As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Forum Badges

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Excellent work as always, sir.

JQ1qRPt.png
  • mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    This looks awesome. I second the folks saying to replace the abbreviations with the proper terms, but otherwise am loving this. Great job!

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular
    Forum badges, huzzah!

• EhefkaeEhefkae Registered User regular
    Oh, that's really awesome! Even as a relative forum noob, I'd love to get one of these. :D

• caerulean_bluecaerulean_blue Registered User regular
    Impressive work!

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Firstly let me thank you so much for the positive comments, they really are appreciated. I do spend some time pondering what theme to adopt for PAX East and Prime and so far I seem to have hit the right tone with them.

Now to address the comments raised. The first point is at no time can the Community Crest ever and I mean ever be changed! I did not design it. It was developed by the PAX forums and at no time can it ever be modified or tweaked with barring changing from colour to black & white. So with that out of the way, let us look at the rest of the comments.

The official PAX logo can be used provided it is significantly distorted and opaque enough not to make the badge look like an official item of merchandise. At least that's what Robert Khoo explained to me back in 2008 when these things first appeared. I have, however, made a new version of the front that does away with the PAX East logo, which actually makes it look somewhat cleaner:

PAX-East-2014-Forum-Badge-Front-v03_zpsd284e900.jpg

Now to address the comments on the back of the badge; I agree that it needs to be more verbose as abbreviations are a 20th century invention. I have not included the long 's' as they were not used in the headline text of recruitment posters for the American army in 1776, as evidenced here:

Revolutionary War Recruitment Poster

I have added an American Revolutionary War period flag to add some clarity as to the inspiration behind the badge's theme:

PAX-East-2014-Forum-Badge-back-v02_zpsc3ef7463.jpg

The names are those that were on the PAX East 2013 badge and the actual names will be collated 1 MONTH prior to PAX East 2014 starting.

As a final note I'm toying with the idea of doing the same badge but from a British army's perspective. Sadly every time I try to work on this it makes me feel terribly jingoistic, which doesn't sit well with me even in jest!

Let me know what you think of the changes in the thread below.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2013
    to clarify on the community crest it could theoretically be changed eventually by the community but that would need to be a completely separate effort from the forum badge

zerzhul on
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    YES !!!! I was thinking I was going to have to send a PM asking about these, but no longer must I worry. Great theme and concept so far and I would love to see it from a British Army perspective since I being Canadian I can relate more to them.

• RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Okay, my opinion has flipped back to where it was now that I see it without the logos. I prefer the new, cleaner look. It brings more attention to the aged paper and makes it appear more authentic. Both look great, though.

• RastRast Keene NHRegistered User regular
    Super sexy as always. Well played, sir!

Pax East 2015: Hotel [X] Passes [X] PokeCrawl [ ] Pure Joy [X]
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    If you do end up doing one from the British perspective, I wouldn't mind having both. Y'know, like that Benedict Arnold guy.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    This years badge is awesome. I wasn't around the forums enough the past couple of years to get any of them, but this year I plan to change all that. Had a few questions on acquiring the badge?

I noticed that some people were asking about a Pre-PAX dinner? Is this discussed in this thread, or another?

Also, do we not print the forum badges out ourselves, or is it just a head count of who wants them, and then we collect them from one person?

there already is another thread for the pre-pax dinner

There's not exactly a headcount for who wants them... Participating in this thread means your name will be ON the badge, but more than just that number get produced afaik. Kropotkin prints them and brings them to pax, along with awesome holders for them as well that fit on typical lanyards.

• NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    there already is another thread for the pre-pax dinner

There's not exactly a headcount for who wants them... Participating in this thread means your name will be ON the badge, but more than just that number get produced afaik. Kropotkin prints them and brings them to pax, along with awesome holders for them as well that fit on typical lanyards.

Ah, okay. I've been curious, but thank you! I'll have to check out that other thread as well.

EDIT: Do you happen to know where the dinner thread is?

DOUBLE EDIT: Found it. HIdden deep in the pages.

NowHiringHenchmen on
  • JamersJamers Registered User regular
    SO GOOD!!! Well done :)

I've never really considered the second page deep...

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dang those look cool, still new here would be cool to get on though.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    I like the cleaner look of the front and think the flag is a nice touch.

