As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS4] Playstation NOW (Gaikai) is announced and detailed - Beta coming later this month

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    If people are interested in picking up NBA 2k14, it looks like Amazon is having a pre-black friday deal on the super fan packs today at 1pm PST. The super fan packs contain the PS3 and PS4 versions (or 360/XBone versions) in 1 downloadable code pack.

I watch little to no Basketball, and the last Basketball game I played was NBA Jam on the SNES.

But the unanimous praise has me keeping an eye on this Amazon deal

If you have no eye for the game of basketball, you probably won't enjoy the NBA 2K games. They're terrific basketball arcadey-sims, but mainly because they empower players to look like they're doing real NBA things. If you're clueless about setting a screen or the pick and roll, you probably won't get too much out of those games.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    From the previous thread.
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I give up: I just can't figure out why there's always one human who dies out of the blue in Resogun.

I restarted the first stage like four times, kept a super close eye on Keepers, but no matter what there would always be a guy who would instantly die.

The only thing I can think of is that there are enemy suicide bombers who crash into your caged dudes, but I'm not seeing any indication to confirm that.

But on the subject of confirmations, I can confirm that the shove button is in AC IV after all. It's the X button, except it's not labeled in the context menu for some odd reason.

One of the humans in stage one requires a 3x multiplier to unlock I believe. It happens when moving into phase 3 if I am remembering correctly.

Anyone able to confirm that? It's really annoying that the game doesn't even hint about this requirement.

That's super lame if true. I'm not a high score person, so I never worry about maintaining a multiplier. But if it's required to save all the humans, I'll probably uninstall this one.

If you're not a high score person why does it matter if you can't save all the humans? Just play it how you want.

I'm not a high-score guy, but I am an objectives guy. And the objective I was given was "save the humans".

Your objective is now to not drop your multiplier for all of the first level.

You can do this, Dirty. You can make it through the first stage without ever dropping your combo and make 5 million points.

I believe in you.

[edit] Oh, and save all humans. That too.
    Well, now someone else is saying multiplier isn't required to save all the humans, so I think I'll be okay.

bss wrote: »
    Someone asked in the earlier thread about the Vita TV: apparently the Japanese OS doesn't have the PS4 Link app yet, so in addition to the whole "no NA accounts" thing, this means really really do not plan on using it for PS4 stuff on launch.

I'm still getting mine on Friday, I'll let you all know if anything changes with it, and I hope it does.
    This makes a lot of sense, actually, since the thing is designed to work with a Dual Shock 3, which can't simulate the DS4's touchpad the way the Vita can.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    I really hope they figure out BF4 shit soon. I'd like to be able to play the game I bought to play with friends WITH said friends.
    When I jump into the server browser and apply some filtered searching, the game crashes and then when I boot it back up it says my save files are corrupted.

Okay, so it's not just me with the corrupted save files...
    I really wanted to tackle single player to unlock the multiplayer guns, and two corrupted saves kinda discouraged me.

Yeah. Until this shit is fixed, there is no way I'm even attempting single player.
    My friend said he had no issues just doing quick match, but there's some gametypes I don't want to play, you know?
    Also, is there a party system so I can just bring my friends and I into a game, or are we shit out of luck and just have to hope the server it dumps us in has an opening or three?

Start party with friends.
    Enter Game
    Pop into multiplayer server.
    System sends out invite to everyone in your party.

It worked in several games I tried it in last night. The one exception is Warframe. It has it's own friend list.

Does this work with every game? At what point does it send the invite? The second you connect to the multiplayer server or when you create a custom game?

The ACIV 1080p patch has gone live, reports claim the game looks and runs terrific.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    The individual Warframe friends list is very frustrating.

vamen on
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    The ACIV 1080p patch has gone live, reports claim the game looks and runs terrific.

WHat was it running at before?

• AoiAoi Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    I really hope they figure out BF4 shit soon. I'd like to be able to play the game I bought to play with friends WITH said friends.
    When I jump into the server browser and apply some filtered searching, the game crashes and then when I boot it back up it says my save files are corrupted.

Okay, so it's not just me with the corrupted save files...
    I really wanted to tackle single player to unlock the multiplayer guns, and two corrupted saves kinda discouraged me.

Yeah. Until this shit is fixed, there is no way I'm even attempting single player.
    My friend said he had no issues just doing quick match, but there's some gametypes I don't want to play, you know?
    Also, is there a party system so I can just bring my friends and I into a game, or are we shit out of luck and just have to hope the server it dumps us in has an opening or three?

Start party with friends.
    Enter Game
    Pop into multiplayer server.
    System sends out invite to everyone in your party.

It worked in several games I tried it in last night. The one exception is Warframe. It has it's own friend list.

Does this work with every game? At what point does it send the invite? The second you connect to the multiplayer server or when you create a custom game?

Well like I said, it definitely doesn't work with Warframe. Not sure about Blacklight (and I'm sure DCUO wouldn't). It seems like it works that way with all the non F2P titles though. For Killzone, we had 5 people in the party chat, one of whom was playing Assassin's Creed. It sent the invite to everyone but the AC person, but he also didn't own the game/hadn't loaded it on his system, so I don't know which reason it didn't send him the invite (guess that's something to test out). We went into a public game, and it sent the invite the moment the party leader dropped into the server. We didn't try it with custom games, but I can't see it working any different with those.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    -2 Totally! You can watch a ton of live streams from the "Live from Playstation" tab I was watching someone play a speed run of knack earlier today
    I'f youre asking can you watch someones specific stream from the PS4? like a person on your friends list? I think so... If they are broadcasting I thing the option shows up if you go to them on your friends list

takes a little time to load but Gaikai is what should make it instantly responsive i think

Friends broadcasts also appear in the "What's New" social feed at the beginning of the Ribbon.
    Are we calling it the Ribbon? Does it have another name?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular

WHat was it running at before?

900p upscaled. I was holding off on more ACIV until the patch hit, good to hear that is now. I know what I'm resuming tonight.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Is Gaikai what is supposed to make PS3 games work in PS4? Does that work already or is that for the future?

bss wrote: »
    Someone asked in the earlier thread about the Vita TV: apparently the Japanese OS doesn't have the PS4 Link app yet, so in addition to the whole "no NA accounts" thing, this means really really do not plan on using it for PS4 stuff on launch.

I'm still getting mine on Friday, I'll let you all know if anything changes with it, and I hope it does.
    This makes a lot of sense, actually, since the thing is designed to work with a Dual Shock 3, which can't simulate the DS4's touchpad the way the Vita can.

Indeed. Could be they're waiting for DS4 support in Vita TV, which is apparently coming. Given that the PS4 isn't even out there yet, from Japan's perspective they have some time still for the feature. Would have been nice for games that don't use the touchpad though.

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    vamen wrote: »
    The individual Warframe friends list is very frustrating.
    Apparently its because of crossplay with PC
    So you can add PC guys to the list and play with them
    vamen wrote: »
    Is Gaikai what is supposed to make PS3 games work in PS4? Does that work already or is that for the future?
    Gaikai intergration is coming in early 2014

Along with BC its supposed to bring increased speed to everything
    Sony revealed during its PlayStation 4 announcement that the PS4's cloud service would be provided by Gaikai and that the two companies intend to deliver several cloud-based capabilities on the PS4.

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

While the PS4 hardware is not natively backward compatible, Gaikai has expressed interest in providing legacy PlayStation titles on PS4 through Gaikai's cloud streaming service. This service has not been explicitly outlined or confirmed by Sony, but Dave Perry, Gaikai's founder, has stated that Gaikai's technology "is so advanced that some day we could easily [run] PS1, PS2, PS3, and the PS Mobile games on any device, including the PlayStation 4."[1]

INSTANT DEMOS

Gaikai has stated that its streaming technology will be capable of providing instant access to game demos via the PlayStation Store.[2]

REMOTE PLAY

Gaikai will enable PS4 games to be played remotely on the PlayStation Vita. Visit the Remote Play Wiki to learn more about Remote Play. This has proven to be effective and seamless, as developers do not have to do much work for compatibility to work. The process is seamless and though not without it's bugs is overall smooth and enjoyable.

SOCIAL GAMING AND STREAMING GAMEPLAY

According to Gaikai, its cloud streaming service will allow players to stream live gampelay from their PS4 to a friend's TV. Players will also be able to take over a friend's game remotely in the case that they need help overcoming a difficult portion of a game.[3]

SHARING

With the addition of the DualShock 4's share button, Gaikai can enable players to upload videos and screenshots to social networks such as Facebook and Ustream.

zllehs on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Ha! I had no idea AC4 wasn't running at 1080p!

Now if the Uplay stuff would actually work so I could get the unlockables.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Dracil wrote: »
    Wow, just got the PS4 camera and it's... tiny compared to the old Kinect.

I would appreciate your feedback, since it's hard to find answers to these questions I have about the camera.

1. What are the zoom functions? Can you have it zoom up to your face, or does the camera take a wide shot of your whole room?

2. Supposedly your voice comes across very clear versus the shitty mic, but what about the voices of people you're chatting with?

3. People are reporting that there currently is no way to turn off the camera from playing your voice. Can you confirm this? Some people countered the claim by saying you can shut off the broadcasting of your voice by holding down the PS button.

1. During the setup it seems like it zooms back and forth by itself, but there seems to be no way in playroom to change that manually.

2. I didn't actually try broadcasting this so no idea. But as far as I can tell, in the recorded video it doesn't pick up my own sound.

3. So same with above with Playroom which might be a special case, but I've heard you can also just plug in the headset to your controller to switch it off.

Other general thoughts on the camera is that there seems to be about a 0.25s lag between my actions and what I see on the TV, which I think was better than the kinect. And some delay may be video latency itself and maybe playroom itself so that it can react. Would like to see a mirror app. Quality felt more noisy and blurred out than I expected and color saturation was terrible.

It had some problem detecting the second controller for AR hockey and I had to restart Playroom to get it to work, but it's a neat take on Pong once we got it to work (you can reshape the field by moving the controller around). I think I need to do more Face recognition as Asobi was sad from having a hard time seeing my face.

So as I'm leaving my PS4 at the gf's place, I will be PS4-less until Friday.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Anybody else enjoying the gameplay implementation of the touchpad?

I love it in warframe where you slide your finger in one of the 4 directions to activate a special power
    (If you dont like it there is a option to use the D-Pad instead)

How is it used in other games and do you guys like it?

zllehs wrote: »
    Anybody else enjoying the gameplay implementation of the touchpad?

I love it in warframe where you slide your finger in one of the 4 directions to activate a special power
    (If you dont like it there is a option to use the D-Pad instead)

How is it used in other games and do you guys like it?

It's pretty cool in Killzone and ACIV. Killzone uses it for changing the mode your little robot friend is in, even in a firefight it's pretty easy to swipe a direction to switch. ACIV lets you click it to get to the map, which you can control by touch.

In both cases I'm surprised by how sensitive it is. Nice feature.

So far the touchpad works best with KZ, as it is essentially used as a third analog wheel. I could see that being especially handy for Mass Effect 4.

@Dracil, how was the lighting in your room? Mine is a big on the low side, so I'm worried if the camera would be able to capture me just fine.

edited November 2013
    Lighting was decent, living room lights.

Also, I really need to hook up my Vita with the PS4 so I can play games remotely. What's required? I can probably get my GF to do anything on the remote side of things until it's hooked up.

Dracil on
    edited November 2013
    Only thing you need to do is punch in a verification code on your Vita when instructed.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I almost feel like the touchpad is too sensitive. Im not very accurate at all with it. I do love the giant button though, and hope the pad gets a little more refined in the future .

Now if you'll excuse me I'm playing asscreed multiplayer in bed because of MAGIC.

I will never get over remote play.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    The touchpad needs to operate like a mouse for text input; the motion control is way to twitchy - especially if your PS4 isn't sitting right in front of you.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So assassins creeds latest patch adds new controls for vita. Tap the screen for touchpad. Tap the lower left for L3 and lower right for R3. Remaps the triggers and makes the back pads touch section bigger.

Essentially they just made Black Flag for Vita and after one multiplayer round (with a heartbreaking last second loss), its absolutely perfect and a huge improvement since even yesterday.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    How the hell is $70 a "deal" for NBA?

Wouldn't that be the price of the PS3 version plus the upgrade fee for PS4? Come on, Amazon.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    and you are absolutely right to. waiting for the video to hit youtube will be the most exciting part of Christmas this year. :)

Reminds me of the video a few years back of the family giving a kid an Xbox box filled with socks. Then when the absolutely devastated child started to cry they all laughed and pointed at him basically saying, "What are you stupid? You know we can't afford an Xbox you dummy, what did you think it was? Ha ha ha!" The family was absolutely annihilated online and became complete pariahs for doing something like this to their kid and then on top of that posting it online. Some people even screamed child abuse. In the end I seem to remember the kid being sent an Xbox by people that felt bad for him while booing and hissing his family.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Okay so I finally have the means to get a PS4, the questions is....where? What non-PSN games are considered the best so far? Don't really care about exclusives.

Normally this is stuff I follow but I didn't want to get tempted and buy one before I could afford it.

Zenitram wrote: »
    Okay so I finally have the means to get a PS4, the questions is....where? What non-PSN games are considered the best so far? Don't really care about exclusives.

Normally this is stuff I follow but I didn't want to get tempted and buy one before I could afford it.

You said non-PSN, but just to make sure, get Resogun no matter what. After that, I'd say the best and most impressive showcases right now are some selection of Assassin's Creed IV, Need For Speed: Rivals, and Killzone. In my opinion anyway. CoD: Ghosts and Lego Marvel seem to be popular too. NBA 2K14 certainly has the next gen look if you would like the game.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Oh I just remembered.

The recent Jimmy Fallon video showing off Playroom demonstrated using a specific app on a tablet to draw things and then toss them out into the world for the little bots to play with. Which app was that? Is it just the official PlayStation app or a different one that isn't even out yet?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • dantreedantree Registered User regular
    It was the playstation app.

psn: dantree
    dantree wrote: »
    It was the playstation app.
    Great, now if Sony will get off their asses and add iPad support...

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Sony exchanging defective PS4's immediately through call support.
    We reached out to Sony today to find out more about the reports of defective PlayStation 4 units. As we mentioned last week, Sony estimates hardware failures at 0.4 percent.

“There have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units,” a Sony representative tells Game Informer. “We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping. The number of affected PS4 systems is less than 1%, which represents a very small percentage of total units shipped to date and is within the expected range for a new product introduction. We understand the frustration of consumers that have had a problem and are working with them and our retail partners to help troubleshoot issues and ensure affected units are exchanged”

We inquired about repair and replacement times for those consumers that choose to approach Sony directly rather than attempt a fix through a retailer. The representative gave us some good news. “SCEA is exchanging units with new replacements for those who call our support line,” he says. “The exchanges are immediate with expedited shipping.

Wanted to put it there as I know some have had bad systems, so get on it and get a new one ASAP.

Cade on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Today is my first day back to work after PS4 release.

Guys. I miss my PS4.

Okay, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it yet, but if you have someone on your friends list that has started streaming, it shows up in your "What's New" tab on the dashboard, as well as in the Recent Activities section on their profile.

• VothVoth Registered User regular
    I hope they get their galkai/bc situation rectified soon. Playing some levels in KZ made me realize that I hadn't finished Dead Space 3 ... but I unhooked my ps3 to make room for my ps4 and would like not to be bothered with trying to Tetris my setup to play it.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    Voth wrote: »
    I hope they get their galkai/bc situation rectified soon. Playing some levels in KZ made me realize that I hadn't finished Dead Space 3 ... but I unhooked my ps3 to make room for my ps4 and would like not to be bothered with trying to Tetris my setup to play it.

My bet is that it'll be a big announcement for E3. I'm betting it doesn't rear its head before then.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Ok, this is getting annoying.

Have any of you with AC4 gotten the Uplay stuff to work?

Mine just always says the Uplay servers are down. If I log in to Uplay with my PC it doesn't recognize that I own the game.

I got the game one time to prompt me for a login/password for my Uplay account, but then it errored and has never asked me for it again.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    I believe my uplay is already linked with my PSN, so it all just worked after activating uplay. But I haven't tried logging into uplay specifically outside of the game.

So I just spent my $10 free credit on the PSN on Warframe platnium... my only regret? That I didnt spend more @__@

The game has a really rich and deep upgrading system for your character/guns/sentinals/special powers once you get used to it

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    My only gripe with the PS4 is that with my usage habits the controller battery needs to be recharged every other day. Question: you can turn off the controller by going into the device manager screen and selecting "Turn off this device" correct?

My only gripes with Warframe is that I think it should auto populate the in-game friends list from your existing PSN friends list, and explain the difference between blue money and platinum money and how platinum is obtained outside of real life cash (not that I'm opposed to spending money on this title).

My only gripe with Resogun is that the second boss is an asshole. And the British lady scared the shit out of me when she started talking to me through the controller.

I <3 streaming. I really, really do. I stream when I can, and I love watching others' streams. Next to playing demos, it's probably the best way to decide if you want to purchase a game. I never thought I'd enjoy the feature nearly as much as I am. It'll probably make various Childs Play marathons more accessible, too, which is cool 'cuz, you know, sick kids. Very, very cool.

Okay, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it yet, but if you have someone on your friends list that has started streaming, it shows up in your "What's New" tab on the dashboard, as well as in the Recent Activities section on their profile.

Yea we were talking about that earlier... pretty cool

Also its fun going to the live with playstation App to see someone else play a game that you deont have (I was watching someone play knack and AC4 earlier)

Nightslyr wrote: »

My only gripes with Warframe is that I think it should auto populate the in-game friends list from your existing PSN friends list, and explain the difference between blue money and platinum money and how platinum is obtained outside of real life cash (not that I'm opposed to spending money on this title).

Platinum can only be obtained with real cash
    Credits is the other currency and can be earned in game

The special attacks in this game are visually impressive and If you read what the other Warframes special abilities are you can only imagine what those moves will look like and how fun they will be to use

Nothing like running into a room full of baddies and taking them all out with one special move

Warframes cost real money though so I suggest finding the one you really want - spending the money - and leveling it up all the way

This discussion has been closed.