As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So... Wraith

GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
Ya know, I've seen a lot of chatter about Various RPG's (good and bad), and was curious about what other people thought of Worlds of darkness' brain child, Wraith: the oblivion.

From my own personel purusal's of the core rule book, I thought it would make for a rather interesting game to try out (though certainly not for Novice RPers).

So... thoughts?

Gaddez on

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Greatest... game... ever. Wraith, if done right, is one of the most powerful emotional experiences you can have. It is a setting that requires a heavy emotional investment on the parts of the players as well as a great ST to pull off, but when you manage to get those things, it can create games that really pull at every fibre of your being.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    None of my friends will play wraith me because it's 'too depressing.'

I tried to run a game once anyway, for a duo of characters. The plot was based around fetters for the two characters suddenly Awakening, and the Technocracy taking a notice.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's a very angsty setting this one and takes certain people to play it. It's almost certainly one of the best WoD games in terms of themes and it's one of those settings I always wanted to run solo. Playing it with a group of people just never made much sense to me.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Aegeri wrote:
    It's a very angsty setting this one and takes certain people to play it. It's almost certainly one of the best WoD games in terms of themes and it's one of those settings I always wanted to run solo. Playing it with a group of people just never made much sense to me.

It definitely requires a very small group and a lot of planning needs to be done to come up with a good story with regards to the relationships between the characters, but it's possible.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    some kind of link or info about what it is would be a good thing

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    some kind of link or info about what it is would be a good thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraith:_The_Oblivion

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My Holy Grail of gaming is to finally hold and purchase a copy of Dark Reflection: Spectres. It's the only Black Dog book I'm missing from my collection. I bough the PDF version but that's just not the same.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Like everyone else has been saying, you need a perfect group to play this game. Everybody needs to know everyone else really well to make it work right. Because every player is playing two characters: their own PC, and the Shadow (the sentient 'dark side'/self-destructive impulse) of another player's character. This is one of the best parts about the game, and it relies heavily on knowing the person who you're Shadowguiding and knowing what buttons to push without going too far, because Wraith is a really emotional and psychological game at heart.

Conditional_Axe on