As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are their ever any chicks at these things?

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2004
    Ice1903 wrote:
    Luck and inside info also helps a lot.

-Oh yeah, know people.... Thats why if its in a small city, that you've grown up in, you're set.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Ice1903Ice1903 Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Sounds like you already have a leg up on the competition.

Ice1903 on
    ' I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle '
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Uhhhh, you did?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Ohhhhh, Ice wasn't talking to me, but to the post above me. They got logged at the same time....

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    couple questions for you guys:

as a girl, i dont hear much in the way of girls being game testers. my dream job would be to play games all day (since i already try to do that anyways...woohoo!) so i was wondering if there actually are any women game testers and also if there's any demand for them in the gaming world. i know that games usually cater to guys (except for that barbie game that came out to entice girls to start playing video games...i was very sad that day), so perhaps they dont even look for women testers? tell me that they are looking for girls and youll be my hero for the day!

secondly, id love to go to pax but my...counterpart...would rather go to some music thingy. as he cant afford to go to both, how do i convince him that pax is INFINITELY better than whatever it is he wants to go to? any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am at a loss right now. plus, i wouldnt want to go to seattle on my own.

and you all are right, gamer girls are super hard to come by. i know, because i have been looking to befriend some to help hook up my gamer guy friends with. but they do exist. i guess the next best thing is to find a girl who wont be pissed if you stay up til 5 in the morning with xbox live instead of coming to bed with her at a semi-normal hour. hint: stay with her til she falls asleep and THEN jump on live. :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2004
    dreamer wrote:
    couple questions for you guys:

as a girl, i dont hear much in the way of girls being game testers. my dream job would be to play games all day (since i already try to do that anyways...woohoo!) so i was wondering if there actually are any women game testers and also if there's any demand for them in the gaming world. i know that games usually cater to guys (except for that barbie game that came out to entice girls to start playing video games...i was very sad that day), so perhaps they dont even look for women testers? tell me that they are looking for girls and youll be my hero for the day!
    I'm pretty sure that they would employ a female games tester; they just don't get many applications ;) In fact, I think a company might welcome one, since it would mean that they could actually ge tthe opinion of a girl gamer, rather than guessing and making crap like Barbie games ;)

Also, I think the job involves more than just testing; you have to write up reports of what problems you ran into, so I think anyhow, you'd have to ask the guys who actually have the jobs to find out ;)
    dreamer wrote:
    secondly, id love to go to pax but my...counterpart...would rather go to some music thingy. as he cant afford to go to both, how do i convince him that pax is INFINITELY better than whatever it is he wants to go to? any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am at a loss right now. plus, i wouldnt want to go to seattle on my own.
    Booo, go with a likeminded friend; you and your... counterpart... don't have to constantly go places together; make time for friends too ;)

Otherwise, dump your guy, find someone who'll go with you; you've got time before PAX ;)

Just kidding :P

Rohaq on
  • Options
    AerenAeren Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    dreamer wrote:

Actually Dreamer, it has very little to do with games being designed for men. On the contrary, that would make it easier for you. Game developers would love nothing more than to find more ways to attract women to gaming (as women are now the main untapped consumer in the gaming world.)

Developers have managed to reach men of all ages, but seem to be at a loss to lure more women into gaming. If you live in an area with some gaming companies, I suggest applying right away. You will get treated no worse (and no better) than anyone else would. All you gotta do is prove that your a gamer.
    dreamer wrote:

Well, that is a problem. I, of course, suggest going without him. However I realize that being female, you may not feel as safe heading over to Bellvue to attend PAX by yourself.

I suppose it's a comprimise issue. Decide what you'd like to do more. If you feel comfortable going to PAX by yourself, by all means, do so. No reason you shouldn't have that right, male or female.
    dreamer wrote:
    and you all are right, gamer girls are super hard to come by. i know, because i have been looking to befriend some to help hook up my gamer guy friends with. but they do exist. i guess the next best thing is to find a girl who wont be pissed if you stay up til 5 in the morning with xbox live instead of coming to bed with her at a semi-normal hour. hint: stay with her til she falls asleep and THEN jump on live. :P

Well, I personally, have little problem devoting enough time to a girl. (Especially if she's offering to spend it in bed... :oops: ) At least in my case, it's really just about being able to share the same hobbies.

