As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotels for Aus 2014

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
So due to PAX Aus 2014 being so close to other events in Melbourne, it appears that the discount hotel site is already up!

http://conferences.ozaccom.com.au/2014/pax14/index.aspx

source

• Options
    edited October 2013
    That site hopefully does not have a comprehensive list, considering it only has 4 hotels right now... >.> I'm assuming more will get added later (just working off the links).

zerzhul on
  • Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    Is it weird I am about to book a room for over a year from now? lol

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    jjjewels wrote: »
    I kind of feel the same way. A year in the future for a room.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »
    jjjewels wrote: »
    I kind of feel the same way. A year in the future for a room.

It feels so odd. I mean the Pax East site hasn't even updated its date and that's in April. We went from full-on Pax East planning to now looking forward to Australia!

• Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that many more will be added to be honest. I've done a quick check with some of the hotels directly for the weekend, most have very limited or no capacity left already. This may be because of block bookings going in for the planned events, but I figure if they were booked for the PAX block, they would already be available on the PAX hotel site. Just in case I've grabbed a room from one of the 4 available, the cancellation is pretty good if a better rate comes up later.

• Options
    Yeah, I sort of said what I said with not a ton of information :P I talked to some folks that are familiar with the Melbourne con scene and they think the same thing, that this will be it. Apparently those 4 places have a ton of space available.

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    From what I have been told the Melbourne Cup is the following week(On Tuesday)...sooo I'm not sure much else will get added. It is supposed to be a huge event that draws hundreds of thousands. :/

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Hey folks, Hilton South Wharf is part of MCEC and,can be booked online through main Hilton site, rooms start at $204 pernight prepaid upfront no changes allowed. Myself and a lot of other cosplayers are already booked in :)

• Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Strange, when I go to the Hilton Site it won't let me book for the PAX weekend, the latest available is the 23rd Oct.

edit: Hmm, going through the hilton Melbourne (hiltonmelbourne.com.au) page lets me extend the dates to the right period, very strange.

MagnusCarter on
  • Options
    YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    FYI - We've bulk booked hundreds of accommodation that's available through that link, whose prices are locked at that rate.

I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I can recommend Ibis Hotel on Little Bourke. Stayed there last PAX and a time I was in Melbourne before that. Great location right next to Southern Cross Train Station (which includes the shuttle bus terminal that goes to and from the airport) and the tram lines, nice rooms, and pretty cheap.

• Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    I booked at the Hilton.

• Options
    MrsQ_ozMrsQ_oz Registered User new member
    We have 2 adults, 3 children going so it is hard to get affordable hotel as only 4 per room. We booked accommodation through stayz.com.au for 2013 and used them again for 2014 as soon as the dates were advertised - even before we had the tickets just to make sure we had accommodation!!!!!

The kids loved 2013 one so much this is our new annual holiday. :D

• Options
    NoonooNoonoo Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    MrsQ_oz wrote: »
    We have 2 adults, 3 children going so it is hard to get affordable hotel as only 4 per room. We booked accommodation through stayz.com.au for 2013 and used them again for 2014 as soon as the dates were advertised - even before we had the tickets just to make sure we had accommodation!!!!!

The kids loved 2013 one so much this is our new annual holiday. :D

Best parents ever !

• Options
    SlymonkSlymonk Registered User regular
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    From what I have been told the Melbourne Cup is the following week(On Tuesday)...sooo I'm not sure much else will get added. It is supposed to be a huge event that draws hundreds of thousands. :/
    Typically it's 100-110k people on Cup day, it's a public holiday in Victoria which means a lot of people take leave on the Monday and make a long weekend out of it. Definitely lock in a booking as soon as you can.

• Options
    portrulesportrules Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Last trip to Melbourne I stayed at hotel ibis on little burke street saving basically $50 on the hotels listed for the pax event from the organizers.

portrules on
  • Options
    reneguagereneguage Registered User regular
    Im currently negotiating a deal with Bayview Eden, which is located juat outside melbourne CBD.
    The current rate offered is $185AUD per night, I've made available 50 rooms. Not sure what people are paying but I know things in the city proper can be very pricey.
    I'll either try to negotiate the price down or try for free buffet breakfast.
    If people are interested and the price seems reasonable let me know and I'll confirm pricing and booking information

• Options
    SeblySebly Registered User new member
    Anyone have any other recommendations? I was thinking about trying to rent a service apartment but they seem quite expensive.

• Options
    zwayhowderzwayhowder SydneyRegistered User regular
    I just booked at Great Southern Hotel for $120 per night for a room with a bed and a shower, which frankly is all I need. It's a 5 minute walk to the convention centre.

Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • Options
    GenzumeGenzume Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is this the proper thread to post if I'm looking for a room? I was thinking about trying airbnb (although they said they dont book that far in advance). Hoping someone already got a room and has an extra bed(s). I'm an American traveling over for 3 weeks to train with the local circus and hit up PAX Aus. Looking to make friends.

• Options
    minty737minty737 Sunshine CoastRegistered User regular
    We (2) have booked a room at Hotel Sophia. It will be a bit of a walk or a tram ride to PAX or the city, but the price is a lot lower than the discounted hotels listed. http://www.hotelsophia.com.au/
    It includes buffet breakfast every morning too! So we will be well set for the day's adventures :smile:

• Options
    WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    Just advising, I'm actually a travel agent - I'm booking my accom tomorrow and I've found some even better rates through work than the discounted site. If anyone wants me to look at it for them just e-mail me at lucy.wallace@flightcentre.com.au and I'll help a fellow paxer out!!

• Options
    jassajassa Registered User new member
    Hi all,

I've booked a 3 bedroom apartment at the Melbourne Short Stay Apartments and currently have one room (2 beds) still available. If anyone is looking for last minute accommodation literally right across the road from the convention centre, please PM me!

The dates of the booking are Wednesday 29th Oct through to Monday 3rd Nov, and cost is $460 per person.