As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW]More dots, more dots.... okay stop dots (Warlock thread)

• SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's some math on the Elitistjerks forums for that but I can't exactly recall the details. Basically the Skyfire Diamond pulls ahead when your Shadow dmg breaks a certain point, so you may want to head over for more details.

As for T5, it's good. Draws close to FSW for damage, and has tons of spellhit and stamina to boot. It's where you should start replacing your FSW set if you're using it. Sadly for me though, the class leader in my guild has enough DKP to get the entire T5 before I can start winning mine lol.

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hat shoulders and chest to look like a goddamn nightmare. wouldnt take it over others who need upgrades though.

Yes, but stats > looks.

And yes, the stats on the T5 are good by themselves, but the 2 and 4 set on the T4 just doesn't seem like it's worth breaking for a worthless 2 set T5.

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone else besides me have no interest whatsoever in T5 in terms of raiding? Sure, the 4 set is decent, but the 2 set just plain sucks. I mean, who uses a pet in PvE besides an Imp anyway?

Our best warlock tried out the "send in the succubus" spec last night. He is wearing almost the same gear as me, more crit but less hit. When we're both shadowbolt spam spec, my usual DPS in SSC besides Tidewalker is 900-1000 depending. He's usually ahead by a bit but not more than 100 or so.

Last night he broke 1400 on Hydross. 2000 on Tidewalker.

Go go tier 5 two-piece?

riz on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I need to see an armory link for that guy, I think that's awesome.

Now, I keep getting a nagging feeling that I'm leaving way too much damage on the table when I raid. My gear right now is mostly Kara and Tailoring stuff, I've got 1110 shadow damage w/Fel Armor, 11.18% spell hit, 2/5 Suppression, 11.3% crit, and the Spellstrike set bonus. Last night on Gruul I put out 670 DPS while cursing Shadows, is that about right for my gear level, or am I behind where I should be? And yes, there were Shadow Priests in the raid.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hydross and tidewalker.. both bosses where 'locks have insane DPS numbers because of SoC, or not?
    I'm usually at about 1000-1100 atm, but when I have 2 T5 I might try a demo spec.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Charus wrote: »

Now, I keep getting a nagging feeling that I'm leaving way too much damage on the table when I raid. My gear right now is mostly Kara and Tailoring stuff, I've got 1110 shadow damage w/Fel Armor, 11.18% spell hit, 2/5 Suppression, 11.3% crit, and the Spellstrike set bonus. Last night on Gruul I put out 670 DPS while cursing Shadows, is that about right for my gear level, or am I behind where I should be? And yes, there were Shadow Priests in the raid.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald%20Dream&n=Immolatus

Is that 1100 with flask/food/whatever or without? To me that seems fine for your gear level, maybe a little low given affliction's advantage on that fight. Are you immolating? Heh.

hydross and tidewalker.. both bosses where 'locks have insane DPS numbers because of SoC, or not?
    I'm usually at about 1000-1100 atm, but when I have 2 T5 I might try a demo spec.

Tidewalker most assuredly. I don't know how Hydross AOE compares because our off-tanks suck so we single-target them still. :\

riz on
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote: »

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald%20Dream&n=Immolatus

Is that 1100 with flask/food/whatever or without? To me that seems fine for your gear level, maybe a little low given affliction's advantage on that fight. Are you immolating? Heh.

Tidewalker most assuredly. I don't know how Hydross AOE compares because our off-tanks suck so we single-target them still. :\

Thank you.

Oh. Wow. That's really weird. His spec was, point for point, exactly what my spec used to be when I first started in Karazhan. It's kind of a goofy spec (or at least it is if your gear sucks, like mine did when I was specced like that), but it took me a lot of gearing up before I started beating my old high scores for Corruption, Immolate, or Shadowbolt.

