As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Senran Kagura Bursts onto the 3DS!

Yes I'm making a thread about THAT game. Yes it is a game about well endowed ninja girls from a good ninja academy fighting well endowed ninja girls from an evil ninja academy. Yes, special attacks sometimes revolve around costume changes (not actually that uncommon in modern Japanese action beat 'em ups, but usually not like this) and you can dress up the young ladies in various pandering animeish outfits.

Yes the producer of this game's sequel once said, and I quote
Takaki wrote:
Tits are life, ass is hometown.

Well try to ignore all that for a second; this game is a shockingly competent beat 'em up that runs smooth, sounds great, has tons of content (the entire original Senran Kagura is included as the Hanzō Academy/Senran Kagura: Skirting Shadows missions) with a real deal writer behind it who most recently worked on Ace Attorney 5!

Well, I said try to ignore it/laugh at the hilarity of it all. Hyper inflated breasts to go along with lightning fast beat em up content that goes on and on forever. There's Frantic Mode (L+R at the start of a match) you can choose at the beginning of the fight to shed your armor like street clothes (usually a school uniform, ninja suit or some other bit of weird anime fetish garb, with tons and tons that you can unlock) to drastically decrease your defense (90%!!!) and radically improve offensive power(750%!!!) and speed to the point of giving you nearly unlimited combos. I freaking love this mode although I think the bathing suit it puts you in is a bit much and nowhere near as attractive as some of the regular outfits. Your characters level up as you go through missions and while the story might require a certain character for a story mission you can go back and play through any of them with any character. They all play quite a bit differently from each other, some with frankly ridiculous special attacks while others have more grounded offense.

There's 12 characters in this game, ten regular, five on each side (good ninja school Hanzō Academy and five from evil Hebijo Academy, one hidden for each side) The story mode has two paths as mentioned and unless the mission specifies a character you can use anyone on the roster for any mission. They do level up the more you use them.

Trailers:

Probably not safe for work. I wouldn't play the game at work either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTAHsL6kcQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4e_g51VM4

Frequently Asked Questions:

Why no Screenshots?

Hard to find cleanish ones.

well, here's a few.

g1sYJGr.jpg

Story mode select screen. SK 1's mode is recommended for beginners.

EMrTOfl.jpg

Evil ninja academy roster.

6OyCLZB.jpg

A relatively short combo string. This game is generous with the timer but I've only played the game for two hours and have been well over 600.

What is this Ying/Yang nonsense?

You increase your Ying gauge by fighting in Frantic Mode/when your costume is ripped off. Maxing it out will grant you even more benefits for those who espouse total offense over all else.

Yang is increased by staying in your clothes/transforming into Shinobi Mode. This gives you more combos, longer aerial combos, better defense, quicker recharge on your Ninja powers.

Luckily as far as I can tell this game doesn't do any of that awful Ogre Battle style balance issue and you can max both out without having to balance them. Eff taoism, Full Ying and Full Yang baby. Also Ying style/frantic mode is hilariously fun. You move like Sonic and do combos like banned MvC2 characters...and you die in around five solid hits. There is seemingly some reward for beating every mission in Frantic mode.

What about Shinobi Versus?

That's a Vita game and sequel to this one. It's a 3D brawler (think Dynasty Warriors) with a versus mode. If this game does well enough XSeed has more or less said that they'll bring this one over too. The producer of the series has also said that Burst isn't the last 3DS game he has in mind. Bless this man. You can also just import the Vita game if you want, but you'll miss the surprisingly decent writing unless you understand Japanese.

Is this game digital only?

In America, yes. It's coming out in early 2014 in Europe in both retail and digital.

Why isn't there more media on this game in this thread?

Because I don't want to be banned. Even the instruction manual is NSFW.

But this game got a T for Teen from the ESRB, It can't be that bad, Xenogears of Bore!

It's a lot of flesh but no nudity. Very few adult situations beyond hints of nudity. Cartoony as fuck violence. Seemingly little to no blood. Just a lot of anime girls being anime girls and solid beat em upness...with some visual novel bits thrown in because why the fuck not.