PAX West 2016: Badges [x] Pre-PAX Dinner: [x] TWDT: [x] Slytherin DE House Elf Cookies baked for Cookie Brigade: TBD August 2016
  • zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Amazing job as always. The flag is a great touch, and I love the cleaner look. I think the one from the British perspective would be cool, especially for those of us with German blood from that time.

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Love the removed logo look, and the addition of the flag. Thanks for responding as well!

• BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    You're outdoing yourself again @kropotkin!

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    That cleaned up look definitely makes the crest jump out even more. I approve.

• VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    I also like the cleaned up look as well. Makes the badge stand out better.

• Don.BensonDon.Benson Registered User new member
    Sign me up Folks.

• DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    This will be a very fun badge and seems very appropriate. Thank you for putting it together, Kropotkin, it really is great.

I agree with most people on liking the cleaner look on the front, though I do wonder how the PAX East logo would look as a very faint watermark on the back beneath the names. Since it's okay to use in an opaque form, it might be an interesting balance to and combination with the flag. (Also, I know you're using last year's block of names just as an example, but I still like seeing mine there. :D )

Whichever way, I will be proud to game until I can stand no longer.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

Thanks all of the continued feedback. It would appear the British one seems to be actually desired, which surprised me somewhat. So here it is, Britain's call to arms for PAX East 2014:

PAX-East-2014-Forum-Badge-back-v03_zps20fd408b.jpg

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm impressed. Our group has space at the BYOC area for the first time this year. Looking forward to meeting people in April.

Tripleozero on
  • scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    It would appear the British one seems to be actually desired, which surprised me somewhat.

Yeah, this surprises me too. I get the sentiment...but the Boston area is the birthplace of the American Revolution. I like a dual USA/Britain flags idea.

But if the masses have spoken, we shall march on!

sig.php?id=222
  • A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    This looks great! I just don't see my name!
    Edit: I did not realize that you did not add new names sorry!

A.Sabot on
    Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I like the new layout a lot.

I have an idea and it's something I have considered before, but I think it may work this time. Why not have both badges with them being randomly distributed? The names on the back will be the same, just one will be American and the other British. The receiver will not know which one they will get. What do you think?

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    Given a choice, I'd definately take the British one instead of the US one, being British. Have no objection to it being random though.

Another excellent design for the collection.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I have an idea and it's something I have considered before, but I think it may work this time. Why not have both badges with them being randomly distributed? The names on the back will be the same, just one will be American and the other British. The receiver will not know which one they will get. What do you think?

I think it's a great idea, however there are going to me those (such as myself) who will want both...for reasons...and science.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I love the idea! And as gigabrain mentioned, I will be one of the ones wanting both.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Great Job, as always! And I did not forget that you would be doing this. In fact, I have been looking forward to seeing what you came up with this year--and I love it!

I am torn about which one is better. I think the British version is funnier, but the American version fits a little better with the Boston theme. Also, if you want to get rid of abbreviations altogether, you might consider Penny Arcade Exposition.

• JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Being British I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    awesome job as per usual

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    I love the dual badge idea. Totally awesome. Can't wait.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    Thanks for the feedback. I did not consider people wanting both badges, which is odd because clearly for reasons of science alone this would be required by many. I shall ponder whether or not go with the 2 versions of the badge knowing that science will always win. Always.

I also have a 3rd version of the badge that I've been concocting in my during my long sessions of DOTA2 and/or Hearthstone. It's based on an old folk song that was sung by British troops as they trudged from one battlefield to another in the 17th and 18th Centuries. Called 'Over the Hills and Far Away' it goes a little like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeYPpOblAw

I've drafted alternate lyrics that I was going to put on the badge instead of what I've written on the current British badge:

Original Lyrics:

Here’s forty shillings on the drum
    For those who volunteer to come
    To ‘list and fight the foe today
    Over the hills and far away

O’er the hills and o’er main
    Through Flanders Portugal and Spain
    King George Commands and we obey
    When duty calls me I must go
    To stand and face another foe
    But part of me will always stray

Altered Lyrics:

Here’s payment for a 3 day pass
    For those who volunteer to game
    To line up for PAX East again
    Over the sea and far away

[Chorus]
    O’er the sea and o’er Maine
    From Logan to BCEC on Silverline
    Enforcers help and we play
    Over the sea and far away

When DOTA2 has run its course
    I smash foes at Magic with much force
    But part of me will always long
    For another go of Pokémon

[Chorus]

What do you think?

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    Personally I'd prefer the American one if I were to get a choice, but I wouldn't mind the British one either. I love what you did with the song there.