As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GIANT BOMB: YOUR SOURCE FOR LIVE WIND JAMMING ACTION

19495969798100»

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Oh please

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what if

what if we don't preserve them

what if we leave video games to die, forgotten

and with them, all forms of new media such as homestuck

bury our sins so that our children may be free

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    -zelda Sure
    -mario kart 7 Maybe
    -mario 3d land No thanks
    -animal crossing Hell no
    -fire emblem Likewise
    -pokemon Very yes
    -shin megami tensei 4 Fuck no
    -luigi's mansion Don't care
    -phoenix wright 5 Maaaaaybe? Never played a PW game
    -professor layton I played the first one for like an hour so maybe?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    because of

Reasons, let's say

i now own a copy of killzone for ps4

i am waffling between whether i should give it a shot or just return it and buy mario next friday with the store credit

Cat-Mario.jpg

is this really a choice

i'm gonna get it one way or the other

i'm just debating whether i should return killzone to pay for it

especially because the same Reasons have lead to me also having an extra DS4

• Options
    Graham what I am sensing is that maybe a 3DS is not the right system for you

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    yeah

it's a great system with a lot of good games, most of which have a really long shelf-life

but if none of those games appeal to your tastes well then

get something else

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Graham what I am sensing is that maybe a 3DS is not the right system for you

Probably not
    I just think it kinda blows that I really want to play Zelda and Pokemon but have basically no other reason to buy the damn thing

• Options
    after watching Jeff play a bunch of Killzone this week I am even more baffled as to why anyone thinks that game is worthwhile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    after watching Jeff play a bunch of Killzone this week I am even more baffled as to why anyone thinks that game is worthwhile

it is

not something i would have bought for myself

but i have it now so

vOv

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    See, I'm super intrigued to find out just what was in the game that broke Jeff

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    yeah but if you can exchange it for something you actually want, that seems like a pretty obvious way to go?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yeah

it's a great system with a lot of good games, most of which have a really long shelf-life

get something else

Man I wish I could
    PS4 has nothing I want until Watch Dogs comes out, and the only reason I'll ever get a WiiU is whenever the next console Zelda game comes out
    This isn't me, like, demanding you fix this for me but I'm just saying, now is not a good time for video games for me

• Options
    you could also get

Not Video Games?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if

Nah. All media should be preserved if possible. Even if it's not good (which is hella subjective). It's how we learn and remember where we've come from, the mistakes we've made (whether societal mistakes or mistakes in the art form itself), and ways to improve on them and ourselves.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    also

theatrhythm
    999/VLR
    mario & luigi superstar something

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    yeah

get something else

Man I wish I could
    PS4 has nothing I want until Watch Dogs comes out, and the only reason I'll ever get a WiiU is whenever the next console Zelda game comes out
    This isn't me, like, demanding you fix this for me but I'm just saying, now is not a good time for video games for me

baaaaackloooooooooog

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Killzone doesn't seem dreadful

Certainly isn't a reason I'd buy a PS4, but if it came with I'd play it a bit.

• Options
    you could also get

Not Video Games?

That's what I'm gonna have to do, which is too bad because I'm excited about the some of the new systems and tech and uses thereof, but the actual applications thereof leave me cold

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    As just a "it'd sure be cool if they did this" thing, yeah, that's fine.

I just want to see people drop forever the idea that just because something was on previous hardware, it should be on new hardware, with regards to legacy support. At some point it really just needs to be let go. I'm not saying anyone here is being rabid about it or anything else, mind. Just saying.

There are a plethora of ways to go about playing old software which don't actively require keeping developers from doing something else.

yeah but all of those ways involve either a) breaking the law, b) buying an old console, and/or c) keeping a console plugged in and taking up shelf space, which in my case is at a premium

consolidating (most of) my shit into a single box is way more convenient for me, and relatively speaking easy to do for older games, and while i get why it wouldn't be a console producer's first priority it's absolutely something i want to see addressed in the future

and i don't really think that's all that silly of me?

Wanting something isn't ever silly

Heck I want it too

But with a situation like this where it becomes increasingly, as the years go by, absurd to expect out of every new platform, I kinda also just want people to drop it.

• Options
    See, I'm super intrigued to find out just what was in the game that broke Jeff

from what I could tell it was the plundering, endless boredom.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    also

theatrhythm
    999/VLR
    mario & luigi superstar something

visual novels that are aggressively japanese do not seem like grey ghost's thing

and if you dislike both mario and jrpgs then i don't know what draw mario and luigi games hold for you

• Options
    yeah

get something else

Man I wish I could

baaaaackloooooooooog

Nah I've already played everything I have any interest in, barring a couple of DLC packs I'm waiting on (Bioshock, Batman, AC4)
    Like... I'm done, man

I bow out

• Options
    I dunno if 999 and VLR are aggressively japanese

Well

Any more than game visual novels in general tend to be aggressively japanese

which to be fair is pretty damn aggressive

• Options
    edited November 2013

I just want to see people drop forever the idea that just because something was on previous hardware, it should be on new hardware, with regards to legacy support. At some point it really just needs to be let go. I'm not saying anyone here is being rabid about it or anything else, mind. Just saying.