The 1110 shadow damage is just fel armor, no food, no flask, no oil. And I am Immolating. I'm sure if I could lay some sort of permanent claim to a rock or log that I could cast from while waiting for Ground Slam, and tightened my dot uptime a bit (I frapsed the most recent kill and caught a few stretches where I was too busy shadowbolting to notice some dots had expired), I could bump up my DPS some, but I'm not sure how much more I can expect to acheive without foisting CoShadows duty on one of the other locks and cursing Doom instead (which I probably should do, except I also kind of volunteered to be the guild Malediction bitch. On the bright side, all those Shadow Priests above me on the meters love me).

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    And I am Immolating.

For me at least, I find Immolate a waste of time and mana. I could use that 1.5 seconds to get most of a shadow bolt off which does waaay more damage.

Then again, I'm more crit based than you guys are (shadow Ruin) and my shadow damage is 300 more than my fire damage.

The only time I throw it up is when I won't be able to be casting (ex: silence on Gruul).

Viper007Bond on
    edited September 2007
    And I am Immolating.

For me at least, I find Immolate a waste of time and mana. I could use that 1.5 seconds to get most of a shadow bolt off which does waaay more damage.

Then again, I'm more crit based than you guys are (shadow Ruin) and my shadow damage is 300 more than my fire damage.

The only time I throw it up is when I won't be able to be casting (ex: silence on Gruul).

You really ought to keep it up. With Bane, Immolate only needs to do 60% of a Shadowbolt's damage for it to be worth casting (since it has a 1.5 cast time, which is 60% of a Shadowbolt's 2.5 cast time). For reference, I have 829 bonus Fire damage and 1110 bonus Shadow damage with Fel Armor. My Immolate hits for about 550 and ticks 5 times for about 250 apiece, putting me at about ~1800 without any crits, self-buffed. My Shadowbolt hits for about 1700 non-crit. Once crits and raid buffs/debuffs and all that stuff get figured in, it's a bit more complicated, but I don't think you can crit often enough or stack your damage to Shadow at the expense of Fire enough for your average Immolate to drop below 60% of your average Shadowbolt.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Hmm. When raiding, I rely pretty much entirely on my shadow bolts for the majority of my damage. Corruption just gets thrown up because it's an instant cast, gives really good damage per mana, and makes Nightfall proc.

I mean hell, I've have 6500 shadow bolts on Gruul before (not bad considering I'm in all crafted / Kara / arena S2 gear).

It just seems that Immolate wouldn't even get close to 60% of that. I mean, when Immolate crits, it only hits for around 1100 which means each of it's 5 ticks would have to hit for 560 to match 60% of the amount of damage I could do with a shadow bolt.

Viper007Bond on
    edited September 2007
    Hmm. When raiding, I rely pretty much entirely on my shadow bolts for the majority of my damage. Corruption just gets thrown up because it's an instant cast, gives really good damage per mana, and makes Nightfall proc.

I mean hell, I've have 6500 shadow bolts on Gruul before (not bad considering I'm in all crafted / Kara / arena S2 gear).

It just seems that Immolate wouldn't even get close to 60% of that. I mean, when Immolate crits, it only hits for around 1100 which means each of it's 5 ticks would have to hit for 560 to match 60% of the amount of damage I could do with a shadow bolt.

Don't reckon from your best possible outcomes, reckon from the average. Sure, if you crit a Ruin-specced Shadowbolt while the Imp Shadowbolt debuff is up, you're going to blow away your best Immolate. But, looking at your crit percentage, that is going to happen less than 17% of the time.

Anyhow, I had a lot of napkin math written out, but I deleted it and will instead suggest that you check out DrDamage, and hopefully that will pretty much lay to rest the matter of whether you ought to cast Immolate (or Siphon life, or Corruption). Or just spend a couple minutes lighting up Dr. Boom with and without Immolate in the rotation and see how it goes.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, you're wasting at least one of your points in Suppression, you have enough spell hit that your Affliction spells are capped vs. raid bosses with only two points in it (and you are less than 1% away from capping your hit with only one point in Suppression).

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    But, looking at your crit percentage, that is going to happen less than 17% of the time.

