As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is it possible to play an army without using warjacks? And would it be any fun?

I love all the models except warjacks.

-SPI- on
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    Is it possible to play an army without using warjacks? And would it be any fun?

I love all the models except warjacks.

yes, most tournament armies are not very jack heavy.

I typically play with 1-2 jack max in a 500 pt game, that number may move to 3 in a 750 game.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    Some sample army lists I whipped up based on battleboxes and their relevant costs :

This army is a basic sorsha 500 pt list, pretty easy to play. Cost of all the models using warstore.net prices would be

Battlebox $31.99
    Widowmakers : $13.59
    Man-o-War Demo Corps unit box + 2 blisters : $51.97
    Mortar : $9.59
    Eiriss : $6.39
    Total Cost : $113.53

Army: Battlebox 500
    Faction: Khador
    Army Points: 495/500
    Victory Points: 20
      Kommander Sorscha Kratikoff [list:62b63834fe]
    • Destroyer
    • Juggernaut
    Man-o-War Demolition Corps (5)
    Widowmakers
    Winter Guard Mortar Crew
    Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios
    [/list:u:62b63834fe]

A 500 point Legion of Everblight list I use for steamroller 2.0 tournaments...its cheese, but works.
    Cost :
    Battlebox : 39.99
    Seraph x3 : 43.17
    Archers : 32.77
    Totem Hunter : 11.99
    Total Cost : 127.92

Army: Lylyth Steamroller - Mobile
    Faction: Legion of Everblight
    Army Points: 497/500
    Victory Points: 17
      Lylyth, Herald of Everblight Seraph Seraph Seraph Shredder Shredder Shredder Blighted Archers (10) Totem Hunter

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    One comment on the Warmachine rules: the full rules are in Prime; the ones that come with the battlegroups are very simplified.

The other books aren't really needed though. All minis come with a stat card with all the info you need, but the books are full of fluff and longer descriptions of units.

full rules are actually in Hordes : Primal, Prime is out of date.

Wah? Warmachine rules are in a Hordes book? What are warcasters doing there?

Nothing. Of course Primal has no focus manipulation rules as its main mechanik is Fury. Everything else is in there, though.

Iskander on
  • WarhedWarhed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    About how viable would a Cryx army be using mostly the Undead Pirate figs and maybe a few warjacks? They tickle me in a way that I like to be tickled.

Warhed on
    edited September 2006
    once the new superiority cryx stuff comes out a Skarre Raiding army will be quite nice.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    once the new superiority cryx stuff comes out a Skarre Raiding army will be quite nice.

Where would be a good place to see some of the new Cryx stuff? I haven't been able to find any good Warmachine fan sites yet.

Warhed on
    edited September 2006
    only place i know that has the stats and stuff are the books, privateer puts the smack down on people having sites with the stats.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I wish this was a video game :( Miniature gaming doesn't excite my friends and I dislike the prospect of painting these things (I'll fuck it up, and instead of some kind of super awesome cool mech, I'll have a piece of coated scrap metal :( ), but it looks SOO fun. And I'm in love with the d20 Iron Kingoms. I still need Liber Mechanika and the new version of the TWT if I want to own all of it, but we haven't played in a while so I haven't been buying :(

Good reading material, excellent art, the RPG is awesome and the modules are some of the best I've ever read/ran. Just...awesomeness. I was thinking of making a thread about the RPG itself before I saw this thread. But I'll not deviate off topic any more:

Warmachine: The models are very pretty and the supporting material is very solid and cool.

piL on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have for more cryx then a good man should.

I am actually scared by each new book that comes out.

Scared I will never, ever, own a fully painted, complete army for ANY wargame, ever.
    Warhed wrote:
    About how viable would a Cryx army be using mostly the Undead Pirate figs and maybe a few warjacks? They tickle me in a way that I like to be tickled.

The undead pirates are a medium infantry unit. They're pretty tough, and they have good surviability, but there's a serious class difference between infantry and even little warjacks. You should be able to work in one or two big jacks, some of the little pursuit ones, and a few infantry units besides.

JohnnyCache on
    edited September 2006
    Is there an army building program for Warmachine/Hordes? Sorry if this has been posted, I didn't seem to notice it.

Warhed on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Warhed wrote:
    Is there an army building program for Warmachine/Hordes? Sorry if this has been posted, I didn't seem to notice it.
    Armies of Immoren

Tallahasseeriel on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Man this game looks awesome. I do not have the money or the skill, but I sure enjoy looking at it. I found some really cool art and am continuing to look for really well painted figures.

devastatorconceptia4.jpg

hunterconceptxe4.jpg

nemoconceptjw9.jpg

swordknightconceptzi2.jpg

I think the Protectorate unit could be huge in Japan. Visually, they look like the Vatican's Zealot Jesuit Society or something. There seems to be something with certain manga and anime getting all crazy and Catholic/Christian imagery (Wolfwood from Trigun, that guy with the cross-shaped SMGs, Hellsing and so on) and these guys are pretty much super Jesuits or something.

warprstdv6.jpg
    That's the fricking Pope!

reckonerconceptlm7.jpg

DouglasDanger on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've made a resolution to finish all my Warmachine models by the end of the year. Towards that end, I've decided to go with a more metal-based color scheme. I might actually post a work-log on my Men O' War if I think it'll be well-received. I need a tripod, though...

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited September 2006
    What are some good places to see painted models/figures?

DouglasDanger on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Well, www.brushthralls.com is sort of like PP's version of 'Eavy Metal, except better hints and tips now. You could also just sort by PP models over at CMON, though I hate that bloated site with a passion.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited September 2006
    Hm. I have seen everything at brush thralls. awesome stuff there.

DouglasDanger on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The people at the local games store I go to play this often and I've finally decided to get a Skorne army.

Now I play 40k, Warhammer and this.

God help me :(

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited September 2006
    skorne is tough to play now, you might want to hold out till the paingivers and basalisks come out in november/december

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    GrimDog420 wrote:
    skorne is tough to play now, you might want to hold out till the paingivers and basalisks come out in november/december

I don't really care, I just like the models.

:p

I will play hordes eventually, because I really like the system, but for now I'm not terribly worried that the new models haven't been released yet.

Edit: Also, it's because everyone else here plays Legion of Everblight, Trollbloods or Circle of Oroboros. As I do not like the Circle of Oroboros and the Trollbloods and I hate a mirror army game almost as much, Skorne were the natural choice.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Recently Ive decided to try out the tabletop RPG scene, and Warmachine has struck my fancy better than most of the other games. Only problem is I got nobody to play with around where I am (good old Dayton Ohio..sigh) There is a local gamestore that sells and has free play for the game..but Id feel a bit akward just walking in and going HEY CAN I PLAY TOO!? ya know?

Anyway, the game looks like a blast to play :D I love the unit design and attention to detail.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    MeepZero wrote:
    Recently Ive decided to try out the tabletop RPG scene, and Warmachine has struck my fancy better than most of the other games. Only problem is I got nobody to play with around where I am (good old Dayton Ohio..sigh) There is a local gamestore that sells and has free play for the game..but Id feel a bit akward just walking in and going HEY CAN I PLAY TOO!? ya know?

Anyway, the game looks like a blast to play :D I love the unit design and attention to detail.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty new to the whole tabletop minis game myself, and folks I've met tend to be nice and willing to help out. If nothing else, they have an interest in getting you up to speed so they have someone new to play with.

Find out when the Warmachine folks usually show up and show up one day to check it out. Play a demo or two and see if the game is for you. Then, watch some folks actually play the game to see how it really works, since the demos are usually using simplified rules. If you still like it, buy a starter box, put it together, and play some games before you sink money into stuff like paints, brushes, etc.

If all that stuff is obvious, nevermind, but in summary, don't worry about just walking up and joining in, everyone had to do that at some point. =)

Karilmat on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty new to the whole tabletop minis game myself, and folks I've met tend to be nice and willing to help out. If nothing else, they have an interest in getting you up to speed so they have someone new to play with.

Find out when the Warmachine folks usually show up and show up one day to check it out. Play a demo or two and see if the game is for you. Then, watch some folks actually play the game to see how it really works, since the demos are usually using simplified rules. If you still like it, buy a starter box, put it together, and play some games before you sink money into stuff like paints, brushes, etc.

If all that stuff is obvious, nevermind, but in summary, don't worry about just walking up and joining in, everyone had to do that at some point. =)
    Thanks for the encouragement there, they give demos on fridays so Ill try it out tomarrow :D

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    MeepZero wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement there, they give demos on fridays so Ill try it out tomarrow :D

No problem. I really enjoy PP's games, and their models look very good. I have my Legion of Everblight box that I've finished putting together, and I'm looking forward to getting rolled in a week or two at my local gaming store.

Have fun!

Karilmat on
    edited October 2006
    I'll post this in here too.

One of the coolest looking models in the game, the Cygnar Thunderhead

thunderhead.jpg

Although it's not as cool with my crappy paint job.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited October 2006
    All of the newer Cygnar stuff is great. This guy is manly and sexy enough to be a Khadoran, too bad he's on the wrong side of the war:

Siege Brisbane
    PIP31032_360.jpeg

And Caine is just pure sex. Think Grammaton Cleric from Equilibrium, only with vintage pistols and steam armor. For him alone I would start a Cygnar army:

Allister Caine:
    caine.news.jpg
    book_caine.jpg

Iskander on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man, I need to dig out my digital camera, since this thread needs more Darius.

I guess the iSight can deal for now.

Couldn't get a good picture of him, but my current 500-point list.

lrg-71-31031_capt_e_dominic_darius_box_set.jpg

Hooray for Darius!

Add one of these fellows, who you've been introduced to already in the thread:

thunderhead.jpg

Pulp the enemy into goo with these:

centurion.jpg
    (A Centurion and a Stormclad.)

Add Full Throttle to taste. Ass-kicking shall commense.

Yes, I know it's three heavies. Only had a chance to play with it once, but it's worked thus far. (Even though the Centurion couldn't roll worth crap to hit Sevvy.)

And one of my favorite 'merc jacks, the Vanguard. (Not part of the list, just for kicks.)

vanguard.jpg

And the "closest thing to a living light 'jack", the Ogrun Bokur.

bokur.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited October 2006
    PMAvers wrote:
    And the "closest thing to a living light 'jack", the Ogrun Bokur.

I think you will find that this title is already occupied by the Khador Man-O-War Kovnik ;)

Iskander on
    edited October 2006
    Iskander wrote:
    I think you will find that this title is already occupied by the Khador Man-O-War Kovnik ;)

I was mainly referencing that the Bokur's about the same size and strength naturally without having to have on fancy thick power-armor. ;)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited October 2006
    im getting rid of some of my warmachine armies if anyone is interested:

link

if linking barter town is not cool, pls delete this :)

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2006
    I just about finished up my Thunderhead.

It's an awesome model, well worth the money just to paint and display.

I think I'm in love.

I'll post pictures of it when I touch it up just a tiny bit more and stuff. It already looks awesome from table distance their are just a few little spots that could look better in the up close pictures I'm gonna take.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited October 2006
    BTW, in case anyone didn't see it, Plycon's Keep is having a sale on Hordes warpacks (due to a ton of Hordes stuff coming out this month). They're 40% off, so $29.99 for them.

http://www.plyconskeep.com/hordes/warpack_special.htm

If you've ever wanted to get into it, this is a good way.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PMAvers wrote:
    BTW, in case anyone didn't see it, Plycon's Keep is having a sale on Hordes warpacks (due to a ton of Hordes stuff coming out this month). They're 40% off, so $29.99 for them.

http://www.plyconskeep.com/hordes/warpack_special.htm

If you've ever wanted to get into it, this is a good way.

I love you. You are so sweet.

(Trollbloods kill kill kill!)

I have a warpack on the way! Yey!

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I will probably be ebaying a large (1500 points +) Cryx army, and a small, ~500 points Trollblood army (with some hella good painted models I got as a gift) sometime in the near future. I can throw a link up to the auction when it's up, if anyone wants to get a solid starting army for either game for cheap. I have all the books except Superiority as well.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited October 2006
    put it on bartertown.org first, no ebay fees at least.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A couple of weeks ago (before I ordered my trollblood warpack), I played in a warpack game (around 300 points), with 2 friends and a stranger. I borrowed the game store owner's Skorne army, one friend had a Trollblood warpack, and his girlfriend, also my friend, was playing the store owner's Ouroburos(sp?) warpack. The fourth is a guy named Nate, playing the dwarf merc, with Ogrun, and six grundback gunners.

We play king of the hill. My trollblood friend decides that since it's his first game with his trolls, he wants to see how slow they die, and charges the Warmachines guy, Nate. So that leaves Rachel and I vying for the top of the hill. She charges. Being Ourobuos, she makes it there first, leaving her warpwolf fighting two of my cyclops savages. My gladiator was sent off to fight the warmachines guy. Rachel's two Arguses, positioned neatly around her warcaster, sit at the top of the hill and she starts getting points.

My gladiator, down the hill, looks up and sees a bowling formation.

"So, what's a slam attack?" I ask, as it's only my second time playing, "I see that I get +3 because of my massive tusks."

One charge, and a few good rolls later, everyone except my four armed elephant jackhammer is prone on the top of the hill. I flat out killed one Argus, dropped the other to comatose levels of retardation, and Kaya is suddenly alone on the top of the hill with my gladiator. Next turn, I kill both the remaining argus and the warpwolf (cyclops's are deadly fury efficient, and Morghoul can hit often and moderately hard).

Then it's Kaya vs my whole warpack.

That was pretty cool. I want my trollblood warpack now, though.

Also, TheOtherHorseman, that was the coolest goddamn review I have ever read, and it flat out pushed me over the edge towards purchasing a warpack.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So I was wandering around various Warmachine stuff and I stumbled on this gem:

PIP31041.jpg

And I immediately thought "Gun Caster" yup, I'm going to start playing.

So I'm going to play as Cygnar, and I had one question: This is guy, Capt. Maxwell Finn, a special character or is he just a kind of warcaster? In the game, do you use a standard 'Warcaster' or any special character? What I am getting at, is I would like to field this guy in basically every game, how feasible is that?

EDIT: Apparently his name is "Allister Caine" (warstore.com mislabeled him) and he has a "Warcaster" model version then an Epic Warcaster" version (shown above). What is the difference in being able to field him?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Epic versions of Warcasters tend to have somewhat different abilities from their normal counterparts, as they reflect "promotion" of sorts. The character has become more powerful since the original model was released. Some digging around might net you some generic descriptions of his new powers. Privateer Press tends to look down on people posting stats, though. To the max.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Epic versions of Warcasters tend to have somewhat different abilities from their normal counterparts, as they reflect "promotion" of sorts. The character has become more powerful since the original model was released. Some digging around might net you some generic descriptions of his new powers. Privateer Press tends to look down on people posting stats, though. To the max.

What is the deal with picking a warcaster though. Is a warcaster just a class of "Warcaster" and there are a bunch of Warcaster named models? Or, is each warcaster an individual unique character with different abilities (a la the specific generals in 40k?)

If they are different, at what point do you get to choose a name Warcaster?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    Different Warcasters have different abilities that lend themselves to different strategies. Some have stuff that boosts 'jacks, others have stuff that improve your infantry and so on.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.