There are a plethora of ways to go about playing old software which don't actively require keeping developers from doing something else.

yeah but all of those ways involve either a) breaking the law, b) buying an old console, and/or c) keeping a console plugged in and taking up shelf space, which in my case is at a premium

consolidating (most of) my shit into a single box is way more convenient for me, and relatively speaking easy to do for older games, and while i get why it wouldn't be a console producer's first priority it's absolutely something i want to see addressed in the future

Heck I want it too

But with a situation like this where it becomes increasingly, as the years go by, absurd to expect out of every new platform, I kinda also just want people to drop it.

i don't think it's that absurd though

i mean

i can see dropping it as a default feature, and i can even see dropping it as a free feature

but again

as computers get more powerful, emulating old-ass weaker computers gets easier

expecting them to support backwards compatibility for old generations in some capacity or another just doesn't strike me as unreasonable

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Count me right out of anything called a visual novel

• Options
    yeah

get something else

Man I wish I could

baaaaackloooooooooog

Nah I've already played everything I have any interest in, barring a couple of DLC packs I'm waiting on (Bioshock, Batman, AC4)
    Like... I'm done, man

I bow out

There's always something else, even if you don't know it yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There are like 4 Picross games on the eShop now and also Pushmo/Crashmo

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Well

i don't know if it's "japanese" or "english that has been translated from japanese"

but at least to me, the writing in a lot of japanese games tends to have some kind of low-level commonality to it

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I like Layton because it is the closest I'll ever get to Miyazaki Sherlock Holmes

and I am a glutton for puzzle games

• Options

Heck I want it too

i mean

i can see dropping it as a default feature, and i can even see dropping it as a free feature

but again

expecting them to support backwards compatibility for old generations in some capacity or another just doesn't strike me as unreasonable

it gets easier to emulate the older generations sure, but when something new comes out, the previous thing is still gonna be new enough to make it labor/cost prohibitive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if

Even the mighty Homestuck began with a single man. That one man's desires grew huge, bloated; absorbed technology; began to manipulate the economy. We realized too late that we had created a beast. We had helped turn zero fantrolls into hundreds of thousands of fantrolls. His sin... was ours. And for that reason, I'm taking it upon myself to send Hussie... back to nothing.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options

Heck I want it too

i mean

but again

it gets easier to emulate the older generations sure, but when something new comes out, the previous thing is still gonna be new enough to make it labor/cost prohibitive.

oh yeah, i totally agree

i completely get why ps3/xbox 360 BC isn't gonna be a thing this gen, or if it is it's gonna be through some weird workaround like sony's gaikai thing

i'm talkin' about ps1 and 2, which sony has already emulated once on a weaker system

• Options

Heck I want it too

i mean

but again

Only in the sense that more powerful computers can brute-force emulation. You wouldn't exactly call it easy. It just goes from "impossible" to "possible" at some point.

• Options

Well

i don't know if it's "japanese" or "english that has been translated from japanese"

but at least to me, the writing in a lot of japanese games tends to have some kind of low-level commonality to it

Yeah, it's almost never super great.

I feel confident it's the translation aspect though, because there are absolutely good visual novels out there with good writing, even if the prose can be rather... lacking.

• Options

Heck I want it too

i mean

but again

Only in the sense that more powerful computers can brute-force emulation. You wouldn't exactly call it easy. It just goes from "impossible" to "possible" at some point.

right

and we crossed that threshold with the first two playstations about 7 years ago

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Heck I want it too

i mean

but again

I think the appeal of being able to get what's basically a free influx of cash by re releasing an old, hard to find/play game will keep that kind of thing going for a while. The trick is how predatory the pricing will be. Like, Konami could port Suikoden 2 to the PSN and charge $50 for it and it would still technically be a good deal, considering what that game sells for now.

That also why @rfilyaw it was a good idea picking up MP trilogy for $40. Even if you never play that thing, you're going to be able to flip it for a tidy profit down the road.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

Well

Yeah, it's almost never super great.

I feel confident it's the translation aspect though, because there are absolutely good visual novels out there with good writing, even if the prose can be rather... lacking.

yeah i'm not even saying from a quality perspective

there's just like

weird stylistic quirks that pop up, and depending on the localization, a lot of cultural artifacts that i have no idea how to parse

like the most basic example would be the old standby of "[Phrase]." "[Phrase], eh?"

• Options
    is the PS1 backwards compatibility on the PS3 actual emulation or is it a legacy of the weird fact that the PS2 used a PS1 processor as it's sound chip.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.