As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam WeRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Games and Technology
What is Crusader Kings 2?

Crusader Kings 2 is a strategy game from Paradox Interactive, the makers of all sorts of grand strategy games that span a vast time period, from 1066-the late 20th century. In this case, we are playing their game focused on Europe of the Middle Ages. Specifically, the second of those games. It's probably the best, or at least the least buggy, game they've made. In it, you take control of a dynasty, not a country, and try to guide them as successfully as you can to rank with the great families of history.

What's a Succession game?

For those of you who didn't participate in either the Civ4 succession game or the LP Paradox thread (that sadly crapped out with us all powerful in the 18th century), a succession game is a game where a number of players take control in succession. In Paradox games, that will be when the current ruler dies.

Short and sweet.

Charlemagne is out, even earlier start date. 769

Assassination button is no longer a thing. Rumor is it was assassinated.

Trace on

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I vote we start a succession game once Judaism is added to the game.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'd dig it. Everyone would need SoA though.

Failing that, I'd love to start a succession game as Werner von Hapsburg in 1066.

• Options
    Barbaric_MonkeyBarbaric_Monkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    So in my latest save for my Venice Old Gods play, the huge and powerful Byzantine King will declare war on me about a month into the save, with his opinion of me in the high 80s. Should I just swear fealty to him to avoid this altogether? I've never really played as a vassal of someone before so I figure it could be interesting.

Edit: Oops...Byzantine Emperor...He's not gonna like that.

Barbaric_Monkey on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Well, is it a problem you can solve by removing the casus belli via murder?

Failing that, can you instigate substantial internal turmoil within Byzantium via murder?

How disastrous fealty is or isn't depends upon crown authority. If it's medium or higher, and you don't have a lot of options to climb internal political ladders, it's pretty much a death stroke for your game (in that it will become boring / pointless).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Bend your knee for now.

If he does have high Crown Authority then you need to start making political alliances within Byzantine while doing your best to weaken the power of the Emperor and your political rivals and attempt to put your family on the throne with some marriages. However, you're Venice. So you're on the edge of the Empire and can build your powerbase and attempt an independence revolt.

Low Crown Authority? Expand both within and outside the Empire and eventually revolt. Or get your heir on the throne.

• Options
    Barbaric_MonkeyBarbaric_Monkey Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Venezia is De Jure part of the Empire? Or at least one of the counties I took control of is. I could try and assassinate him, I think I have the funds. If it doesn't work right away then I could always just concede the county that he keeps demanding.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Can we least set a date this time? Something like 1000-1100 (if we start at 867)?

It is such a downer that we never see the end of our succession games because only 3-5 people want to pitch in.

• Options
    A date for when it ends? I don't see why not.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    ck2_5.png

the way people break paradox games never ceases to amaze me.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    World conquest in 25 years? Sheesh.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    And here I am, barely able to keep a duchy together.

I think I focus too much on my eugen--- I mean, my bree-- scratch that, my lineage progr-- family tree.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    This is on my short-list to score during the next big Steam sale.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Did someone say fratricide?!

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Stuff'll probably be on sale Monday, that's when the new DLC drops.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

We should create a ruler and name his Dynasty Seinfeld.

• Options
    Okay. Tomorrow Sons of Abraham drops. I figure I'll give it a week for people to pick up the new expansion and then announce the options for the Succession game.

I'm figuring instead of a time limit we'll go by the total Dynasty Score or give ourselves a set of objectives to complete with a limit of one per player so everybody will get a chance to stretch their muscles.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that everybody should probably have all the expansions up to and including Sons of Abraham to be able to play.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    (not including sunset invasion)

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    yeah sunset invasion is poop from a butt.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    The meeting where they decided to make that DLC must have been hilarious.

"You know what the game is missing? More attrition-less nigh-invincible invasion doomstacks."

"Yeah, that seems about right."

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I started playing this again this weekend after noticing that I had somehow acquired most of the DLC. I'm currently the king of Svitjod. I think I'm doing alright, but it's clear that I need to pay more attention to small details and take control of a few more things, such as my fucking progeny.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of Sunset Invasion. Its just crazy stupid fun.

• Options
    No Sunset invasion during our main Succession games yeah.

We can have hilarious take over the world games with it active though.

Also dammit Sons of Abraham hasn't dropped yet. I took today off to zone out on it and I wanna give it the straight 12 hour play time it takes to burn the new systems into my brain.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    IMO, Wang dynasty for the successiin game.

In seriousness, once SOA drops I'll be playing as Xu Wang, who'll have an asian skin, as a Jewish guy in 867 Ireland. Go ruler creator!

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I really wonder how playing Jewish will be, after all every single muslim nation can jihad on you at any time.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Probably easier than taking the Karen Dynasty and reforming the Persian Empire.

Cause you have the Tengri right to the North you're big enough that you'll have decent levies and buy some Mercs. Also, Byzantium.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    SoA is available now, along with the 2.0 patch. Firing it up now.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Wow. I realize now that I haven't played CK2 since EU4 came out, and I'm noticeably rusty. This is further complicated by the fact that I tried one of the hardest starts possible, Zoroastrian Karen, and wanted to try my hand with ironman. Needless to say, things did not go well.

I'm sticking with ironman, but I think I'll switch over to my good pals the Norse for some fun viking times. I can reliably do well starting as one of the dukes, but I think I'm going to try out one of the counts. Maybe I'll give house Hammer another go, just because they have one of the coolest house names ever.

Edit: Ugh, they changed it so almost none of the Norse holdings have boats at the 867 start, so you can only raid places you can reach on foot, and if I remember right, that only works for neighboring counties anyway. That is a major nerf to the early game for any vikings.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    ck2_5.png

the way people break paradox games never ceases to amaze me.
    My favorite part of this picture:

898/9

Just one of the many things I'd never even consider doing.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Look, I don't want to say I'm cheap, but I was hoping for a gamewide sale of all the DLC (or at least the bigger ones) when SoA came out. I'm not sure I can afford the whole damn thing. At least Vanilla is still fun.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    There will probably be a huge DLC firesale when black friday rolls around. Usually Amazon and Steam will cut them pretty steeply.

• Options
    yeah I'm gonna pick up the customization pack either for black Friday sales or Christmas sales, but sons of Abraham? picked that shit up asap.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    Wow. I realize now that I haven't played CK2 since EU4 came out, and I'm noticeably rusty. This is further complicated by the fact that I tried one of the hardest starts possible, Zoroastrian Karen, and wanted to try my hand with ironman. Needless to say, things did not go well.

I'm sticking with ironman, but I think I'll switch over to my good pals the Norse for some fun viking times. I can reliably do well starting as one of the dukes, but I think I'm going to try out one of the counts. Maybe I'll give house Hammer another go, just because they have one of the coolest house names ever.

Edit: Ugh, they changed it so almost none of the Norse holdings have boats at the 867 start, so you can only raid places you can reach on foot, and if I remember right, that only works for neighboring counties anyway. That is a major nerf to the early game for any vikings.

I think that the Norse start in Nantes has some interesting potential. You start with about 4K dudes, and you have boats. I've been able to get Scotland, Ireland and Wales from that start, but haven't been able to complete the job, get England, and get the Count-->Emperor achievement from it.

My Roman Empire building hasn't exactly failed yet, but it stalled pretty hard. I control the Byzantine Empire, I'm a popular Emperor, I have no retinues at the moment, I have virtually no income and my vassal levies are tiny.

I'm not sure what changed where, but it's really throwing off my ability to defend myself, let alone my ability to conquer.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    abotkin wrote: »

I think that the Norse start in Nantes has some interesting potential. You start with about 4K dudes, and you have boats. I've been able to get Scotland, Ireland and Wales from that start, but haven't been able to complete the job, get England, and get the Count-->Emperor achievement from it.

My Roman Empire building hasn't exactly failed yet, but it stalled pretty hard. I control the Byzantine Empire, I'm a popular Emperor, I have no retinues at the moment, I have virtually no income and my vassal levies are tiny.

I'm not sure what changed where, but it's really throwing off my ability to defend myself, let alone my ability to conquer.

I heard that if your vassals have a negative opinion of you, they won't give you troops.

I wonder if that applies to vassals of vassals.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I kind've wish Paradox would cut it the fuck out with nickle and dimeing us every chance they get. I can sort of understand charging for "special" visual stuff but I still have a hard time figuring out just when exactly music became a thing you could charge for in a game where music isn't all that important.

Personally I just fire up a game of thrones soundtrack for myself but this sort of shit grates on my nerves.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    If someone is thinking of running a new Succession game sometime soon, I would like to proffer my candidacy. I don't have the disposable time to run one myself, but I would love to participate.

Just bought SoA, but I may not get to it immediately as I'm working on XCOM: Enemy within right now.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    I don't think they're nickle and diming us, because I don't own any of that shit except for the stuff I actually want (basically norse and mongol portraits). It's totally unnecessary and it wouldn't exist if it wasn't paid for, and people who want it will pay for it, and people who don't wont, so...

???

• Options
    Oh it's not just that stuff.

It's also the converter, ruler designer and customization thing.

Sure you don't -need- them either but they actually expand the game and in the case of the EUIV converter actually deals with two of their games.

I just kind of find it super annoying that if someone were to -just- get into CK 2 now they'd have to shell out over a hundred bucks for all the -main- DLC with the game. I'm lucky in that I've played CK 2 from the start so when DLC does come out it's just a single purchase.

They should at least bundle all the main DLC stuff together and sell it for sixty bucks.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Trace wrote: »
    Oh it's not just that stuff.

It's also the converter, ruler designer and customization thing.

Sure you don't -need- them either but they actually expand the game and in the case of the EUIV converter actually deals with two of their games.

Well, I got the converter for free by pre-ordering EUIV, so that seems fair. Someone else can wait until the 50% off Steam sale, and get them both cheaper than I paid.
    I just kind of find it super annoying that if someone were to -just- get into CK 2 now they'd have to shell out over a hundred bucks for all the -main- DLC with the game. I'm lucky in that I've played CK 2 from the start so when DLC does come out it's just a single purchase.

Main game: $40
    Sword of Islam: $10
    Legacy of Rome: $5
    The Republic: $10
    The Old Gods: $15
    Sons of Abraham: $10
    Total: $90 (with no sales adjustments)
    They should at least bundle all the main DLC stuff together and sell it for sixty bucks.

They've got the DLC collection, $50, that includes everything except Old Gods and Sons of Abraham, but does include all the other music, unit, and add-on packs (including Ruler Designer). Then there's the Collection which, again, doesn't include TOG or SOA but does include all the cosmetic stuff, which is $80, and comes with the base game, too. (So, basically, you off-the-cuff asked for $60, and they'll sell it to you for $75, which isn't too far off.)

And, of course, the most important point is that Paradox is good at sales, and most of this will be 50%-75% off in a couple weeks.

So, no, I think Paradox is doing this right.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Yeah you also get Sunset Invasion in that DLC pack. I -really- want to buy that so they make more of those sorts of DLC. It's funny that Sunset Invasion and Legacy of Rome are both five dollars because I think that's the perfect example of nonsense pricing by Paradox.

I mean, they're real good at making money obviously but eighty dollars is more than any game I've ever paid for (excluding limited edition stuff) and they're still charging full price for Sword of Islam which came out in June of last year.

I love Paradox but their pricing is stupid. Sure Steam sales more than make up for it but that's not Paradox doing that.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Er, yeah, it is Paradox doing that.

They are under no obligation to discount their games during Steam sales, but they do, and do it well.