As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/07/23/dev-blog-castithan-charge-pack-and-the-future-of-defiance/
    Our first DLC is coming up and we will be revealing that release date soon…it will not be out this month. Fine, we will tell you that it will be in August but don’t’ tell anyone else.

It was a few weeks after launch... then July... Now August. At the moment I'm pessimistically optimistic, so we'll just have to continue to wait and see.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, glad I at least went in on a four-pack for this during the sale, so I ended up paying $10 effectively anyway.

Kind of shady, but yeah, hopefully it'll be a good thing in the end and get more people playing. It's a lot of fun when you accept a mission and then just sort of randomly meet up with two or three other people who happen to be doing the same one and you tear it up together. More people will mean more of that.

I still haven't experienced one of the BIG arkfalls yet though. How often do they happen?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The big arkfalls are worth rushing across the map for because you get a lockbox.

What is this I don't even.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'm not really sweating the 3.50 but that's a pretty craven move. They coulda waited a couple weeks at least, or just put it up for 10 bucks in the steam sale

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    That's my problem with it. 3.50 is nothing in the scheme of anything it's just that it was designed to make us think we were getting a good deal and rope us in before they lowered it even farther. I'll get over it but it's just sort of left a sour taste in my mouth for now.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Well, glad I at least went in on a four-pack for this during the sale, so I ended up paying $10 effectively anyway.

Kind of shady, but yeah, hopefully it'll be a good thing in the end and get more people playing. It's a lot of fun when you accept a mission and then just sort of randomly meet up with two or three other people who happen to be doing the same one and you tear it up together. More people will mean more of that.

I still haven't experienced one of the BIG arkfalls yet though. How often do they happen?

If you enjoy the collab group thing you might dig firefall as well.

It's pretty similar to Defiance in that way.

Also regarding the whole 'all characters are assholes' thing. In the show does the Mayor's sister ever do something really assholish? Because I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Also regarding the whole 'all characters are assholes' thing. In the show does the Mayor's sister ever do something really assholish? Because I can't remember off the top of my head.

The hooker?

I wouldn't say she's an asshole, just incredibly stupid. As in:
    she probably got herself killed in the season one finale

• imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

The hooker?

Maybe, but...
    I actually think that Stahma just knocked her out, and was halfway telling the truth about the truck to Chicago thing...I think she is sending Kenya away instead of killing her, because Stahma really does like her in her weird, evil sort of way.

Also, Stahma is best character.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

The hooker?

Maybe, but...
    I actually think that Stahma just knocked her out, and was halfway telling the truth about the truck to Chicago thing...I think she is sending Kenya away instead of killing her, because Stahma really does like her in her weird, evil sort of way.

No way Kenya is dead. That was quick enough I'd call it an offscreen death. Stahma did something with her, but didn't kill her. Having said that, she really is fucking stupid. I'm honestly surprised she walked out of the Tarr house alive.

Docshifty on
  • imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    To ask a game-related question: Is there a limit to how far you can develop a character, or can you eventually get all the skills? I'm just wondering if this is the sort of game where it's worthwhile to have alts to try different things, or if one character can eventually do everything?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The big arkfalls are worth rushing across the map for because you get a lockbox.

How do you actually access the big arkfall lockboxes? Do they just pop automatically? I tried going to the "Claim" spot on the purchase page which was where I finally found all my arkfall code goodies. Haven't seen lockboxes show up there.

Second question: I got a sweet, sweet orange infector that is great against mobs and bosses. Does it also damage arkfall crystals? I assume it does, becasuse I'm doing a pretty good job of staying in the top third of the damage rankings in the post arkfall tally. But there's no visual indication that it's doing damage, and I could certainly imagine an ingame condition where it did no or less damage to inorganic enemies and things.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

How do you actually access the big arkfall lockboxes? Do they just pop automatically? I tried going to the "Claim" spot on the purchase page which was where I finally found all my arkfall code goodies. Haven't seen lockboxes show up there.

Second question: I got a sweet, sweet orange infector that is great against mobs and bosses. Does it also damage arkfall crystals? I assume it does, becasuse I'm doing a pretty good job of staying in the top third of the damage rankings in the post arkfall tally. But there's no visual indication that it's doing damage, and I could certainly imagine an ingame condition where it did no or less damage to inorganic enemies and things.

The lockbox automatically just opens into your inventory. Sometimes it'll pop up the guns and tell you what you got, sometimes you just have to go look. Since they're usually blues you sometimes don't notice/care what came out of it.

The hooker?

Maybe, but...

Agreed that she probably didn't kill her. But it is also fully possible that she did.

Also yes, she is an excellent character. The actor who plays her husband is far too hammy though.

edited July 2013
    To ask a game-related question: Is there a limit to how far you can develop a character, or can you eventually get all the skills? I'm just wondering if this is the sort of game where it's worthwhile to have alts to try different things, or if one character can eventually do everything?

You can eventually get all or nearly all of the skills. Ego rank goes up to 5000. Alting seems pretty pointless in this game to be honest.

-edit-

Oh, and trying different builds is as simple as respeccing; which is inexpensive and unlimited. I have respecced my character 5 times and the cost only seems to curve upwards gently with level.

Regina Fong on
    Is there a way to rename a character?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    can anybody explain how synergy bonuses work?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Sad, I just cannot log into Defiance right now. It never actually gets to the point where I can select my character.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    can anybody explain how synergy bonuses work?

Synergy bonuses are based on mods. Like lets say your gun has "Brutal" synergy as a bonus. It'll list the stuff you get if you equip 4 brutal mods on it. You will have to find the right mod types to slot into that weapon to get the right bonuses you want. Both the weapon and the mod need to have the same synergy type. The faction vendors can sell you specific synergy mods and weapons too.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Woo, dodged a $3.50 bullet there, I was pretty close to buying it but thought, "13.50? that's madness, plain and simple! I'm waiting for 10 bucks or less!"

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So my wife and I just started this up. Is there a way to swap phases or whatever we have to get on the same map?

And is there a PA Guild/clan/whatever?

SniperGuy wrote: »
    So my wife and I just started this up. Is there a way to swap phases or whatever we have to get on the same map?

And is there a PA Guild/clan/whatever?

You should be able to group up and then teleport to each other as soon as the tutorial thingie is over.

There is a PA clan, it's pretty dead. If you want to join though just poke @CorriganX with a stick.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    I haven't felt like playing this game lately. I think I will probably shelve it (proverbially) until the second season of the show starts up. It's simply more fun to play when the show is running and I feel all invested in the setting. Even if the game doesn't have very much directly to do with the show's plot.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I haven't felt like playing this game lately. I think I will probably shelve it (proverbially) until the second season of the show starts up. It's simply more fun to play when the show is running and I feel all invested in the setting. Even if the game doesn't have very much directly to do with the show's plot.

I honestly stopped watching the show around the 4th episode. I do MUCH better waiting til i can marathon viewings rather than waiting week to week. But I agree about the game "feeling" better when the show is out. Mostly due to having new stuff to do every week/few weeks.

Also, finally managed to get Stout Tactics finished up (BMGs to 10, ugh) and picked up my Scrapyard Engineer outfit and "Tank" title. Now to continue the grind with Infectors.

Holy poopnozzles 3 hour patch. I guess I should have kept this game up to date. Not going to be getting my shoot on right now it seems.

It looks like they made some improvements to the way that random bonuses propagate on weapons. They eliminated bad combinations like melee damage on things that aren't shotguns and RoF on single shot rocket launchers and sniper rifles.

Couple new things. There are volge events that pop up regularly that are more dynamic than arkfalls. You have to defend an area with turrets against waves for a total of about 20 minutes. I have done a few of them tonight and they are pretty fun when people show up, pretty horrible when they don't, and generally more challenging than arkfalls. They each drop a voulge lockbox similar to a major arkfall box at completion, and grant 4 ark fragments (if you max out on points, not difficult if you were there for the most of the thing, probably impossible if you arrived late). The volge in these events actually hit a bit less hard than wild volge, but there are a lot more of them (a lot).

There is also some sort of open world pvp thing called Shadow War which pops up like a major arkfall in the open world (purple circle instead of red) but if you want to play in it you have to queue up through matchmaking. It looks PvPish. Probably fun if you like to PvP.

Sadly the healing anyone for any amount giving you guaranteed max rewards from arkfalls has been stamped out with fire. I am not surprised, but I am sad. Not going after arkfalls unless I know they just spawned now. It's a huge inconvenience to travel a long ways to get to one and then get nothing.

Yeah, those new Volge events are hectic and fun. I like the one that's in a kind of quarry.

Having to queue for the Shadow War events make sense. I've chased down the circle on the map a few times only to arrive and find nothing.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So this is $5 on steam right now.

Good buy?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    So this is $5 on steam right now.

Good buy?

It's probably got a good $5 of play in it if you like shooters. I paid $10 I think and feel like I got my money's worth.

It's still a game I play on occasion when I just want to get my shoot on. It scratches an itch that BL2 doesn't, because of the flat leveling and non-gear based progression.

The pvp is not terrible, though not always as balanced as it ought to be.

Fuck you stealthy shotgun guy.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So it's B2P I'm guessing? Because I pay for enough subs already between WoW & TOR.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    So it's B2P I'm guessing? Because I pay for enough subs already between WoW & TOR.

I payed money for a new costume because I like to play pretty princess dress up.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    I honestly can't remember what's in the B2P shop. Most of the cool armor that I want comes from crazy cheevos, or I got free from raptr.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular

A lot of the cash shop armor is color variants of armor you can earn in game from what I saw. Is there a PA guild/gang/consortium/what have you? I grabbed it for 5 bucks, I'd say it was a steal for that price. Been crushing through it like a madman lately.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is there any PA presence active in the PC servers? Just got the game and I'd like to pal around with fellow forumers.

So they made some weapon balance passes. One of my favorite weapons, the combat shotgun, got a damage boost.

Ok well these new minor arkfalls where you go inside an arena and get raped by 10 volge bosses at once are not fun.

Even better, when you die and extract it extracts you directly back into the arena, with no cover, with everything shooting at you. There was no apparent exit, I control-alt-deleted out of the game.

What

the

fuck

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So have they actually added anything which would even be considered for my pre-order thing where I'd get the first 5-6 DLC stuff for free D:? I remember the option of being a Castithan and getting their cool energy daggers as a weapon being talked about.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil