As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Well then props to Paradox for doing awesome sales then.

Still doesn't change the fact their DLC prices suck most of the time.

Edit: I mean hell. Shave five bucks off The Republic and Sword of Islam.

Trace on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Steam sale discounts are set by the publisher/developer

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Yeah you also get Sunset Invasion in that DLC pack. I -really- want to buy that so they make more of those sorts of DLC. It's funny that Sunset Invasion and Legacy of Rome are both five dollars because I think that's the perfect example of nonsense pricing by Paradox.

I mean, they're real good at making money obviously but eighty dollars is more than any game I've ever paid for (excluding limited edition stuff) and they're still charging full price for Sword of Islam which came out in June of last year.

I love Paradox but their pricing is stupid. Sure Steam sales more than make up for it but that's not Paradox doing that.

The pricing is not quite as weird when you consider how long they have spent developing new content for the game, or it you compare it to other strategy games. The base price for Civilization V right now is 90 bucks (if you only include the two big DLCs), and Starcraft 2 with its two standalone expansions will be even more. I do wish the Paradox dlc went on sale more often though!

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    ... oh I see what this is now.

There isn't any fucking competition for Paradox.

Y'know, except themselves.

Edit: Paradox would make a fucking -killing- if they offered a season pass thing. I'd be totally for that too.

Trace on
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Old Gods went on sale about a month after release for 50% off. I was expecting to have to wait for awhile, because I wait until I can get it for half off.

From the patch notes:
    - Being outflanked is now much more devastating, especially through the center or from two sides

It will be interesting to see how dramatic this effect is.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    edited November 2013
    Oh dude I love the patch. Blobs are less dangerous and you can actually win a battle against the tough odds if you position yourself well now. Commanders seem to make about the same impact but traits are really noticeable now. I'd say I could probably wage successful guerrilla warfare now if it came down to it and I had the right commander for the job.

I'll bitch and bitch about their pricing till the cows come home but dammit if the people who make the games at Paradox don't love them like their own children.

Like I said I've had CK 2 since it first came out. I'd say it's about the age of a teenager now. Much less of a pain in the ass than a toddler but still prone to outbursts of stupid and sulking in its room.

Edit: As an aside. Anyone else think that Intrigue should play a part in battles? Sneak attacks, ambushes, throwing dead cows into castles? I've always thought having martial and martial related traits being the only thing determining battles to be somewhat two dimensional in regards to the rest of the game.

Trace on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »
    Old Gods went on sale about a month after release for 50% off. I was expecting to have to wait for awhile, because I wait until I can get it for half off.

From the patch notes:
    - Being outflanked is now much more devastating, especially through the center or from two sides

very.

Also intrigue does play a part in sieges, the higher the difference between the attacker's intrigue and the defender's the more often you'll get rumors of a traitor which reduces their morale and the less often you'll get food smuggled in.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i didn't realize the jewish khazar thing was actually historical so thats interesting!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    But to get to the point I was coming in here to make, I decided to start a game by pressing both the new buttons down in the corner.

I got pretty lucky.
    CAC3EC60FE1D6FDCF6FD1EEE3FA6A77CB96ACB33
    Both in which character it picked (who I am still playing as) and what happened.

Starts off as a count in (the duchy) of Barcelona with a claim on it. Someone else started a faction to get me installed, I was like "hells yeah let's do this" turns out he was on an island and there are no boats at all in that entire area at game start.

whoops.

Took a loan from a jew, bought mercs, won the war on my own. While I was doing that, someone else made Aquitaine into an elective kingdom, so I started a faction to see how much power I had. 700%. I win that war, and find out that the guy I had just replaced had imprisoned basically every other duke, so no revolts even though I was the wrong culture. I waged an unsuccessful war to try to expand into the Muslims, and a successful one to take some of Navarra. Then managed to marry my only son to the first daughter of the king of Austaurus, he never popped out a son. After murdering both her little sisters, it's looking like my grandson might have a mighty fine inheritance.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I do like that when sieging/being under siege, those stupid pop ups telling me that bandits attacked, food smuggled in, etc don't interrupt my warfare.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Yeah.