My shadow bolts have close to a 25% crit rate when raiding.
    Or just spend a couple minutes lighting up Dr. Boom with and without Immolate in the rotation and see how it goes.

I've tried that before and my DPS was similiar, but with all the procs I have (T4, trinkets, nightfall, etc.), it's not accurate enough.

I'll definitely give that mod a try. It looks awesome. :D
    Also, on a completely unrelated note, you're wasting at least one of your points in Suppression, you have enough spell hit that your Affliction spells are capped vs. raid bosses with only two points in it (and you are less than 1% away from capping your hit with only one point in Suppression).

Ooo, good thinking. 16% per tree, right?

Viper007Bond on
    edited September 2007
    Ooo, good thinking. 16% per tree, right?

Yes, 16 is the magic number.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    What's that work out to in points BTW? I'm at 168 at the moment.

Viper007Bond on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What's that work out to in points BTW? I'm at 168 at the moment.

12.6 spell hit rating = 1% spell hit.

You should check out RatingBuster for such things :)

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited September 2007
    Hehe the "to Immolate or not to Immolate" debate. Every theorycraft thing I've read, on EJ or the pit of voles official forums, people tend to agree that anyone of any spec should be Immolating, except in situations where you've hit the debuff cap and important things are falling off. At the same time, the aforementioned top-DPS warlock in our raids never used it when he was affliction, only when he was shadow-destruction. But I don't really DO the whole math thing myself. At any rate, when you're doing the raid math on it, you have to also keep in mind the presence of CoE and fire vulnerability from mages.

The new thing I'm wondering about is the t5 four-piece, which seems really really good, but at the same time, my spec has no room for instant Corruption, affliction threat reduction, or Grim Reach, so adding Corruption into my "Immolate, spam Shadowbolts" rotation would be annoying. But worth it, probably? It's kicked up to 10% on the PTR, too. :S

Edit: @ the guy who asked for that guy's armory... he respecs A LOT. Like I would guess he had three or four different specs this week. So when you looked at that it may not even have been current. Basically it was 0/40/21, with the succubus in melee when possible.

riz on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    200 spellhit is the number to shoot for.

As to the immolate debate, all I can say is that I found that it increased my DPS substantially. Given it's damage and casting time compared to shadowbolt, it'd be hard to argue for leaving it out unless debuff slots are a concern or you have massive +shadow damage.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I tried out a shadow destruction build for fun, will test it in ssc tomorrow
    Keep in mind I never have skilled destro before :D
    How does this look for a shadow destruction build?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    200 spellhit is the number to shoot for.

As to the immolate debate, all I can say is that I found that it increased my DPS substantially. Given it's damage and casting time compared to shadowbolt, it'd be hard to argue for leaving it out unless debuff slots are a concern or you have massive +shadow damage.

This guys (the warlock riz is talking about) argument is that he, and everyone else, is going to be getting more damage out of having imp. shadowbolt up more often. Which isn't always taken into account in theorycrafting. I don't know if it even could be.

exis on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, the specific math depends on your crit rate, but I just don't see a 1.5 second cast being worked in would have a significant impact on how often the improved SB crit debuff is up. Especially since once you get the first one, casting immolate stops having any impact at all.

With more than one warlock that'd change, but probably in the direction of the debuff being up more often, rather than the reverse.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    You should check out RatingBuster for such things :)

Got it and it tells me per gear and I suck at math. :P

But anyway, hoooly shit, Dr. Damage is awesome. And apparently Immolate is worth it, Imp. SB not included.

Here is my tooltips unbuffed with my normal raiding gear (i.e. not my FS set for when I need health or my +extra hit gear for... whenever):

wowscrnshot090507033022fq7.jpgwowscrnshot090507033108dw3.jpg

Viper007Bond on
    edited September 2007
    [quote=Viper007Bond;2823123(i.e. not my FS set for when I need health or my +extra hit gear for... boss fights):[/quote]

Fixed.

Yeah, and Immolate gets more worth it the less +shadow you have. I've only got about 100.

And DrDmg is the funmaker.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Well, I can get more hit, but at a huge cost. Right now, I'm at 180. I can get to 198 if I do FS boots -> Ruby Slippers (at the cost of 35 damage) and if I do T4 pants -> Spellstrike (at the cost of stam, int, crit, and 4 set bonus).

I'm hoping the cloak off Prince drops tomorrow/tonight as that means I think I'll be hit capped (or close) and can get rid of some of my +hit gems.

Viper007Bond on
  • Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The only thing i would change is the searing pain and nether protection. I mean you arent going to be using searing pain at all... atleast i would hope not. Toss it into the improved immolate, since that should be in your rotation anyways.

I knowwww people say dont, but do use immolate anyways. May as well.

Thomase1984 on
    edited September 2007

The only thing i would change is the searing pain and nether protection. I mean you arent going to be using searing pain at all... atleast i would hope not. Toss it into the improved immolate, since that should be in your rotation anyways.

I knowwww people say dont, but do use immolate anyways. May as well.

Yeah, what he said.

Except I'm still torn on Immolate but can't be arsed to test it out or learn how to do math.

riz on
  • SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Our warlocks dont use immolate due to our raid constantly reaching the debuff limit, immolate is a rather low dps spell it seems a waste to use a debuff slot for it.

Samoris on
    edited September 2007
    + I have much +shadow.. about 350 or so (although I exchanged two of the frozen shadowweave pieces for gear with to hit)
    I was pondering about imp immolate though, of course. It's just that when I NEVER use it, any point in it is worthless.
    And you DO have to include imp sb when calculating SB damage, because it's on a boss about 80% of the time with three destro locks

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited September 2007
    People, look at the DrDmg screens posted above. With like, +200 shadow damage or less and assuming it ticks out, you should always, always be casting immolate. Probably it takes more +shadow than that to make it not worth it, since it's a short cast and the DoT can still be ticking when you're running around. It also takes advantage of imp. scorch, which will almost always be up if you have fire mages.

If you're the only warlock, Immolate won't impact how often Imp. SB is up, and with 2-3 warlocks it shouldn't make very much difference.

I haven't looked on elitist jerks to see if they've worked out the point that +hit gets more efficient at increasing DPS than +dmg, but I suspect you don't need to get very much +dmg to get there. The way I look at it is, at around 1000 +dmg at 150 or so hit, it's a lot easier to get 3% more DPS by stacking the rest of the +hit you need than it is by adding a ton more spelldamage. Also, spellhit helps you not get resists at awkward times when you're in a utility role.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2007
    yeah the screenshots basically say same damage, shorter cast time
    I think I'll respec to this
    edit: or maybe 5/5 emberstorm instead of cataclysm? hmm

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Edit: @ the guy who asked for that guy's armory... he respecs A LOT. Like I would guess he had three or four different specs this week. So when you looked at that it may not even have been current. Basically it was 0/40/21, with the succubus in melee when possible.

Couple days late, but that was me, and, yes, I was looking at his Demo Tactics/Ruin build when I clicked the link. It was point for point exactly what I specced to immediately upon dinging 70, and it lasted me through the first few weeks of learning Kara, when I specced out of it after counting out how much primal water I was going to have to farm to get the full Frozen Shadoweave. I kind of liked it back when my gear was awful, because it gave me like 200 free spell damage and +10% all purpose damage (pre-DT nerf, that is). Farming in it was terrible, though, compared to Affliction, and once I got some real gear the build seemed to get worse and worse in comparison (though after I did the switch my damage dealt over the course of a 5-man took a prettty steep dive and I sorely missed the MD imp bonus whenever I didn't have a paladin around).

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Raiding is funny these days, we have arcane mages running around and people sending succubi in to melee and doing top DPS... Our remaining affliction locks still do very good DPS, but stuff on EJ leads me to believe that there becomes more of a gap with BT/Hyjal gear.

riz on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shadowbolt scales better than DoTs. UA is really good when you're just starting, but as your gear improves, many people seem to be gravitating to Shadowbolt spam. Just like MC of old.

silence1186 on
  • zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Raiding is funny these days, we have arcane mages running around and people sending succubi in to melee and doing top DPS... Our remaining affliction locks still do very good DPS, but stuff on EJ leads me to believe that there becomes more of a gap with BT/Hyjal gear.

I'm in a SSC guild now, & all their warlocks are along the lines of a 0/21/40 build. They only respec affliction for Vashj attempts, but they'll respec right afterwards.

I'm affliction now, & I still can keep up with their destruction locks, which depends on if they get the shadowpriest/shaman group or not (our damage gear is about equal, they have a little more). Well, a few of them are doing it wrong. Hey, they complained about going OOM during a raid. At the raid leader.

I know a few guilds who are in BT now, they only have one affliction warlock & the rest go destruction. I'm starting to wonder in later instances, if affliction isn't that great.

I like affliction lots too. ~_~

zagi on
    edited September 2007
    zagi wrote: »

I'm in a SSC guild now, & all their warlocks are along the lines of a 0/21/40 build. They only respec affliction for Vashj attempts, but they'll respec right afterwards.

I'm affliction now, & I still can keep up with their destruction locks, which depends on if they get the shadowpriest/shaman group or not (our damage gear is about equal, they have a little more). Well, a few of them are doing it wrong. Hey, they complained about going OOM during a raid. At the raid leader.

I know a few guilds who are in BT now, they only have one affliction warlock & the rest go destruction. I'm starting to wonder in later instances, if affliction isn't that great.

At least if you remain the token affliction lock you're almost guaranteed a raid spot, lesser DPS or not, thanks to Malediction/Shadow Embrace and being able to have an imp out for tanks while enhancing rather than gimping your own spec.

riz on
    edited September 2007
    zagi wrote: »

At least if you remain the token affliction lock you're almost guaranteed a raid spot, lesser DPS or not, thanks to Malediction/Shadow Embrace and being able to have an imp out for tanks while enhancing rather than gimping your own spec.

I haven't had points into Malediction for a real long time. Maybe one point, seven months & four respecs ago. Shadow Embrace...about that, I think I'm the only warlock on two servers (transferred) who bothered to put more than 1 point there. I feel like a nut for having five points in there sometimes. >_<

zagi on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have 5 points in shadow embrace... it seems like a nice debuff.

Casual Eddy on
    edited September 2007
    It's a nice debuff, I just question whether or not it's worth five points to get it. If you could max out at 5% for only two or three talent points, I think I'd fill it out, but 5/5 is too much to work into my build. Especially since I have 3/3 Malediction.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2007
    So... I got this relatively cheap. Before, I was using the warlock t4 head, shoulders and gloves.
    Since I got these, I am using them. Now I want to get the spellstrike headpiece (and pants eventually) for more to hit, but I don't know whether to use the t4 shoulders for the bonus or not?
    Suggestions?

Edit: 0/21/40 destro build

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited September 2007
    So... I got this relatively cheap. Before, I was using the warlock t4 head, shoulders and gloves.
    Since I got these, I am using them. Now I want to get the spellstrike headpiece (and pants eventually) for more to hit, but I don't know whether to use the t4 shoulders for the bonus or not?
    Suggestions?

Edit: 0/21/40 destro build

The T4 shoulders would have more +hit on them if you socketed it right, 2 veiled noble topazes = 22 spell hit (ignore socket bonus). You already have the 2 piece set bonus, you don't necessarily need to wear the t4 shoulders. Though it looks like you need the +hit more.

zagi on
    edited September 2007
    I know. I have about 150 to hit in raiding gear, armory shows my regular instance stuff I think. Still not enough but better than what you see there.

Anyways, my question was basically how good the t4 bonus really is. I mean I love it, but I haven't seen any theorycrafting backing it up :P

SO: When getting the spellstrike headpiece, I would break up the set bonus of head-gloves.
    Should I then use the t4 shoulders again for the bonus or rather those new ones I posted before?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg