As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Traveller Returns, and Leaves Again

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Take lots of cool photos.

Make lots of cool memories.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Eat lots of good food?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Man, the leviathan DLC pulled the story way more together as well.

With all the DLC, it becomes pretty cool!

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    ...Seriously? Nobody's mentioned Minecraft?

You might want to wait til you get back from Madrid to open that can of worms.

Atheraal on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Man, the leviathan DLC pulled the story way more together as well.

With all the DLC, it becomes pretty cool!

like which ones do you mean

leviathan, citadel and the 'extended' ending dlc?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    "if you buy all the dlc it's better"

"The game is fine if you mod it"

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Whoa whoa whoa where do you think you're going, buddy

Sit your ass back down, you ain't goin nowhere til you finish reading homestuck

uc3ufTB.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Whoa whoa whoa where do you think you're going, buddy

Sit your ass back down, you ain't goin nowhere til you finish reading homestuck

see you in another 2 years I guess

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    only two years?

oh ho ho ho

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • medavoxmedavox Registered User new member
    Atheraal wrote: »
    ...Seriously? Nobody's mentioned Minecraft?
    Minecraft got popular in 2009/10, it just went mainstream after that.
    Plus I know he's played it, back in the day.

I suppose I should play some of these Massive Effects if I want to understand who Geth is.
    And also maybe change my avatar to slowpoke.
    Hey, was SOPA a thing within the Missionary Absence?

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    When I was in Portugal there was a bar food called francesinha that was apparently spreading across the peninsula. It's probably called something else over there, but try to grab a plate of it if you can.
    gi9atge.jpg

VRXwDW7.png
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, I need that.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    C6TgFmk.jpg

I think...I think I'm going to make this as soon as a get all the necessary ingredients together.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    OK, here's a short update on what I've done/ caught up on since I got back.

-Watched Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and The Dark Knight Rises on Blu-Ray.

- Wateched random nonsense on Youtube with a friend

- Watched the Lemongrab episodes of Adventure Time with another friend

-Bought a 3DS second-hand
    - 3DS Games purchased: Super Mario 3d Land, Mario + Luigi, Pokemon X, Fire Emblem Awakening and Phoenix Wright.

- Bought (but have played little to none of) Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted 3, Tales of Xillia

-Played a crapload of Fire Emblem

-Went to Spain for a week
    -Took pictures in Madrid and Toledo
    -Learnt a tiny bit of Spanish
    -Did some Religious Stuff
    -Bought a secondhand 3DSXL with most of my spending money I'd brought with me because I couldn't think of much stuff that I actually wanted to buy
    -Took pictures

-Sold iPod Touch 3rd Gen to brother, bought secondhand iPod touch 5th gen. It's blue!!!

-Read a fair bit of Homestuck

-Listened to a bunch of Giant Bombcasts while running/walking/doing whatever

-Downloaded a bunch of Giant Bomb videos with Giant Bomb Video Buddy, watched occasionally, laughed heartily

-Played a fair amount of Phoenix Wright

-Bought all 4 seasons of The IT Crowd for £7

I'm fairly sorted on what I'm going to play for a good while. Like, I don't need to buy any other games for a few months. Not to say I won't. But anyway, what should I watch next, and is there any cheap way of getting lots of Blu-rays? Pacific Rim is on my list, by the way.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the entirety of FMA Brotherhood is now available on Blu-Ray. I'll snap that up if I can get it at a non-abominable price.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The 5 movies I'd recommend would be
    Drive
    The Avengers (personal call if you want to watch Thor or Captain America beforehand. Not required, but fun to do).
    The World's End
    Gravity
    Pacific Rim

3 TV Shows:
    Breaking Bad
    Sherlock
    Game of Thrones

AAA Games:
    Mass Effect 2&3
    Skyrim
    Portal 2
    The Last of Us
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Indie Games:
    Bastion
    Journey
    Gone Home

That's the Zeitgeist as I see it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Fishman has the right of it.

Although if you've ever played Oblivion, I would substitute Dishonored for Skyrim. It's not that Skyrim isn't great, or isn't a significant update to Oblivion -- it is both of those things. But in terms of "catching up" on the state of games right now, I think it's easier to look at Skyrim and say, "Yeah, I already know what's going on there. More Elder Scrolls." Dishonored is more of an unknown factor, in that sense.

Of course, that's also subject to what you like playing. Obviously.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dishonored was definitely the best stealth game since...oh, probably MGS 3

• AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    On the topic of stealth games, I'd recommend picking up Mark of the Ninja and especially Gunpoint on Steam at some point. Maybe wait for Gunpoint to go on sale since a playthrough only takes about like 3 hours, but it's super fun. ther indie games I really enjoyed this year were Rogue Legacy and Thomas Was Alone, but I also don't know your tastes too well so I don't know how much you'd like them.

Oh yeah, and there's also Saltybet which has died down a lot since the summer but still a great distraction every now and then.

Shorty wrote: »
    dishonored was definitely the best stealth game since...oh, probably MGS 3

It's way, WAY too easy to evade consequence in Dishonored if you get caught.

You're never really in any peril, and it got kinda boring late-game.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    dishonoured was of that breed of stealth game which gives you a million attack options and nothing interesting to do with any of them

edited October 2013
    Oh no, there's plenty of fun shit to do in a fight.

