As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wildstar]Old Thread, go post in the new thread

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    really they need to squelch the chatbox. there is literally nothing decent that comes from the masses.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Haha. They have unique voiceovers for each level when you level up.

Cow tipping.

They have cow tipping.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think I heard checkerboard when they were talking about telegraphs.

That would be interesting, to say the least.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Cow tipping <3

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Espers are up for next week.

I like the fact that they have Quake style kill announcements and gibs on deathblows

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I pooped my pants when I saw the replacement for the talent trees. It was like a more beautiful version of the Path of Exile skill stuff.

And possibly next week PvP match between Frost and one of their writers. #DaddyFrost vs #HappyPappy yolo!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    #TeamFrost represent

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    #TeamFrost represent

Word

488W936.png
    P.S. I WANT THIS GAME NOW

488W936.png
    Personally I'm surprised at how fun they made warrior seem to play. I'm not usually one for melee classes, especially the bog standard workhorse of the warrior, but that arm cannon business really adds a lot of flavor. Color me impressed

edited November 2013
    Also, I don't know if anyone noticed but the new telegraphs are basically the in-telegraph cast countdowns that the Secret World used. Bretty good

Beezel on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I wonder how and if the challenges are going to scale when you're in a party. Also, I hope that when the difficulty of a fight scales up with the number of players it'll also scale up the rewards. That would go a long way to encouraging group play.

I think that would go a long way to encouraging actual communication with your fellow player in a "Hey how about we team up for X" sort of way instead of just merely joining a PVE blob zerg and then fucking off back to whatever you were doing before the public event started

I am even more interested now in rolling a warrior as a first alt as they appear both solid, adaptable and fun. If all classes are like this then truly it will be difficult to choose a main.

488W936.png
    Based on what little I know I'm leaning Esper for my first class, but things may change in the next couple of weeks.

Highlights of the talking points on today's stream, courtesy Reddit

Hotbar

You can slot 8 abilities from your Class

Class abilities consist of Assault/Support/Utility

You can slot 1 ability from your Path

Path abilities tend to be out-of-combat utilities.

You can slot 1 ability form an equipped Gadget

Class abilities have 8 ranks you can tier up.

Class abilities gain new effects at tier 4 and 8

Tiers can be raised or lowered for free out of combat

Will have loadout system to save/load skill sets

Final slot for Innate Abilitiy which cannot be changed

Open World

Quests give you a bar that fills up when you complete objectives, more fill for harder objectives like GW2 hearts.

Shared credit for all players attacking an enemy.

More quest credit, loot, and exp the more you contribute.

Kill Streak bonuses for finishing mobs in very short window (about 3 seconds)

Kill streaks, interrupts, and other in-combat feats give short buffs as reward

Buttonpress minigames for interacting with world objects (like repairing tech)

Warrior-Specific

Warrior gets DPS/Tank stance as Innate.

Warrior's stances change how some abilities work.

Kinetic Energy bar (essentially rage) fills when you hit, drains quickly.

Can swap stance in combat, but drains Kinetic Energy

Renown System

Currency earned by playing in a group

Can be spent on housing items and other rewards

Character Advancement

Six-direction passive grid (AMPs)

Directions are Assault, Hybrid, Support, Utility, PvP Offense, Pvp Defense

Support is Healing or Tanking, depending on your class

Get one point every level from 6-max, maybe a few extra

Some AMPs cost multiple points

AMPs contain passive stats and abilities, conditional procs, and active skills.

AMP lines exist that require sequential unlocks towards more significant benefits

Respeccing AMPs has a coin cost that scales up the more often you respec.

PvP

Dueling, Arenas, Battlegrounds, Open-World PvP (Alaways on in PvP Servers, Flag on in PvE servers), and Warplots being developed as main PvP Modes

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Watching the archived stream right now.

Everything about the telegraph system looks really really cool.

I want this game.

steam_sig.png
    Some AMP abilities need to be unlocked via quests or other activities.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Glad to hear they are addressing impact. We were discussing this in one of the threads (maybe this one? I am not sure which) and it's one of the things that makes WoW feel so good, the fact that your character actually seems to impact the gameworld realistically. And it's not just your attacks feeling like they actually connect with the mob, it's movement too. Are you just gliding across the ground while a run animation plays? Or does it seem like your characters feet are actually hitting the ground? WoW does this. A lot of games don't. It's subtle when done well but when it's missing it makes everything else feel really off.

The most recent game that I played that nailed impact was Saints Row 4. Movement and combat (hand to hand combat anyway) has wonderful impact. I'd love to see this in Wildstar. I hope they can manage to bring it.

Regina Fong on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Glad to hear they are addressing impact. We were discussing this in one of the threads (maybe this one? I am not sure which) and it's one of the things that makes WoW feel so good, the fact that your character actually seems to impact the gameworld realistically. And it's not just your attacks feeling like they actually connect with the mob, it's movement too. Are you just gliding across the ground while a run animation plays? Or does it seem like your characters feet are actually hitting the ground? WoW does this. A lot of games don't. It's subtle when done well but when it's missing it makes everything else feel really off.

The most recent game that I played that nailed impact was Saints Row 4. Movement and combat (hand to hand combat anyway) has wonderful impact. I'd love to see this in Wildstar. I hope they can manage to bring it.

It was brought up (By myself I think) in the WAR thread. I feel it's a major reason why that game failed.

Yeah the warrior combat was looking a whole lot beefier from what I remembered from the last time we saw the game.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    It's not a big deal but the huge telegraphs and zoomed out camera feel kind of impersonal to me. I'd really like an MMO as up close and personal as Dark Souls, why won't anyone make that!

• TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    It's not a big deal but the huge telegraphs and zoomed out camera feel kind of impersonal to me. I'd really like an MMO as up close and personal as Dark Souls, why won't anyone make that!
    Can't you just zoom in?

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    Can't you just zoom in?

Yeah but that would be handicapping yourself given how much situational awareness is required with the huge telegraphs and enemies.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Camera zoom level strikes me as the least of the differences between combat in Dark Souls and MMOs.

Glal on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am of the opinion that the feel of actually moving doesn't stand up when you have so many different sized playable races and they all have to move the same speed.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    That's a matter for the animation team to solve. It's possible to make the Chua look like they're moving at a hyperactive sprint while the stone guys have a much more lumbering gait and have them both move at the same speed still.

liEt3nH.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yes, it is possible, which is part of the reason it don't pass the smell test.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    So this is the popular Class/Race breakdown being theorized currently

Human/Cassian
    Warrior
    Esper
    Spellslinger
    Stalker
    *redacted
    *redacted

Granok
    Warrior
    *redacted
    *redacted

Draken
    Warrior
    Spellslinger
    Stalker

Aurin
    Esper
    Spellslinger
    Stalker
    *redacted

Chua
    Esper
    Spellslinger
    *redacted
    *redacted

Mordesh
    Warrior
    Spellslinger
    Stalker
    *redacted

Mechari
    Warrior
    Stalker
    *redacted
    *redacted

I hope that Mechari one is true. Every race having four classes to pick from is a decent amount and would be the next best thing for me if they are adamant that they want to respect the lore and have some classes and some races be incompatible.

I suppose it makes sense that a Mechari cannot use mind magic like an Esper or a Spellslinger, but still. They even said in the stream this Sat that everyone should be able to pick what they want and not have to worry about being gimped or restricted by stats or racial abilities. They need to back that up.

Mechari Engineer all the way.

488W936.png
    I will also say that every race needs four. Granok and Draken should be equal there too and have four.

488W936.png
    The restrictions will just seem even more dumb when they eventually loosen the restrictions later and allow some previously unallowed combinations.

Which is inevitable

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    you can't be a rogue with hooves it doesn't make sense

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Limiting race/class can mean that they can spend more time making sure animations and armour looks good for each race/class combination in the short term.

I only really care about class/race restrictions in a moral sense (for lack of a better way of putting it) since I always play humans anyway.

J. Gaffney had touched on race breakdowns and faction population. I can't pull up the exact quote since I'm on my phone currently, but he stated that the major reason they went with a human on both factions was because of the data they pulled from past games revealing that when given the option the vast majority of players would pick that. He said his belief was that the only reason early WoW populations were skewed so heavily in favor of the Alliance was due to people "not wanting to play on the faction full of monsters"

I hope I'm paraphrasing it right because what he said really made a lot of sense.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Beezel wrote: »
    J. Gaffney had touched on race breakdowns and faction population. I can't pull up the exact quote since I'm on my phone currently, but he stated that the major reason they went with a human on both factions was because of the data they pulled from past games revealing that when given the option the vast majority of players would pick that. He said his belief was that the only reason early WoW populations were skewed so heavily in favor of the Alliance was due to people "not wanting to play on the faction full of monsters"

I hope I'm paraphrasing it right because what he said really made a lot of sense.

Racial popularity is directly correlated with how human the race is... and how sexy the females look.

Edit: Based on this, I predict the following rough popularity of the various races:
    Dominion: Cassian, Draken, Mechari, Chua
    Exile: Human, Aurin, Granok, Mordesh

Cavears: Mechari awesomeness may push them up, and I may be underestimating the appeal of undead. Space bunny chicks, however, are a shoe-in.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.