As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bravely Default] Beverly Hills 90210 - The Game

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited February 2014 in Games and Technology
36B8JPz.png

Bravely Default is an upcoming JRPG for the Nintendo 3DS produced by Square-Enix and developed by Silicon Studio, the makers of 3D Dot Game Heroes.

It will be released in Europe on December 6th and in North America on February 7th.

A demo can be downloaded from the (EU) eShop. The neat thing about the demo is that it isn't simply, like, the first 30 minutes of the full version or whatever. It is a completely different adventure, set in a part of the world specifically made for the demo along with a town and three dungeons.
Along with this staggering amount of content, completing various tasks in the demo earns you bonus items in the full version of the game. For example, defeating the tortoise boss in the demo rewards you with a Rod and one Ether in the full version. These bonuses aren't terribly rare or exciting, but they do give you a nice headstart.

tfanYtp.jpg

The story

You gain control of Tiz (second from left), a farm boy whose entire village has succumbed from an unnatural chasm. Being the lone survivor, he embarks on a journey to find out why this disaster has happened. He shortly joins up with Agnes(second from right), a mysterious maiden and her guidance faerie Airy who are also on a journey to prevent further disasters from happening. Eventually you also meet up with Ringabel (far right), a boy who carries a mysterious book that can predict future events, and Edea (far left), a soldier who strives to make her father proud of her accomplishments.

y9ekXiY.jpg

Bravely Default, eh? How did they come up with that stupid name?

Ahem, the actual explanation from writer Hayashi Naotaka is as follows: "have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you".

But! There's a gameplay component as well. What sets Bravely Default apart from other turn-based JRPGs is its combat system.
Along with physical attacks, casting spells, using items etc you have two more options in combat:
Brave lets the character that uses it take an additional turn whereas Default means you basically save a turn for later and increase your defenses. However, you can't just use these willy-nilly. In addition to only being able to use Brave up to three times per round (for a total of four actions), you also need to watch out for your BP (Brave Points). Each round, every character gains 1 BP and taking one standard action costs 1 BP, so you'll usually end up at 0 again. Your maximum BP is +-3. If you start your turn at -1 (or less) BP, you cannot act.
But that's not all! Your enemies are governed by BP as well and they can use Brave and Default just as you can. To emerge victorious from the game's challenging battles, you not only need to exploit your enemies' elemental weaknesses, heal your party members and so on but you also need to figure out when your enemies use Brave and Default and how you can use your own Brave and Default commands to your advantage. Do you go on the defensive when the boss you're facing suddenly gets three actions in a row? Do you go all out when your enemy can't act? Or do you play conservatively and don't use Brave to stay flexible?

THIS IS TOO MUCH NEW STUFF

Don't worry, it's not as complicated as it sounds. There are loads of familiar things for the discerning JRPG veteran to sink his teeth into - for example, a Job System!

cYiJYqs.jpg

Every classic Final Fantasy player should be familiar with this. You can choose a job for each one of your characters, which governs their stats, what kinds of abilities they learn and what kind of equipment they're most proficient with.
It's a good idea to not just stick to one job for each character - instead, you should mix & match so that your characters will have access to a variety of different abilities.
A White Mage who just heals is kind of boring, right? So why not give him the Singing command from the Performer class so that he can buff his party members, along with the Freelancer's Mislead ability to avoid drawing attention from enemies and the Red Mage's Turn Tables ability, which gives you one additional BP when you evade an attack?
Or give your Valkyrie the Knight's Two-Handed skill for extra damage along with the Swordmaster's Multitask for additional attacks.
The possibilities are virtually endless.

Also, while it's mostly a typical old-school JRPG, it does have some modern conveniences. For example, you can change the encounter rate at any time - you can set it to 200% or even to 0%. You can also manually turn off gold and XP gain - so for those folks who like to do low level runs, this game is perfect.

HEClqnc.jpg

As you can hopefully see from the screens and artwork I've posted, the game is absolutely beautiful and the 3D effect works well. The character designs are done by Akihiko Yoshida of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story fame.

j6abw6q.jpg

One final aspect of the game that I'd like to mention here which has (deservedly) gotten a lot of praise is the game's outstanding soundtrack. It'd be no stretch to call this the best video game soundtrack of 2013. It was composed by Revo / Sound Horizon who also famously did the two openings of the Attack on Titan anime.
Just listen to some of these kickass tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoPB7YlkcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ7gdKT_K5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74pqL3h_fEo

Also, some trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bXzIeZ-14w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqG_MP73-vE

