As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny Arcade - Pinny Pal Community thread

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Regarding the "Take a Pinny, Leave a Pinny" idea. That basically happened organically at Info Booth this last Prime as they hosted Kristin Lindsey's pin stash. No idea if it will happen again but its a fair bet Info Booth will usually have some pin traders with an interesting selection and worth checking out.

As one data point, it seemed to gather a huge amount of the lookout pinds (minus the logo) and certain behemouth pins as those were very often used as trade fodder for people. Anyone who sets up one of these needs to have a plan for how to deal with a glut of the fodder pins, and if its to be open for a while, how to inject more "nifty" pins into the pool as time goes on. Certainly possible, and I look forward to seeing them pop up.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I'm planning to volunteer to help Enforce Info Booth at the next PAX Aus. My favourite part of working Satellite Theatre this year was explaining to attendees where to find stuff, so this year I'll try to make that my full time gig. It feels good to see how happy people are when they have their questions answered.

Hopefully it'll allow me to impart some veteran pin knowledge to new Pinthusiasts just starting on their journey. Tracking down PA staff to get their pins can seem daunting, but it's not that hard if you know where each of them usually hang.
    vid wrote: »
    If anyone else has been holding out on the Halloween pin set in hopes of getting it shipped along with the 15th Anniversary pin, take note of the 15% Off code (Pinsider) that can be applied for the next two days. Does anyone have any insight as to if that would save more money than waiting to combine the shipping?

Yeah I just saw that too, but then I realised it will be cheaper for me to wait for the 15th anniversary items to go up so I can put them all together and only pay shipping once. International shipping is brutal.

El_Funko on
  • VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    15% Off code (Pinsider) !!!

Yay! I just bought :

one PA Core Set (2013)
    one Twisp and Catsby Set
    one Lookouts Pin Set

YESTERDAY... Crummy timing on my part!

Too funny- I had been procrastinating for weeks to pull the trigger. We weren't sure yet if we were going to pursue a second collection. I bought the sets yesterday to seal the deal!

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    @versuserik that is exactly what I bought tonight! I was holding out for Christmas under the hope that there would be another Merch related pin like last year (which I missed by one penny because I bought all the comics for 74.99 and ended up with free shipping), but 15% was too good to pass up.

• Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    As one data point, it seemed to gather a huge amount of the lookout pins (minus the logo) and certain behemoth pins as those were very often used as trade fodder for people. Anyone who sets up one of these needs to have a plan for how to deal with a glut of the fodder pins, and if its to be open for a while, how to inject more "nifty" pins into the pool as time goes on. Certainly possible, and I look forward to seeing them pop up.

Definitely lots of Lookouts and Behemoth pins, likely because they were the cheapest purchasable pins. Behemoth pins went away pretty quickly later (Giraffey!). Many got replaced by Elspeths and Second Sons by Monday.

It'd be interesting to see how location has an effect on Take a Pinny, Leave a Pinny operations. Info booth at PAX Prime is between Merch booth and the 4C entrance/exit to/from expo, and at the top of the escalators in the South Galleria which made it a good hub for midday Pin trading.

East Info faces the main entrance, it might be better to have a Take a Pinny, Leave a Pinny setup on the opposite side of Info facing East Merch. I imagine proximity to the source of certain pins would correlate to the number of those certain pins showing up in that pile. If multiple locations are setup with this in mind, they could periodically do bulk swaps. I don't know if hardcore pinny collectors would prefer one central location or multiple ones.

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ok, im going crazy here, someone help me! when i woke up, during my morning routine of checking this thread and the PA site for more pin news (yeah, that's a thing I do now) i SWEAR i saw an update SOMEWHERE that said there would be new pin info in the next few days about Decembers pins. And now i cant find it anywhere....checked here, the new pin site, twitter......Is the lack of new news causing my squirrels to create new memories?.......I dont know whats real anymore.........

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I'm sure there is a Christmas set for December. Is that the one you're talking about?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Confirmed by Mike, but we're yet to see it announced.

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is awesome. I feel like a pokemon that just evolved.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Ok, im going crazy here, someone help me! when i woke up, during my morning routine of checking this thread and the PA site for more pin news (yeah, that's a thing I do now) i SWEAR i saw an update SOMEWHERE that said there would be new pin info in the next few days about Decembers pins. And now i cant find it anywhere....checked here, the new pin site, twitter......Is the lack of new news causing my squirrels to create new memories?.......I dont know whats real anymore.........

http://penny-arcade.com/pinny-arcade/news-post/welcome-to-the-new-pinny-arcade

You mean this?

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Insaneloon wrote: »
    I was holding out for Christmas under the hope that there would be another Merch related pin

I don't know if it will come along with Christmas again, but I asked Sunter via a tweet if Merch would come back to the online store at some point and he said yes.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    Uh.....yeah........no joke I read that post at least 4 times.....

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    http://desertbus.org/live-auction/253

Anyone who needs Pins, you may want to look.

• KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    http://desertbus.org/live-auction/253

Anyone who needs Pins, you may want to look.

Awesome! Has anyone bid on one of these live auctions before? I only found out about Desert Bus this year. How do the auctions work?

Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
    I would also like to know... Is it like ebay, bid for x days, the highest wins? or is it actually "live" so you have to actively bid on the spot. I wouldnt mind a shot at it, so would be good to know if i need to stay up late for it

8fuuo_RK.png
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Is the anniversary pin still going to drop on the 15th?

Edit: sometimes, when I've been sending a lot of email, I end forum posts and im messages like they are an email...it's weird, and I'm sorry. I fixed it.

DaveRH on
    @ayefkay the live auction is actually something you have to have an account for, and takes place at a particular time. It's not a silent auction like eBay, you have to bid on the spot.

@daverh the anniversary pin goes on sale sometime on the 18th, not the 15th. We don't know the exact hour yet though.

• Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    After repeated discussions with my local post office, I have come to the sad conclusion that my Hanna pin has been lost to the ether. My tracking number says it was delivered, but I never found it, despite tearing the area around the mailbox and door apart in the hope that it had been left somewhere.

Shame it happened to Hanna, and not a regular set that I could just order another set of :-(

vru37z14gk5j.png

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    1) Do we happen to know when on the 18th the 15th Anniversary Pin will go on sale?
    2) @Arithon32, I've got an extra Hanna and would be willing to trade it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    SerpicoBC wrote: »
    1) Do we happen to know when on the 18th the 15th Anniversary Pin will go on sale?
    No.

zerzhul wrote: »
    SerpicoBC wrote: »
    No.

That is in the FAQ. Also, send me questions for the FAQ, it goes out on Friday.

I'm beginning to worry that the time of the Pin Drop will remain secret until Monday. I'm going to have to keep my phone's battery fully charged all day for it to be able to keep up with the near continuous page refreshing that will be taking place.

• Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Kamelon wrote: »
    Yay! Love the site and that we have our own forum section!

Something I noticed: in the list of pins on the official site, you can sort by source and one of them is "Pin Pals". It seems that the term is being used on the site to refer to third parties with official pins (LRR, WotC etc).

I was thrown for a second because I thought there was some integration with the fan site somehow and it was saying these pins were available by trading with pin pals (which is also true ;)). The little merch logo even looks like the one on the fan site to mark collected pins.

Anyway, just an observation that the term "pin pals" means about three different things now: pin fans, those in a trio of trading partners here, and third parties selling official pins.

Well it looks like "pin pal" only means third parties selling official pins. I thought Mike refers to fans as Pinny Pals on Twitter. At least that's how I took it.

The new site looks great...really clean, and cool. I want PA to come up with there own digital lanyard, and account system. But I'm not even sure that's something they want. But I also didn't think the new site would be this extensive.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    Last two hours for the FAQ. Here's what we have so far.

1. 15th Anniversary Pin: Do we know the release time? Mainly for the Antipodean dwellers. 2pm Seattle was suggested last time, if possible.
    2. You said the Anniversary Pin release was going to be handled differently after you saw how Hanna went. How exactly will this be different?
    3. December Set: Speculation is that it will be the Acquisitions Inc. Set, as that was slated for the end of this year? Are we right? Thpoilerth? Release dates, numbers, limited?
    4. Christmas Set: Drunk Div in a Santa Hat? Please please? Also, thpoilerth, release dates, numbers, limited?
    5. This really applies to The Core Set, Twisp & Catsby Set, Lookouts Set, Halloween Set as well as the December and Christmas Sets: Are there going to be 2014 printings of these? When will they be discontinued, if there are 2014 prints?
    6. Killer Instinct Pins: Are there any more updates on things such as the Achievements, or how the coupon/code system will work? (Personal note: A few others have spotted that a generic discount coupon would be open to abuse, and have stated a preference for a “key” system. I know from experience that doing so requires more Database back-end, but if possible it would be better.)
    7. Will there be a Bonus item for the Christmas period in the PA Store, will it be a Pin, and will it be The Merch?
    8. Pin Suggestion: There has been a groundswell for a Monaco 8-Pin Set, and Andy Schatz is keen. What do we need to make this happen?
    “Mike, your Monaco prints are perfect for pins. They're just begging to join the Pinny Arcade lineup.

We asked some of the guys at Pocketwatch Games if they'd be interested and got some strong responses.

Andy Schatz says: "I love em too! If there were demand I'd do it!"

Andy Nguyen has indicated that Pocketwatch would definitely be willing to work with Penny Arcade if you guys wanted to work with them. He said this to us in an email and also asked us to keep fighting for these pins and keep him informed on the answers from this FAQ.

@MonacoIsMine says: "We'd love to have PA do some pins for us"

Here's some of that demand they were asking for. Some posts from the forums in support of Monaco pins:

"I'm still really keen to see Mike's Monaco designs made into pins. And so is the creator of Monaco!" -Kamelon
    "I'm more than happy to push for some Monaco Pins in the FAQ" -PedroAsani
    "For what it's worth, I would love to see some Monaco Pins." -Insaneloon
    "Ditto" -Spy112
    "You can add me to the would-buy-a-Monaco-set." -Vaanrose
    "Monaco set would be amazing, especially if they nailed the vivid colours." -grgemonkey
    "Another hands up for the Monaco set here" -Aussie Ben
    "I'd love an official PA Monaco set! I love Gabe's take on the characters but have no place to hang the prints he made... but the pins i could display proudly!" -Burt
    "I'd buy a Monaco set, definitely." -Degraine
    "Also, Monaco pins would be cool" -SerpicoBC

So, Mike, what do you say?”

9. Pin Suggestion: PAX Pox. I’m sure you can come up with something gross yet cool for this. (Personal note, tie-in with Pandemic, or any other tabletop infection-based game?)
    10. Pin Suggestion: Wombat, in addition to the Dropbear for PAX Aus. Maybe a menagerie of Deadly Down Under Denizens?

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    My question about the scrapper pins.

• Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Drayven_Darko on
    "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Arithon32 wrote: »
    After repeated discussions with my local post office, I have come to the sad conclusion that my Hanna pin has been lost to the ether. My tracking number says it was delivered, but I never found it, despite tearing the area around the mailbox and door apart in the hope that it had been left somewhere.

Shame it happened to Hanna, and not a regular set that I could just order another set of :-(

Have you tried contacting PA? They might be able to replace it or at least get you a refund.

pureval wrote: »
    My question about the scrapper pins.

Noted, although I think this might not get a full response. Since the problem doesn't yet exist, they might decide to go with "security through obscurity" about the procedures they have taken. I'll include my previous post text on the subject and we will see what happens.

If I am correct.....for Aussies thats 8am? can somebody double check this? I almost always get it wrong.......if correct thats a much more reasonable time for everyone

8fuuo_RK.png
    1. 15th Anniversary Pin: Do we know the release time? Mainly for the Antipodean dwellers. 2pm Seattle was suggested last time, if possible.

Mike just answered this on twitter, 2pm is the confirmed time for everything to go on sale. I'll be sending the other questions in about 10 minutes.

• KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @PedroAsani Oh, I've given you the wrong twitter link for Andy Schatz's quote. Here's the correct one:

Kamelon on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
    For those who want to know why 2pm was chosen, here is why it was asked for.

The first is time zones. 2pm Seattle (-8 UTC) means 5pm East Coast US (-5 UTC), and 10pm UK (UTC). 11pm Europe (+1 UTC). It also puts Australia between 6am and 8am (+8 to +10 UTC) so every time zone has a reasonable hour to operate in. As you can see if they had gone with noon Seattle time, Australia would suffer. If they go with 5pm or 6pm Seattle time, Europe is asleep. 9am Seattle time, Australia gets the short end yet again.

2pm is the best compromise for all areas.

Kamelon wrote: »
    @PedroAsani Oh, I've given you the wrong twitter link for Andy Schatz's quote. Here's the correct one:

I saw this just as I sent the thing off. Let me do a quick correction.

For those who want to know why 2pm was chosen, here is why it was asked for.

The first is time zones. 2pm Seattle (-8 UTC) means 5pm East Coast US (-5 UTC), and 10pm UK (UTC). 11pm Europe (+1 UTC). It also puts Australia between 6am and 8am (+8 to +10 UTC) so every time zone has a reasonable hour to operate in. As you can see if they had gone with noon Seattle time, Australia would suffer. If they go with 5pm or 6pm Seattle time, Europe is asleep. 9am Seattle time, Australia gets the short end yet again.

2pm is the best compromise for all areas.

Thanks for clarifying. I feel so much better about these times. Much more reasonable for everyone.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Aussie BenAussie Ben AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    FYI, Au Eastern time is currently in Daylight Savings, so if you're in say, Sydney or Melbourne, it'll be 9am (if my calculations are correct!):

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20131118T14&p1=234&p2=152

And don't forget - in Australia, that'll be TUESDAY.

Aussie Ben on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So many things to buy next Monday.

I definitely want to pick up the first comic and the re-drawn one. And 2 15th Anniversary pins. And that Gabe shirt. And the scarf. Moneyyyyyyy.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    Just a quick note, any new pins released won't hit the trading site till Nov 26-27th when I get home from holidays, in the future though, other helpers will have a portal to add new pins :)

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
    You said the Anniversary Pin release was going to be handled differently after you saw how Hanna went. How exactly will this be different?

Mike: We are using the time (2pm PST) you guys suggested. Also we will be posting a link to the pin when it becomes available on the new Pinny Arcade site, the PA home page, the front page of the store and on Twitter rather than just tweeting it.

December Set: Speculation is that it will be the Acquisitions Inc. Set, as that was slated for the end of this year? Are we right? Thpoilerth? Release dates, numbers, limited?

Mike: There are two sets coming out in December. An AI set and a Christmas Set. Neither is limited edition. I don't have exact dates for you yet.

Christmas Set: Drunk Div in a Santa Hat? Please please? Also, thpoilerth, release dates, numbers, limited?

Mike: I'll be posting artwork for the Christmas pins tomorrow on the Pinny Arcade site.
    Pedro: And so I must wait. It is killing me.

This really applies to The Core Set, Twisp & Catsby Set, Lookouts Set, Halloween Set as well as the December and Christmas Sets: Are there going to be 2014 printings of these? When will they be discontinued, if there are 2014 prints?

Mike: I will have to get back to you on this one.
    Pedro: I figured it would be a little early to ask about 2014 stuff, but that will be a big theme of the next FAQ.

Killer Instinct Pins: Are there any more updates on things such as the Achievements, or how the coupon/code system will work? (Personal note: A few others have spotted that a generic discount coupon would be open to abuse, and have stated a preference for a “key” system. I know from experience that doing so requires more Database back-end, but if possible it would be better.)

Mike: We are working with MS to make sure it is not open to abuse. It will be a key rather than a generic code. I'll be posting the artwork for the second character pin on Monday on the Pinny Arcade site.

Will there be a Bonus item for the Christmas period in the PA Store, will it be a Pin, and will it be The Merch?

Mike: Yes and yes it will be the Merch but it is a slightly new design.
    Pedro: I asked a follow-up about when the Christmas period starts, I shall update this when I have an answer.

Disney has a problem with counterfeit and “scrapper” pins, something that we would hate to see infect the Pinny Arcade community. Given it’s easier to prevent problems than clean them up, is anything being done to prevent this arising? Are you guys even aware that this is A Thing?

Mike: It's something we are aware of and will be watching for.

Pin Suggestion: There has been a groundswell for a Monaco 8-Pin Set, and Andy Schatz is keen. What do we need to make this happen?

Mike: I saw this and we're talking about it. No promises as with all the ideas we have it's going on a big list

I will be rewriting the previous FAQ over the weekend to try and get everything ordered and relevant. Previous Pin Suggestions will be removed since we now have a separate thread for them, and they have all been documented there.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    An AI set?

Also, this is all exciting news!

SerpicoBC on
This discussion has been closed.