As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar]Old Thread, go post in the new thread

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Just warms the bleak void where my heart used to be located.

EDIT: J.Gaffney chimes in on reddit on the method behind their madness with these latest beta invites

We need data from folks who have never tested the game before as a control group against those who played a bunch (CBT1-3) and a little (stress testers). Sorry, science :( It's only a few new folks relative to the entire bunch of testers, however - just enough to get statistically significant data.

We will get in stress testers as quickly as feasible given that need though. If no tech issues, we'll expand the beta fairly dramatically this go-round.

For instance, where possible we'll be adding a stream of new testers each week so we can compare the relative retention of different cohorts. That lets us normalize against external influences (the console launches, holidays etc. coming up) to see what retention issues are in-game and which are external)

So where science may be the enemy for wave 1, it is the friend of future waves at least. Once we seed in all the stress testers we'll do all new folks afterwards.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EouWJCO1UPI#t=35m00s

On the left, just off screen at 35 min 00 sec. <REDACTED> Doing its thang with the shock paddles. Body is ready

Beezel on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I really hope that the text they're using for NPC names and what not is just shit because the game is in internal beta. Because it looks like it's from Everquest and it's 1997 again and I can't have that. The general UI like the screen showing the abilities and all that look pretty bad too. Game looks pretty fun in those warrior videos, so hopefully they can make it fun and have the presentation be good before they try to launch.

• Options
    yeah I'm not a fan of that font. Some serious comic sans shit going on there.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Didn't someone mention the UI will be moddable? Not overly bothered by the defaults if so.

• Options
    True, it will be. If they aren't changing it I just think shitty font is a goofy ass thing to draw that line in the sand over if they aren't willing to change it considering everything else they're willing to bend over backwards for.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    In the livestream they gave a quick show of some addon interface. Looks like it'll be very moddable, like WoW is.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Looking at that video, that is some serious vanilla-WoW-I'm-a-caster-meleeing-mobs-for-mana-efficiency killing speed going on.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    reVerse wrote: »
    Looking at that video, that is some serious vanilla-WoW-I'm-a-caster-meleeing-mobs-for-mana-efficiency killing speed going on.

If you mean the vid I just posted up top there, that is the old build. TTK has been lowered since then.

EDIT: Spotted beta keys up on fucking ebay. It's not like I'm surprised but haha, wow :(

Beezel on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    "The UI is very moddable" is not an excuse for having the default NPC names and UI text look like trash. The average potential buyer of their game is not going to be interested in downloading mods and the default UI needs to look like it belongs in 2014 when the game launches.

Like I said, I imagine it'll get updated before the game launches. I don't see a game with big goofy pop ups when you level up launching with that garbage looking font.

• Options
    I modded the font in WoW too back in the day, becauseI couldn't stand the in-game font.

Bonus pic: sheep-shagging.

baah.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah, luckily in WoW if you take some fonts you like, rename them to the default WoW font names, and dump them in a 'fonts' folder in the WoW folder they just take over. Because WoW's default fonts are poop.

Hopefully something similar will exist. Or the end font just won't be bad to begin with.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Damn beat me to it haha. But yeah nuts!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

One small step for Warrior, one giant leap for Nerdkind.

488W936.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Also, font styles are hardly chief on my list of things to complain about, and I don't mind either it or the default UI. It's all moddable anyway, and that is a big plus in my book given how many MMOs have not been in that regard, and what kinds of crazy things are possible.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Triplex Condensed Regular, you are the font for me.

• Options
    Triplex Condensed Regular, you are the font for me.

Googled that, I like it. Kinda reminds me of Skyrim's font.

488W936.png
  • Options
    It's what I use in that WoW screenshot.

• Options
    I can pretty much guarantee, thanks to Skyrim's success and it's use in WoW's mod community, that it will show up right quick in Wildstar post launch.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to play a human warrior.

Caveat: I will change my mind once a gameplay video that isn't warrior is posted.

• Options

• Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    I honestly hope they don't let modding get out of hand like it has in WoW.

Boss mods really ruined the experience of WoW back in classic and made pretty much every boss fight an exercise in which top end guild has better mod authors to give them timers and other utilities on the fly. It's gotten so bad they openly admit to designing encounters with boss mods in mind and many encounters are arguably undoable without mods (classic Gothic comes to mind with it's insane multi-person CCing requirements.)

Auction house mods also need to fuck off and die for how they influence how people play the game (from an economic standpoint.) A guy I played with in WoW ~2 years ago ran my server's entire glyph and gem economy by standing next to a goblin and going AFK while the mods made him money.

There is also just an insane amount of shovelmods that no one will ever use polluting curse and wowinterface to the point that it's kind of hard to actually find good mods on them.

It also worries me greatly that the default UI in Wildstar will be lazy and Carbine will become very complacent with updating it's default UI because of addons.

0liDg.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    CripTonic wrote: »
    Auction house mods also need to fuck off and die for how they influence how people play the game (from an economic standpoint.) A guy I played with in WoW ~2 years ago ran my server's entire glyph and gem economy by standing next to a goblin and going AFK while the mods made him money.

I feel like this is a huge TOS violation, actually. It seems more bot than mod.

Mods like auctioneer that just help with data collection so you can better price your shit to sell or find stuff listed for below market value are not bad at all and are definitely good for the folks that actually want to invest the time to play the market. What sucks about them is that by default they're set to undercut the lowest other seller by like 5% or 10%, often resulting in dipshits listing stuff below vendor value, infuriatingly.

• Options

• Options
    I wonder what they'll do for the Spellslinger next week. Maybe Frost will have a Wild West style duel in the office with Pappy using marketing props.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Work can't end fast enough tonight

• Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    Work can't end fast enough tonight

Damn right.

488W936.png
  • Options
    CripTonic wrote: »
    There is also just an insane amount of shovelmods that no one will ever use polluting curse and wowinterface to the point that it's kind of hard to actually find good mods on them.
    That's just the nature of an open environment. Mobile stores, Unity games, Minecraft mods, Elder Scrolls games, anything that lets hundreds of thousands of people create something of their own will result in a lot of chaff. Blame those sites for not having proper ranking and quality/popularity weighting in search results I guess.

• Options
    As long as I can rearrange and resize UI elements I am good. Everything else is literally whatever to me

• Options
    I survived CoX's POS UI for a decade, I can survive anything.

• Options
    On another tangent, I'm curious if you'll be able to change the weather biome/theme of your housing plot in the event that you want to keep things seasonal.

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    that sounds cool. i think i would keep mine raining constantly

• Options
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Espers seem pretty badass!

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    ... like Professor X meets Green Lantern.

DAMMIT NOW I'M INTERESTED.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

One of us, one of us...

488W936.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm so very happy they added in customization systems... especially considering that they seem to be 3-fold! You can level up individual skills for bonuses, you still have the stat points giving extra bonus thing AND you have the AMP trees.

Very happy with these decisions.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

One of us, one of us...

IM SO MAD I LITERALLY CANNOT AFFORD THIS GAME PERIOD :|

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »

One of us, one of us...

IM SO MAD I LITERALLY CANNOT AFFORD THIS GAME PERIOD :|

LUCKY FOR YOU IT ISN'T OUT UNTIL EARLY NEXT YEAR.

RE: setting seasons for your home - I'm dreaming of a Chua Christmas.

It's terrifying.

This discussion has been closed.