Steam shows them a few graphs, and then says, "See? Do you see how much money we all make if you go on sale at between 25% and 50% of sticker price?"

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    But to get to the point I was coming in here to make, I decided to start a game by pressing both the new buttons down in the corner.

I got pretty lucky.
    Both in which character it picked (who I am still playing as) and what happened.

Starts off as a count in (the duchy) of Barcelona with a claim on it. Someone else started a faction to get me installed, I was like "hells yeah let's do this" turns out he was on an island and there are no boats at all in that entire area at game start.

whoops.

Took a loan from a jew, bought mercs, won the war on my own. While I was doing that, someone else made Aquitaine into an elective kingdom, so I started a faction to see how much power I had. 700%. I win that war, and find out that the guy I had just replaced had imprisoned basically every other duke, so no revolts even though I was the wrong culture. I waged an unsuccessful war to try to expand into the Muslims, and a successful one to take some of Navarra. Then managed to marry my only son to the first daughter of the king of Austaurus, he never popped out a son. After murdering both her little sisters, it's looking like my grandson might have a mighty fine inheritance.

Stories like these always have me waiting for the Dwarf Fortress moment. At what point do we flood Europe with lava?

What might fuck my game up?

One holy war from that gigantic green blob below me, or a claim war from any of the Karlings.

So basically only Europe can stop me now, might as well call the game won and start a new one :P

kedinik wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

Yeah.

Steam shows them a few graphs, and then says, "See? Do you see how much money we all make if you go on sale at between 25% and 50% of sticker price?"

Oh totally. Though I wouldn't expect this one to go on sale since the same discounts apply to both the Nov & Dec sales this year, and it will be starting up soon

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »

I got pretty lucky.

whoops.

Stories like these always have me waiting for the Dwarf Fortress moment. At what point do we flood Europe with lava?

Speaking of DF, one of the Steam achievements is names something like Dwarf Fortress and the requirement is to have 7 courtiers with the dwarfism trait. I got a nice chuckle from seeing that one.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the crusades now being tied to variable events. I started a game as Nantes, funnily enough about an hour before I saw @Shadowhope recommend it, and had picked apart all of Brittany and then did a prepared invasion on Western Francia where I was able to take the entire northern half of the country. Splendid start, even though the original character with the badass martial stats died a bit early on me, but then the crusades trigger as available, along with 4 or 5 christian holy orders popping up.

Cut to the pope calling a crusade to retake Western Francia from me, which I manage to rebuff fairly well, but then a reconquest event fires for Brittany with 5k troops. I had roughly even numbers, but couldn't raise any more, so I decided to try taking out the Brittany troops since I had just crushed the last of the crusaders that were in my neighborhood, but the revolt troops somehow completely wipe out my army. So with no army left, I end up surrendering to the Brittany reconquest revolt to prevent them from sieging anything outside of de jure Brittany and taking it too. I was able to scrounge up a bit of an army shortly after that, but more crusaders started swarming in, but that warscore was finally high enough to let me white peace out (although it took util about 75% warscore before the pope would take a white peace).

Hopefully now I can maintain my hold on my lands long enough to actually consolidate my power a bit better and maybe retake Brittany. I personally held 3 of the 6 counties when I gave it up, so I can at least take back those 3 all in one war, and hopefully trigger indepence wars or something similar from some of the other counties so I don't have to wait out 3 peace treaties to fully retake it.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm sold on the crusades now being tied to variable events. I started a game as Nantes, funnily enough about an hour before I saw @Shadowhope recommend it, and had picked apart all of Brittany and then did a prepared invasion on Western Francia where I was able to take the entire northern half of the country. Splendid start, even though the original character with the badass martial stats died a bit early on me, but then the crusades trigger as available, along with 4 or 5 christian holy orders popping up.

Cut to the pope calling a crusade to retake Western Francia from me, which I manage to rebuff fairly well, but then a reconquest event fires for Brittany with 5k troops. I had roughly even numbers, but couldn't raise any more, so I decided to try taking out the Brittany troops since I had just crushed the last of the crusaders that were in my neighborhood, but the revolt troops somehow completely wipe out my army. So with no army left, I end up surrendering to the Brittany reconquest revolt to prevent them from sieging anything outside of de jure Brittany and taking it too. I was able to scrounge up a bit of an army shortly after that, but more crusaders started swarming in, but that warscore was finally high enough to let me white peace out (although it took util about 75% warscore before the pope would take a white peace).

Hopefully now I can maintain my hold on my lands long enough to actually consolidate my power a bit better and maybe retake Brittany. I personally held 3 of the 6 counties when I gave it up, so I can at least take back those 3 all in one war, and hopefully trigger indepence wars or something similar from some of the other counties so I don't have to wait out 3 peace treaties to fully retake it.

See, that sounds to me like variable crusades made things a lot more interesting.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of this patch so far.

I feel like in order to succeed on Ironman now, I need to do some really gamey things. Or at least, gamier things. On my Byzantine game, I survived a vassal explosion by just yielding to the demands of the faction and then making the new Emperor (also of my bloodline) my heir; playing as Sweden, Nantes, Dublin, etc., it's just been pretty nasty. Severely reduced Prince-Bishops. Part of it is rust on my part, and not putting in the time to groom perfect heirs, but this patch feels a lot like the last few EU4 patches.

It probably doesn't help that my goal at the moment is to get the Count-->Emperor achievement.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Warblegarble.

My lastest Nantes count->Wendish empire attempt got off to a great start. Basically, I immediately died, leaving me as a small child and a huge amount of time on the clock to North Korea my way to empire.

I had 70% of the empire, the end was im sight, but I had used a conquest CB that made me a duke at some point. So, when a plot killed me via manure explosion, that attempt was a failure.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »
    From the patch notes:

Quick, somebody teach me how battle mechanics actually work! I never bothered to learn any military doctrine other than "more troops are better than less troops", "heavy cavalry counts for more than the others", and "rivers are the devil himself".

Skimming through the patch notes is also reminding me that I never figured out how bishoprics and other religious-holding-related stuff actually works. I never paid much attention to my religious vassals other than checking whether they were paying me or not.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Getting flanked on both sides is like 270% damage bonus. It used to be 50% I think. You basically get obliterated.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Getting flanked on both sides is like 270% damage bonus. It used to be 50% I think. You basically get obliterated.

Holy shit, that's crazy! Assuming they keep rebel armies the way they were, they're going to be a piece of pie to mop up.

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    They changed Mercs and holy orders at the very least. They should always spawn in 3 flanks now. With leaders.

A.) Heavy Cavalry + Horse Archers. Literally the most overpowered combination in the game. Maybe add in pikeman to counter other horse archers and heavy cavalry too. Maybe.

B.) Succession game will start on Saturday and I've got the first two choices (feel free to suggest you're own. We'll vote on it in the end.)

Eudes Capet, Count of Chatres, 867: Interesting start. You start with a claim on the very messy Duchy of Anjou. You have to survive one year with a regent though. However you gotta deal with being right next to Brittany if you manage to take the Duchy and that gets... messy if no one backs you up. I'm going to suggest this as an advanced start simply because you'll want to have knowledge of how alliances work and how playing as a vassal works. Also you're in the Karling blob so that speaks for itself there.

A Welsh Petty King in the 867 start: Cornwall is slightly harder (or easier depending on playstyle) than Gwynedd or Deheubarth but all are interesting and provide plenty of challenge. Of course the British Isles are sort've disconnected from the world and really what's the point beyond making the Empire so this is a beginner start. However it could serve to polish our edges somewhat. Of course with the Vikings things can get god damned crazy so there is that.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I am literally doing an eudes capet run right now.

