As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 4] The Perfect Day Is Here... Greatness Has Arrived

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Resogun's second boss is Unicron.

• Options
    AaronsxedgeAaronsxedge Tokyo, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I got my PS4 hooked up and working great. BF4 is crashing on me, but resogun is amazing (what the fuck is a keeper? Humans keep dying!).
    I can't believe Amazon got it out to me here in Tokyo in just 4 days.
    My gf still thinks I should sell it, but that is probably not happening unless someone offers me a shit ton of yen. Aside from BF4, I'm having a problem with Twitch.
    My friends can comment on my streams, but I can't see them. I see the number of comments, but not the actual comments in the chat box. Is there a button to turn this on?

Also, please feel free to add me: Aaronsxedgex
    I need some PSN friends!

I got BF, Warframe and Blacklight installed. Hopefully Killzone and AC by the end of December.

Aaronsxedge on
    zx2qzb.jpgrubdcy.png
    PSN: Aaronsxedgex | YouTube: Aaronsxedge
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I spent way more time than was expected playing NBA 2K14. The My Player thing is basically NBA: The RPG with a WWE Plot.

I'm enjoying the hell out of ACIV, but word is that very soon it will get a 1080p patch, so I figured I'd wait. I definitely have enough to play, because I also bought NFS: Rivals...

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am going to make sure I don't want to do anything PSN related on the 29th of November (Australia ps4 release day).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I got my PS4 hooked up and working great. BF4 is crashing on me, but resogun is amazing (what the fuck is a keeper? Humans keep dying!).
    My gf still thinks I should sell it, but that is probably not happening unless someone offers me a shit ton of yen. Aside from BF4, I'm having a problem with Twitch.
    My friends can comment on my streams, but I can't see them. I see the number of comments, but not the actual comments in the chat box. Is there a button to turn this on?

I need some PSN friends!

I got BF, Warframe and Blacklight installed. Hopefully Killzone and AC by the end of December.

When it says "Keepers Detected" then somewhere on the map (though usually pretty close by) some enemies will spawn with a green glow. These are keepers and must be destroyed to free a human.

For the comment issue, no idea, mine did that once. They were being displayed then suddenly they weren't. Not sure what caused it but I've streamed several times and have only had the issue once. Try restarting the stream?

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Finished up Knack, played through all the way on Hard.

Cute game, gorgeous visuals at times. When the core gameplay clicks, it can be loads of fun. Lots of frustrating design decisions though.

TBH, it's a little too long for what's on offer here. Because the gameplay is so samey, and there are very few unique gameplay mechanics, it overstays it's welcome well before the end. Losing about 2-3 of the chapters (out of 13) would have resulted in a brisker, tighter, just plain better overall game. Some other thoughts:
    • Elemental Knack is a welcome gameplay mechnic, but they don't change his abilities/moveset, which is a wasted opportunity IMO. They could have also used a few more of those, and used them more frequently.
    • Small Knack isn't much fun to play, and they start you out as him far too often.
    • The unlock / secret system in this game is GARBAGE. I had more fun with the game once the Combo Meter was unlocked - there's no reason why I should have had to search every nook and cranny for those pieces for 2/3rds of the game before I unlocked it. To me it just smacks of them quickly slapping something in there in place of better secrets, since this had to be a launch game. I would have rather they just put the crystals in those secret chests, and surface all the gadgets through the main story beats.
    • The crystals also seem like a waste, since you can't get even one set of them in a single playthrough. Again, if this was a shorter game, that'd be less of a issue. But screw slogging through another 12 hours of that just to hopefully unlock a special Knack skin, just to play through it AGAIN just to get a trophy. Yeah no.
    • I wish the air attack was more consistent. Sometimes it feels like Knack can fly across the screen to hit an enemy, and other times I can be practically right on top of them and and I'll dive harmlessly right in front of their waiting attack. Same thing applies to dashing (Why can't you air dash over Ice? Grrrr)
    • A larger moveset would have been a welcome change, but I know that was against Mark Cerny's design philosophy for this game. Unfortunately, I don't think the game as a whole is designed to be that accessible to kids or first-timers. Definitely some sort of limited-use long range attack (but not as limited as special attacks) would have been a welcome addition.
    • I wasn't expecting much from the characters / acting, but what's here is pretty groan-inducing. I know, targeting children and whatnot, but even as a children's story, it's pretty bad.
    • On Hard, there are tons of enemies with tiny windows where you can attack them. This in itself isn't bad, but some of the enemy mixes you have to deal with can be excruciatingly annoying, where attacking one enemy leaves you open to 3 others, and their vulnerability windows rarely overlap.

Overall I'm glad I played it, it was more fun than it wasn't, but it feels like it could have been so much more.
    If I were the scoring type, I'd put it at a 6, maybe a 7 if I'm being generous. Definitely a rental or bargain bin pickup if you're into 3D action/platforming games. I wouldn't be opposed to a Knack 2, as long as it had much deeper gameplay and didn't repeat the mistakes of this game. That seems doubtful though, given this game's abysmal reviews.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    My mind is still reeling from the whole GiantBomb DVR bit with Madden from some pages back. Like they said, it is so fucking cool that they actually got to do that and enjoy that moment.

link?

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    My mind is still reeling from the whole GiantBomb DVR bit with Madden from some pages back. Like they said, it is so fucking cool that they actually got to do that and enjoy that moment.

link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCkiOEmOdNM

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Wow very very fast and responsive

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    A successful launch weekend, overall, I think - whiny internet commenters aside. I certainly had fun playing multiplayer with you guys, appreciating all of the awesome next-gen graphics and features, and fumbling with the new hardware and UI. I figured out my post-Sound-Shapes trophy glitch issue (if anyone gets error code NP-32157-8 and can't sync trophies after performing a Cloud Sync in Sound Shapes, send me a PM), and I just beat Resogun on Experienced - after getting the final boss to within a SLIVER of his final health and then struggling to do it again for about 40 minutes. Frustrating at first, satisfying at the end.

Glad I bought KZ for MP since Warframe and Blacklight have been wonky. Still afraid to boot up Warframe, even though I want to try it. I assume they'll be patching it up soon.

The PS4 is fantastic and I can't wait for the indie onslaught. Oh, and next-gen AAA stuff. Until then, the quest for PS4 platinums continues. Re: Resogun: are all trophies attainable in co-op? Because it seems like that might make everything a lot easier/more manageable.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    I think I may just may not like Killzone, I really am not much of a shooter guy, I love Borderlands, but really suck at this. I was mostly getting sick of all the alarms I had to disable. If I could just kill some Helghasts and move on it would be one thing, but those damn alarms. I am hoping I have a funner time with the multiplayer, otherwise I may trade it in towards Assassins Creed.

psn: dantree
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Defective PS4 packed up, now to wait on my new one+the shipping label.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

I need some PSN friends!

When it says "Keepers Detected" then somewhere on the map (though usually pretty close by) some enemies will spawn with a green glow. These are keepers and must be destroyed to free a human.

For the comment issue, no idea, mine did that once. They were being displayed then suddenly they weren't. Not sure what caused it but I've streamed several times and have only had the issue once. Try restarting the stream?

Ohhhh. Man, that game has too much stuff going on for me. Thanks, dude.

I tried doing that, but it still keeps happening. I assume it is just because the PSN is having some issues.

zx2qzb.jpgrubdcy.png
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I was terrified the entire time mine was being shipped to Japan from Amazon.
    I felt like I was defusing a bomb when setting it up. I hope Sony does something nice for you.

zx2qzb.jpgrubdcy.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I was terrified the entire time mine was being shipped to Japan from Amazon.
    I felt like I was defusing a bomb when setting it up. I hope Sony does something nice for you.

It's not Sony, Amazon is going to send me a replacement :D

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Just finished Killzone. That makes it the first KZ game I've ever finished.

My biggest nitpicks are:

Uneven difficulty. On normal it swung between cakewalk and hard as nails a little more often than I'd like.

The stupid free fall/skydiving mission. I literally failed the one where you're free falling to the planet's surface over 50 times in a row.