But that comes at the cost of taking away the sense of real danger.

The closest I ever came to that was
    fighting Daud, because freezing time doesn't affect him.

That, plus the fact that his men show up to help and he sends them away because he insists on a real fight, all while blipping in and out of slow-time, made it feel pretty dang cool.

Dude was a cold blooded murderer, but he still had a sense of honor and dignity, and I can't fault a man for that.

Goatmon on

edited November 2013
    Alright, I realise this thread's been dead for a little while now, but I have stuff I want to talk about that is only really relevant for this thread.

For the past 6 weeks I've been figuring out what to do with my life. it turns out that's a pretty tough thing. I have plently of things I love to do, but not many that are viable career options. As many of you may recall, I didn't have the most ideal home life before I went out on my mission. In some indirect ways (and in some very direct ways) that impacted my education, my focus and even my health.

My mission gave me a huge boost in all three of those things, and it was sorely needed. Going on a mission was the best thing I've ever done. Unfortunately, I'm still in a terrible place as far as officially recognised education goes. On top of that, I came back at the worst point of the year for getting into College or University. For the many Americans on this forum, College and University are different things in the UK. It's complicated.

Anyway. Even while I'm in this period of (in)decision, I want do be doing something. One of my major interests is writing. Unlike my major interest in drawing, I'd like to think I actually have some potential in the field. I like writing my opinions and trying to give people a good laugh. And should I be applying for a course or even a job, I want something solid I can hand to someone and say, "this is my work". OK, not solid in the physical sense. After all, most writing is done on the computer now. But something real.

Everything's got to start somewhere, and as far as writing stuff online is concerned, a Blog sounds like a sound option. But I've never really dealt with Blogs before. I'm not sure where to start. SO. Just as I've asked for help and advice so many times from you guys in the past few weeks, I will now ask...

What site should I use to start a Blog?

Somestickguy on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't wanna discourage you, but writing is pretty hard to make a career. It's something you gotta be really consumed with and love in order to make it work.

Too many people with writing degrees work bad, unrelated, or no jobs. Shit, I switched from Communications to Biology because I realized "writing" wasn't really something I was all that talented at based on my grades.

YL9WnCY.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Livejournal

edited November 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I don't wanna discourage you, but writing is pretty hard to make a career. It's something you gotta be really consumed with and love in order to make it work.

Too many people with writing degrees work bad, unrelated, or no jobs. Shit, I switched from Communications to Biology because I realized "writing" wasn't really something I was all that talented at based on my grades.

At this point, I've heard from one source or another that pretty much everything that I would want to do is hard in some way. At the end of the day I could keep wallowing in indecision or I could actually try something out. Besides, hard is not impossible. I can do hard.

And I don't even know if a writing degree is necessary. Wouldn't it be better to build up a portfolio of writing so that people can see what you can actually do, rather than take someone else's word for it?

Somestickguy on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the thing is that a degree helps you build a portfolio by forcing you to do work, and a diverse body of work that you might otherwise not do on your own.

Also, schools allow for a lot of networking opportunities.

YL9WnCY.png
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Livejournal

Thanks, I'll get something started right away.

Also, I think it's high time I evolved from the "henpecking" variety of typewriting. I can be pretty fast, but there are limits. Are there any good programmes that teach you how to type properly?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hahaha I actually thought of that when I looked at the Giant Bomb Quick Look

But it looks like it just challenges you to type faster rather than actually teach you how

Now I'm thinking of the name of my journal.

I'm just throwing random ideas into a notepad file, so naturally these are crap. Suggestions? Here's what I have from the 2 minutes I've spent on thinking about this so far.

2 year blitz

Get with the times

The grand catchup

The Backlog Binge

edited November 2013
    http://jesse-young.livejournal.com/593.html

My first post

I have a feeling I have a lot to learn about both livejournal and writing

Somestickguy on
    Wait

It didn't include the title of my blog

Does it just take my username as the blog title???

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I know I learned a lot from that first entry, Stickguy.

I learned that Livejournal still exists.

http://jesse-young.livejournal.com/

OK I think this is how it's supposed to be

Why does it have 2 completely different ways of displaying your posts

edited December 2013
    Oh, right, I haven't updated on the how the blog is going in a while.

I've since rehosted to Wordpress, and I've pretty much only just started my regular update schedule. I posted a Fire Emblem: Awakening review yesterday, and I've just posted my agenda for the near future. It involves The Walking Dead, Homestuck and Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be!

Somestickguy on
    oh my god I'm so sorry

I was joking about Livejournal. I thought it was an obvious joke, and your response taking me seriously was a joke in turn.

You are much better off with Wordpress.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I have been waiting for your reaction to what you have wrought

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    oh my god I'm so sorry

I was joking about Livejournal. I thought it was an obvious joke, and your response taking me seriously was a joke in turn.

You are much better off with Wordpress.

he was gone for two years!

of course livejournal would come back and be super retro now!

liEt3nH.png
    edited December 2013
    I never kept up with blogs enough to know that Livejournal was ever a thing, let alone that it ceased to be a thing!

No wonder it died, though. that UI is obtuse!

Somestickguy on
    During my time away at a friend's house, I watched Pacific Rim!

As one eternally uninitiated in the ways of alcohol, I will be very disappointed if I was the only one who formulated a "jaegerbomb" joke as soon as the objective was explained