Why are the controls on the character viewer screen so bad?

I have no clue but to say that I use the gyro instead.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Got it. Played it for about an hour so far. It's fun, and sometimes a little tough. The AI will juggle the shit out of you if you give it the chance.

It's also completely ridiculous, of course.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well try to ignore all that for a second
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

YL9WnCY.png
    So far I'm not seeing much of a reason to use the heavy attack except for doing a downward strike when I'm in mid-air. If one of the goals in combat is to get a huge combo, wouldn't I want to do more weaker attacks to build my combo count?

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I bought this pretty much solely because I liked to support XSEED and I heard that it was surprisingly decent. I...have no prior knowledge or attachment to Senran Kagura or anything, so it's a bit of a gamble! But, hey, I'll probably enjoy it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    So far I'm not seeing much of a reason to use the heavy attack except for doing a downward strike when I'm in mid-air. If one of the goals in combat is to get a huge combo, wouldn't I want to do more weaker attacks to build my combo count?

Most of the aerial launchers are tied to the heavy button. So instead of doing a four hit combo to get an aerial rave you can do it in two or three by using a heavy hit. Heavy hits also break boss shields much quicker.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You gotta hammer that R button if you start getting infinijuggled.

Most of the aerial launchers are tied to the heavy button. So instead of doing a four hit combo to get an aerial rave you can do it in two or three by using a heavy hit. Heavy hits also break boss shields much quicker.

Yeah, my go to combo in the middle of large groups is Y Y X. Knocks em all into the air where I can go to town with crazy aerial ninja moves. I managed to land a 1000+ hit combo in one of the chapter 1 missions :D

Also, that Yin (Yang?) thing for Frantic mode is nuts. You can just hammer the Y button endlessly and your attacks never stop. I get the impression that completing missions in Frantic mode is supposed to be harder, but I'm finding them to be a lot easier. Still only in chapter 1, though, so that may be why.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wait. They actually released this in the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTQvnhNVgxQ

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Well try to ignore all that for a second
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
    Oh, you. :)

My love of boobs brawlers might get me to pick this up once my backlog is cleaned out a bit. (Yes, Code of Princess also played with this a bit, but it is a legitimately good bralwer). XSEED deserves all the support they can get after bringing us such great stuff as the Ys games and other oddities from the East.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Frantic sounds like something that would be yang-oriented. Oh, well.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I want to try this but Zelda decided to come out next week and past that Im tapped for.games until next year.

Will this be hard to find at retail in like two months?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I want to try this but Zelda decided to come out next week and past that Im tapped for.games until next year.

Will this be hard to find at retail in like two months?

It's hard to find at retail right now.

Mainly because it's a digital-only game. There are no boxed copies.

:)

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh cool

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    Picked this up because A ) I have a distinct lack of weird Japanese games in my life, B ) I like brawlers where I don't have to think too hard & C ) I'm a perv.

Played a couple of missions last night. I was worried it would be too simple but so far I'm enjoying mashing out the combos and making the numbers bigger.
    I don't hide things from my wife but it will be interesting if she ever peeks over my shoulder to see what I'm playing.

"I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
    edited November 2013
    How do the unlock outfits play into the game? Is it just outfits to wear during the different levels, or does it have a Rumble Roses style-show sort of deal?

_J_ on
    Outfits are rewards for beating levels but don't alter stats at all.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Got this game. Beat the first storyline, working on the second. The dialogue is hilarious at times, and the gameplay is decent enough to keep my interest. It's a beat-em-up, which is what I grew up on. I'm a sucker for unlocking things, too. If there was a way to turnoff the cutscenes so I could play this in public without feeling like a total creeper, that would be greeeaaat.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    You can skip basically every cutscene.

Also fuck maids. Maids are way harder than bosses. The hardest maps by far to beat on Frantic mode are those with maids that surround you, especially when it happens over and over again.