The game started out gorgeous and colorful, but the latter half was mostly all corridor crawls. Either through laboratories or crumbling buildings.

Plot-wise, I'm surprised no one was handing out twirly villain mustaches for, you know, basically every character in the game. Super heavy handed. Narratively, this is no Halo ODST or Reach.

The good:

Nice guns. Although not being able to get rid of your main assault rifle was dumb. Good variety, though, and I was never hurting for ammo, as long as I was open to picking up a new gun.

Good voice acting. And nice animation to go along with it. This is an area that felt "next gen". Much less wooden and dead-eyed than the average PS3 game. More lively.

Excellent enemy AI. They seemed to work together in discrete groups using sensible tactics to flush me out in a coordinated manner, rather than just taking turns popping their heads out of cover one at a time. This is a big one that I hope next gen consoles allow devs to keep doing and improve on.

Without giving much away, the very last mission was great, and a nice departure from the rest of the game, not to mention the usual FPS trope of killing a million dudes in a big room as a "final boss" encounter.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    I hoping the PS4 ui stuff starts working again soon. It seems like it is a nice feature but I can't use it because of the PSN probs.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Is it worth getting a Vita for Remote Play? I have two TVs so someone else using the TV is never an issue, but I love the Wii-U's gamepad just because it's sometimes nicer to be using a screen like that, also enjoy having TV/films on while I play.

There's a deal on at the moment at Play.com where you can get a Vita plus Tearaway, LBP and a memory card for £140. Worth it? I had a Vita at launch but ended up selling it because I couldn't find any really compelling games (loved Wipeout, wasn't a fan of LBP, Uncharted or Gravity Rush). I do already have PS+ if that's a consideration.

Someone make this decision for me!

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    LutExIV wrote: »
    I hoping the PS4 ui stuff starts working again soon. It seems like it is a nice feature but I can't use it because of the PSN probs.

The entire UI started working for me last night. Did it go down again?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    A successful launch weekend, overall, I think - whiny internet commenters aside.

Well. . .if my PS4 didn't work I think I might be whiny too.

Also, not getting the "Meh. . ." responses to KZ. The music is nice and tense, the plot is perfectly out of a season of 24, and the Cassandra mission I didn't find odd at all (it was one giant puzzle). I thought I'd be lugging around cores for the entire time at half walking speed.

I will say I think a lot of people - given how linear past KZ's are - were thrown off by it's non-hand-holding; especially that first forest level. My first attempt at a playthrough I didn't even see the optional communication station which makes the level a cakewalk. Nor:
    The secret tunnel into the intel location negating the need - other than to set charges - to blast your way through a horde of Helghast.

Still playing it, and still enjoying it.

One final note - AC isn't in 1080p?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    Is it worth getting a Vita for Remote Play? I have two TVs so someone else using the TV is never an issue, but I love the Wii-U's gamepad just because it's sometimes nicer to be using a screen like that, also enjoy having TV/films on while I play.

There's a deal on at the moment at Play.com where you can get a Vita plus Tearaway, LBP and a memory card for £140. Worth it? I had a Vita at launch but ended up selling it because I couldn't find any really compelling games (loved Wipeout, wasn't a fan of LBP, Uncharted or Gravity Rush). I do already have PS+ if that's a consideration.

Yes, you should. You should also have been "buying" the free Vita games that have come up on PS+ so you'll have plenty to play. And the library has really fleshed out now, I've played more games on my Vita than any other console this year.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ScudMuffinScudMuffin MarylandRegistered User regular
    Enjoying all the friend requests, I was really hoping they would clean up the social UI more in line with how Xbox does it. Diving in 3 menus to accept a request is pretty silly. I should be able to do it right from the notification. Otherwise I am loving the UI refresh. Also, I thought there would be a feature similar to the Xbox One where you can "follow" people, so I could add people like games media personalities.

XBL: Scud FTW
    PSN: ScudMuffin
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    TPSou wrote: »

Yes, you should. You should also have been "buying" the free Vita games that have come up on PS+ so you'll have plenty to play. And the library has really fleshed out now, I've played more games on my Vita than any other console this year.

