As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Board Game Creation!

TheDoormanTheDoorman Registered User new member
edited November 2013 in Critical Failures
Hello!

I wanted to open a thread to discuss board game design, because it's been a long passion of mine and I'm just coming up to the Alpha test phase of my game. I wanted to maybe stir the pot with some ideas, and discuss the challenges others have made along the way. Seeing all the crazy stuff Gabe gets done on PA made me think of this as my first stop, so I hope we can meld some ideas.

I've created a terrain destruction board game where you use various elemental magic you purchase to destroy or rearrange existing terrain as you hunt for three hidden treasures. It's grid based, 26x26, and the terrain is modular so that it is never the same each play. Players hide their enemies treasures randomly around the board, and between knocking over mountains and forests, you use a Battleship style mechanic to hunt for the hidden Talismans. Not going to get into too much detail, but I am looking maybe for some feedback from the community, either in the form of advice or questions on ways that I could use the rules and mechanics to keep the game accessible to the 10-12 age group while still presenting an intellectual challenge to the older board game audience.

I'm bad at throwing everything down in on post, so I'm just going to stop there...and of course this thread wasn't created for my game, so any other designers or people out there looking for peer support, feel free to post something. Penny Arcade is an awesome community and I think this could be a lot of fun.

Best Regards
The Doorman

Echo on

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    A- Don't make a thread to advertise your game. It's frown upon around here.

B- You should take your ideas here.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    A- Don't make a thread to advertise your game. It's frown upon around here.

B- You should take your ideas here.

I don't know if this discussion actually belongs in the general board game groups. Design is interesting but it does skirt the line a little about talking about your own products. If this is just a hobby thing and you don't plan to market the idea ever i think it should be okay.

Still, when in doubt, ask a mod.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453