Pretty fun.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Jerusalem circa 1103 is pretty fun start, too.

Though definitely also not for beginners, as you'll immediately get two jihads dropped on you.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    So is there much point to starting as a jew aside from added difficulty? Tried it out last night and alot of people dislike you due to religion and you pool for marriage is very low due to the lack of other jewish folk. The passover stuff is nice but i dunno if it makes up for it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also.

Jewish start is a given. Although that's way harder than I thought it'd be. So be warned if we pick that it's gonna be a difficult game.

edited November 2013
    One event that needs to get patched out.

That one where you climb up a tower and your mother pushes you off to your death. With 100 opinion of you.

Trace on
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Are there any requirements to joining the succession game or might there be an opportunity for a weak heir to play a round?

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »
    Are there any requirements to joining the succession game or might there be an opportunity for a weak heir to play a round?

I think the "only" requirement is all the major DLC's?

Money is tight atm, so I won't be buying the Sons of Abraham stuff. If that means I cannot load/play the save, I'm out for this round.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Based on my experience playing enlightenedbum's succession game back in the CK1 days, having a few weak heirs mixed in is a GOOD thing, if only to slow down the inevitable drive towards total world domination by the better players.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    shalmelo wrote: »

Based on my experience playing enlightenedbum's succession game back in the CK1 days, having a few weak heirs mixed in is a GOOD thing, if only to slow down the inevitable drive towards total world domination by the better players.

Pfft all you need is a good regent!

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind seeing the DLC requirement waived if it means more people get to play.

Or, if there's enough interest, we could even have a couple of games running simultaneously: one with limited DLC or vanilla, and one with all the non-Aztec DLC.

Count me in either way.

We could run two games, I would definitely be down for that. We could do an x-treme start all-dlc game and a more beginner friendly dlc-less game.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    We could run two games, I would definitely be down for that. We could do an x-treme start all-dlc game and a more beginner friendly dlc-less game.

No retinues? *shudder*

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    From the Paradox forums.

Holy Kingdom to Unholy Nightmare. Spoiled because it contains an event chain that you might not want to spoil for yourself. And its a long story.
    So downloaded Sons of Abraham and I was having the standard game as Ireland in a TOG start, exploring the hilarity of jewish courtiers and loans thereof, pilgrimages that turned me into closet atheists without fail and the occasional Irish Band usurpation of Turkastan turning the aral sea into an Irish Catholic lake (Which is a story all its own, believe you me, you have not seen crusader kings lunacy until you see Irishmen fend off a Cuman invasion singlehanded and troll the Islamic world like it ain't no thing.

But then interesting things happened. I was called into a petty war over a single province by the king of Navarra, my father in law which dragged on for fucking ever because I only recently unified Ireland and I had zero boats and Galicia was taking its sweet time in attacking Navarra, which is when I got the Joan of Arc event chain (won't go into detail here but needless to say, this was fucking amazing) Lasairfionna the Maid of Ormond arrived at my court, the stories that generated where worth a book of their own, turning my king from Cynical to Zealous and aiding my efforts in coming to the aid of the King of Strathclyde in evicting the norse and having him swear to me, greatly improving my martial tech growth and generally being badass, so of course I married her to my heir (this is before I noticed the celibate trait and was like 'Damnit') who promptly got her pregnant because apparently he's a fucking beast. My king became a paragon of virtue, gaining the nickname the Holy, the college of Cardinals has three Irish cardinals at any one time and at least one Irish Pope. Not bad for my first 30 years of ruling.

Thats about the time I had my daughter, Sebdan, the child of SATAN.

I am not kidding, when she was born I got the event chain showing off her odd traits, being very quiet, not crying or giving fuss, creating buzzing noises when around other children and laughing when other people got hurt. So I went to the court chaplain to see if he could calm my obviously insane idea that she is the bastard child of Satan. He of course, did not such thing and confirmed my fear and told me to disinherit the child and imprison my wife as a witch. My options where to kill him to silence the rumours, do as he said or ignore it and pretend nothing is wrong, roleplaying a good and kindly king who could not fathom his wife and daughter being such evil creatures (and being so damned sure Paradox would never do something like actually follow through with the threat of a satanic overthrow of a kingdom) he of course ignored it all.

