As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox One] Come On, Jump in! Over One Million Served! Gamertag List in OP

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ryse review on Thursday further reinforces my gut feeling that it is not going to be a very good game.

I agree, though ign might want the reviews spread out over the week to keep people coming back.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The review thing could also just be Microsoft wanting everything spread out - consistently build hype by trickling out information instead of just doing one big dump.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The review thing could also just be Microsoft wanting everything spread out - consistently build hype by trickling out information instead of just doing one big dump.
    Right, that's another real possibility.

But Ryse is absolutely the game that has had the shakiest reception, and slotting it in the last review slot before launch... just not super confident in that.

Maybe Ryse will be on a demo station at best buy soon, or I can watch a twitch stream from the fine folks buying it in this thread.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    don't bother trying to read into review embargo dates, doubly so near a console launch. seems like a decent chance ryse is a mediocre beat em up, but this is a fool's errand.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this twitch stuff is pretty cool, i've been hopping around some of the PS4 owners streams!, Resogun does indeed look awesome too bad its exclusive. Speaking of which is there any video of Xbox ones twitch interface?

I'm cautiously optimistic about Ryse. I may rent it, or something, it no doubt looks really good.

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i don't expect Ryse to be the greatest launch title ever, but i do think it is and will continue suffering from its poor first showing at E3. even Crytek acknowledge that they didn't show the game at its best.
    So what the hell happened at E3? Crytek admits they should've shown off more raw gameplay instead of a "perfect" playthrough. "Without showing the full depth [of the combat], without showing failure [to pull off a move or execution]...did it do us some injustice? Maybe," admitted senior producer Brian Chambers. "It left a lot of questions."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/dont-worry-about-ryse-son-of-rome

i'd expect review scores to be varied, but never climbing to high. maybe somewhere around the 6-7 range.

i'm interested to see how the multiplayer portion plays. that could have legs if enough people find it entertaining enough.

• ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Right, that's another real possibility.

But Ryse is absolutely the game that has had the shakiest reception, and slotting it in the last review slot before launch... just not super confident in that.

Maybe Ryse will be on a demo station at best buy soon, or I can watch a twitch stream from the fine folks buying it in this thread.

Or maybe Crytek polished the hell out of it and its a must play, and microsoft just wants that thursday bomb before everyone rushes to get their consoles at midnight.

A GUY CAN DREAM CANT HE?

Edit: It would actually be kind of genius, all the other games reviewed, everyone is expecting middling reviews, then bam, microsoft plays the trump card in the 11th hour.

Zephos on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I wonder if crytek will ever ditch the 'y' names.

and for the history buffs amongst us, how about a chronicle of how the original Xbox and the 360 came to be.

Opening the Xbox
    Inside Microsoft's Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution
    The video game industry is expected to double in sales over the next five years. It has already eclipsed motion pictures to become one of the largest and fastest growing markets in history and a lamplight illuminating where the future of entertainment is headed. In an effort to grab a chunk of that market, Microsoft—an absolute newcomer to the gaming industry—has put billions of dollars on the line in a gamble to build the fastest, most mature, most advanced video game console ever: the Xbox. Is this new Microsoft venture just another experiment that, like WebTV, was launched to much fanfare but will be quickly forgotten? Or will it become the next Windows, finding its way into the homes and lives of millions of people around the world?

The Xbox 360 Uncloaked
    The Real Story Behind Microsoft's Next-Generation Video Game Console
    A fascinating insider's look at the evolution of the Xbox 360 and Microsoft's ambitious gamble to become a leading force in the multi-billion dollar video gaming industry. Through extensive interviews and unprecedented access, San Jose Mercury News Technology and Gaming Writer Dean Takahashi takes you behind the scenes as he reveals... The birth of the machine as seen through the eyes of the Xbox 360 engineers who designed it... Blow-by-blow coverage of the heated internal debates as senior Microsoft executives battle to define the future of the Xbox brand... The strategic chess moves as Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and company take risk after risk, trying to outmaneuver their archrivals for the brass ring: dominance of the incredibly lucrative video game market... Sony, Nintendo, Electronic Arts, the entire Microsoft Xbox 360 team, and the industry's most celebrated video game developers -- all of the major players are included in this captivating story.

Xbox: The Making of a Bad-Ass Machine
    This book comes on the 10th anniversary of the launch of Microsoft’s Xbox video game console, which debuted Nov. 15, 2001. This history follows the Xbox from conception to launch, and then from launch through today.

All books by Dean Takahashi.

I read the first two when each first appeared, didn't know about the 3rd till now. No idea if there's going to be a similar book charting the development of the Xbox One.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    What I've played of Ryse so far was loads of fun, not as good as Forza or Dead Rising, but a solid third-person brawler with Batman style combat. The colisseum in co-op mode was really cool, with better combos and inventive use of weapons/traps getting the crowd going more. If I can afford it I'll be picking it up at launch unless the reviews say the single player is awful.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    man I was 11 when the first xbox came out, and 15 when the 360 came out. I have been on XBL since '04. jesus.

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Ok, with one week to go, I'm on full hype mode. Great OP man.

The more we are seeing of the OS and how the system works generally, the more excited I get. There's a video on GAF showing IE on the One, considering you can use snap with it, it looks pretty good.

I just want to get my hands on the controller, mess with avatars, settings etc. still undecided on which launch software, so many good looking games :)

fragglefart.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

The more we are seeing of the OS and how the system works generally, the more excited I get. There's a video on GAF showing IE on the One, considering you can use snap with it, it looks pretty good.

I just want to get my hands on the controller, mess with avatars, settings etc. still undecided on which launch software, so many good looking games :)

Feelin' like old times, bro.

SW-4158-3990-6116

Feelin' like old times, bro.

Needs more late night poker dude <3

fragglefart.jpg
    Original Xbox was one of the first things I bought with my own money from my job @ Target.

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    man I was 11 when the first xbox came out, and 15 when the 360 came out. I have been on XBL since '04. jesus.

I've been on live since I beta tested it on the original Xbox. I think I still have my beta package around somewhere.

Doesn't seem like it has been that long, but it's been over 10 years since I first came up with, created, and logged in with my live ID.

Original Xbox was one of the first things I bought with my own money from my job @ Target.

Incidentally, My first console was the gamecube with my own money, because my buddy had the xbox. Then I collected a shit ton of mountain dew caps and won the lime green original xbox.

Mountain Dew and me and Xbox go way back. Lord only knows when I'll get the One from them though.

• AoiAoi Registered User regular

I've been on live since I beta tested it on the original Xbox. I think I still have my beta package around somewhere.

Doesn't seem like it has been that long, but it's been over 10 years since I first came up with, created, and logged in with my live ID.

Found my copy of the ReVolt beta from that original Live beta from way waaaay back, my old headset, and the little memory unit that came with the beta package recently too. Definitely brought back some great memories.

i remember picking up the oXbox and a copy of Halo sometime after launch and blasting through the campaign over a 12 hour session. all the while holding the Duke controller rather awkwardly with my middle fingers on the triggers. god, did my wrists hurt after that. you'd think the chronic masturbation of a teenage boy would have prepared me for anything, but no, no it did not. still, good times though. :)

also, fun fact: 360 launch title Kameo, which was featured on the 360's box along with other high profile titles had previously featured on the Gamecube's box in years before prior to MS's purchase of Rare.

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »

Found my copy of the ReVolt beta from that original Live beta from way waaaay back, my old headset, and the little memory unit that came with the beta package recently too. Definitely brought back some great memories.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with revolt on that. I found my headset awhile back as well, but the foam had basically turned to dust at that point. The mem card/beta kit packaging is sitting in a box somewhere in my closet I think.

I think my favorite early moments on live were all on mechassualt however. Man did I have a blast on that.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular

Same! I remember going down to Currys (I lived in a weird town) on my lunch break at school and getting one with Halo and Midtown Madness using money from my first weekend job.

Aoi wrote: »

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with revolt on that. I found my headset awhile back as well, but the foam had basically turned to dust at that point. The mem card/beta kit packaging is sitting in a box somewhere in my closet I think.

I think my favorite early moments on live were all on mechassualt however. Man did I have a blast on that.

Ya know what I had a lot of fun with during that beta? Whacked. It was a pretty simplistic game for the most part, and had a fun sense of humor, but man did no one play it. I wanted to get it retail, but when you have several thousand testers, and none of them are playing your beta... Your retail release is probably going to suck, and man it did from what I understand.

I skipped the oxbox, a housemate at uni bought one though, I remember watching him tearing through Halo, he explained the story one night when I came back from the uni bar wasted as always, it sounded epic, loved it when I played it on PC.

fragglefart.jpg
    I remember the beta - most of my play time went towards either Mech Assault or MotoGP.

I remember the beta - most of my play time went towards either Mech Assault or MotoGP.

Haha, I sucked so bad at MotoGP. Yeah, I spent a LOT of time in Mech Assault, both in and after beta. God, and the janky capture the flag mode they added later. So thrown together, but it was fun.

Ha, getting all nostalgic for the passing generation. I was convinced I'd never enjoy a game as much as classic Goldeneye sessions from back when I was a teen... until Rock Band came along and HOLY SHIT :O

I would do terrible things, and pay INSANE amounts of money to see Rock Band XB1...

fragglefart.jpg
    ok, so just gone on a spree of sending out invites to everyone in the google doc.

@Nicopernicus i think you might have spelt your Live name wrong, i'm guessing it's meant to match your name here but haven't changed it just in case.

@Knight_ Xbox.com is telling me your Live name isn't valid, not sure why that'd be, maybe a typo?

everyone else should have a request, Wraith260 same as on here.

also while we're expanding the social aspect of our gaming, here's a little something for the achievement junkies out there:

http://www.trueachievements.com/register.aspx?rgamerid=135115

for those that don't know or use the site, True Achievements tracks how many people* have earned each achievement and adjusts the score accordingly. the more difficult the achievement the higher the true score. i've gotta be honest i've started caring so much more about my gamerscore since i registered for the site.

*how many people registered to their site at least, which means the more people on it the more accurate it can be.

I bought my first xbox, having camped out in front of the best buy in Cary, NC. We were visited by CliffyB and much of the epic staff, who showed in fancy cars and said it looked like a good system.

A few days later, Taco Bell let me know that I had won an xbox thanks to poor life decisions. I sold that one on the cheap to a good friend who I ended up moving in with, where we constantly held 8 player Halo matches until the apartment collapsed under the weight of its own bro. We also used a Tunneling program to play with other people over the internet, in the heady pre-xbox live days.

The xbox 360 came out when I was much more established as an adult, but I still camped out in front of the same Best Buy. CliffyB and Epic came by again, this time though they were really, REALLY talking up how awesome the xbox was, considering they were balls-deep into Gears of War development at the time.

The xbox 360 thread at G&T was my community during that time, and we had such a great little community that carried over into years of fun gaming nights, from Forza races to drunken poker / uno nights.

Megathreads are no longer a thing, but I do think that this 1-2 month period before this thread goes away has the potential to inject new life into our friends lists and give another great, "new car smell" cycle to xbox live.

Next gen can't get here soon enough.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Well, I'm on the list.

Got my old Xbox the Christmas after launch--was not a console gamer, but my mother offered, and I wasn't going to turn it down (it also seemed to have more to offer than the Gamecube at launch, hardware wise). Found out there were a few exclusives I was REALLY a fan of, and that sealed the deal.

The old 360 G&T thread was good times man :)

fragglefart.jpg
    Ha, getting all nostalgic for the passing generation. I was convinced I'd never enjoy a game as much as classic Goldeneye sessions from back when I was a teen... until Rock Band came along and HOLY SHIT :O

I would do terrible things, and pay INSANE amounts of money to see Rock Band XB1...

goddamn, I played so much Rock Band.

I learned proper limb motion separation from that game, to the point where I could play "Maps" on a real drum kit.

Fukkin' expert drums for life, pissing off my neighbors below.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited November 2013
    goddamnit @Synthesis you couldn't have added yourself like 10 minutes earlier. :P

edit: request sent

Wraith260 on
    Yeah, Imma gonna open up smartglass, clean up my friends list, and add you homps.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    goddamnit @Synthesis you couldn't have added yourself like 10 minutes earlier. :P

edit: request sent

I just got back from work so....no? :P

I haven't even bothered out sending friend requests--probably going to do that on my Surface Pro, then turn on my 360 for some Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.

Synthesis on
    to be honest i don't know why i didn't start doing it sooner. best to get it done while the list is still relatively small.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    @Wraith260 ok i'm dumb, i forgot spaces apparently mattered in XBL names, Knight is Crazy is my gamertag :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
    yeah, just got through it. Smartglass made it much easier than I expected.

If everyone who signs up after me sends requests to everyone below them, we all win.

SW-4158-3990-6116

goddamn, I played so much Rock Band.

I learned proper limb motion separation from that game, to the point where I could play "Maps" on a real drum kit.

Fukkin' expert drums for life, pissing off my neighbors below.

Yeah man, RB taught me basic drums for real, Pro drums pushed that shit until I was busting pedals all over, every song Pro Expert all day erry day, then just carried it on.

I regularly drum at pub jams, still get comments from folks that can't believe I picked that shit up from a video game ha!

I'm hanging off buying Rocksmith because I'm hoping for an XB1 version, the first game was great but man... Those menus D:

fragglefart.jpg
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I really want to get an Xbox one, but I will have to save for it. To be honest, lots of people hate the kinect camera, but I see it as an opportunity for newer games due to it being mandatory and not a fractured install base.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    I really want to get an Xbox one, but I will have to save for it. To be honest, lots of people hate the kinect camera, but I see it as an opportunity for newer games due to it being mandatory and not a fractured install base.

Many people hate it because:

1) It was cool to hate it for a while during the early stages of "teh console warz"
    2) The bad timing of "mandatory camera" and PRISM/NSA scandal
    3) They used the kinect 1, were soured by it, and don't realize just how different the new one is.

The new kinect is really so awesome. Watch the Xbox Fitness and the Kinect/UI videos in the OP.

SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.