As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
edited June 2023 in Games and Technology
TVhqHjF.jpg

From http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon's_Dogma:_Dark_Arisen :
"Into the depths of an unknown darkness"

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is the re-release of the original game containing massive new content. The game was revealed at the 2012 Tokyo Game Show. This release contains the full original Dragon's Dogma game, but with new additions such as new enemies, quests, locations, character customization, weapons and armors.

The game comes with 2 disc set for Xbox 360 version. Disc 1 contains the original Dragon's Dogma with the Dark Arisen expansion and with some game tweaks while Disc 2 contains the HD texture pack with Japanese voice acting. Each file has a size of ~1.5gb making a total of ~3gb to be installed on the hard drive.

Although it must be noted that the HD texture pack does not enhance the visuals of the original game. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a big game that is impossible to be fitted into a single DVD9 disc. Instead the visuals in Disc 1 are downgraded to save space for Dark Arisen expansion. The players must install Disc 2 HD texture pack to play the game with its original visuals.

In other words, owners of the original Dragon's Dogma cannot just add the Dark Arisen expansion pack and play the game. Players must own the Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen game.

The expansion pack features stronger foes than the original game. As such the game will prove a challenge for both new players and veterans alike.

Gameplay:
New quests await the Arisen on the cursed island known as the Bitterblack Isle which is located on the outside of Gransys. Players will face new fearsome enemies and discover valuable treasures. Players will be able to take their characters to new heights with brand new high-level skills and augments as well as all new weapons and armour sets. Furthermore, owners of the original Dragon’s Dogma will receive 100,000 Rift Crystals, unlimited Ferrystones and the Gransys Armour Pack consisting of six brand new costumes for free, upon purchasing Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen.

For those that missed Dragon’s Dogma the first time around, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen provides the opportunity to start their journey from the very beginning before tackling the all-new content.

Based on player feedback, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen will make the Dragon’s Dogma gameplay experience even more satisfying with improvements such as easier travel and a more intuitive menu system. For those who already own Dragon’s Dogma and then purchase Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, these improvements will be automatically retrofitted to their original game save data.

And borrowing drom Dashui's old thread:

[Classes]

Basic vocations are the first tier of the nine available vocations. They are unique to each other and each one provides various strengths. Basic vocations can eventually be upgraded to Advanced vocations.

There are three Basic vocations available:

Fighter - The Fighter focuses on the combination of sword and shield abilities.
Strider - The Strider uses a combination of daggers and bows and is capable of performing a double-jump.
Mage - The Mage uses a variety of magic and is the only vocation that can use curative magic.

Advanced vocations are the second tier of the available nine vocations in Dragon's Dogma. They are more powerful versions of the Basic vocations and can combine to achieve Hybrid vocations.

The available Advanced vocations are:

Warrior - A more powerful version of the Fighter that focuses on two-handed weapons.
Ranger - A more powerful version of the Strider that focuses on longbows.
Sorcerer - A more powerful version of the Mage that focuses on offensive magick.

Hybrid vocations are the last tier of the nine vocations in Dragon's Dogma. As the name implies, Hybrid vocations combine aspects of the three Advanced vocations. Only your main character, the Arisen, is able to become a Hybrid vocation.

There are three Hybrid vocations available:

Mystic Knight - The Mystic Knight combines aspects of the Warrior and Sorcerer, and is the only class that can use magick shields.
Magick Archer - The Magick Archer combines aspects of the Ranger and Sorcerer, and is the only class that can use magick bows.
Assassin - The Assassin combines aspects of the Ranger and Warrior, and has no unique weapons but can use a large variety of other weapons.

[Penny-Arcade Multiplayer Player List]

jdarksun has created a submission form and spreadsheet where you can share and view Penny-Arcade forumer information for Dragon's Dogma's online features.

You can enter your forum name and Xbox 360/Playstation 3 tags here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGowSV9zYjdNeHZyeXA2QlJSM1dwRnc6MQ#gid=0

You can view player information here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au0GcLXf5ngYdGowSV9zYjdNeHZyeXA2QlJSM1dwRnc#gid=0

For PS4/XB1/Switch by IceBurner: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe8EXdS_ptgxmEW5onfv2YMHbDVzpvOSbnyTpJ7A6sT0e4Dbg/viewform

Spreadsheet data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pdgge_9v4_apeDwgGV9LDDsLHqeiDQLnoPmCUfmbe4k/edit#gid=1360314541

Steam Group - WANGDD "Wangs ill like fire!" by Arthil: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WANGDD

Dark Arisen brings many new challenges in Bitterblack Island
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD3JJewekqk

Information

- Example builds
dKuD3aH.jpg

- DD at Gamefaqs
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/684236-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen/faqs

- Pawn inclinations by PA's Blain
GOOD
Challenger - Prioritize ranged / support class enemies. Good for attack pawns.
Scather - Prioritize the biggest enemy. Good for tanking pawns.
Utilitarian - Use tactics / buffs. Some people don't like some of the behaviors this causes (monster grabbing instead of just attacking sometimes). But it also encourages sorcerers to team cast for faster spells. Possibly the greatest late game inclination when pawns have a lot of monster knowledge.

OKAY
Medicant - Heal. Good for healbot, but even then probably not in primary because they'll abort other spells to heal.
Mitigator - Prioritize weakest enemies. Usually acts like Challenger, but switches to Useless Kill Stealer randomly.

BAD
Acquisitor - Pick up items. - Even in combat when your team needs you. A tiny bit useful out of combat as the AI sees gathering spots you might not notice and saves you time / weight by gathering for you. But still... no.
Guardian - Guard the Arisen. Not bad in theory, but implementation stinks.
Nexus - Guard other pawns. Ditto. I still might put it on a tank so that I can pretend I've done my due diligence protecting the casters and can go willy nilly with my great stupid hammer. :P
Pioneer - Run ahead. - Largely useless and also pulls every monster in creation.

Pawn Inclination troubleshooting
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Pawn_Inclination_troubleshooting

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
A duck! on

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Picked this up on PS+ and have been seriously addicted, resulting in some seriously shoddy school work.

Just beat the second boss of Bitterblack Isle, though I barely understand what the trick was, just that at some point the Dark Bishop flopped to the ground and I started smashing his head in with my giant mace.

My only real complaint about the game has been how insufferably retarded Pawn AI is, making me desperately wish that the game had a "gambit" system like FFXII. Because I really don't need my mage running up to a gorecyclops and trying to cast Anodyne when I'm at just-below-full health and now my mage is a blood splatter.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Yeah, a lot the stuff on the long run seems to default to Guardian / Medicant.

But at the encampment near Cassardis you can buy potions from Johnathan, a pawn that sells some trinkets. Those potions help you reset and change your pawn's combat inclinations.

The tables where you talk to your pawn help make him/her talk less.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Apparently I was way too attached to Into Free. I have to mute my TV when I start the game up because that new theme song is just so wrong.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Just sing it out loud whenever you fire the game up.

"The Wind is pushing Meeeeeeeeee....."

.....I get some funny looks from my wife whenever I play.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Posted this just before the last thread closed, still applicable

If you find yourself overwhelmed by a powerful opponent, there is no shame in running away

Haha, here's a fucking dragon fool, have fun

Oh you're running away from it? You just failed this ambush quest and it will forever be a blot on your permanent record you pussy

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's a vengeance-record.

edited November 2013
    The newest soundtrack additions are not appreciated very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ0GSuYEF-o

Also I restarted the game for a 6th run. Gonna make a good MK this time. The start is such a drag.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Posted this just before the last thread closed, still applicable

If you find yourself overwhelmed by a powerful opponent, there is no shame in running away

Haha, here's a fucking dragon fool, have fun

Oh you're running away from it? You just failed this ambush quest and it will forever be a blot on your permanent record you pussy

You know, in most games when you run into bandits in the first hour it's a nice little tune-up encounter. And in this game it's horrible, emasculating defeat. Which is a long-winded way of saying I think I'm going to really like this game.

During my time spent as Mystic Knight of Tír na nÓg, I did well under panic, with monster-jaws wrapping around my face yet not quite reaching me.
    Glorious slowdown.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I saw someone mention that there were downloading issues on PSN or some kind of bug with the free PS+ version. Is this true? I've got Dragon's Dogma but I've never played it. Was looking at downloading this for some Xmas time fun.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    I'm not sure if it was corrected. Sometimes the download gets stuck and at other times the installation takes a while.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Oh cool, if that's all it is then I'll download it tonight.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    After playing this game straight for a month, restarting my class 5-6 times just for the kicks of it, I am glad that I can finally say that this drug game has left my system.

But holy sheeet was it a good ride. It certainly justifies my initial belief that this would have been an excellent purchase at release (lack of money + time held me back).

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Actually, I have a question. Is there an easy way to start a completely new game, without wiping my endgame save? Just make a backup in some obscure folder or something?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Actually, I have a question. Is there an easy way to start a completely new game, without wiping my endgame save? Just make a backup in some obscure folder or something?

I don't know all the details, but it involves using an USB and making a backup. There is no other way.

edited November 2013

If you are on PSN making you can back it up to the cloud but I don't think it works like that. My previous save is on a USB. I have most of the Ur-Dragon gear except for the holy mace and the abyssinal shirt there.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

That's kinda annoying. I don't really want to format my only USB for the PS3

M A G I K A Z A M
    I'm on the 360 so I don't know how the file system works on the PS3.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    That's kinda annoying. I don't really want to format my only USB for the PS3

You don't have to format anything. It's not like the silly system the 360 uses. You just copy the save file, and it exists as a simple folder.

edit: Actually, I found a USB stick with my Dragon's Dogma save on it. I can't remember exactly what I was doing with it, but it was some shenanigans involving the final boss, and I needed to back up my save and restore it a few times. It's a 1mb folder just chillin' on the drive.

...Actually I'm sorely tempted to load it back up. Fuck me, there are final boss fights, and then there are final boss fights!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Really? Oh. That's nice.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I kinda burned out on Dark Arisen on the second form of the final boss. I have the best daggers and magick bow in the game and a bunch of the T3 rogue armor pieces and he's still a giant damage sponge that hits like a truck. Got a bit too frustrating.

I still really like this game and would love to see a proper sequel. It's one of those games I don't think anyone played, but fans of RPGs and action combat should really enjoy it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Apparently, he gets more powerful the better the gear you using.

But I agree. One of his Grand Levin attacks borderline requires a wakestone at that point.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The sequel would hopefully remove all possible pedophilia

Bad experience josh?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited November 2013
    I kinda burned out on Dark Arisen on the second form of the final boss. I have the best daggers and magick bow in the game and a bunch of the T3 rogue armor pieces and he's still a giant damage sponge that hits like a truck. Got a bit too frustrating.

I still really like this game and would love to see a proper sequel. It's one of those games I don't think anyone played, but fans of RPGs and action combat should really enjoy it.

I could never get a Devilsbane btw.

From the wiki:
    The difficulty of Daimon's second form is abated as the Arisen and Pawns become higher leveled with powerful skills and "rarified" equipment. "Rarifying" services are provided by Barroch on Bitterblack Isle.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Required for the new thread:
    ACQ94oA.png

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    That, except before it flew off I jumped on its back and lit myself on fire.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

With twin daggers he should die before getting to murder you. Use vim then hop on his face for 1k kisses. He's dead in a couple of seconds. I used this to farm the crap out of him. Never a magic bow. :(

If you aren't using roids, you may have to hop off when he lights himself on fire and come back once or twice.

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    Got fed up with this game and quit after repeatedly trying to get a bugged quest to work without success. I came back after the PS+ release got people talking about it again, and I don't know why I expected it to be any different, but of course the quest is still broken. Apparently it's one of the ones required for an achievement, too.

Fuck this game.

Steam Profile: Lork
    Lork wrote: »
    Got fed up with this game and quit after repeatedly trying to get a bugged quest to work without success. I came back after the PS+ release got people talking about it again, and I don't know why I expected it to be any different, but of course the quest is still broken. Apparently it's one of the ones required for an achievement, too.

Fuck this game.

@lork

Quest character dead/missing?

Won't show up on the board?

How is it broken?

I could never get a Devilsbane btw.

From the wiki:
    The difficulty of Daimon's second form is abated as the Arisen and Pawns become higher leveled with powerful skills and "rarified" equipment. "Rarifying" services are provided by Barroch on Bitterblack Isle.

But abated means lessened.

Moridin889 wrote: »

Fuck this game.

@lork

How is it broken?
    It's the quest "Dying of Curiosity", I'm supposed to find some annoying kid named Valmiro, but he refuses to spawn where he's supposed to be.

Yeah, he does that. Until he doesn't.

With twin daggers he should die before getting to murder you. Use vim then hop on his face for 1k kisses. He's dead in a couple of seconds. I used this to farm the crap out of him. Never a magic bow. :(

If you aren't using roids, you may have to hop off when he lights himself on fire and come back once or twice.

It's been a while but I remember getting shaken off pretty easily. I forget all the second forms' attacks but I remember having a lot of trouble staying attached.

It's been a while but I remember getting shaken off pretty easily. I forget all the second forms' attacks but I remember having a lot of trouble staying attached.

With both physical damage increases and just one of the grip better augments, and a Vim (the vim is important. No stamina = death) You shouldn't have trouble until he actually lights on fire. Occasionally he can get a full Lightning blast on you, but if you're doing enough damage, he is permastunned to death.

• LepLep Registered User regular
    With a magick archer you can just hit magic rebalancer and spam ninefold/sixfold arrows until he dies.

Fuck this game.

@lork

How is it broken?
    It's the quest "Dying of Curiosity", I'm supposed to find some annoying kid named Valmiro, but he refuses to spawn where he's supposed to be.

You might need to talk to a villager first. He gives you some directions.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Required for the new thread:
    ACQ94oA.png

This is the essence of Dragon's Dogma, distilled into its purest natural form and placed into a flask whereupon it is stoppered.

Fuck this game.

@lork

How is it broken?

You might need to talk to a villager first. He gives you some directions.
    I've talked to what feels like a million villagers already and everything in the game and from what I've seen online indicates that the next step is to find him lying next to a bush in front of the encampment. I even get dialogue from my pawns to the effect of "Oh it's that Valmiro guy again, what a doofus!" when I get near that spot. He simply refuses to exist.

Since it's been so long I'm considering switching to the PS3 version and just starting the whole thing over. Does anybody know if the PS+ version comes with any extra DLC that the base Dark Arisen for the 360 might not have? I know Vanquish on PS+ came with all the DLC extras, so I figure it might be the same for other games. Now that I know that you need to level the classes in a certain order to get the optimal stat growth (what a stupid system, by the way) I can get that right this time, too.

I'm having the exact same problem with that quest if it's any consolation!

(I know it really isn't)

This discussion has been closed.