The amount of content this game has for a beat em up is insane.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I like the game so far. It's a shining example of how classy Japan can be.

Which reminds me, why hasn't someone made a Queen's Blade game like this yet? Cause they really need to. Or maybe they have and it's far too classy for us to handle.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    You can skip basically every cutscene.

I mean the ones where clothing comes flying off in shreds, or the transformations where they zoom in on all the jiggles.

That said, I'm enjoying this game so far, and look forward to more like it.

I think you can even mash start and skip those.

Which reminds me, why hasn't someone made a Queen's Blade game like this yet?

This is an excellent question.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I think you can even mash start and skip those.

I've had success mashing Y and X, but not every time.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Probably because they're already making enough money off the MMO.

This video (and every other one I could find) is extremely not safe for work, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn2_1Y4ID68

uyvfOQy.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I love Frantic Mode. I turn into an absolute killing machine and it's beyond fun. I am surprised at how good the game actually is!

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    Reynolds wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

Probably because they're already making enough money off the MMO.

This video (and every other one I could find) is extremely not safe for work, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn2_1Y4ID68

There is a Queen's Blade MMO?

Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I love Frantic Mode. I turn into an absolute killing machine and it's beyond fun. I am surprised at how good the game actually is!

Basically my opinion as well.

It's an easy mode for boss fights but a super fucking mega hard mode for five star missions. When you get the Yin mode bonus on top of that it becomes frankly ridiculous with near infinite weak combos and the ability to burst for no HP cost (and about a three second recharge) Yang or even better Balance (aka Senran mode) are much slower but become far far easier as you level up and suddenly most attacks mean jack nothing to you.

Also I have confirmed that all transformations/cutscenes can be skipped with the use of the start button.

The novella bits are also SHOCKINGLY well done, especially in evil ninja mode/later on good ninja mode.

No HP cost to burst? Awesome. I was having a terrible time trying to beat Frantic Mode on all missions. Maybe this will help.

I cannot get that Yin meter to advance with some of my girls no matter how many levels I Frantic. Is it tied to levels gained while in that mode? I've only got one maxed out Yang meter (Asuka's) but I was kind of powering through so I could write my review tonight.

Oh, and Mirari(? the evil gothic lolita catgirl with the overly phallic Secret Art) is one of the most obnoxious fights in the game. Stupid ranged attack spam.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The first time I watched the trailer to this, I was all like "Bwuh?"

Until Xeno put it, I didn't even know that it was a boobbeat 'em up.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Yagyu is da best. Hibari is a close second.

I only just finished Chapter 1. Going back through the chapter with each character to get A ranks and frantic mode completions in each level before starting chapter 2. Beat Hibari in 3 seconds, and evil ninja girl that weilds her swords like Wolverine claws in 10 seconds with Asuka.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    The Hanzu hidden character is HILARIOUS.

Just finished clearing the first game on frantic. Still need to go back and A rank with everyone/get everyone up to level 50 but I can do that later. Time for evil ninja school.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Yagyu is da best. Hibari is a close second.

I'm biased towards Katsuragi, since my wife is a blond who is fond of kicking things (2nd-degree black belt in TKD) ...also named Kat. It gets kind of hot weird when the character's defining personality trait kicks in.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Look honey, the character in this game is exactly like you, right? Right? Ehhhhh? :p

*THWAP*

Roundhouse to the nose

edited November 2013
    Fortunately my wife is also a connoisseur of hentai doujinshi so I don't have too much to worry about on that front. :)

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Well dang... you just went and married yourself a pretty rad lady, huh?

The Hanzu hidden character is HILARIOUS.

Just finished clearing the first game on frantic. Still need to go back and A rank with everyone/get everyone up to level 50 but I can do that later. Time for evil ninja school.

What do you mean by "clearing the first game on frantic"? With one character?

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Well dang... you just went and married yourself a pretty rad lady, huh?

I like to think so. <3

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is the text in English but the voices are still Japanese?

Brainleech wrote: »

Yes.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yes.

Then I can play it at work he he