As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Learn On] Play by post DnD 3.5 intro game

zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
A number of people have expressed interest in learning how to play DnD, and I wanted to brush up on the DMing rules, so I thought running a play by post game to teach people the basics would be a great idea. (And it is. It's great.)

Here's how this is going to work. You want to learn basics of DnD. You've never played before, and probably haven't even seen a rule book. Not a problem. You don't need one.

Play by post is very similar to a simple forum thread, with typed out actions instead of people sitting around talking. This slows things down some, but provided that every is able to use the English language intelligently (a big thing to ask, I know :)) it should become clearer as all the steps are detailed in prose.

Instead of doing this here in OD&M, I'll be running the game at http://www.rpol.net, a site with forum software specifically designed for roleplaying games. It has a built in dice bot, character info, and lots of cool private thread options. Go over there and look up a game under the fantasy section called Of Dice and Men. Register a username, and request to join the game. It's that simple.

Here are the rules. You've got to be new to DnD. This is to get you used to the way the system works. You don't need any books, but a copy of the Player's Handbook helps. For those who don't have it, we'll work together and get you a character. This is all about learning the rule mechanics while still having a fun time. There will be some basic situations setup so people can learn how skills, feats, and combat work.

All that said, this is going to be a pretty simple generic (in the real sense of the word genre) game. All characters are going to be of the classes and races in the PHB. There's going to be a restriction to Good alignments. There's not going to be tons of freedom here--this is going to be one of those classic dungeon crawl type games that everyone learns on.

If you're interested, head on over to www.rpol.net and register. Request access to the game "Of Dice and Men" under the Fantasy heading. I'm looking for 4-6 players, and I've already got two. I'm looking for people able to post about once a day (though I may post a little less--there's a certain amount of player interaction that happens without a reply from the DM). Some days there will be less, some more. This will take a few weeks, even a month to really get going. Experience tells me that a short adventure will take 2-3 months real time at about a post a day from start to completion. We can always take it beyond that if everyone wants, but there isn't any obligation. This is just to learn how to play so you'll know how. You can expand your gaming horizons to the Local Game Store, IRC, other play by post/email games, and any other variations people want to run.

Looking forward to hearing from people.

zenpotato on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    :^:

1 post a day does seem somewhat slow...but then, I'm a mod who spends too much time on forums. I'm guessing each of the 4-6 players + GM need to make their post before anything moves on?

Scooter on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    :^:

1 post a day does seem somewhat slow...but then, I'm a mod who spends too much time on forums. I'm guessing each of the 4-6 players + GM need to make their post before anything moves on?

1 post a day is pretty average and makes sense. A lot of people play in multipule games and this makes it easy. As well, sometimes you do need to wait for other players to take action.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Not always. There's also quite a bit of information you can pack in a post. You can give some simple variables in if/then statements and things like that.

The 1 post a day thing is mostly on my end--having to type up more than 500 word post a day as well as keep up with stuff going on through private messages and the like is pretty time consuming, and I don't have time to devote more than an hour or so of this a day. When things are going slow, I imagine there will be more than one post a day on my front. Once a day really isn't as slow as it can seem. It's a requirement, not a limit, so if all the players want to move faster, then we can most days. There are games out there that move a lot faster, and a few that move slower. I find 1/day with some give and take works out pretty well.

zenpotato on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Request sent. And 1/day works because I can spend all day at work thinking it up then post :)

I don't have a handbook though*used to, but it was borrowed and my friend wanted it back*

A few months is good because that'll give us time to soak it up, interact, and learn to love our first characters.

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2006
    Here's something of a poll question--which do you think is a better method of determining stats, point buy or rolling? I've always been really fond of rolling stats. It just somehow seems like the classic way to play, and for a first game I want to keep that classic feel.

On the other hand, point buy is infinitely more balanced though less fun. Anyone have any opinions about which is easier to learn on? I'm strongly leaning towards 3d6x7 drop the lowest and arrange to suit.

Edit: We've already got 4 players signed up, so spots are filling up fast. If you're interested, sign up soon. I may stretch the 4-6 to 7, but any more than that quickly gets hard to do when playing by post.

zenpotato on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Roll them. Varied stats make for good play, and low stats are good roleplaying opportunities.

Aroused Bull on
    edited September 2006
    Point buy. Keeps everyone on the same level. That way no one overshadows anyone else. YOu wont have to worry about the guy with 4 charisma, or 4 int, or some other stupidly low score as well.

It also gives players an apreciation for higher stats, as 4d6 drop lowest generates stats in a wider array than the typical point buy.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited September 2006
    I'm kinda thinking of basing my guy off one of my CoH characters, which would be easier if I focus stats like him...but having no idea what I'm doing, perhaps I'd be too likely to gimp myself.

Scooter on
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hi, I've just sent a request as well.

On the character generation, any system where I can choose the value of a given stat, even if it's a choice from a pool. Having to roll for each stat in turn and ending up with the stupidest wizard on the face of the planet is an offputting proposal :D

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I'm kinda thinking of basing my guy off one of my CoH characters, which would be easier if I focus stats like him...but having no idea what I'm doing, perhaps I'd be too likely to gimp myself.
    This is fantasy D&D. I wouldn't do that. Think up a good, original character that fits the setting.

Aroused Bull on
    edited September 2006
    Chrysis wrote:
    Hi, I've just sent a request as well.

On the character generation, any system where I can choose the value of a given stat, even if it's a choice from a pool. Having to roll for each stat in turn and ending up with the stupidest wizard on the face of the planet is an offputting proposal :D
    Normally, when you roll, you roll the stats first and then assign them to whatever characteristic you want.

Aroused Bull on
    edited September 2006
    Normally, when you roll, you roll the stats first and then assign them to whatever characteristic you want.

That's cool by me. I haven't really dealt with DnD outside of Baldurs Gate, and so have no idea how the character creation works in the normal variety. Baldurs Gate was basically point buy, although you rolled and rerolled till you got the number of points/strength modifier percentage thing (18/00 or 18/50 bit) you wanted, so prehaps not the best way to do things.

I'm also leaning towards a wizard of some description, possibly a sorcerer so I don't have to mess around with memorising things then finding out I memorised the wrong things.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    This is fantasy D&D. I wouldn't do that. Think up a good, original character that fits the setting.

The character I'm thinking of is a 1300 year old golem who fights with an axe. CoH is flexible like that. :P

Scooter on
    edited September 2006
    Hmm. Does it take time for the access to be granted? I still can't seem to post in the topic.

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2006
    Hmm. Does it take time for the access to be granted? I still can't seem to post in the topic.

He has to grant you all access individualy.

ROPL is a flipping awesome tool for PbP games, it allows the DM to create his own threads that no one else can see, he can give each person personal threads.

He can give people multipule characters so they can NPC people, or if they are a shapeshifter, maintain their cover.

it records die rolls.

Its really nice.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited September 2006
    We've got 5 players now. I'm going to start them on the path of character creation, and if anyone else wants in before we start up, they're welcome. I'm going to cap this game at 7 players, so that leaves 2 slots open.

zenpotato on
  • DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hm. Riktor Billias' stats are looking kinda weak there with a total bonus of -1.

Who's the player? I do believe the rules say you can (and probably should) reroll.

Edit:
    That's probably why you mentioned in your own post, too :oops:

DeepQantas on
    m~
    edited September 2006
    I'm Smior, btw. My xfire is dasscoot if you guys need me to post stuff.

Scooter on
    edited September 2006
    Riktor is me, I've just finished rolling up some new and better stats and editted my first message to include them. Total of +1 this time. Probably still won't be doing Heavy Lifting though :D

Looks like a decent mix of classes.
    1x Fighter
    1x Barbarian
    2x Clerics
    1x Wizard (me)

Lots of people with armour and/or big swords to hide behind :D

Chrysis on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Signing up.... now. :)

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited September 2006
    Looking through it with my CoH bias, clerics just seem so perfect. CoH characters get two powersets with 9 powers each, clerics get two domains with 9 spells each. I've got at least one other character who could probably transfer over almost perfectly. Which is a surprise to me.

Scooter on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Any spots left? I'm buying the DnD Basic Game this weekend and me and 4 friends whom have never played before are gonna try DnD out. I'd like to get a head start on 'em.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited September 2006
    Chrysis wrote:
    Riktor is me, I've just finished rolling up some new and better stats and editted my first message to include them. Total of +1 this time. Probably still won't be doing Heavy Lifting though :D

Looks like a decent mix of classes.
    1x Fighter
    1x Barbarian
    2x Clerics
    1x Wizard (me)

Lots of people with armour and/or big swords to hide behind :D

And a Ranger ;)

Just duck when I tell ya too and we'll be fine.

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2006
    And a Ranger ;)

I plan to be standing next to you, and prehaps a little behind, with a light crossbow.
    Gotta have something to fire when the magic runs dry :D

Chrysis on
    edited September 2006
    Chrysis wrote:
    And a Ranger ;)

I plan to be standing next to you, and prehaps a little behind, with a light crossbow.
    Gotta have something to fire when the magic runs dry :D

Just don't expect free refills, I plan on using a bow.

The Muffin Man on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Er....Of Dice and Men just went off of the Rpol Fantasy listing.
    D=
    And I was just making my Dwarven Fighter....
    EDIT: I'm a huge retard.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is this full up? I'm not a beginer but I really wanna play D&D.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • jaardsijaardsi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Shit, I'm totally up for this but guess you're full already? Got PHB but haven't got to play yet.

jaardsi on
  • FrothunderFrothunder Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    I think we have like four clerics going?

Frothunder on
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

As much as I hate Uriel (;)) it might help to have an experienced player. Then they could help explain how a turn plays out rather than us waiting for the DM to come by and explain it.

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2006
    Uriel wrote:

As much as I hate Uriel (;)) it might help to have an experienced player. Then they could help explain how a turn plays out rather than us waiting for the DM to come by and explain it.
    I'm not exaclty very experienced (more of an intermediate) but I've played in a good amount of D&D games starting with version 3.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Frothunder wrote:
    I think we have like four clerics going?

I've been a fan of Clerics since 2nd edition but they've really jumped in popularity as of late D:

I remember the good old days when it was hard to convince anyone to be a cleric...

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited September 2006
    I liked playing a cleric when I played one, I just had a hard time with the spell system in 3rd edition.

I think I'd do better at it now but I'd rather play as my usual two weapon fighter or maybe try a paladin.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really want you guys to get this going, so i can watch the game take place and see if i'll like it.

I played a lot of heros quest when i younger, but never really had the nerve to get into proper DnD etc.

noobert on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I take it that there's no spaces left now?

Leitner on
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sounds like there's more than enough interest to get a second game going. We just have the age old problem of finding a DM.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • jaardsijaardsi Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Indeed, a second game is fine too.

jaardsi on
    edited September 2006
    I would DM, only I don't have the 3rd edition DM books, and running an earlier edition would defeat the purpose.

Aroused Bull on
    edited September 2006
    Indeed, there isn't anymore room in this game. The 7 spots filled up quickly, and there have been at least 5 people who weren't able to get in who wanted to. If a second DM stepped up, there's easily enough people to get another game going.

zenpotato on
  • CzechCzech Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'd be up for a PBP, too, though I don't think I have quite the time to attempt DMing. I'm not exactly a beginner, but I've only played in a few 3.5 games.

Czech on