As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Week for 09/06/07

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
Pretty good stuff this week. My favorites:

Annihilation: Conquest: Wraith
Wraith frees Super Skrull and Praxagora. Mass ownage of Phalanx ensues. :^:

Amazing Spider-Man
Yeah, we saw it in the previews, but it was still fucking raw to see Pete web up Tony so completely.

Incredible Hulk
Pretty much the entire thing. Cho explains a LOT about the deaths Hulk's caused and managed to introduce some doubt into the Hulk. Hell, even with all that Hulk was saying he'd do, Cho stood by his game plan and it looks like it may have worked. There was even a moment in there for Cho haters. :P

And New Warriors
The issue was good, but the part that's awesome to me is they more or less confirmed that the Apocalypse looking dude was Jono Starsmoore. It makes so much sense and is awesome because Chamber was awesome.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Black Canary unveiling her honeymoon present.

Yowza.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    M.O.D.O.K.'s 11
    "Now give me the powers of Captain Marvel!!!

"... which one?!"

"THE BLACK ONE!!"

"Dude, it's under P for Photon now."

august on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Don't have a scanner, but the last panel of Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin was poster-worthy. And Slott's explanation of continuity and characterization errors in She-Hulk was super-cool, although that was more a whole issue of the week than a moment of the week.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Y The Last Man
    Fuck you BKV, fuck you.

First for killing her you son of a bitch, and second for doing it in such a sad sack cliched way. I'm not sure if I'm more pissed that the Sandman of this decade has been spiraling into the toilet ever since it started resolving things, or the fact it was so good I care it's been fucked up.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Black Canary unveiling her honeymoon present.

Yowza.

the whole issue was just an excuse to draw tits

they didn't even look nice

Diana looked pretty bad in that lingerie panel

and Ollie is a blond

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    werehippy wrote: »
    Y The Last Man
    Fuck you BKV, fuck you.

First for killing her you son of a bitch, and second for doing it in such a sad sack cliched way. I'm not sure if I'm more pissed that the Sandman of this decade has been spiraling into the toilet ever since it started resolving things, or the fact it was so good I care it's been fucked up.
    Yorrick says "I thought that person died" and she says, "So did I", and then as soon as she brings that person "back", she really does die.

I thought that was neat, in a way.

Still sucks, she was awesome.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Boys: Tek Knight's last scene.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Keith wrote: »

and Ollie is a blond

and so cocky.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    the book somehow made ollie unattractive

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yet...cocky.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Y The Last Man
    Fuck you BKV, fuck you.

Yorrick says "I thought that person died" and she says, "So did I", and then as soon as she brings that person "back", she really does die.

I was talking more about the best buddies who are perfect for each other and who we've seen coming together finally admit they have feeling for each others, the fact we never get her name but yorrick does, and the death of one person in a cople the second they make some sort of commitment or relationship progress.

Besides that little nod you pointed out, I could have cobbled the end together if I was just trying to fit in evey cliche I could.

I might just be bitchy because the quality has really tanked and I loved the hell out of the book, but this really struck me as especially piss poor.

werehippy on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Y The Last Man
    Fuck you BKV, fuck you.

I was talking more about the best buddies who are perfect for each other and who we've seen coming together finally admit they have feeling for each others, the fact we never get her name but yorrick does, and the death of one person in a cople the second they make some sort of commitment or relationship progress.

Besides that little nod you pointed out, I could have cobbled the end together if I was just trying to fit in evey cliche I could.

I might just be bitchy because the quality has really tanked and I loved the hell out of the book, but this really struck me as especially piss poor.
    Honestly, I liked it (or, well, didn't HATE it) because I was expecting that, like, Beth (his girlfriend/fiancee Beth) was going to die, and he'd see 355 in her little dress and be like "Damn I love her" and he'd be all "Tell me your name" and she'd be all "It's Beth" and they'd ride off into the sunset together while I vomit all over the place.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Y The Last Man
    Fuck you BKV, fuck you.

I haven't noticed a huge decline in the book's quality, and so the end of this issue really hit me. Hard. I haven't been this bent out of shape about a fictional death in months, possibly years.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved Hulk #110 with Cho taking on the Death's Head robot.
    Pebble + Pipe = Priceless

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Y The Last Man
    Fuck you BKV, fuck you.

I have a feeling we'll learn her name when Yorrick does a memorial to her.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Atom #15

"Tell my head wife I have love her head very much!"
    "She knows, Head. She knows."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Outsiders setting up DC's Civil War. Is it a joke? I dont know, but it was still pretty funny.
    1189131027573tj8.jpg

The end of New Warriors was pretty crazy as well. Looks like Tony was right about untrained minors trying to play at superheroing.
    nw4dcp034fw6.jpg

The one with the burnt face is a New Warrior member.

