Should be interesting to see what else comes up soon though.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    How are deck and hand burning decks doing? I loved those decks.

Rape 'em right up the ass.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    By deck burning you mean mill? Not sure off hand.

Hand Destruction is ALWAYS good though :-p

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Deck burning meaning getting rid of cards in their deck.

also I remember good ol' pot of greed
    did they ever bring that shit back

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Deck burning meaning getting rid of cards in their deck.

also I remember good ol' pot of greed
    did they ever bring that shit back

You can check out the ban-lists. I edited the first post to include the link for both of them. :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    oh fuck them, they banned BOTH of the cards in my favorite combo.
    No more tsukoyomi and thousand eyes restrict :(

also when did Envoy of the Beginning get banned? When I stopped that was still a heavily played card.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Black Luster Got banned back in OCtober of last year.

I was really sad they banned Tsukuyomi and TER too. TER was premptive due to a card coming out in the next set that got a lot of abuse in Japan.

Tsukuyomi I don't quite get though. Yeah, it could set up little loops and such, but they were usually pretty easy to break up.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Oh god, Tsuk then Nobleman of Crossout was great for your opponents high level monsters
    fuck them all to hell.

One time I made an experimental "return from different dimension" deck with the Sphynx's from the movie promo set. Actually got out the one with 10500 attack power and slapped a fairy meteor crush on it.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Havent polayed yugioh in forever use to run a Gravekeepers deck, maybe i should get out YVD again.

Lubony on
    No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Gravekeeper. Fuck gravekeeper. I could kick ass against that shit with my Reasoning deck.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    When I'm making a deck, I just find a bunch of my best cards that I've used before and throw them together.

I.e., I'll be searching through my pile of cards, and I'll find:

1x "The Creator"
    1x "Space Mambo"
    1x "Nightmare Wheel"
    1x "Archfiend Soldier"
    1x "Shooting Star Bow Ceal"
    and 1x "Insect Knight"

And I'll just put them in my deck, because they're cards that I've used before and I like a lot.

Should I avoid that?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    When I'm making a deck, I just find a bunch of my best cards that I've used before and throw them together.

1x "The Creator"
    1x "Space Mambo"
    1x "Nightmare Wheel"
    1x "Archfiend Soldier"
    and 1x "Insect Knight"

And I'll just put them in my deck, because they're cards that I've used before and I like a lot.

Should I avoid that?
    yes. You definitely want a structured theme running in your deck, otherwise there isn't any strategy to it, and your cards won't support each other.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:

1x "The Creator"
    1x "Space Mambo"
    1x "Nightmare Wheel"
    1x "Archfiend Soldier"
    and 1x "Insect Knight"

Should I avoid that?
    yes. You definitely want a structured theme running in your deck, otherwise there isn't any strategy to it, and your cards won't support each other.

So, if I were to base a deck on The Creator, what I would do is put a bunch of Level Four Monsters with a 1900 attack power, 3 shooting star bows, and a Creator. After I get a Creator out, I would put a Shooting Star Bow on him, and keep him in attack mode while I use his power to bring back the 1900 monsters I used already.

I would throw a bunch of 1700/1800 monsters too, and maybe a few Mobius the Frost Monarchs.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:

1x "The Creator"
    1x "Space Mambo"
    1x "Nightmare Wheel"
    1x "Archfiend Soldier"
    and 1x "Insect Knight"

Should I avoid that?

So, if I were to base a deck on The Creator, what I would do is put a bunch of Level Four Monsters with a 1900 attack power, 3 shooting star bows, and a Creator. After I get a Creator out, I would put a Shooting Star Bow on him, and keep him in attack mode while I use his power to bring back the 1900 monsters I used already.

I would throw a bunch of 1700/1800 monsters too, and maybe a few Mobius the Frost Monarchs.

Just make sure you dig the deck you're making. For me, half the fun's in using cards that not only fit the theme of the deck, but cards that I actually LIKE to play.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:

1x "The Creator"
    1x "Space Mambo"
    1x "Nightmare Wheel"
    1x "Archfiend Soldier"
    and 1x "Insect Knight"

Should I avoid that?

Just make sure you dig the deck you're making. For me, half the fun's in using cards that not only fit the theme of the deck, but cards that I actually LIKE to play.

I've always been anal about using cards that seem too much like those seen in the show. I hate when I get into a theme like that.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    all I have to say is, my Red Eyes Darkness Dragon deck is really fun to play. I love the confused look on my opponents face as I discard all my dragon cards, then pull out my beastie in one move after clearing their m/t zone.

Highest I've gotten him is around 5000, sans equip cards. I always slap on some menevolent nuzzlers and an axe of despair.

also mage power and united we stand were amazing cards. I don't really want to go check and see if they are banned or not, but they probably are.

With mage power you have a prospective increase in attack of 2500, and UWS has a prospective 4000 increase. Put them together at their full capactiy, and you have one fucking strong monster.

Oh shit, what was that card, muka muka? that was the shit

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    all I have to say is, my Red Eyes Darkness Dragon deck is really fun to play. I love the confused look on my opponents face as I discard all my dragon cards, then pull out my beastie in one move after clearing their m/t zone.

Highest I've gotten him is around 5000, sans equip cards. I always slap on some menevolent nuzzlers and an axe of despair.

also mage power and united we stand were amazing cards. I don't really want to go check and see if they are banned or not, but they probably are.

With mage power you have a prospective increase in attack of 2500, and UWS has a prospective 4000 increase. Put them together at their full capactiy, and you have one fucking strong monster.

Oh shit, what was that card, muka muka? that was the shit

Now there's Enraged Muka Muka, which gets increased by like 500 for every card.

I forget.

My favorite card has got to be Treeborn Frog. It's so fucking cool looking.

Favorite card to use is The Creator, slap a Star Bow on him, and have him dominate while I bring back the stuff I sacrificed for him.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Just as a heads up, Mage and United are both unbanned, but are restricted to one. UWS got banned for a bit, but it is back now.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    oh shit creator went sooo welll with my reasoning deck
    SOO WELL

Kusuguttai on