I really need to get a bigger memory card for my Vita. I haven't played most of the IGC titles because Persona 4 is taking most of my memory card, along with FF7 and TO.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Well, I fixed my PS4 only displaying static problem by swapping out my HDMI cable. I'm guessing in all the rearranging of my TV cabinet I must have done something to it? At any rate, it's all been working great since.

Is UPlay borked for everyone? I feel like I may be missing out on something in AC4 because I haven't seen any kind of multiplayer things going on in the single player game.

Also, I really like Remote Play on my Vita, but is there a way to pair a controller to the Vita?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Couple of misc questions.

1. I know that the goal in Resogun is to destroy all the Keepers when they spawn, otherwise your caged humans will die once they disappear. However, there have been many instances where a human just does out of the blue without any Keepe spawns. I've co-oped with a couple of people, and we've been scratching our heads over this. We're doing great, looks like we'll save everyone, but then out of nowhere we lose a human. I've yet to finish a stage where I'm not losing at least one guy.

2. Does the PS4 always record your last 15 minutes of play, or are there some instances that cause it not to record? I had this neat little sequence in KZ I wanted to upload, but when going back of the videos it didn't record any of it.

3. Anyone found a good third party alternative to the cheap headset? On GAF some people were suggesting the Apple earbuds. I tried this in a party chat, and while people's voices came out nice and clear, they complained about a loud buzzing on my end.

4. I'm still super early in AC IV, but an early mission ("And the Sugar?", I think it's called. It's the first mission that has you break into a fort) really rubbed me the wrong way.

The mission encouraged you to be stealthy, but it was damn near impossible to go through undetected. Worse still, it also encouraged you or use the dancers to distract the guards, but if you restart the checkpoint, you still lose the money you spent to hire the dances on the prior attempt.

They also got rid of some really useful mechanics such as fast walking and the ability to auto walk while blending in with a walking crowd.

I'm told the game truly takes off once you literally take off with your crew, but that was a really shitty start that killed my enthusiasm somewhat.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    1. I have yet to see that happen, but someone on reddit was suggesting that sometimes a human will die if your multiplier doesn't get to a certain level. I haven't seen *anything* to substantiate that, so take it with a grain of salt. As far as I know, humans only die in the box if you either A. fail to kill the keepers fast enough, B. miss a keeper when the line-based ones show up, where they rush out of the playing area, or C. hit the wrong keeper when you must kill them in the correct order.

2. I thought I saw GB miss some too, so perhaps it fails sometimes, but it should be working always unless the devs have locked narrative stuff out (which they can, that might be what happened to you)

3. I know nothing about headsets.

4. I'm loving AC4 and just recently got my ship + crew, but no, I didn't have the issue you did, as I've been playing quite brazen and with minimal stealth.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I found out today that the wireless signal in my company office is not good enough for Remote Play. This makes me sad.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Ok. How do you stream audio with your game on Twitch? BF won't play with any audio unless I have a mic in and then it is just plays my voice.

zx2qzb.jpgrubdcy.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The mission encouraged you to be stealthy, but it was damn near impossible to go through undetected. Worse still, it also encouraged you or use the dancers to distract the guards, but if you restart the checkpoint, you still lose the money you spent to hire the dances on the prior attempt.

It's a mixed blessing, you lose consumables on reload (MY THROWING KNIFE!) but you also keep collectible progress.
    I'm told the game truly takes off once you literally take off with your crew, but that was a really shitty start that killed my enthusiasm somewhat.

That's absolutely true. Pirating is great fun. This may be my pirate addiction though. Show me a game with sorta real time ship on ship action and I'm hooked. SM's Pirates! did the same thing to me.

Fire Barrels seem nearly useless though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    C. hit the wrong keeper when you must kill them in the correct order

Wait, that's a thing?

How do you determine the order they need to die?

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    3. Anyone found a good third party alternative to the cheap headset? On GAF some people were suggesting the Apple earbuds. I tried this in a party chat, and while people's voices came out nice and clear, they complained about a loud buzzing on my end.

I'd like to know as well, but every thread I read about this devolves into everyone recommending headphones. I just want a mono earpiece for chat audio only. I've got my eye on some of those wired Plantronics earpieces but I'm waiting to hear confirmation from someone that they actually work with the DS4

Allforce on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ok, I've got some questions too.

1) Been playing a bit of Battlefield 4. I have successfully loaded into Rush, Domination, and Team Deathmatch modes, but it always errors out when I try to join Conquest. It tells me either a) I have been disconnected from the lobby or b) I am unable to join server, please check my connection and try again. Now. My internet is great. I'm on cable, and I know it isn't on my end. Plus, as I mentioned, I have successfully joined 3 other game types. Why can't I join Conquest?

2) Tried to play Resogun co-op with a friend yesterday. We formed a party, had voice chat working just fine while we were in the PS4 dashboard. Loaded Resogun, voice chat still worked. Started playing, lost voice chat about 3 minutes into it, and got an error message that my NAT time might not be appropriate for voice chat. Please check my internet settings and try again. Is this just a bug in the PS4 software right now? This same friend and I have had successful voice chat sessions while playing other games with no problems. The very first day we were on there for like 2 hours, I was playing AC4 and he was playing Killzone, and we had no issues. Also, once voice chat is lost, is there a way to restore it?

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    4. I'm still super early in AC IV, but an early mission ("And the Sugar?", I think it's called. It's the first mission that has you break into a fort) really rubbed me the wrong way.

They also got rid of some really useful mechanics such as fast walking and the ability to auto walk while blending in with a walking crowd.

I had the exact same problem since I'm trying to get full syncs on everything.
    With some finagling you can blend in with the dancers all the way through the base to the door. Don't use the distract action, just stay in the group and waltz through. There is a plausible legit way through too though, which I was working on until I accidentally did the dancers thing.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Question. Is there a trick to getting the second screen thing to work in ACIV? When I try using the app on my ipad it just says the screen is not being used.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    First solid PS4 weekend down, and I can safely say that I love this machine! The load times (I guess I should say LACK of load times) are crazy!

Turn the machine on?
    Bam! Less than two seconds to load the XMB(is it still the XMB?)

Select the PSN store?
    Bam! Instantly in the store.

Playing a game, and hit the PS button?
    Bam! Instantly back to the XMB.

Want to go back into the game?
    Bam! Instantly back into the game.

My one gripe is probably the shortish battery life in the controller.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    If that's the mission I'm thinking of, there's a much easier way into the fort, by going up the left side in a little platforming segment. If you're looking at the fort from the front, the stealthy way up is to the player's left. There will be a hay bale and a dude to assassinate right next to some boxes that lead to a horizontal swinging pole. Basically, just stealth your way up the side, pull guys off the ledge, and work your way over to the lockup.

Also, as a general tip which has helped me greatly in future missions as well -- They seem to be very generous with how oblivious guards are from behind. You can use short bursts of speed to slip past people with their backs turned and avoid a lot of guys. Move from cover to cover and sometimes you can avoid packs of 2 and 3 dudes and just keep progressing forward. It isn't always in your best interest to kill everyone. Sometimes trying to kill everybody is more risky than just skipping them.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Also:
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Finished up Knack, played through all the way on Hard.

Holy shit, you're a champ. I couldn't get past the last bit of the garden at the beginning of the game on Normal... I just said fuck it and bumped it to easy. Which even then, isn't that easy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Re: Resogun keeper stuff - just read elsewhere online (I think on reddit?) that (a) there's one human box per level that only opens if you've achieved a certain multiplier (I think it's 3x?) and doesn't carry any keepers with it - I think I noticed that the little human lets out a robotic scream when he jumps out - and (b) some groups of keepers that have only one enemy highlighted green and the others highlighted red require you to kill each green enemy in the correct order and avoid killing the red enemies in the group before each one turns green. That seems pretty obtuse to me, since I usually am just rushing at keepers with my homing lasers blaring.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Speaking of which, is there any reason at all to turn the PS4 off instead of going into standby mode?

Also curious if you can still boot up your system with the Vita if the PS4 is turned off, it only when it's on standby.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Only in standby I believe.