As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trading Event Discussions

BekerBeker Child's Play Program DirectorSeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
Trading via mail is great, but I much prefer in person exchanges. I've been pondering what a trading event might look like, and thought i'd start a discussion to see if we can come up with some good event formats and guidelines.

I'm not sure jumping right into an event where trading is the only activity would be the best, I feel like we need to let Pinny Arcade mature a few more years first. However combining pin trading with a game night seems like an excellent idea. In fact it might be a perfect fit. There is always down time as one game finishes, and you wait around a bit until some other games finish and you can mix up the crowd and play something new. Now the people not playing could bust out their lanyards/boxes/binders at an empty table and begin the trades.

Eventually, actual Pin Trading events seem likely, but what might they look like. A hall could be rented and you could charge admission. But a better way might be to encourage big volume traders to pay a small fee (to cover hall rental, etc) for their own table where they can spread out their wares, and invite any and all with no cover charge to come trade with those at the tables and each other. This is how many swap meets operate.

Personally I've never gotten into the Disney Pin Trading, anyone into that and have experience with meet ups (trade ups?) from that world that we can learn from?

-Beker/Erick
zx6ak2M.png

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I have never gone to one, but I believe most of the big Disney pin trading events are run by Disney themselves.

Maybe we could start with a pre-PAX event before East. Something similar to the MMT or a game night. Meeting up at an arcade or something like that could be fun.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's even close to being big enough to rent out a hall or anything... unless it was at PAX.

I'd like to get a MA/Boston trade event to happen, but I don't think it even makes sense until after PAX East happens.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    There is a pre-PAX event currently in the works for all 2014 PAXes. More details shall come forth in time. I can however offer fabulous prizes for a lucky few.

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I suggested a Pinny Arcade panel for PAX before, and I figured that it would be a great place to do some trading with other pin pals too. It didn't gain much interest though.

Clix on
  • Options
    Imsorad wrote: »
    I suggested a Pinny Arcade panel for PAX before, and I figured that it would be a great place to do some trading with other pin pals too. It didn't gain much interest though.

It got discussed in the Community thread recently, but the main stumbling blocks still exist.

• Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    A bunch of us hung out around the Merch booth off and on at Prime, and talked pins and traded a bit. It was somewhat just an organic meeting based on the fact that Gabe etc were there trading, but it was fun.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »

It got discussed in the Community thread recently, but the main stumbling blocks still exist.

Hmm, I've seen some other panels for PA community oriented things (i.e. the Cookie Brigade panel from Prime 2012).

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    What is this stumbling block people speak of?

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Kind of a drift in topic, but I think this is where the conversation started in the Community Thread.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28397987#Comment_28397987

tl:dr on that seems to be its a bit early for a panel. PA is still figuring out how they want to run PinnyArcade, and the community is still in the flegling stages for its own panel.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Beker wrote: »
    Kind of a drift in topic, but I think this is where the conversation started in the Community Thread.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28397987#Comment_28397987

tl:dr on that seems to be its a bit early for a panel. PA is still figuring out how they want to run PinnyArcade, and the community is still in the flegling stages for its own panel.

Agreed. I'd love to have one at some point, but next year is more likely.

But trading events at PAX? Those are happening.

• Options

I disagree, I think there is plenty of content to fill a panel block. Panelist would be those involved in the pin making process; Mike, Kiko, Levin, (someone I'm missing), and a moderator. I'd love if someone from the community could be that moderator too.

The panel could do a segment explaining a pin from concept to shipment. Talk about the character selection process, show some discarded artwork, talk about the deciding factors of how many of a certain pin to make, do a Q&A, and then.... unveil a new pin or set on stage.

An hour would actually fly by, and both before & after the panel would be a great time to do some trading. That's my opinion anyways.

• Options

I disagree, I think there is plenty of content to fill a panel block. Panelist would be those involved in the pin making process; Mike, Kiko, Levin, (someone I'm missing), and a moderator. I'd love if someone from the community could be that moderator too.

The panel could do a segment explaining a pin from concept to shipment. Talk about the character selection process, show some discarded artwork, talk about the deciding factors of how many of a certain pin to make, do a Q&A, and then.... unveil a new pin or set on stage.

An hour would actually fly by, and both before & after the panel would be a great time to do some trading. That's my opinion anyways.

Agreed, it would also be a matter of setting expectations. The Cookie Brigade panel wasn't bursting with attendees, but I got a good seat for an interesting topic and was able to ask my question: I consider that a win for me. :)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's also the very important matter of who would be on said panel. A Pin panel with panelists entirely of community members? Probably not a huge turnout. A Pin panel with PA staffers and someone from Disney (just spitballing)? That's going to get attendance. Also it's pretty unfair to compare the cookie brigade panel with anything considering with the way scheduling ended up working (and with them having to stay "low key" on WSCC grounds) they ended up with a room that was way too large and at a time slot that was heavily occupied with other major crowd-drawing events. I think everyone that attended enjoyed it, but I don't think there's going to be a repeat anytime soon either.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    There's also the very important matter of who would be on said panel. A Pin panel with panelists entirely of community members? Probably not a huge turnout. A Pin panel with PA staffers and someone from Disney (just spitballing)? That's going to get attendance. Also it's pretty unfair to compare the cookie brigade panel with anything considering with the way scheduling ended up working (and with them having to stay "low key" on WSCC grounds) they ended up with a room that was way too large and at a time slot that was heavily occupied with other major crowd-drawing events. I think everyone that attended enjoyed it, but I don't think there's going to be a repeat anytime soon either.

For sure, and I definitely meant my comments entirely in the positive: I enjoyed the Cookie Brigade panel, and understood the clandestine nature of it.

My broader point was that any panel on the topic would be cool: certainly having PA designers/Disney pin staffers/etc would add to it, but I don't think they are required to still hold a fun panel on Pinny Arcade pins and pin culture. :)