Thats when a Frankish nun arrived at my court who seemed to get along very well with the child and was a mastermind theologian with 26 learning. Suspicious, sure, but I made her my court chaplain anyway. Then sent her to Hungary to try to convert the Arpad dynasty and she was predictably imprisioned. Ransoming her I got her back and put her in my court chaplain position again.

Thats when she tried to convert me to Cathar.

Thinking nothing of it, I imprisoned her, got her to convert, had her retake the vows and made her a chaplain again (where the hell was I going to get another chaplain with those stats again?)

And shortly thereafter I got an event straight out of the fucking OMEN.

Out for a picnic, my king looked up, saw the nun on top of an old watchtower in her habit (or some other black robes) she shouted down to my daughter Sebdan, proclaiming her love for her. And then jumped. My daughter clapping all the way to her bloody smushy death.

Now thoroughly horrified, I had my daughter educated by Lasairfionna because suddenly shit got real and Paradox was seriously threatening me with the spawn of satan. I figured my not!Joan of Arc with her voice of Jesus and insanely goody good good traits would straighten her out. And for the most part? It did. She became honest, gregarious and Just and I left well enough alone, finally put at ease.

So then my king died and Sebdan came of age. AND BECAME THE INCARNATION OF EVIL. She instantly lost all of her good traits (barring gregarious) and became a cruel, deceitful, lustful, envious impaler who was not only a brilliant strategist because of her education but a GENIUS who was possessed and had the voice of satan modifier to go with her demon spawn modifier.

Thats when family members started mysteriously dying. Some of disease, others by maiming, natural causes, poor health and waaaaaay too many suspicious accidents. Before I realized what was going on I died and Sebdan inherited. In a last ditch hope of making her a better person (and prevent a massive vassal revolt by my dukes) I sent her on a pilgrimage to Rome, her husband, a baron, became regent in her stead (poor bastard, I had her betrothed to the king of Lotheringia but broke it because I didn't want to inflict anything on the poor bastard) So she arrives in Rome, ignoring all chances of being charitable... And proceeds to reveal herself as God in the Basilica of St.Peter and St.Paul.

After being thrown out, naturally, she swears vengeance on the worshippers of false idols and my vassals promptly revolted, trying to put my kinsmen on the throne. ANY OTHER KINSMEN. So I was forced to use my not inconsiderable resources to pull up a few mercenaries.

I needn't have bothered.

Because almost as soon as the wars started I had reinforcements.

From the devil himself.

Three legendary pagan witches, Circe of Greece, Morganna of Wales and Jezebal of the Levant arrived in dublin, each leading five hundred knights, heavy infantrymen and longbowmen to help me put down the revolts, all of them attrative mystics, one an especially talented diplomat, another and exceptional spymaster and still another a great marshal. All of them have exceptional traits and stats and all of them love me as I am the chosen one, giving +500 relations.

So now I have put down the revolts, and my army of the damned terrorize the Irish High Kingdom and there's not a damned thing anyone can do about it but stare in utter horror of the fulfillment of a satanic plot to overthrow a kingdom blessed by the arrival of a warrior saint who now weeps over the corpses of her dead family.

Help me.

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Well.

Huh. That is something.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Couple of weird events by the ai in my last game, though not that weird. First one of the princes of hungary culturally converted to being an avar, and so the reformed avar khanate was terrorizing central europe for a while. Unfortunately his line died and a collateral branch of hungarians took back over.

The other thing that happened is that one of the byzantine heirs converted to sunni islam, and he just took the throne, so...

• RichardRichard Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

Ok! Sign me up then.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Well.

Huh. That is something.
    I guess the next DLC will introduce a magic system and playable elves.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence