As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Forum Badges

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in PAX East
This is an update to this OP. The questions have been added the the images updated

I bet you thought I'd forgotten this didn't you? You thought that after the buying of tickets and the desperate land grab for hotel space, Kropotkin would have forgotten all about the now 6 year old tradition of PAX Forum badges. Well I haven't! In fact I've been working on them for a while and only now have I arrived at a theme and design I'm halfway comfortable with. Now it's over to you, the great PAX forum community that you are to finish the job of designing the badge to make sure it's the best one we've ever had.

The theme is the Revolutionary War, which was driven by the fact that PAX East is held in Boston. Plus the fact that it's being made by an Englishman makes it a tad ironic.

I based the PAX East 2014 badge on a recruitment poster for British troops during the Revolutionary War. The rear of the badge is a list of PAX forum members that have signed up to play games at BCEC in the defence of their chosen hobby against the rebels. Here are the front and back images:

Front:
PAX-East-2014-Forum-Badge-Front-v03_zpsd284e900.jpg

Back (Final list of names):
PAX-East-2014-Forum-Badge-back-v08_zpsa4697405.jpg

Questions asked at BYOC desk if you pick up a forum badge from there during PAX:
1) Name ONE unofficial PAX East community event:

* Pre-PAX Dinner
* Cookie Brigade
* Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour
* Pre-PAX/Post PAX Board Game meetup
* Pokecrawl Drinking Tournament

2) Who made the Forum Badges?

Kropotkin [Pr: KRO-POT-KIN]

3) Do Gabe and Tycho read the PAX forums?

No

4) Name/Handle of a PAX Forum Moderator?

Moe Fwacky or zerzhul

5) What is the theme for the PAX East 2014 forum badge?

Revolutionary War or British Army

6) What texture does the PAX East 2014 Forum badge front have?

On old worn canvas

7) What flag is on the back of the PAX East 2014 Forum Badge?

British Union Flag or British Union Jack

8) There is a group of PAX attendees that gives out crunchy and sweet foodstuffs and takes voluntary donations for the Childsplay charity during PAX. What is this group called?

The Cookie Brigade

9) According to the forums, it is a general rule that PAX is most definately not, under any circumstances a BLANK service. What is the 'blank'?

Dating

10) What is in the top right hand corner of the PAX Forum crest?

Pokemon ball

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    I like it.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Absolutely great, and who cares if it's a little ironic.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I think it's cool

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    I absolutely love the design!

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Luv it! count me in!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • killer6699killer6699 Registered User regular
    I'm rather new to all this stuff, although I've been to the last two PAX Easts. Could anyone fill me in on what this is?

• A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    This looks great, the British will be so annoyed!

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Cool idea. I like the design so far. Although you added an extra day onto the convention :) Not that I would complain.

@killer6699 http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Forum_Badge

pureval on
  • VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    This is pretty neat! Awesome job! The Revolutionary War is, in my opinion, over taught at least in my area.

• scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    This...is...awesome. Another fantastic job, kropotkin!

sig.php?id=222
  • grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    Perfect. Very fitting seeing as it was an all out war to get passes and hotels. :)

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    Great job on this kropotkin! count me in for one :)

0j92muX.png
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    I think this is an awesome design, @kropotkin. Thanks for doing this again!

A few suggestions:

You might want to go with the full, proper name of the convention center: Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. Doing so would fit well with the formal style of the rest of the writing.

And the PAX East logos make the design a tad busy, plus I wonder if it's legally okay to use them.

• upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    Awesome!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Awesome as always @kropotkin!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    @Kropotkin I was waiting for this thread. It looks awesome! I love it. Count me in on the badge, although my name is already on the back ;) .

@Raughn I think legally it would be fine. It's not like he's selling them so I believe he is free to use the logo. I personally like the logo's in the background. I think it looks nice!

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    I would pay to get this badge, thats how awesome it is!

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I like it so far. But you always come up with good ideas. Can you refresh my memory, though. I've always picked mine up at the Pre-PAX dinner, but since I couldn't get a hotel for thur or fri, I wont be able to go. Where else will you be able to pick one up on Sat. or Sun.?

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Great idea really liking it but sadly I don't see my name (hoping this is an oversight or merely early in the mockup ... (feeling of sadness and isolation settling over me) :'(:'(

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2013
    Raughn wrote: »
    And the PAX East logos make the design a tad busy, plus I wonder if it's legally okay to use them.
    It has not been an issue in the past, since they are free and the logo is not in the foreground.
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I like it so far. But you always come up with good ideas. Can you refresh my memory, though. I've always picked mine up at the Pre-PAX dinner, but since I couldn't get a hotel for thur or fri, I wont be able to go. Where else will you be able to pick one up on Sat. or Sun.?
    You can pick one up at the BYOC desk. You do not need to be a BYOCer in order to do this.
    aBByNormaL wrote: »
    Great idea really liking it but sadly I don't see my name (hoping this is an oversight or merely early in the mockup ... (feeling of sadness and isolation settling over me) :'(:'(
    This is definitely just a mockup, the names for the back are collected via who has participated in this thread.

zerzhul on
  • TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    It looks amazing - I support this endeavor! :)

PAX West 2016: Badges [x] Pre-PAX Dinner: [x] TWDT: [x] Slytherin DE House Elf Cookies baked for Cookie Brigade: TBD August 2016
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Looking good! :D

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I like it, Kropotkin! Well done. If I may be so bold, I have some suggestions:

Whenever I see pictures of documents from this era, there's portions that are typed out, and then there are portions that are handwritten in a script font (usually filling in dates, ie: http://p2.la-img.com/218/10633/2531233_1_l.jpg). Then again, if this is a recruitment poster, I imagine everything would probably be typed in advance. If so, then perhaps editing the logo on the front to have "extraneus es amicitia" with the script font would work.

Also, any abbreviated words, in my opinion, should be fully spelled out (PAX = Penny Arcade Exposition, between the dates of 11-14th April 2014 = between the eleventh and fourteenth days of April, Twenty-Fourteen [or Two Thousand Fourteen]). If you still opt for the abbreviated date, the documents I am looking at show the americanized version of MM/DD/YYYY, rather than the euro DD/MM/YYYY.

Long "s" letters actually appear as "ſ" in revolutionary documents. So "disposed" would read "diſpoſed", "members" would be "memberſ", etc. (reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s).

I can't tell if "defence" was spelled "defenſe" by this time in America or not, but the Declaration of Independence uses the spelling of "honor" so it's possible that the Anglo-French version of "defenſe" was also in use by this time.

Both able-bodied and well-disposed would be hyphenated.

Woah.. looking back over my post, you'd think I was bashing the crap out of it. Sorry, I love it. I got obsessed with authenticity when I should have just said "I like it, hope to see my name on it" ..

vttym on
  • KaladinKaladin Western NYRegistered User regular
    I love it!

• KomiKomi Registered User regular
    Mygod. That looks delicious in more ways than one, can't wait to see the final outcome!

Also raising my hand for my name on it early. Because otherwise I'll forget.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    Very cool as always @Kropotkin. Looking forward to adding this one to my wall.

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    Excellent idea this year.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    This has been a rough year seeing as I'm British and taking AP US history. It just got even rougher with this but I do like the irony behind it as well as when PAX comes around the irony of me wearing it will be pretty good.

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Do any Boston locals know what would have been where the BCEC was during colonial times? It might be interesting to put whatever was there at the time (if anything) instead.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
    Rhiley wrote: »
    Do any Boston locals know what would have been where the BCEC was during colonial times? It might be interesting to put whatever was there at the time (if anything) instead.
    I am not a local, but I am 99% sure that the answer is water.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Rhiley wrote: »
    I am not a local, but I am 99% sure that the answer is water.

It was indeed water. Most of the South Boston Waterfront area is reclaimed land.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    Which just makes the comparison of the BCEC to a great ship that much more correct ;)

• EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    Love it, looks fantastic as always. Great work good sir!

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Looks great to me! I love the weathered parchment look.

• RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    miker525 wrote: »
    @Raughn I think legally it would be fine. It's not like he's selling them so I believe he is free to use the logo. I personally like the logo's in the background. I think it looks nice!

Yeah, you're right, after a second look, it works really well with the logos.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    might even consider that period map faint in the background like a watermark

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • teriwynteriwyn Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    This is ridiculously impressive!

• fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    Love love love. Great job as always!

I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Yeeesssssss! Must obtain...