As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

1414244464770

Posts

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The pax badge pin.

    JuicesirKamelonInsaneloon
  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    I'd really want an On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness set.

  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Juicesir wrote: »
    I'd really want an On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness set.

    It has been mentioned to Mike. I think they could do two Sets, one with artwork from the first two games, the other with artwork from the second two.

    Kamelon
  • sanchx32sanchx32 Montoursville, PARegistered User regular
    Has anyone considered a value system for the pins? Some pins are much harder to get. When someone wants a certain pin would it be out of line to ask for certain pins or multiple pins. I know personally I have all the current pins that are out, so when asked to trade my extras, I have no idea what to ask for and I don't want to offend someone when its a harder to get pin like pax aus kemper.

    Got your message juicesir, just not sure what I would want!

    Digital Lanyard

    “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, 1999
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    sanchx32 wrote: »
    Has anyone considered a value system for the pins? Some pins are much harder to get. When someone wants a certain pin would it be out of line to ask for certain pins or multiple pins. I know personally I have all the current pins that are out, so when asked to trade my extras, I have no idea what to ask for and I don't want to offend someone when its a harder to get pin like pax aus kemper.

    Got your message juicesir, just not sure what I would want!

    That's up to the individual, we are working on getting production numbers from PA, but so far the only ones we know are the Limited Edition Pins. If you go by those, one DLC is worth a little over 3 Hanna Pins, and just over 6.5 15th Anniversary Pins.

    In practice, the only value that matters is the one you give it. Trade what you are happy to give for what you are happy to receive. If you have doubts, don't make the trade.

    Personally, I go for 1:1 trades for anything non-limited, and make up the rest as I go.

  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Lol, I figured that's what your post was about. Determining pin value is going to be a big deal. That's the main reason a few of my friends and myself are stocking up on limiteds when they come along.

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Basically, use your best judgement. I think twice I have traded with people that wanted a certain year of a pin. When I look at making a trade like that, I have it in my head that I'll do a swap of said pin (since I don't care about the year) and take another pin almost as payment for my time.

    When I eventually trade my Hannas and a 15th Anniversary pin, I obviously wouldn't do one of those for a single base set pin. It depends on what is available and what I really want. If someone wants ONLY a Hanna or something similar, I'd probably ask 2 or 3 pins depending on what they are of course. I'd prefer to trade a limited pin for maybe a few PAX AUS/Prime exclusive exhibitor pin or something.

    Anyway, those are my thoughts on my own personal trading at the moment. There isn't really much out there that requires like 5 pins for 1 pin (unless you are really wanting a PAX exclusive and someone is holding out, which doesn't seem to be the case at all around here because we classy). So yea, use your best judgement like I said earlier in this post.

    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • sanchx32sanchx32 Montoursville, PARegistered User regular
    Has anyone asked about a possible Pinny panel? Maybe a Q&A for half then trading for the other half?

    Digital Lanyard

    “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, 1999
    JuicesirKamelon
  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Not to my knowledge, but that would be wonderful.

  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    oooooh, or even a design a pin panel! Similar to the create a strip panel only Mike designs a new pin, and maybe get audience suggestions as well

    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
    sanchx32Kamelon
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Juicesir wrote: »
    Not to my knowledge, but that would be wonderful.

    Whilst I would love that, I fear it would be a descent into deep nerdery of things that only interest me, like supply chains, manufacturer negotiation, client agreements, design considerations and such. Is it possible to be a business nerd? Yes. But for me these things are the equivalent of looking at someone else's easel in art class. I know how I deal with these things, and it's interesting to see how others deal with them. One of my favourite Strip Search episodes? Contract Negotiation with Khoo.

    So my questions to them would be things like "how do you approach companies about doing Pins? Does it differ between PAX and non-PAX? How did you settle on the manufacturer? How did you settle on the design for the Killer Instinct box?"

    What would other non-damaged brains want to know? I guess if there is enough interest I can ask Mike about it in the FAQ. Obviously a panel like this would need to fit into PA Design's schedules, so we have the combined hurdles of "Interest required for Panel" + "Availability of Panellists" + "Willingness of Panellists" but if there are enough questions for it and they don't fit with the general FAQ (i.e. They can't be easily answered by a line of text) I shall do all I can to make it happen.

  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Q&A's always have that gentle mix of hardcore, deep nerdery. Eldritch geekiness, if you will. But I'm sure questions of ethics and value could also be asked, as well as a nice brainstorming segment. Points like sanchx32's questions would be good fare, and it would be a good experience for people to meet other traders all in one spot. PAX Prime had a wonderful little impromptu trading session at Benaroya that I really enjoyed fondly.

  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Juicesir wrote: »
    Q&A's always have that gentle mix of hardcore, deep nerdery. Eldritch geekiness, if you will. But I'm sure questions of ethics and value could also be asked, as well as a nice brainstorming segment. Points like sanchx32's questions would be good fare, and it would be a good experience for people to meet other traders all in one spot. PAX Prime had a wonderful little impromptu trading session at Benaroya that I really enjoyed fondly.

    Oh the trading portion I am going to make happen one way or another. Pre-PAX meetup, some kind of trading spot at PAX itself, those I can make happen easily. But a panel with PA Design on Pins, maybe it's a little early. Of course I would love a panel, but I want it to be something that everyone else wants rather than just my idea of it.

  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Juicesir wrote: »
    Q&A's always have that gentle mix of hardcore, deep nerdery. Eldritch geekiness, if you will. But I'm sure questions of ethics and value could also be asked, as well as a nice brainstorming segment. Points like sanchx32's questions would be good fare, and it would be a good experience for people to meet other traders all in one spot. PAX Prime had a wonderful little impromptu trading session at Benaroya that I really enjoyed fondly.

    Oh the trading portion I am going to make happen one way or another. Pre-PAX meetup, some kind of trading spot at PAX itself, those I can make happen easily. But a panel with PA Design on Pins, maybe it's a little early. Of course I would love a panel, but I want it to be something that everyone else wants rather than just my idea of it.

    You can probably do a Pinny Panel if its organized the right way. It wouldn't have to be anyone from PA as a panelist, but it could be some people from the Community, basically just an hour or so long appreciation for all things Pinny Arcade. Obviously this is a long way from happening, but it is a nice thought.

  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can see it happening at maybe the PAX after this next round, but it is good to start thinking about this sort of thing early. We could have people who worked on the Pinny Pals site, organizers in the community. It'd just be fun. ^_^

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    oooooh, or even a design a pin panel! Similar to the create a strip panel only Mike designs a new pin, and maybe get audience suggestions as well

    THIS. This is a fantastic idea.

    edit: But I am thinking more along the lines of the game idea panel (which is kind of a joke panel with prizes at the end). Give out pencil and paper or whatever at the door, everyone gets X minutes to come up with designs. Then people could line up and we get a camera on them and a close up of the design.

    redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    NowHiringHenchmenKamelon
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    oooooh, or even a design a pin panel! Similar to the create a strip panel only Mike designs a new pin, and maybe get audience suggestions as well

    THIS. This is a fantastic idea.

    edit: But I am thinking more along the lines of the game idea panel (which is kind of a joke panel with prizes at the end). Give out pencil and paper or whatever at the door, everyone gets X minutes to come up with designs. Then people could line up and we get a camera on them and a close up of the design.

    This right here! This is a better idea, I think, and one that would be awesome. Instead of having so many people lining up to ask Mike for a pin, everyone having an awesome time coming up with some good ideas.

  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Juicesir wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see it happening at maybe the PAX after this next round, but it is good to start thinking about this sort of thing early. We could have people who worked on the Pinny Pals site, organizers in the community. It'd just be fun. ^_^

    Definitely. Once Pinny Arcade gets even bigger (assuming it will, duh) and the community grows and grows, it might not be such a stretch.

  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So, i got my first trade request from the new community site. An elegantly printed out receipt with trade info. But im not exactly sure how to contact this person, the name cannot be found when i search for it here on PA forums, there is an email which i did reply to but haven't gotten a reply in 2 days. So im not sure if that was the right email or they just havent seen it yet, am i looking in the wrong place?

    My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

    8fuuo_RK.png
  • sanchx32sanchx32 Montoursville, PARegistered User regular
    No idea what happened, I tried to post those a few days ago, they would not go through so I was trying again and again.... sorry for the spam!!

    Digital Lanyard

    “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, 1999
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2013
    They likely got caught in the spam queue, and were just released.

    In general if your post does not go through due to being caught in the spam queue, trying over and over ends up with this sort of thing :P

    zerzhul on
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    So, i got my first trade request from the new community site. An elegantly printed out receipt with trade info. But im not exactly sure how to contact this person, the name cannot be found when i search for it here on PA forums, there is an email which i did reply to but haven't gotten a reply in 2 days. So im not sure if that was the right email or they just havent seen it yet, am i looking in the wrong place?

    The email is correct, in that it is what they used to sign up. If they don't check their junk filters you might have slipped in there. I think patience is the only way to go.

  • VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    I think concerning the value of the pins and trading that a lot of people get caught up on if it's actually called limited or not. While obviously the DLC pin is limited, I'm not convinced any of the Pax exclusive pins ran anything more than a 1000. I think Kris came out and said there were only 1000 Chainsawsuits, and I'd wager the same is true for Skull, LRR, etc. Other than perhaps the core Prime 13 set, I'd say all those pins are just as rare as Hanna. But of course, Hanna has the fancy packaging. And demand does increase value, even if two pins have the same print run.

    I personally traded my extra Hanna away for a single Aus Tycho pin. Admittedly I'd be less likely to do that if I didn't already have Aus Gabe to go with, but considering how few Aus Cores were sold (while I have no official number, considering that the whole pin thing didn't really blow up until Prime, I'm guessing there were fewer Aus Core sets than Prime ones), and the fact that Aus sets have sold for over 400 dollars on eBay (sold, mind you, not just listed at that price), I consider the trade very fair. I know most people have a big problem with eBay, but in the absence of any other venue, it's actually incredibly helpful in pinging exactly what people will pay for pins, putting a clear monetary value on them and making trade value more obvious.

    Hanna is currently over-saturated. Just look at how many are up for trade on PinnyPals, and at least a couple days ago, there were a bunch of auctions for it on eBay for a *relatively* fair price with no bids. While there's no question her value is only going to go up, right now I'd honestly say she's not worth more than a single pin pre-Prime pin.

    Twitter: @vaanrose

    My PINS

    Verbosity is my charm point.
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Just had a Pinny Pin gameshow panel idea for a PAX. It'd be like Deal or No Deal but with Pinny Pins. You unbox a pin and decide to keep it or not. When you come across a rare or good pin the man in the booth will call you to make you an offer for that pinny pin. A game is over when the contestant decides to keep one pin or trade with the man in the booth. Or if they unbox a insta-lose box.

    Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    purevalJuicesirKamelon
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Vaanrose wrote: »
    I think concerning the value of the pins and trading that a lot of people get caught up on if it's actually called limited or not. While obviously the DLC pin is limited, I'm not convinced any of the Pax exclusive pins ran anything more than a 1000. I think Kris came out and said there were only 1000 Chainsawsuits, and I'd wager the same is true for Skull, LRR, etc. Other than perhaps the core Prime 13 set, I'd say all those pins are just as rare as Hanna. But of course, Hanna has the fancy packaging. And demand does increase value, even if two pins have the same print run.

    I personally traded my extra Hanna away for a single Aus Tycho pin. Admittedly I'd be less likely to do that if I didn't already have Aus Gabe to go with, but considering how few Aus Cores were sold (while I have no official number, considering that the whole pin thing didn't really blow up until Prime, I'm guessing there were fewer Aus Core sets than Prime ones), and the fact that Aus sets have sold for over 400 dollars on eBay (sold, mind you, not just listed at that price), I consider the trade very fair. I know most people have a big problem with eBay, but in the absence of any other venue, it's actually incredibly helpful in pinging exactly what people will pay for pins, putting a clear monetary value on them and making trade value more obvious.

    Hanna is currently over-saturated. Just look at how many are up for trade on PinnyPals, and at least a couple days ago, there were a bunch of auctions for it on eBay for a *relatively* fair price with no bids. While there's no question her value is only going to go up, right now I'd honestly say she's not worth more than a single pin pre-Prime pin.

    Part of the "Limited" moniker is the assertion that No More Will Be Printed Ever. All the other Pins have the possibility of reissue at a later date. So even if there are only 1,000 Chainsawsuit or Skull Pins now, there will almost certainly be more in the future.

    What I would love is to have pinnypals.com show production numbers for every Pin, but that would mean getting pretty detailed information from PA, and I don't see it coming any time soon.

  • purevalpureval Registered User regular
    Let's Make a Deal would be a fun Pinny Pal game show too. "Ok you have the Hanna pin, are you willing to trade it for what's behind door number 2? It could be a DLC, it could be Fleshreaper."

    Riokenn
  • twistingbridgestwistingbridges Registered User regular
    (For all panicking about Prime already, @Official_Pax just said that tickets won't go on sale til after East happens. Soo, yay!)

    I personally would be thrilled for a panel on Pinny Arcade--everything from the production aspects to a few words on the history of pin trading (just for context. And not like, "history," more just a few words on Disney, I guess). And it'd be nice to have the impromptu pin-trading that would happen before and afterward!

    Forgive the gush, but I really love Pinny Arcade. My brother and I have been going to Prime for the last three years, and had SUCH A BALL this year--I traded for two East Chandras without much trouble (thanks, Giraffy-pin-loving-enforcer guy/Kristin Lindsay!), and it's so nice to look at my PAX lanyard and see all the tangible memories there (I met Khoo! And I traded a poem to Abby Howard for a Strip Search pin! And climbed/clawed my way over, like, twenty people whilst in line for the Omegathon Final to trade for the Pinny Arcade logo!).

    To keep the brain-squirrels at bay, I'm just going to focus on PAX Prime exclusives and Eyrewood stuff. Would it be weird to have a group that was just about that? It's so insanely specific... I guess I should just do individual trades for any Eyrewood stuff that crops up from East or Aus, right?

  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    (For all panicking about Prime already, @Official_Pax just said that tickets won't go on sale til after East happens. Soo, yay!)

    I can sleep again. Thank the Squirrels.
    I personally would be thrilled for a panel on Pinny Arcade--everything from the production aspects to a few words on the history of pin trading (just for context. And not like, "history," more just a few words on Disney, I guess). And it'd be nice to have the impromptu pin-trading that would happen before and afterward!

    Forgive the gush, but I really love Pinny Arcade. My brother and I have been going to Prime for the last three years, and had SUCH A BALL this year--I traded for two East Chandras without much trouble (thanks, Giraffy-pin-loving-enforcer guy/Kristin Lindsay!), and it's so nice to look at my PAX lanyard and see all the tangible memories there (I met Khoo! And I traded a poem to Abby Howard for a Strip Search pin! And climbed/clawed my way over, like, twenty people whilst in line for the Omegathon Final to trade for the Pinny Arcade logo!).

    To keep the brain-squirrels at bay, I'm just going to focus on PAX Prime exclusives and Eyrewood stuff. Would it be weird to have a group that was just about that? It's so insanely specific... I guess I should just do individual trades for any Eyrewood stuff that crops up from East or Aus, right?

    I think any Enthusiast group could accommodate you there. The trick is to collect Pins you aren't keeping so you have a wider trade pool for the ones you do want. As pinnypals.com evolves it should make it easier to accomplish all this.

    PedroAsani on
  • msuroomsuroo Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Part of the "Limited" moniker is the assertion that No More Will Be Printed Ever. All the other Pins have the possibility of reissue at a later date.

    I feel pretty confident that we aren't gonna see a rerun of "PAX East 2013" pins. ;)

  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    msuroo wrote: »
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Part of the "Limited" moniker is the assertion that No More Will Be Printed Ever. All the other Pins have the possibility of reissue at a later date.

    I feel pretty confident that we aren't gonna see a rerun of "PAX East 2013" pins. ;)

    True. But the other Pins in the Sets are fair game to be repeated.

  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Has anyone else got their Halloween pins yet? Mine came in earlier today.

  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    I haven't got either of my sets yet, but I live a ways away from their shipping center.

  • Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Everyone! We've got our own section of the forums now. So exciting!

    "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
    orthancstoneInsaneloonJuicesirKamelon
  • InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    I was thrown for a moment when I got home and couldn't find the threads, but this is great! I look forward to more specialized thread topics and everything else that comes along with having our own area!

    Kamelon
  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    zerzhul on
    KamelonNowHiringHenchmenInsaneloonRiokenn
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It said DLC was "Available Now!" but no, it's not... heart breaking...

  • vidvid Hot Dog Wizard Registered User regular
    If anyone else has been holding out on the Halloween pin set in hopes of getting it shipped along with the 15th Anniversary pin, take note of the 15% Off code (Pinsider) that can be applied for the next two days. Does anyone have any insight as to if that would save more money than waiting to combine the shipping?

    Let me just get a beep boop on your PAX badge real quick!
    eOKiiId.png
  • KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yay! Love the site and that we have our own forum section!

    Something I noticed: in the list of pins on the official site, you can sort by source and one of them is "Pin Pals". It seems that the term is being used on the site to refer to third parties with official pins (LRR, WotC etc).

    I was thrown for a second because I thought there was some integration with the fan site somehow and it was saying these pins were available by trading with pin pals (which is also true ;)). The little merch logo even looks like the one on the fan site to mark collected pins.

    Anyway, just an observation that the term "pin pals" means about three different things now: pin fans, those in a trio of trading partners here, and third parties selling official pins.

    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

    "Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Guise, I made a thing. ^_^ I'll update it with the fan favorites once we get more posts.

    Kamelon
  • InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Just a heads up, the discount code pinsider works for all pin purchases on the site, and not just the Halloween set. Just in case others out there are like me and didn't already have all the online sets.

    Insaneloon on
This discussion has been closed.