As for Hulk:
    Its fucking bullshit. There is no way Hulk is not responsible any deaths in all the years he has been destroying cities and towns and throwing tanks into helicopters. Hell, evacuating New York city means hospitals need to be emptied. Dying people, people on life support, old people that can barely move, critical patients, comatose, etc all need to be moved to facilities with proper equipment and room to hold them. Thats assuming every single one of them survives such a trip. Theres no way theres enough ambulances and other transportation for people in these situations. SOMEONE died. At least one person during this mass exodus. Its complete bull shit trying to pass it off as none. And it is Hulk's fault no matter what. The whole "hes never killed anyone" thing is ridiculous and beyond the suspension of disbelief and I read comics about superheroes for christ sake and cant believe this. Share the blame with the army or people that drove him to these extremes if you want, but he's responsible for some collateral deaths and theres no way you can convince me otherwise.

Also, concerning Cho, I can see him knowing all the angles and how to do some of the shit he can do. I cannot understand how he is fucking Bullseye and can hit the pin of a needle from a mile away when hes a scrawny runt with no athletic ability or proper training to do the shit he does. Flicking a pebble several metres and hitting something dead on the exact critical point? Youd be hard pressed to do something like that from a foot away, let alone the distance he flicked it. He does shit like that all the time and its getting annoying. Either give him super powers or make his shit at least somewhat believable.

KVW on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In the NW, the girl saying "NOOOOO" doesn't look like she could possibly be dragging it out, the way her face is contorted.

The art on NW really bugs me sometimes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    In the NW, the girl saying "NOOOOO" doesn't look like she could possibly be dragging it out, the way her face is contorted.

The art on NW really bugs me sometimes.

Actually, i couldnt figure out who that girl was. I thought Jubilee, but shes shown in her Wondra mask. She doesnt look like Angel either. Not sure who she is. Anyone know off hand?

KVW on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Why is Cancers power giving bad makeovers?

They're also desperate to undo the She-Hulk getting nailed by Juggernaut thing aren't they?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Re: Hulk
    I did think it was a little far-fetched for them to actually flat-out say that Hulk was never responsible for any deaths. I did think it was interesting that Cho suggested that Hulk's mind was like his, always analyzing the math in any given situation to smash his enemies without causing any deaths.

Unlikey, but a neat idea - as if Banner is looking over Hulk's shoulder and working out all these equations that keeps the Hulk from killing anybody.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    The end of New Warriors was pretty crazy as well. Looks like Tony was right about untrained minors trying to play at superheroing.
    Technically, none of them are minors.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited September 2007
    uh yeah

I really want to like NW because I want to know what my mang Thrash is up to.

But it isn't working.

I don't like or care about any of the characters. Most if the book is about Tony and the cops. The writing is weird and awkward. Like that girl just mentioned who we don't know who she is yet. I dunno. And the art has its moments but mostly blows goats.

I think the first sign of trouble was when I realized that this is the dude who wrote Underworld i.e. managed to get their ass sued by Whit Wolf not just fo the whole universe deal but apparently it lifted from a very specific short story. Anyway.

I'll probably pick up the next few issues just to see what's happening with Thrash but it better get good fast.

august on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2007
    Nothing stands out this week for me. MODOK's Eleven was the best book I picked up, but I can't pick a moment exactly.

And I'm basically done with New Warriors.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I want to like New Warriors, too. I mean, the first issue was great. And I'm a huge Jubilee fan. But...it's hard sometimes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Doktor Sleepless expanded more on the character, which is good, but I wouldn't put it as a book of the week.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nothing stands out this week for me. MODOK's Eleven was the best book I picked up, but I can't pick a moment exactly.
    Hey, you know that bit where Puma and The Laser and The Adaptoid find the room with all the M.O.D.A.K.s and Puma's all like "Well, this explains everything!" Do you understand that shit? Because I do not.

august on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Haven't read my full stack yet but I felt compelled to remark on Wolverine. I'm not one to rag on artists, because hell they all have more talent than me, but jesus christ, did Chaykin decide this was a good issue to try out penciling an issue with his feet or does he have multiple sclerosis? Seriously I threw up in my mouth a little when I turned to page 6, please someone with a scanner put some of this crap up so you can all have the same nightmares as I'm about to have.

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man, Wolfman's Nightwing stories seem so bloated.

They seem like they take ten issues per story

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

This arc is only five issues.

Then two months of Ra's.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

This arc is only five issues.

Then two months of Ra's.

I know

they're just so slow

it feels like 10 issues

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Captain America: The Chosen.

All of it.

That is all

:D

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Re: hulk. I'm not spoilering this because I'm only directly referencing old issues. It's been CONCLUSIVELY stated, from both an editorial standpoint and by characters in-universe that Hulk has, in fact killed thousands. That's the entire point of the Illuminati shipping him off.

Any claim by any character to the contrary is nonsensical at best.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Captain America: The Chosen.

All of it.

That is all

:D

I concur. My only complaint was that it seemed 8 pages long, I actually had to go back and count them to make sure. Even if it felt damn short it was still quality, I have a feeling this will be better suited for reading when a trade hits.

Maximum on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Re: hulk. I'm not spoilering this because I'm only directly referencing old issues. It's been CONCLUSIVELY stated, from both an editorial standpoint and by characters in-universe that Hulk has, in fact killed thousands. That's the entire point of the Illuminati shipping him off.

Meh, I like that Cho had a plausible idea about it that more or less corresponds with past remarks about the Hulk (in continuity and by Marvel editorial). It's only really recently that he's "conclusively" killed thousands. It makes sense that he's killed some, but since no one ever draws this happening, and because the stance was for decades that Hulk didn't kill anyone, I think it's fair to allow some skepticism.

Also, lol moral relativism, but if Hulk has killed thousands, pretty much every hero ever has some blood on his or her hands. With all this big street destroying fights they get up to, no sane person would assume that no bystander was ever killed.

I'm liking New Warriors so far, but Medina's art is kinda off in some places. I hope he tightens up on the next issue.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Meh, I like that Cho had a plausible idea about it that more or less corresponds with past remarks about the Hulk (in continuity and by Marvel editorial). It's only really recently that he's "conclusively" killed thousands. It makes sense that he's killed some, but since no one ever draws this happening, and because the stance was for decades that Hulk didn't kill anyone, I think it's fair to allow some skepticism.

Also, lol moral relativism, but if Hulk has killed thousands, pretty much every hero ever has some blood on his or her hands. With all this big street destroying fights they get up to, no sane person would assume that no bystander was ever killed.

I'm liking New Warriors so far, but Medina's art is kinda off in some places. I hope he tightens up on the next issue.

And also disputed, in continuity, by Slott and She-Hulk.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Y The Last Man
    Fuck you BKV, fuck you.

I have a feeling we'll learn her name when Yorrick does a memorial to her.
    i was really expecting her name on the last page

satansfingers on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Meh, I like that Cho had a plausible idea about it that more or less corresponds with past remarks about the Hulk (in continuity and by Marvel editorial).
    As a caveat, I've not read the comic this week myself, because I haven't found a new comic store near where I just moved. However, as I understand it, Cho believes that Hulk unconsciously calculates the risks of everything he does, and as a result has never killed anyone, correct?

If I'm correct in understanding Cho's idea, then I'm sorry but that's not plausible at all. Hulk's intelligence has never been anything more than a clever, normal human. The idea that somehow he was able to do the same calculations Cho is doing, but on a radically larger scale (to cover the thousands of city blocks he damages at a time) is insane.
    It's only really recently that he's "conclusively" killed thousands. It makes sense that he's killed some, but since no one ever draws this happening, and because the stance was for decades that Hulk didn't kill anyone, I think it's fair to allow some skepticism.
    It doesn't matter if it's been the party line since Hulk's conception, or if it was just introduced as canon today: in Marvel 616, the Hulk HAS killed, and it's not debatable anymore. I'm sorry, but if editorial AND in-universe characters explicitly state that he's incontrovertibly killed thousands then he's killed thousands. This is silly to even debate it, it's the stated reality. That's like debating whether it's possible for a gamma-irradiated ass to transform into a living avatar of rage; the very debate violates the rules of the fictional universe.
    You read Civil War, right? I mean, I'm not trying to sound insulting, but that concept was in fact at the core of SHRA and in fact the conclusion of CW: they explicitly talked about the hundreds of people injured in the process of Cap's little revolution. The Marvel 616 canon right now is that superhero fights cause damage and injuries. The fact that some heroes have caused more collateral damage than others is obvious though we don't have hard numbers on anyone but Hulk. However, given the reaction of the Illuminati to the numbers on Hulk, I think it's safe to assume that the in-universe numbers for everyone else are lower (though we know Wolverine has killed hundreds in his latest insanity).

mattharvest on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MaximumJ wrote: »
    Haven't read my full stack yet but I felt compelled to remark on Wolverine. I'm not one to rag on artists, because hell they all have more talent than me, but jesus christ, did Chaykin decide this was a good issue to try out penciling an issue with his feet or does he have multiple sclerosis? Seriously I threw up in my mouth a little when I turned to page 6, please someone with a scanner put some of this crap up so you can all have the same nightmares as I'm about to have.

I completely agree with you. My 9 year old cousin is a better artist than Chaykin. I didn't look inside the book when I was in the comic shop but once I got home I leafed through it. I was so disgusted with the art that I literally threw the comic out once I had looked through it, I didn't even read it. I find it insulting that Chaykin is considered a "professional".

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MaximumJ wrote: »

I completely agree with you. My 9 year old cousin is a better artist than Chaykin. I didn't look inside the book when I was in the comic shop but once I got home I leafed through it. I was so disgusted with the art that I literally threw the comic out once I had looked through it, I didn't even read it. I find it insulting that Chaykin is considered a "professional".

The faces were pretty expressive though. Except they were kinda all the same expression...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg