As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Webcomic Feels

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Also also how come there are never any lady werewolves?

Except for that one book series.

I think because going werewolf is a symbol for losing control and going feral and hairy and murdering everybody that bugs you.

Which traditionally is not a behavior ladies get to engage in because obviously ladies are delicate flowers not hateful raging beasts. They get ravished BY werewolves, they don't do the ravishing.

They get to be vampires though because lady vampires are about losing control and being all sexy

(not to say that's a GOOD reason, just that seems pretty obviously why there's so few of them. It's hard to sexually objectify a hairy woman with a wolf head)

It's odd, though, because the monthly cycle/lunar cycle thing seems like a pretty natural parallel to draw when you're making nature-based horror stories like werewolf stories should theoretically be

Alan Moore did a pretty interesting bit in Swamp Thing about exactly this, the moon and blood, about the werewolf inside of a woman raging against the injustice and the silence of the lunar goddess

I was just thinking that an explicitly feminist treatment of a werewolf story would be a ton of fun

Like there's totally a ton of thematic ground to cover there

Just, y'know, hardly anyone's done it, I think cuz hairy wolf ladies aren't hawt

I don't know that I'd call it explicitly feminist, but you should track down Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing - the werewolf story is fairly early on, and it's one of the better treatments of the concept I've ever read

Also it made me very sad

That Swamp Thing comic was the first horror comic I ever bought, and I immediately fell in love with Swamp Thing based on it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Wolf's Rain is really well made but I found it honestly a bit too slow paced. Like, there are episodes upon episodes where there's nothing significant happening, or at least you aren't sure if it's significant or not.

Out of the 30 episodes there are about 10 that are largely filler, 4 are pure recap, and the story in the remaining 16 or so they really could have condensed into maybe 10 episodes.

The stuff with the other Nobles and outer cities seemed really interesting, as did a lot of the stuff with the remaining humans, and they barely cover it in the series.

anyway here are some GIS results for "wolfcomics"

yHMEKdcl.jpg

Ru7ngTWl.png

hdFc0LHl.jpg

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure Off-white is the only actually good wolfcomic, and it took a couple of chapters of really bad writing to get there.

I mean I still like the bad ones, but for their badness rather than their goodness.

broken image link
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Writing a comic about wolves seems like it would be an interesting challenge

One of the problems is that you'd have to have super strong art to back it up

dN0T6ur.png
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Did a quick GIS of 'wolf comic' and I don't think that's a road I wanna go down

vEaRQgH.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I am pretty sure Off-white is the only actually good wolfcomic, and it took a couple of chapters of really bad writing to get there.

I mean I still like the bad ones, but for their badness rather than their goodness.

Off-White is a pretty okay webcomic.

I need to archive binge it at some point, because I've fallen so far behind that I pretty much don't remember anything.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    URivdQO.jpg
    Monster Soup has a teenage female werewolf.

• BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    Wasn't there some horror movie in the 80s that had a female news anchor turn into a werewolf live on TV or something?

I think it was called The Howling. I don't remember if it was any good or not.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Yesssssssss more, mooooorrrrre

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    did somebody say.........WOLFCOMICS

H8HcW3Z.png

Wolves trapped in a horrible ecstasy nightmare they cannot wake up from

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Kochikens...please...save this thread before harmonic convergence on page 100...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2VhB7vaZI0

Warning. Warning.

Shitcomic talk is reaching critical levels.

Random Whomps will be deployed until minimum safety protocol levels are reached.

2013-03-06-Cat-Got-Your-Tongue.jpg

2013-06-28-More-Powder-To-Ya.jpg

2012-05-30-Exhibition-Boxing.jpg

2012-11-23-The-Bare-Truth.jpg

2011-07-27-Spiter.jpg

2013-02-08-Driving-Farce.jpg

2012-03-19-Hare-Brained-Schemes.jpg

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    fox sister is sort of about a female werewolf

well, were-fox-thing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Kochikens...please...save this thread before harmonic convergence on page 100...

We don't need saving brother! We've been saved! This is how we're meant to be!

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    T70kanS.jpg

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »
    darths0032.jpg
    Many roleplaying games abstract damage to people into more or less generic "damage points" of some sort. But when it comes to damaging vehicles, it somehow seems much more important to determine exactly what bit of the vehicle has been damaged and what the effect of loss of a specific component will be. This ends up meaning that the vehicle damage tables in a lot of games end up being an order of magnitude larger and more complicated than tables describing damage to living beings.

We also learn from this comic that Jim deals with computers a lot.

darths0033.jpg
    Didn't we just go through this? Seriously, in the movie, there's the whole "There's always a bigger fish" gag - one giant fish grabs the bongo, and another comes along and eats it - then they lose power and Obi-Wan fixes it. And then they go through the whole thing again. Another giant fish chases them, and they escape by the fortunate intervention of a fourth giant fish.

If this sort of thing happens in your game, you'd be well justified in calling your GM uncreative. Or that he needs better random encounter tables.

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    OK, I don't spend all that much time in other threads, so I'm a little behind. Who is Tubedealsindeath, and why does he want to stick feathers up my butt?

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    OK, I don't spend all that much time in other threads, so I'm a little behind. Who is Tubedealsindeath, and why does he want to stick feathers up my butt?

Suffice it to say just add Tube to the pm conversation and don't talk about it in threads

he wants the attention

he's a troll that posts rambling spam PMs to various forum members

he'll be banned in a few minutes, best to just ignore him

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    qUgQx9I.jpg

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    it returns

vEaRQgH.png
    CRYPTOPAPISTS

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hush your lips.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Also also how come there are never any lady werewolves?
    Except for that one book series.

Did anyone link Sortelli's new comic, that was only mentioned a few pages ago? It has lady werewolves.
    http://www.noscrying.com/

2013-11-14-Chapter-3-Page-5.jpg

The art isn't so great, but the writing is interesting enough (for a dull fantasy setting, that is).

Mayday on
  • FIDUSPAWNFIDUSPAWN Registered User regular
    BigBear wrote: »
    Wasn't there some horror movie in the 80s that had a female news anchor turn into a werewolf live on TV or something?

The second one had a very sexy werewolf woman in it. <3

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    2013-11-14-OHS%20160%20WEB.jpg

O Human Star is a good comic that has now flashed back to the present, hence the colour change. There are bits in it that you don't want to read if a priest/grandma is sitting next to you.

How come no one post that one that was in french at first anymore?

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    FIDUSPAWN wrote: »

There's like five or six Howling movies if not more. I think one actually used the residents of an entire town for most of the cast.

Owenashi wrote: »

There's like five or six Howling movies if not more. I think one actually used the residents of an entire town for most of the cast.

Yeah that was the worst one I think. :(

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Gonna need some more details than that. Archime was in french, rice boy and that one with birds were in picture language, still more languages I'm forgetting atm.

Shen wrote: »
    EN-B%C3%AAteenmoi01.png
    EN-B%C3%AAteenmoi02.png
    EN-B%C3%AAteenmoi03.png
    EN-B%C3%AAteenmoi04.png
    Be blessed! Moo-moo!

Even better with the alt text:
    After that a brand of cereals had the same idea and actually did it. For my imaginary rant, it was funny, but in the reality, trying to sell people 'manly' cereals sounded just sexist and sad. Like Pratchett said: 'Always be careful with what you wish, there might be someone listening.'

After that I saw a documentary about industrial milk production and now I scream 'I want soy milk!'

I love the commercial for 'embarassing' products, like toilet paper or hemorroids cream because they can't talk about WHAT their product actually does. When I was a kid I thought Tampax was something about sports, because the commercial were always about women running, swimming and sailing boats.

This one since I think it pretty good.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I thought lycanthropy was a metaphor for a serial killer/wife beater.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it is a metaphor for turning into a wolf monster when the moon is full.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

aRkpc.gif
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Three wolf menstrual cycle

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

Today's Bouletcorp is nsfw.

This discussion has been closed.