D4WEaS7.jpg

Friend Code List

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqlDS6dYvMyAdFJxcUVsVTFiWXFDUEgtblFUR2RUMHc&usp=sharing#gid=0

2chm2pq.png

Throughout the game, the party meets up with a helpful masked informant who feeds them information about the activities of their enemies. When you near the end of the game, you discover that he was merely using you to eliminate all his competition to taking over the world. He removes his mask and reveals himself as someone the main character used to know in school, who often held him down and released flatulence onto his face. It turns out he is too powerful to defeat, and all the party can do is escape. Suddenly the title of the game comes up, and the letters rearrange themselves:
Beb1Yrn.png

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    I've been super excited for this one. I switched my Zelda pre-order to BD (tough call but I can only buy/play so many games).

Hope it's as awesome as everything I've seen makes it out to be!

sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @Lanrutcon
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    MAZ! OMG MAZ!

Ringabel just critted on a counter for 1.4K! against the optional end boss!

Dang, that's impressive. Highest crit I've gotten was like 800, which was from a Nothing Ventured by one of my Swordmaster boosted to max attack by a Performer. How did you manage to do it?
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So to the Europeans: I have a Valkyrie with a secondary in Ninjutsu. Do Utsuseni evades work with Comeback Kid and Transience? I just had the mega turtle ground stomp into 2 evades, but no counters fired in return.

Dunno, I haven't used the Ninja much. Maybe it only works on single target attacks?

Maz- on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    yuuup

good thing I'm getting a 3DS soon

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    If you aren't sold on the game yet - the Performer class looks like this:

tumblr_msztrdGTI51ql51lgo1_500.png

The King.

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    It's basically a follow-up to four heroes of light, isn't it?

Xagarath on
    Xagarath wrote: »

You could call it a spiritual successor I guess.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I am extremely interested in this game, but I admit that I haven't been doing a very good job on keeping up with the news as I should've been.

I remember hearing that Europe was getting this released before North America, but wtf? 2 whole months early? Ffffffuuuuuu...

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Please tell me you can turn of VA in this game.

urahonky wrote: »

Oh right, forgot to mention this in the OP. You can turn off voice acting (well, you can set the voice acting volume to 0, technically) but you can also switch to the Japanese voice track if you like.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »

You could call it a spiritual successor I guess.

It was supposed to be a sequel to 4 Heroes of Light, but they decided to change the name to something new since it was going to 3DS. But they use the subtitle Flying Fairy in Japan so that it abbreviates to FF, like Final Fantasy.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The Japanese voice track is included you say? This upgraded my purchase from day 1 to day 1.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Oh right, forgot to mention this in the OP. You can turn off voice acting (well, you can set the voice acting volume to 0, technically) but you can also switch to the Japanese voice track if you like.

That excites me.

There's something about VA on the DS/3DS that really irks me. It sounds like there's some sort of echo when they talk. I couldn't take it in FF3DS (or was it 4?). Maybe the audio was highly compressed or something.

The trailers for this game definitely sounded like they still had the quality issues.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

The King.

The only good Elvis impersonators were the Kings in Fallout: New Vegas because they didn't actually know who Elvis was or what he did.

I'm still not liking the design of the male Performers. And I never will.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    On the fence about the collector's edition. I'm a sucker for nice boxes and cards and stuff, but I don't really care about the figure and it's a lot when taking that into account.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal

The King.

The only good Elvis impersonators were the Kings in Fallout: New Vegas because they didn't actually know who Elvis was or what he did.

I'm still not liking the design of the male Performers. And I never will.

You are history's biggest monster.
    On the fence about the collector's edition. I'm a sucker for nice boxes and cards and stuff, but I don't really care about the figure and it's a lot when taking that into account.

Yeah, same here. I'll probably just go with the regular edition, the figure is just way too expensive, as much as I'd like to have the artbook and soundtrack.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Does the US collectors edition even come with the figure? They didn't show that in the pictures, so it looks like you EU people luck out again...

Super hyped for this--it looks absolutely amazing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    No figure in the US CE. But we get like 45 AR cards, which is...cool...I guess? What are they used for in the game?

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    10:28 to finish the demo. Level 17 characters with maxed jobs. All bosses one-shotted, all bonuses unlocked.

Tasty.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Pretty happy someone made this game its own thread. It looks so good.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
    Renzo wrote: »
    No figure in the US CE. But we get like 45 AR cards, which is...cool...I guess? What are they used for in the game?

You can watch some AR movies, look at character & enemy models in detail..stuff like that.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I considered making this thread almost a year ago, instead I just posted about how hyped I was in the FF thread. Those eight weeks that this thread is jumping after release are going to be torture.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    I honest to god think 4 Heroes of Light is one of the best the DS has to offer, so this excites me greatly. Hope it has the same level of challenge and references to oldschool JRPGs.

Downloaded the demo, but I think I'll wait until December to give it its fair shot. :p

V0Gug2h.png
    Chen wrote: »
    I honest to god think 4 Heroes of Light is one of the best the DS has to offer, so this excites me greatly. Hope it has the same level of challenge and references to oldschool JRPGs.

Downloaded the demo, but I think I'll wait until December to give it its fair shot. :p

It most definitely does.

You should play the demo now though if you've got the time, for reasons that should be apparent if you read the OP.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A demo can be downloaded from the (EU) eShop. The neat thing about the demo is that it isn't simply, like, the first 30 minutes of the full version or whatever. It is a completely different adventure, set in a part of the world specifically made for the demo along with a town and three dungeons.
    Along with this staggering amount of content, completing various tasks in the demo earns you bonus items in the full version of the game. For example, defeating the tortoise boss in the demo rewards you with a Rod and one Ether in the full version. These bonuses aren't terribly rare or exciting, but they do give you a nice headstart.

Ooo!

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Not a good enough reason to pull me away from Poketmin. :p

V0Gug2h.png
    Oh that sounds neat, I didn't want to play the demo and spoil a chunk of the game but if it's totally different I'm all over it!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited November 2013

Heh. The Pogeymans left the cartridge slot of my 3DS yesterday for the first time in over a month because I got Layton 6 so it wasn't that tough for me.
    You really should give the demo a shot though.

Maz- on
  • Jeff210Jeff210 Registered User regular
    Darn, I had read some bad info that had a release date for NA of Dec 3, so the Feb release date is extra painful. Is there really no demo in the NA eshop?

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Jeff210 wrote: »
    Darn, I had read some bad info that had a release date for NA of Dec 3, so the Feb release date is extra painful. Is there really no demo in the NA eshop?

The NA demo will only appear closer to the release date.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Ooooh the way it zooms out on environments after being idle for a while looks really nice with the 3D on.

I just like watching eShop-downloads.

edited November 2013
    ukqA9VD.png

This makes it the biggest 3DS game by a landslide D: ~3.3 GB.

For comparison's sake:
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: 17,693 blocks
    Pokemon X and Y: About 15,000 blocks
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 14,284 blocks
    Monster Hunter 4: 13,920 blocks
    Style Savvy: 10,500 blocks
    Fire Emblem Awakening: 8,579 blocks
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: 8,192 blocks
    Mario Kart 7: 8,192 blocks
    Mario & Luigi Dream Team: 6792 blocks
    Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon: 6,748 blocks
    Star Fox 64 3D: 5,120 blocks
    Super Mario 3D Land: 4,096 blocks
    New Super Mario Bros 2: 2,950 blocks

Maz- on
  • Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    ukqA9VD.png

This makes it the biggest 3DS game by a landslide D: ~3.3 GB.

For comparison's sake:
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: 17,693 blocks
    Pokemon X and Y: About 15,000 blocks
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 14,284 blocks
    Monster Hunter 4: 13,920 blocks
    Style Savvy: 10,500 blocks
    Fire Emblem Awakening: 8,579 blocks
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: 8,192 blocks
    Mario Kart 7: 8,192 blocks
    Mario & Luigi Dream Team: 6792 blocks
    Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon: 6,748 blocks
    Star Fox 64 3D: 5,120 blocks
    Super Mario 3D Land: 4,096 blocks
    New Super Mario Bros 2: 2,950 blocks

Downloading that is going to take some time. I'm still doing it, mind because downloading my games to my giant SD card is awesome.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
    edited November 2013
    Isn't RE:R around that too?

Yep, it's 25,795 and the second biggest game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    Send action to friend?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Do we know all the Jobs in the game yet?

Goblin too strong, kthxbye.

Charming animations.

@Magic_Pink http://www.square-enix.co.jp/bdff/#/play/job

Magic Pink wrote: »
    Do we know all the Jobs in the game yet?

No because they might have added super secret jobs. We know the jobs the original game had+ the one from the internet game.

Put Nothing Ventured on everybody and carry a big stick.

This Brave-system with Multitask and stuff just goes Zatoichi on suckers.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Gimme! C'mon, gimme! There is not enough frothing demand left in me for this game because I have already used it all up.

This discussion has been closed.