I think most of the guys here are with me on this: We're not out to dupe a girl into letting us play games. We just think they'd be more fun to play together. Few things are as nice as having a significant other who loves the same games as you do. :D

Aeren on
    -- Well, yeah, I suppose I'd like to have someone to worship me. --
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Dreamer-

To address your inquiry about females in the gaming industry...Yes they do exist. Infact one of the developers for the company I'm currently at is infact female, and she does a great job at what she does. Also one of our lead's is female as well. So in conclusion they do exist there just doesn't seem to be as large of amount of females applying as there are men.

So if you are interested in joining this field then by all means follow your interests and I hope you are successful in your endevors.

Ice1903 on
  • Options
    VissithVissith Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    dreamer:

Game companies are desperate for female testers. The company I work for was lamenting just this week about not having any. It's hard to get meaningful feedback on a game when all your testers are from the same demographic (18-22 male). Especially when the game is targetted at 5 year olds.

When I hear people bitch about how games don't cater to girls, I just want to kill them. The reason is that girls aren't involved with it. If there were more female designers, developers, artists, and testers, there'd be better games for girls. (duh?) But I digress :)

Game girls are definitely hard to come by. My GF is a gamer, as is one of my other good female friends. They mostly play slower games like Harvest Moon but also sometimes UT, SSBM, etc. As to finding them, I have no better idea than you .. I thought girls had a secret intelligence network for this stuff.

Vissith on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Vissith wrote:
    Game girls are definitely hard to come by. My GF is a gamer, as is one of my other good female friends. They mostly play slower games like Harvest Moon but also sometimes UT, SSBM, etc. As to finding them, I have no better idea than you .. I thought girls had a secret intelligence network for this stuff.
    They do; that's why they all go to the toilet at once ;)

This is one industry I'd love to get a foothold in, getting paid for doing something I actually enjoy, and feeling like I'm contributing to the gaming world a little ;)

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    It is also posible to convert everyday normal GFs to Gamer GFs. I got very good results recently by buying my SO her very own PS2 startup pak.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Master PeanutMaster Peanut Registered User new member
    edited May 2004
    im interested in testing as well. how would you find the companies to apply at? yellow pages perhaps?

Master Peanut on
  • Options
    VissithVissith Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    im interested in testing as well. how would you find the companies to apply at? yellow pages perhaps?

Look for your local chapter of the IGDA (independant game developers association)

Vissith on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    how? :?

Master Peanut on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Errr, Google it, perhaps? :P

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Well-veering slightly back on-topic [I am so sorry...]; I may decide to go. I've seen Seattle in autumn and spring, it might be nice to see it in summer... maybe?
    It all depends though on money, and eikaiwa schools, and various things.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2004
    FenrisS wrote:
    Well-veering slightly back on-topic [I am so sorry...]; I may decide to go. I've seen Seattle in autumn and spring, it might be nice to see it in summer... maybe?
    It all depends though on money, and schools that teach speaking english, and various things.

When speaking english, it is customary to use english words.

Since you otherwise seem to speak english, I presume you are looking to teach english. Where, may I ask, are you considering going?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    But I enjoy confounding others by using what romaji I know! A girl only has so many pleasures in life!
    If I enjoy Japan, the application to NOVA will be sent rather quickly; from everything I have researched, NOVA is apparently one of the best ways to get the proverbial foot in the metaphorical door that is the Japanese workplace.
    Of course, I could end up hating Japan, and Tokyo in particular, so.... we shall see.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    FenrisS wrote:
    But I enjoy confounding others by using what romaji I know! A girl only has so many pleasures in life!
    If I enjoy Japan, the application to NOVA will be sent rather quickly; from everything I have researched, NOVA is apparently one of the best ways to get the proverbial foot in the metaphorical door that is the Japanese workplace.
    Of course, I could end up hating Japan, and Tokyo in particular, so.... we shall see.

Don't think I could ever hate Japan. Well...just Nagoya but then my blood is literally on it's streets. :twisted: Okay so I know it's washed off by now but still it was spilled there.

And yeah...it's hell and determination to get permission to work in Japan. Only for Americans though. :shock:

And Kozi should never scare anyone. :D He's got a great voice and wrotes amazing music.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Rohaq wrote:
    :) you make it sound as if it were just that easy!!! :shock: oh wait it was, thanks. :D :twisted:

Master Peanut on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Rohaq wrote:
    :) you make it sound as if it were just that easy!!! :shock: oh wait it was, thanks. :D :twisted:
    Well, I could have really put you down with a nasty sarcastic comment, but hey, I'm in a good mood today ;)

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    ya thanks for that some people on the internet are downright crabby. :wink:

Master Peanut on
  • Options
    leiapicoleiapico Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    yep.

not just girlfriends with their boyfriends. and at this thing, you'll be pretty certain they like video games. which i assume is why you want to meet girls there.

i was at gameworks in seattle a few weeks ago and i ran into a girl who was just kind of wandering around with a bracelet. i was with a few friends, and one of the guys said, "what are you doing?" to her in hopes that she'd come and play video games with him. apparently she was hot. and she said, of all things, in gameworks, of all places, "oh, i don't like video games. i'm just here waiting for my parents."
    my friend instantly said, "oh, okay! see you later!" it was pretty funny.

that won't happen at PAX, so you'll automatically have something in common with the girls you meet there. if you start out talking to them about games, they'll probably be pretty amiable.

leiapico on
    katamari.gif
  • Options
    KruleKrule Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    I ain't saying I'm going to PAX for the SOLE purpose of actually meeting a gamer girl (I've met like 2...maybe..not even hardcore gamers...) but it will definatly be nice to talk to girls about things other than money, sex and Avril Lavigne.

Krule on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2004
    How could anyone find a game job in Spokane? There's absolutly nothing in this town. In fact, my fiancee and I refer to Spokane as "the long distance suburb of Seattle".

Unless you two work at Cyan.

In which case that makes me sad. :cry:

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Cyan does write my checks.

Ice1903 on
  • Options
    Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Krule wrote:
    I ain't saying I'm going to PAX for the SOLE purpose of actually meeting a gamer girl (I've met like 2...maybe..not even hardcore gamers...) but it will definatly be nice to talk to girls about things other than money, sex and Avril Lavigne.

On a different topic I know this kid, this friend of mines who is totaly in love with Avril Lavigne and he has even IMed her supposedly and she gave him a shout out at one of her concerts. But that isn't the funny thing. the funny thing is this kid is 17 years old and is making some money at a job and he has no expensis so he spends all his money on guns and knives. And he works at a movie theater so he get's the cardboard advertisements for stuff like Hellboy and Underworld etc. His room is wall to wall Avril Posters with Swords and Guns Racked up on tthe wall. It's a little bit diterbing but still very cool. He also has a really kick ass sound system. It's like and adolescent dream come true. With out the seven blonde maidens. But he is like a samurai. His sole focus is Avril Lavigne.

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Hehe that story is funny and has no real punchline could have been from me^^

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    leiapicoleiapico Registered User regular
    edited May 2004
    Dew wrote:
    I'm a chick and I have never seen gaming or gamers as sexist. Granted sometimes I get bored n tired of seeing the female characters drawn as they are but the makers know their "core target" audience. Same as with anime. But mean cruel "grrls" and the like just piss me off like not much else. They're as bad as the gold digging whores in giving women a bad image.

And I might go to PAX. Just now I don't have money to pay for it plus my own nagging sense of not fitting into the crowd. I'm not "a gamer" by any stretch of the imagination. I do dust off the old Dreamcast n fire up Soul Calibur from time to time and am always losing my poor neglected & abused Gameboy Advance but I don't play anything as much as I'd like. I want to get into playing more. Might have to start scheduling it in. :oops:

i'm a girl, too, and i've never thought it was particularly sexist. games are entertainment; they're supposed to be pretty. the people and environments are supposed to be visually appealing. as far as gamers being sexist, it's kind of inevitable. the vast majority of heavy gamers are guys. i can take good-natured "beaten by a girl!" jokes and be proud of myself.

working at gamestop, i get asked almost every day, "oh, you play video games?" no. i'm just here to look pretty and smile you into buying things.

leiapico on
    katamari.gif
  • Options
    ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Ok Fools.

I got the perfect line for this event. I don't even know why I'm diclosing it, because i just know i'm gonna use it on some chick and some other Fucktard will have already used it on her.

Oh well here goes:

BOY: HAHA! You have a boyfriend! (use best mocking voice)
    GIRL: No I don't! *Flicks Hair* *blushes*
    BOY: Oh really? My name is Steve.

There is no bigger waste of time than talking to a girl for 30 minutes ( which actually requires very little actual talking and quite a bit of feigned intrest) and then when moving in you get the proverbial stiff arm when she finally decides to mention that she has a boyfriend.

My friend Steve came up with this shit , i have yet to use it, but i will. Rember this only opens the conversation with( If your lucky a smile), Wether you actually hook-up depends on how well you can carry a canversation............that and how drunk she is.

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • Options
    MegapuppyMegapuppy Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    All I can say for this discussion is to quote Heinlein:

Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up with the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle merely for equality. For women, "equality" is a disaster.

Megapuppy on
  • Options
    SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Thaiboxer wrote:
    Ok Fools.

I got the perfect line for this event. I don't even know why I'm diclosing it, because i just know i'm gonna use it on some chick and some other Fucktard will have already used it on her.

Oh well here goes:

BOY: HAHA! You have a boyfriend! (use best mocking voice)
    GIRL: No I don't! *Flicks Hair* *blushes*
    BOY: Oh really? My name is Steve.

There is no bigger waste of time than talking to a girl for 30 minutes ( which actually requires very little actual talking and quite a bit of feigned intrest) and then when moving in you get the proverbial stiff arm when she finally decides to mention that she has a boyfriend.

My friend Steve came up with this shit , i have yet to use it, but i will. Rember this only opens the conversation with( If your lucky a smile), Wether you actually hook-up depends on how well you can carry a canversation............that and how drunk she is.

Wow you havent used that gem yet? Well dont worry I wont steal it. :roll:

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    leiapico wrote:
    working at gamestop, i get asked almost every day, "oh, you play video games?" no. i'm just here to look pretty and smile you into buying things.

Funny story. There used to be this girl that worked at the Software etc. in the mall here in Tucson. She was really really hot but didn't know a damn thing about video games. She conned my into buying things several times just cause she was so hot.

SoulFury on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2004
    their?!
    fuckin a'

i hope they avoid you all.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2004
    their?!
    fuckin a'

I'll protect you from their hideous grammar.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Litejedi wrote:
    their?!
    fuckin a'

I'll protect you from their hideous grammar.

:lol:

SuperFlyTNT on
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Okay. Has anyone considered asking a girl along? Chances are, if you know any girl who is even remotely into games of any form, she'll be flattered that you even thought to ask. If she goes, you've got plenty of time to "get to know her better," and if she doesn't? You, my friend, just scored some huge points in her little black book. Besides, do you really think that any single girl going to PAX isn't expecting to be hit on? Seriously. Think ahead, guys.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Vissith wrote:
    My girlfriend is going. She would (85% chance) be going even if I weren't.

You're not likely to find "chicks" at these things. You'll find some obnoxious grrls and some female geeks. If they're a grrl, they're either hooked up with another grrl, engaging in some sort of renegade empowerment behavior, or both. If they're a geek, they're probably spoken for. If they're a geek and not spoken for (the woman of our dreams), you'll never know she's looking :)
    Pics or she doesn't exist

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg
  • Options
    Barenaked_EnidBarenaked_Enid Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Besides, do you really think that any single girl going to PAX isn't expecting to be hit on? Seriously. Think ahead, guys.

I've hired a temporary boyfriend for the event. Now that's thinking!

Barenaked_Enid on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2004
    i'm so glad i'm a snob, so noone in their right minds would hit on me without feeling terribly inadequate.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing